Jesus' dishonorable behavior toward his mother

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
So if Jesus in the Bible behaved dishonorably toward his mother Mary, and dishonoring your mother is against the Mosaic law, did Jesus break that law...?

-

Are you talking about
Matthew 12:46-50New International Version (NIV)
Jesus’ Mother and BrothersA)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536A" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.9em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">
46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his motherB)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536B" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and brothersC)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536C" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heavenD)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23540D" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> is my brother and sister and mother.”

When did Jesus behave dishonorably?
The words "Woman what have I to do with thee?" immediately come to mind but you can read all of the Gospels for yourself.
You posed the question; you provide the proof. At least provide the chapter and verse so the context can be checked.

Posed the question for discussion, didn't pose it to provide any "proof"...but John 2:4 is something that I think could be discussed in relation to this question...

Excuse me if this question is an advanced learners question (haha) or feel free to excuse yourself (from the thread) lol.

-

Last edited:
Are you talking about
Matthew 12:46-50New International Version (NIV)
Jesus’ Mother and BrothersA)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536A" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.9em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">
46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his motherB)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536B" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and brothersC)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536C" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heavenD)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23540D" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> is my brother and sister and mother.”

No I had in mind John 2:4, and maybe some other Scriptures...

-

You posed the question; you provide the proof. At least provide the chapter and verse so the context can be checked.
Posed the question for discussion, didn't pose it to provide any "proof"...but John 2:4 is something that I think could be discussed in relation to this question.
This is a DISCUSSION forum. Read the Bible for yourself is not a legitimate response.

Posed the question for discussion, didn't pose it to provide any "proof"...but John 2:4 is something that I think could be discussed in relation to this question.
This is a DISCUSSION forum. Read the Bible for yourself is not a legitimate response.

BURNT brain no good here bro or ma'am...I'm gonna be putting you on ignore...

Later friend.

-

All he is saying to her is (paraphrase) how is them having no more wine my business? or what has them having no more wine your problem or my problem?

All he is saying to her is (paraphrase) how is them having no more wine my business? or what has them having no more wine your problem or my problem?

This is John 2:4, KJV:

Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

Very very very dishonorable I think, and dishonoring your mother is against the Mosaic law.

-

How are you deriving at the quote what have I to do with thee? It doesn't say that.

4 Jesus said to her, “[Dear] woman, what is that to you and to Me? My time [to act and to be revealed] has not yet come

The words "Woman what have I to do with thee?" immediately come to mind but you can read all of the Gospels for yourself.

Let's start with a more accurate translation: "Woman, how does this concern of yours affect me?"

First, "Woman" was a term of respect, kind of like "Ma'am" would be today. However, some scholars point out that John may have had another point in mind with his Gospel. They point out that the first chapters in John seem to parallel the story of creation in God's new creation. John's purpose in using the word "Woman" is that in the new creation, Jesus is the original obedient man--and Mary is the obedient woman.

Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

Very very very dishonorable I think, and dishonoring your mother is against the Mosaic law.

-
That would be the issue in a nutshell...don't form your own opinion of what you think is right from the perspective of modern day

Let's start with a more accurate translation: "Woman, how does this concern of yours affect me?"

First, "Woman" was a term of respect, kind of like "Ma'am" would be today. However, some scholars point out that John may have had another point in mind with his Gospel. They point out that the first chapters in John seem to parallel the story of creation in God's new creation. John's purpose in using the word "Woman" is that in the new creation, Jesus is the original obedient man--and Mary is the obedient woman.

Lol sure, sure...what was being said is pretty clear to me, but anyway, being a prophet and saying to your mother, "What have I to do with thee?" is obviously showing dishonor.

-

How is what he said to her in John 2:4 dishonorable?

Addressing your mother as "Woman," and then being a prophet and saying, "What have I to do with thee?" is very very very dishonorable to me.

-

You DO understand that how you react to things in the 21st century is a lot different than how people reacted in the 1st century right?

I have to say Anonymous....until recently I saw you as someone searching for a path. I am starting to view you as someone who just wants to argue. If you are the former I am happy to contribute to the degree I can. If it's the latter I am starting to become bored with your routine.

If you want to learn, I and others will be happy to teach, but if all you want to do is throw out "gotcha questions" like NBC in a presidential debate, I am not sure what the point is

So if Jesus in the Bible behaved dishonorably toward his mother Mary, and dishonoring your mother is against the Mosaic law, did Jesus break that law...?

-
You mean if YOU perceive that his actions broke the law does that mean that he necessarily did. The answer is of course, no.

-
That would be the issue in a nutshell...don't form your own opinion of what you think is right from the perspective of modern day

...huuumn...even today, a minister or Reverend saying to his or her mother, "What I have to do with thee?" would be showing dishonor.

-

Forum List

Back