It’s Time to Unplug the Hype Over Electric Vehicles

Most people have at least two cars. Many with older children have 3 or 4.
Right now the EV market is pretty much exclusively wealthy and upper middle class.
And I would bet 99% of those have gas vehicles too.
A home can't have one charging station. They are going to need 2-3-4. Now you are talking 200 amps or more just for them.

You don't see the EV huggers talking about this, and most of them don't even own one.
Trying to charge to 3 to 4 cars at any one time at home would nearly max out your supply. Maybe put the toilet light on, no more. Then come morning, everyone will have added a handful of miles to their range.

Batteries are as much use as tits on a fish.

If you had a gas pump at your house, would you need two pumps if you had two cars?

If an EV can go 240 miles on a charge, you might need to charge it once or twice a week. You can alternate which cars are on a charger on any given night.
You don't need a fuel pump at home, you can fill up anywhere pretty quick. At home, your EV is pretty much stuck in the same place all the time. I know someone who does that, what a fucking ball ache it is when you want to do something else with the driveway, as opposed to parking a shitty EV in the same place, day in, day out.

Trying to charge to 3 to 4 cars at any one time at home would nearly max out your supply. Maybe put the toilet light on, no more. Then come morning, everyone will have added a handful of miles to their range.

With a 240 mile range, you will need to charge about once a week.
You could charge one a night for four nights

Not that big a deal

You don't need a fuel pump at home, you can fill up anywhere pretty quick. At home, your EV is pretty much stuck in the same place all the time. I know someone who does that, what a fucking ball ache it is when you want to do something else with the driveway, as opposed to parking a shitty EV in the same place, day in, day out.
You will have to charge your EV once, maybe twice a week at night
The rest of the time, the driveway/ garage is yours

And you have as much brains as one of those fish. If you are wealthy enough to put in that many chargers, you are wealthy enough to have the power company put in a drop capable of supporting those chargers.

I do 110 miles per day, minimum. So if I had to charge once a week..........I'm fucked with an EV.
But you are an exception in the UK. The average there is about 20 miles per day, and here in the US, about 40 miles per day. So for the vast majority of people in either nation an EV with only 200 miles range would not be a problem.

You fucking Moon Bats faggots kissed the ass of the filthy ass BLM Negroes that spent six months murdering, rioting, looting, and destroying in over 200 American cities so you can kiss my American ass .

This AGW bullshit is nothing more than a silly scam and you stupid uneducated Moon Bat faggots are simply too ignorant to know it.
LOL Triggered your racist little ass! The fact that you support the treasonous fat senile old orange clown makes your shitty ass anti-American. And we are going to put that orange ass you line up to kiss in jail in the not so distant future. In the meantime, you can lie all you want, but the science is irrefutable, you add GHGs to the atmosphere, the Earth warms. We have proof of this over the vast geological ages, and proof that is what is happening right now. Too bad you are such a low life racist liar and uneducated fool.

You will have to charge your EV once, maybe twice a week at night
The rest of the time, the driveway/ garage is yours
Monday to Friday, I do a minimum 110 miles per day. I don't have a drive, nor a garage. Upstairs apartment and vehicles are parked opposite of street, competing for space.

EV's are no good, are they.

Every other day.
With that many miles, think of all the money you will save on gas.
But the extra vehicle cost to buy the EV van, means i don't save anything for the first 200,000+ miles. And I don't do 200,000 miles a year. So straight away, I'm out of pocket, and that's on a home electric tariff with an EV subsidy of £6,000 to buy and there's drive per mile tax yet. So now what?

And you have as much brains as one of those fish. If you are wealthy enough to put in that many chargers, you are wealthy enough to have the power company put in a drop capable of supporting those chargers.
Back to reality though. An awful lot of people are not that wealthy, plus I checked with my son, who's an electrician, the implications of a home needing to charge 3 to 4 vehicles. That's assuming you can charge at home, a third of motorists can't. He said -

They're usually 32A, most actually being plug and play. Volvo included in the price of an electric vehicle will foot the cost of a spark fitting an outside socket for it. But they're quite shit. 8 hour charge will give about 40 miles range.

