Jewish Food For Thought - "Selichot" begins...

Has he asked for forgivesness?
News Flash: he is dead.

But still, shouldn't he be forgiven by the jewish people?? .. :cool:

No. Why?
Even with the inconvenience the jewish people suffered in europe during Hitlers rule.

They did end up with their own country and a booming economy.

So shouldn't Hitler be forgiven; ...... because the jews actually came out better than they had for centuries. .. :cool:

That's true, but in most cases, not all. When you're harmed forgivness is needed to find inner peace. But when the same person keeps harming you over and over, and not only doesn't feel sorrow, but is at times even overjoyed, then forgivness can also be translated into weakness.

The idea of Slichot is that each person achnoledges(sp?) his or her wrong doing, and tells God, "Even if I do not remember all my wrong doings, I take responsibility for them", it's a starting point that makes it much easier to forgive.

that would NOT be the case that the sin is made in malice

The first question is ask myself is how much power over me to I want to give these people? The second question is how effective do I want to be in finding the solution to ending what these people wish to do to me? I hold on to their hate then I am helping them in their quest to destroy or and what I am.

That is true, but when does forgivness mean you drop your guard?

Forgiveness is free but trust is earned. In my opinion. I may not have the heart of G-d on the matter however so I would believe what G-d has to say on the matter. His opinion is the only one that matters. - Jeri

No. Why?
Even with the inconvenience the jewish people suffered in europe during Hitlers rule.

So shouldn't Hitler be forgiven; ...... because the jews actually came out better than they had for centuries. .. :cool:

Six milion, 1/3 or the jewish people were murdered. That is not coming out better.

If Hitler was alive and got forgiveness for every person he sinned against, and they forgave him, and then if he went before G-D, and asked forgiveness and he got it, he may have been forgotten.

However, since that didn't happen, he can't be forgiven. The people he mass murdered are dead. They aren't alive to forgive him even if they want to.

As I said in judaism if you sin against a person, you first have to get forgiveness from that person first, before going before G-D and asking forgiveness.

I didn't tell that share that story to gossip about any person in my family - extended family - to be clear with you guys. I only shared it to let you know anything is possible. You never know who is out there and needs to hear that someone else became a drug addict over damages done to them and then overcame it all by coming to G-d. If it helps someone? Then I am willing to pour myself out. To the last drop! It's better than the alternative..

- Jeri

According to the OP's hebrew video cartoon.

You are to forgive with No preconditions. .. :cool:

You missed something very important in the animation.

The person asked to be forgiven.

You don't have to forgive someone who doesn't want to be forgiven.

Also the nazis can't ask for forgiveness from the people they murdered.

There are two kinds of sins in Judaism.

1) Sins against G-D

2) Sins against your fellow man

Sins against G-D you can ask forgiveness directly to G-D.

Sins against your fellow man you have to first get forgiveness from the person you sinned against.

Also, you need to sincerely mean it and committ to not doing it again.

Mike, I need to ask you a question. I do know in my own book - new testament - Jesus said that if your brother sins against you AND asks for your forgiveness than you must forgive them ( even if they do it again - and come to you again asking forgiveness 7 x 70s times! ) but I do not find that he said forgive them if they didn't ask for it, yet in the Lords prayer it says I'll be forgiven as I forgive others. So that is something that is a mystery to me. What I decided upon was I would do it whether they asked for it or not and so far it has turned out pretty well except that my heart still hurts at times over the fact they never have apologised or changed. - Jeri.

I don't know how to answer the question.

As I mentioned in judaism there is no requirement to forgive someone who hasn't sincerely asked for forgiveness.

Although, I understand the concept of forgiving so you can be free, you can still do your best to let go of resentment without actually forgiving a person.

I think it's more of a process of coping with your emotions.

Sunni brought up a good example. Should Hitler be forgiven? The answer is no. He never sought forgiveness for what he did.

As was mentioned there is no "turn the other cheek" concept in judaism.

