Jail survey: Nearly 3/4 felons register as Democrats

It's OK. In Louisiana, Republicans made gun ownership, by constitution, a "fundamental right". Meaning felons have a right to firearms. Love those Republicans for looking out for the "rights" of murderers, rapists, bank robbers and others of that ilk.

Apparently rdean is one of those liberals who believes a criminal is going to be "honest" in this one regard and actually go through the trouble of acquiring a firearm legally for a change. I'm sure we will find Al Capone and all those other mobsters in our nation's history as prime examples of outstanding law abiding citizens our country can certainly be proud of. :lol:

Does the left even know what constitutes a criminal?

Last edited:
Only applies to felons.

And voting is not a right.

The 19th amendment refers to it as a right:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
The franchise may not be denied on account of race, color, previous condition of servitude, sex, or age (for those of majority age).

It may be denied citizens otherwise, simply by virtue of who they are. That is, this "right" is a privilege (a state-granted privilege).

I'm sick and tired of this radical liberalist mentality of rights really only being privileges.

With Republicans trying to make everything a crime...I'm not shocked.

This is a remarkably ignorant statement considering it's the Dumbocrats who overregulate and overcriminalize everything. The 2,000 page "Obamacare" bill which made not having insurance illegal sure as hell wasn't a Republican initiative. But don't let facts get in the way of your false narrative, stupid.

In that " 2,000 page "Obamacare" bill " show me where it criminalizes anything. I said crime, maybe you are confused on the difference between crime and law.

This is a remarkably ignorant statement considering it's the Dumbocrats who overregulate and overcriminalize everything. The 2,000 page "Obamacare" bill which made not having insurance illegal sure as hell wasn't a Republican initiative. But don't let facts get in the way of your false narrative, stupid.

In that " 2,000 page "Obamacare" bill " show me where it criminalizes anything. I said crime, maybe you are confused on the difference between crime and law.

Seriously? I've already stated it once. I will state it again. "Obamacare" criminalizes not having health insurance. You must carry it, and if you don't, you are fined.

SShitbag..."fundamental right" will only extend to law abiding citizens meaning scum like you can't take their guns away for no reason.

It's OK. In Louisiana, Republicans made gun ownership, by constitution, a "fundamental right". Meaning felons have a right to firearms. Love those Republicans for looking out for the "rights" of murderers, rapists, bank robbers and others of that ilk.

Not true. Fundamental rights are like the right to a trial. Remember innocent until proven guilty? Try to think of some others.

Apparently rdean is one of those liberals who believes a criminal is going to be "honest" in this one regard and actually go through the trouble of acquiring a firearm legally for a change. I'm sure we will find Al Capone and all those other mobsters in our nation's history as prime examples of outstanding law abiding citizens our country can certainly be proud of. :lol:

Bobby Jindal is a Republican.

Louisiana law floods courts with pro-gun cases

Armed with the new amendment, attorneys can now challenge the constitutionality of lesser laws – like concealed weapons statutes – making them more favorable to gun owners – including felons, said Laura Cutilletta, senior staff attorney at the San Francisco-based Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Louisiana has already seen a raft of recent cases involving the new amendment, including several that challenge whether felons can carry guns. The NRA didn't return several requests for comment.

Glen Draughter, 20, of New Orleans, a felon convicted of simple burglary who was later caught riding in a car with a handgun in the backseat and an AK-47 with a 30-round clip in the trunk – a violation of state law. His lawyers brought the case to court, arguing that the new amendment gives him the same "fundamental right" to bear arms as anyone else, and his gun possession case should be dropped.

On March 21, an Orleans Parish judge ruled that, under the new amendment, the statute forbidding felons from possessing firearms is unconstitutional.

---------------------------------------------

You can't take away felon's gun rights unless you change the definition of "fundamental rights" defined by the state constitution. Just Republicans fucking up again. They don't know what they are doing and every policy they have is always filled with "unintended consequences".

Last edited by a moderator:
Be that as it may, I've always been a huge proponent of allowing people to vote even if they have a record. It is entirely unjust to continue to punish someone after their sentence is completed. It is also dangerously tyrannical.

The European Court of Human Rights is trying to force the Brit government to let convicts vote while they are in prison, serving the sentences that courts imposed. How does that grab you? A blow against tyranny?

Laws create and define crimes. Fines are punishments imposed on those who commit crimes. Seems pretty clear to me.

Laws create and define crimes. Fines are punishments imposed on those who commit crimes. Seems pretty clear to me.

Very few things now-a-days are not a crime.

Registered Democrats:

PA-2599966.jpg

The 19th amendment refers to it as a right:
The franchise may not be denied on account of race, color, previous condition of servitude, sex, or age (for those of majority age).

It may be denied citizens otherwise, simply by virtue of who they are. That is, this "right" is a privilege (a state-granted privilege).

I'm sick and tired of this radical liberalist mentality of rights really only being privileges.
Will you clarify, please? Liberals believe that privileges are really rights.

why only three states(two of which are blue) were used? 46 states allow felons to vote when meeting certain requirements with only Iowa, Kentucky, Florida and Virginia barring felons from ever voting. This seems to give a very small example of how felons vote considering 43 other states allow voting from felons after requirements are met.

every citizen over 18 should have the right to vote, including those in jail....as is the law in maine....

when the gvt can deem near anything a crime, and lock up the entire citizenry if they choose, then our vote is all we have left to defeat the tyranny....it's a mistake to take away the right to vote of those imprisoned....why should smoking a joint, a felony in certain states, deprive that person of their right to choose who they want to represent them in the gvt? That's just plain wrong...

why should smoking a joint, a felony in certain states.
What states?
well, maybe not smoking 1 joint, but if you are in possession of less than 3/4 ounce bag of pot, it's a felony in Florida...a felony for possession of just 20 grams.....

a citizen should NOT lose their right to vote for their gvt representation for that kind of crime.....period.