Car charging points are radials direct from the DB, so will be 20A. Because there's nothing else on the circuit there's near no voltage drop or reduction in amps so they give a much faster charge.

So to answer your question, if all 4 cars were on individual chargers, yes but that's 80A out of 100 and you're meant to leave 10% clear, so you could have all 4 charging and your kitchen light on, thats it.

If they were all plug and play, given that nothing else on the ring is on, shouldn't trip. But realistically would cause problems.

A house that just wants one charging point would be fine. If a customer wanted 4 points with a 100A supply I'd be reluctant. However generally if a customer has the money for 4 charging points and 4 EV's, they can foot the bill for a new 3-phase supply, giving them 3x 80A - 120A supply's.

Three phase costs install and costs more per month. So charge 3 to 4 cars, just don't bank on haven't more than the toilet light on.

Not too sure how many times I've had to repeat this.

But you are an exception in the UK. The average there is about 20 miles per day, and here in the US, about 40 miles per day. So for the vast majority of people in either nation an EV with only 200 miles range would not be a problem.

But there's that word again, reality. Imagine the sales reps job!! How many do greater than the average and how many do less. I've just been on -

And typed in my vehicle registrations. In the last 4 years, the van has done 44,176 miles and the car 28,852. So combined and averaged 18,257.

Back to reality though. An awful lot of people are not that wealthy, plus I checked with my son, who's an electrician, the implications of a home needing to charge 3 to 4 vehicles. That's assuming you can charge at home, a third of motorists can't. He said -

They're usually 32A, most actually being plug and play. Volvo included in the price of an electric vehicle will foot the cost of a spark fitting an outside socket for it. But they're quite shit. 8 hour charge will give about 40 miles range.

Car charging points are radials direct from the DB, so will be 20A. Because there's nothing else on the circuit there's near no voltage drop or reduction in amps so they give a much faster charge.

So to answer your question, if all 4 cars were on individual chargers, yes but that's 80A out of 100 and you're meant to leave 10% clear, so you could have all 4 charging and your kitchen light on, thats it.

If they were all plug and play, given that nothing else on the ring is on, shouldn't trip. But realistically would cause problems.

A house that just wants one charging point would be fine. If a customer wanted 4 points with a 100A supply I'd be reluctant. However generally if a customer has the money for 4 charging points and 4 EV's, they can foot the bill for a new 3-phase supply, giving them 3x 80A - 120A supply's.

Three phase costs install and costs more per month. So charge 3 to 4 cars, just don't bank on haven't more than the toilet light on.

Not too sure how many times I've had to repeat this.
You still make the assumption that all four vehicles will charge at once

You still make the assumption that all four vehicles will charge at once
The assumption would be that 3 to 4 may need charged at once. The time span it takes to charge one with any decent miles, there's a chance all 3 or 4 car's charging times could clash.

It's one of those, do you gear something up that may be ok, until that moment it gets maxed out.

Here's a one. Wife comes home, puts car on charge. Husband does parcel deliveries, comes home and puts van on charge. Part of the house is an annex and on AirBnB, so the visitor plugs their car in. So you're on three. Does the husband and wife have a teenage kid with a car?

So who gets to use the electric oven first, will the consumer box hold up. Electric shower, electric air heat source pump, electric under floor heating, and the list continues.

The assumption would be that 3 to 4 may need charged at once. The time span it takes to charge one with any decent miles, there's a chance all 3 or 4 car's charging times could clash.

It's one of those, do you gear something up that may be ok, until that moment it gets maxed out.

