It’s OK To Mourn For Our First Female President

585c1f6c1c00000a070ed13b.jpeg

We saw what happens when a woman dares to seek power. It was heartbreaking.

Six months ago I lay in bed with tears in my eyes. I was staring at my tiny iPhone screen, watching a larger-than-life woman stand before a packed crowd in Brooklyn, dressed all in white like some kind of goddess wizard, making history as she officially became the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

For the first time, a woman had a shot at real political power. For the first time, we could tell our daughters: You could be anything! And it would actually be true. As autumn approached, you could feel the excitement. Women were on the brink. On the morning of Election Day, they dressed in pantsuits and welled up, holding their little girls’ hands at the voting booth, posting adorable photos.

That night was a devastation. Ambitious women and girls across the country didn’t get a new role model. They got a smackdown.

Six months ago I lay in bed with tears in my eyes. I was staring at my tiny iPhone screen, watching a larger-than-life woman stand before a packed crowd in Brooklyn, dressed all in white like some kind of goddess wizard, making history as she officially became the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

For the first time, a woman had a shot at real political power. For the first time, we could tell our daughters: You could be anything! And it would actually be true. As autumn approached, you could feel the excitement. Women were on the brink. On the morning of Election Day, they dressed in pantsuits and welled up, holding their little girls’ hands at the voting booth, posting adorable photos.

That night was a devastation. Ambitious women and girls across the country didn’t get a new role model. They got a smackdown.

Though the sexism behind Clinton’s loss has hardly been a secret, it’s taken me awhile to truly grapple with what lays at the bottom of those election results. Clinton’s loss isn’t simply about emails or Russian hacking or James Comey or the perils of the Electoral College or the struggles of the so-called white working class. Underneath that, her loss has everything to do with the different expectations men and women face in our country. Her loss is about what we do to women who dare to seek power.

This struck me as I read Ta-Nehisi Coates’ incredible essay on Barack Obama’s presidency. “To secure the White House,” Coates writes in The Atlantic, “Donald Trump needed only money and white bluster.” This is the simplest evidence you need to understand that of course racism played a role Trump’s election, Coates writes.

Immediately, I realized, Coates missed something.

It wasn’t just money and bluster.

Trump is a man.

Much of the country went for the guy. Sure, technically she got more votes, is winning the popular vote by millions, but a huge percentage of the country went for him. Obama voters switched sides. He won.

With his utter lack of government experience, track record of lies, without disclosing his taxes, with his hateful comments about women, his boast about sexual assault. For all that, Trump was seen as more “authentic” than her. More likable.

That’s sexism. You can dress it up in as many ill-advised email servers or Benghazi hearings as you like.

Time and again, men get a pass.

More: It’s OK To Mourn For Our First Female President

Amen! If you liked the above, you should read the other half of the link.

Marrying Bill could only take her so far, but she did ok considering she had nothing of her own to offer.
Just the smartest and most experienced with the best policies for the nonrich and the country. But go with the bs hate propaganda....dupes.
lol She had no policies other than tax the rich. She has been a high profile fuck up in every job she has ever had.

Though the sexism behind Clinton’s loss has hardly been a secret, it’s taken me awhile to truly grapple with what lays at the bottom of those election results. Clinton’s loss isn’t simply about emails or Russian hacking or James Comey or the perils of the Electoral College or the struggles of the so-called white working class. Underneath that, her loss has everything to do with the different expectations men and women face in our country. Her loss is about what we do to women who dare to seek power.

This struck me as I read Ta-Nehisi Coates’ incredible essay on Barack Obama’s presidency. “To secure the White House,” Coates writes in The Atlantic, “Donald Trump needed only money and white bluster.” This is the simplest evidence you need to understand that of course racism played a role Trump’s election, Coates writes.

Trump is a man.

Much of the country went for the guy. Sure, technically she got more votes, is winning the popular vote by millions, but a huge percentage of the country went for him. Obama voters switched sides. He won.

With his utter lack of government experience, track record of lies, without disclosing his taxes, with his hateful comments about women, his boast about sexual assault. For all that, Trump was seen as more “authentic” than her. More likable.

That’s sexism. You can dress it up in as many ill-advised email servers or Benghazi hearings as you like.

Only one thought comes to mind ...

What unmitigated bullshit.
Quite a few women probably feel that way, sexist puke lol

Trump is a man.

Marrying Bill could only take her so far, but she did ok considering she had nothing of her own to offer.
Just the smartest and most experienced with the best policies for the nonrich and the country. But go with the bs hate propaganda....dupes.
lol She had no policies other than tax the rich. She has been a high profile fuck up in every job she has ever had.
Not. She had a policy for everything...

Trump is a man.

Not. She had a policy for everything...
And yet she said nothing.....

Sooo, you NaziCons chose a lying con artist. Good luck with that.
No sir. That was your side. Sorry if you didn't get the email before the server was wiped.

Just keep on making shit up, Ernie. That's what you're good at.
hillary's lies were documented by Director Comey. She failed to respond to dozens of subpoenas in a timely fashion and likely lied under oath in a Congressional investigation. Sounds like a lying con artist to me.
They dragged out the e-mails for over a year. GOP FBI. And Putin...What a pile of crap/NADA.
No sir. hillary dragged out the emails for nearly 2 years. Had she complied with the first subpoena, the world would have forgotten all about the bitch rotting away in a cell somewhere in Kansas.
BS- Putin and Assange gave out a thousand pages every other day for months. You know it added up to nothing, right, dupe?

Trump is a man.

Honestly, I dont see how she was held back for being a Woman. She had plenty of opportunity in her life, was a Senator, Secretary of State, but because she lost a Presidential Election, it's because of sexism and not how she ran her campaign? Trump actually worked harder than she did when it came to going out on the road and campaigning, whether you liked his message or not. Had he not done that, he would not be president
Many polls showed her up 8 to 10 pts before Comey. Also I think there was a 4 point change for Trumpers refusing to cooperate with polls...

Trump is a man.

Honestly, I dont see how she was held back for being a Woman. She had plenty of opportunity in her life, was a Senator, Secretary of State, but because she lost a Presidential Election, it's because of sexism and not how she ran her campaign? Trump actually worked harder than she did when it came to going out on the road and campaigning, whether you liked his message or not. Had he not done that, he would not be president
Many polls showed her up 8 to 10 pts before Comey. Also I think there was a 4 point change for Trumpers refusing to cooperate with polls...
Liberal pundits had her at 400 electoral college votes.....:rofl:

Trump is a man.

Everyone had her winning easily before Comey...

Trump is a man.

Did comey come out again election night? Link?

Trump is a man.

Did comey come out again election night? Link?
10 days before, and 2...

Trump is a man.

'Everyone' had her winning after Comey as well.

'Everyone' was wrong.

Trump is a man.

'Everyone' had her winning after Comey as well.

'Everyone' was wrong.
WHY is the question. Until Trump takes power.

Trump is a man.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Trump is a man.

She had more policies than tax the rich. Spending was her second policy.

Spending is bad enough, but what Democrats do is spend money on their constituents and not for the better of the country. Vote buying is costing us an arm and a leg but liberals are too blind too see it. They want to keep spending and even expand spending on social goodies like what big-ears did.

Trump is a man.

You can always watch reruns of "Madame Secretary"

Forum List

Back