Bobby Jindal is a Republican.

Louisiana law floods courts with pro-gun cases

Armed with the new amendment, attorneys can now challenge the constitutionality of lesser laws – like concealed weapons statutes – making them more favorable to gun owners – including felons, said Laura Cutilletta, senior staff attorney at the San Francisco-based Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Louisiana has already seen a raft of recent cases involving the new amendment, including several that challenge whether felons can carry guns. The NRA didn't return several requests for comment.

Glen Draughter, 20, of New Orleans, a felon convicted of simple burglary who was later caught riding in a car with a handgun in the backseat and an AK-47 with a 30-round clip in the trunk – a violation of state law. His lawyers brought the case to court, arguing that the new amendment gives him the same "fundamental right" to bear arms as anyone else, and his gun possession case should be dropped.

On March 21, an Orleans Parish judge ruled that, under the new amendment, the statute forbidding felons from possessing firearms is unconstitutional.

---------------------------------------------

You can't take away felon's gun rights unless you change the definition of "fundamental rights" defined by the state constitution. Just Republicans fucking up again. They don't know what they are doing and every policy they have is always filled with "unintended consequences".

Six months after Draughter was arrested, Louisiana voters passed a constitutional amendment that declared the right to bear arms is a fundamental one in Louisiana, and any law limiting that right should be subject to the highest level of judicial scrutiny.

Legislature intended for the “strict scrutiny” test to apply only to limits on guns owned by law-abiding citizens, not by criminals

Court to decide on law forbidding felons to have guns | Home | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

So the question would be: did the judge apply the definition of the term "strict scrutiny" correctly by dropping the case? However, you are welcome to bring that topic up for a discussion on another thread. Let's try to stay on topic here.

Last edited:
Let the felons vote. They are citizens. I draw the line though at non citizens voting. If you are not a citizen, no vote. I find it sick and disgusting though that the same people pushing the rights to vote of felons and non citizens had no problem of throwing out the troops vote in 2000. Pathetic.

Bullshit. Nobody's vote is more special than anyone else's. If you don't like the laws that say you have to have your ballot back by a certain date and that they must be postmarked, change the fucking laws, but don't bitch when they are applied.

are you :cuckoo:

you want noncitizens to vote?how but just sending ballots to everybody on a planet, so they can vote in American elections?

How on earth did you get that out of what I said?

and yes, our troops ARE more special than the felons. Much more special. But the felons vote dimocrap, so you would defend them all the way to hell.

One person, one signature, one vote. The same rules for each and every American. If you can't get your vote in on time, it's not counted no matter who you are. If you don't like the rules that say you have to have it in by a certain date, change the rules.

What states?
well, maybe not smoking 1 joint, but if you are in possession of less than 3/4 ounce bag of pot, it's a felony in Florida...a felony for possession of just 20 grams.....

a citizen should NOT lose their right to vote for their gvt representation for that kind of crime.....period.

1. Oklahoma — Lawmakers in the Sooner State made headlines this spring when legislators voted 119 to 20 in favor of House Bill 1798, which enhances the state sentencing guidelines for hash manufacturing to a minimum of two years in jail and a maximum penalty of life in prison. (Mary Fallin, the state’s first-ever female governor, signed the measure into law in April; it takes effect on November 1, 2011.) But longtime Oklahoma observers were hardly surprised at lawmakers’ latest “life for pot” plan. After all, state law already allows judges to hand out life sentences for those convicted of cannabis cultivation or for the sale of a single dime-bag.

2. Texas — On an annual basis, no state arrests and criminally prosecutes more of its citizens for pot than does Texas. Marijuana arrests comprise over half of all annual arrests in the Lone Star State. It is easy to see why. In 2009, more than 97 percent of all Texas marijuana arrests — over 77,000 people — were for possession only. Those convicted face up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine, even upon a first conviction.

3. Florida — According to a 2009 state-by-state analysis by researcher and former NORML Director Jon Gettman, no other state routinely punishes minor marijuana more severely than does the Sunshine State. Under Florida law, marijuana possession of 20 grams or less (about two-thirds of an ounce) is a criminal misdemeanor punishable by up to one-year imprisonment and a $1,000 fine. Marijuana possession over 20 grams, as well as the cultivation of even a single pot plant, are defined by law as felony offenses – punishable by up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine. In recent years, state lawmakers have revisited the state’s marijuana penalties – in each case electing to enhance Florida’s already toughest-in-the-nation criminal punishments.

4. Louisiana — In Louisiana, multi-decade (or even life) sentences for repeat pot offenders are hardly a rare occurrence. Under Louisiana law, a second pot possession conviction is classified as a felony offense, punishable by up to five years in prison. Three-time offenders face up to 20 years in prison. According to a 2008 expose published in New Orleans City Business online, district attorneys are not hesitant to “target small-time marijuana users, sometimes caught with less than a gram of pot, and threaten them with lengthy prison sentences.”

5. Arizona — Forty years ago virtually every state in the nation defined marijuana possession as a felony offense. Today, only one state, Arizona, treats first-time pot possession in such an archaic and punitive manner. Under Arizona law, even minor marijuana possession offenses may be prosecuted as felony crimes, punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $150,000 fine. According to Jon Gettman’s 2009 analysis only Florida consistently treats minor marijuana possession cases more severely.​

The Five Worst States to Get Busted With Pot

What states?

Yes, they should.. they are fully aware of the law (that pot is illegal), else the dumb asses would be trying to walk up to their WalMart or pharmacist asking to buy pot over the counter... and if you willingly break the law, you must indeed pay the price... including losing your privilege of voting

Forum List

Back