Here's a one. Wife comes home, puts car on charge. Husband does parcel deliveries, comes home and puts van on charge. Part of the house is an annex and on AirBnB, so the visitor plugs their car in. So you're on three. Does the husband and wife have a teenage kid with a car?

So who gets to use the electric oven first, will the consumer box hold up. Electric shower, electric air heat source pump, electric under floor heating, and the list continues.

Here in California, aside from the efforts to force us into electric cars, we are also increasingly banning natural-gas-fueled appliances. No more electric water heaters, ovens, heating, clothes dryers, etc.

And during the PG&E power outages, a few years ago, I leaned from a friend in an affected area that even gas-fuel appliances didn't work, because gas-fueled pilots lights have already been banned for some time. They needed electrical power to ignite the flame.

As our state is mandating increasing benefits on our already-strained power grid, it is also willfully sabotaging this grid, phasing out reliable sources of power for unstable, “green energy” sources.

Here in California, aside from the efforts to force us into electric cars, we are also increasingly banning natural-gas-fueled appliances. No more electric water heaters, ovens, heating, clothes dryers, etc.

And during the PG&E power outages, a few years ago, I leaned from a friend in an affected area that even gas-fuel appliances didn't work, because gas-fueled pilots lights have already been banned for some time. They needed electrical power to ignite the flame.

As our state is mandating increasing benefits on our already-strained power grid, it is also willfully sabotaging this grid, phasing out reliable sources of power for unstable, “green energy” sources.
How many appliances would run to be the equivalent of a car? So, the capacity may be down to 2 to 3 cars before the switch flips.

The top and bottom of it is, batteries are the Achilles Heal. If they can advance Graphene Supercapacitors technology to have battery capacity, charging will be one to two minutes.

AirBnB?

How many people rent the homes they live in?

How many appliances would run to be the equivalent of a car? So, the capacity may be down to 2 to 3 cars before the switch flips.

The top and bottom of it is, batteries are the Achilles Heal. If they can advance Graphene Supercapacitors technology to have battery capacity, charging will be one to two minutes.
I don’t use much electricity while I am sleeping
Perfect time to charge the car

Not likely.

The rate at which a battery can be charged (or a capacitor) is one part of the problem.

A gallon of gasoline contains the equivalent of roughly 33.7 kilowatt-hours of energy that can be released by burning it. My present car has, I think, a fourteen-gallon fuel tank. So, {14 33.7 ×} about 470 kilowatt-hours of energy in my fuel tank, when full of gasoline. Let's say I coast in to a gas station, my car having just run out of gas a dozen feet short of reaching the pump. Having barely coasted to the pump, let us suppose it takes me about five minutes to fill my tank. ( think I am being pessimistic in this estimate. It's probably closer to two or three minutes, depending on the pump, but let us assume five.) So, fourteen gallons of gasoline, 470 kilowatt-hours of energy, in 5⁄60 of an hour. {470 1000 × 5 60 ÷ ÷} about 5,600,000 watts. Not sure what voltage car chargers run at, but let us assume 480 volts, which is the common high industrial voltage. So, 5.6 megawatts, at 480 volts, would be 11,750 amperes.

No!

You are not going to be charging any electric car at a rate of 11,750 amperes. It simply isn't going to happen. Period. Do you have any idea how big a wire it takes to safely carry that much current? I'm an electrician, and I have no clue. None of the references that I have at hand go nearly that high. Wires that I have worked with, big enough to be unwieldy and impractical for a consumer to try to connect to a car only go up to about a thousand amps or so.

And I was assuming five minutes. You're talking about two or three. So, now we're talking about power in the 10 to 14 megawatt range, currents in the 20,000 to 30,000 ampere range.

Is it even possible to get a connection from the grid to the electrical counterpart to a gas station, with that much capacity? I very much doubt it; especially when you consider that such a station would want to have several chargers, just as a gasoline station has several pumps.

And there is certainly no way in Hell that you're ever getting that sort of capacity to a residential building.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back