James Harrison returns sons' "participation" trophies

My old TKD master fell prey to this. Students in closed tournaments would get a trophy for simply stepping into the ring.

None of you know what you are talking about.

Let's examine this subject a bit, shall we?

When did we, as a nation, begin giving participation trophies to young athletes?

What a bunch of idiots.

My son ( baseball, basketball ) and my daughter ( fastpitch, volleyball, soccer ) each received participation trophies when young. They got them as a memento of good times with their teams.

As they grew....they moved into competitive levels of play. They both ended up being team leaders and earned the respect of teammates, coaches and opponents for their fierce competitive spirit.

This entire meme is a failure.

LOL what a load

What's a load, dummy?

Your BS stories are always a load.....dummy. No kid gets coddled and gets a "feel good" trophy then becomes a leader. Doesn't happen

Stay with this thread....I'm about to make you feel stupid.

What a bunch of idiots.

My son ( baseball, basketball ) and my daughter ( fastpitch, volleyball, soccer ) each received participation trophies when young. They got them as a memento of good times with their teams.

As they grew....they moved into competitive levels of play. They both ended up being team leaders and earned the respect of teammates, coaches and opponents for their fierce competitive spirit.

This entire meme is a failure.

LOL what a load

What's a load, dummy?

Your BS stories are always a load.....dummy. No kid gets coddled and gets a "feel good" trophy then becomes a leader. Doesn't happen

Stay with this thread....I'm about to make you feel stupid.

Making me look stupid is beyond your capabilities, clown

All you're doing when you give participation trophies is encouraging a kid to be lazy, creating a sense of entitlement and
Side question, SassyDummy......when your kids get a 2nd or third place "trophy" do you refuse to accept it? They didn't win.

They did their best, clown. They are not going to win every time, on any given day one gymnast can beat another but at least they walk away knowing they gave 100% and didn't get some meaningless hunk of junk for showing up. They laugh at the notion everyone gets a trophy and will be the first ones to tell you if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. There is nothing wrong with a second or third place finish when the field is usually made up of 30 or more gymnasts. All you are doing by handing participation trophies out is creating a sense of entitlement, promoting laziness and you do nothing for a child's self esteem. They know when they look at the medals and trophies they have won they did it with hard work, practice, dedication and they earned them. Nobody gave them a damn thing , that pays off later in life

All you're doing when you give participation trophies is encouraging a kid to be lazy, creating a sense of entitlement and
Side question, SassyDummy......when your kids get a 2nd or third place "trophy" do you refuse to accept it? They didn't win.

They did their best, clown. They are not going to win every time, on any given day one gymnast can beat another but at least they walk away knowing they gave 100% and didn't get some meaningless hunk of junk for showing up. They laugh at the notion everyone gets a trophy and will be the first ones to tell you if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. There is nothing wrong with a second or third place finish when the field is usually made up of 30 or more gymnasts. All you are doing by handing participation trophies out is creating a sense of entitlement, promoting laziness and you do nothing for a child's self esteem. They know when they look at the medals and trophies they have won they did it with hard work, practice, dedication and they earned them. Nobody gave them a damn thing , that pays off later in life

You don't know anything about this subject. But you sure are good at making excuses for your kids when they don't win. The did their best! Wow! That's awesome.

Answer the question please. When did we begin giving out participation trophies and ribbons to all young participants in youth sports?

:clap2:
Good man!!!

Not everybody deserves a trophy

James Harrison rejects sons participation trophies

“I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I’m sorry I’m not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I’m not about to raise to boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best…cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better…not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. #harrisonfamilyvalues

Right On!

You don't know anything about this subject.

Answer the question please. When did we begin giving out participation trophies and ribbons to all young participants in youth sports?

What difference does it make when it started? The fact is it does nothing for a child. My guess is it started when you left loons realized your loser kids couldn't compete with ours and decided that wasn't "fair". Take "fair" and shove it, we raise champions, kids that will rise to the top while the ones who show up and get rewarded will go nowhere in life

A trophy used to signify some level of achievement.

Now it signifies just showing up.

Yeah, no lowered standards there, you betcha.

Are lowered expectations in sports evident when one looks at the level of competition in this country?

Those lowered expectations affect other areas beside sports: just look at schools and universities with their watered down curriculum, entitlement grades, and trigger warning free safe spaces.

What difference does it make when it started? The fact is it does nothing for a child. My guess is it started when you left loons realized your loser kids couldn't compete with ours and decided that wasn't "fair". Take "fair" and shove it, we raise champions, kids that will rise to the top while the ones who show up and get rewarded will go nowhere in life

It's not just kids. A few years ago, I was in a management training program at a large company. There were 5 teams in the program. The finale was a business simulation contest. We were given a situation and then had to make decisions to deal with economic, competitive, resource and other variables.

My team creamed the competition (I was the CEO!). The leader of the program decided to not have a winner, and just congratulated everyone for participating. I realized that company was doomed (it was) and quit a few months later.

It's not just kids. A few years ago, I was in a management training program at a large company. There were 5 teams in the program. The finale was a business simulation contest. We were given a situation and then had to make decisions to deal with economic, competitive, resource and other variables.

My team creamed the competition (I was the CEO!). The leader of the program decided to not have a winner, and just congratulated everyone for participating. I realized that company was doomed (it was) and quit a few months later.

Invariably the kids who compete well in sports also do well in school and other activities. It's like the competitiveness and desire to win spills over into their daily lives

Forum List

Back