I agree with this statement, to place conditions is to damned into eternal resentment and angst.

That's true, but in most cases, not all. When you're harmed forgivness is needed to find inner peace. But when the same person keeps harming you over and over, and not only doesn't feel sorrow, but is at times even overjoyed, then forgivness can also be translated into weakness.

The idea of Slichot is that each person achnoledges(sp?) his or her wrong doing, and tells God, "Even if I do not remember all my wrong doings, I take responsibility for them", it's a starting point that makes it much easier to forgive.

that would NOT be the case that the sin is made in malice

I do understand what you are saying and there are those types of individuals in my life through extended family - which I try to avoid so they have no further chance to cause me harm. I'm polite but I keep my distance... then there are some situations that cannot be avoided also, Lipush.

Let me tell you this story. ( true story ) Many years ago I was at a family gathering in another city and the person who had been responsible for the harm done to me as a child, they got drunk and needed a ride home. My husband and I drove them to their home and on the way they said they had to tell me something. (I won't say how I was related to them as it isn't important and I have no desire to identify who it was publicly ) This person broke down in many tears and told me how sorry they were for what they had done to me. In that moment I felt frozen like a deer caught in the headlights. I wasn't prepared for it at all.

The only way I can describe the feeling - would be to recount the story of Corrie Ten Boom when she was ministering in a church in Germany about her time in the concentration camps. Corrie's family rescued Jews and hid them to protect them from the nazis. She was a christian. Anyhow, Corrie says a nazi who had been the one who murdered her sister and tortured her also - came up to her at the end of the service and extended his hand and said can you forgive me?

Corrie said she was frozen and said a prayer in her heart and asked G-d for the grace to forgive this man. She said somehow her hand extended to his and she looked into his eyes and said I forgive you. She never saw the man again. So I did what Corrie did and I am glad I did. I'm also grateful that I had read her book, The Hiding Place, many years prior to that encounter as she proved what was possible with G-ds help.

In my own case I did see this family member again, they didn't ask me to forgive them but they did cry that night and said what they had done to me was awful. I did tell them that I loved them and that G-d loved them and that they needed to forgive themself over it. I still have times that memories come back and I feel very sad but truthfully if I say I feel as if it never happened like Mike said in step 3? I don't think I've reached that yet. But they haven't ever done anything else to me and when I am required to see them ( which is very rare ) I do my best to try to be polite and kind to that individual. I hope that helps someone here to understand that sometimes our tormentors do carry tremendous guilt over the things they have done in the past to us. They just might not ever tell you about it. On the other hand, maybe they will some day. That is the day you need to be ready for!

p.s. forgiveness comes in layers. It takes time like Connery said.. and sometimes when it feels just impossible - you ask G-d to do it through you. With G-d all things are possible.

p.s.s. before I turned my life over to G-d I was a drug addict. I think I was a drug addict because I was trying to kill myself. Unforgiveness is like drinking poison while hoping the other person dies. Literally.

- Jeri

Your story is very inspiring! thank you so much for sharing.

Yes, forgivness does come in layers. When thinking about it, it gives you strength. and that strength can come once you've accepted what was done to you and learned to live with it and overcome, with different methods, whatever they are.

You can reach the level of forgivness once the wound you suffered is not bleeding anymore. That you can see something else, beyond the anger and pain. Which is not at all easy. I think that this is the main point. of gathering the strength you have to be able to finally move on.

For years I was angry at my birth mom; thinking about her always brought up anger and sorrow, but when I got older, those faded, mostly thanks to the fact that my narrow world got wider and I could see things in a much more mature way.

I guess that has something to do with it.

No. Why?

"inconvenience ?" :cuckoo:

I didn't tell that share that story to gossip about any person in my family - extended family - to be clear with you guys. I only shared it to let you know anything is possible. You never know who is out there and needs to hear that someone else became a drug addict over damages done to them and then overcame it all by coming to G-d. If it helps someone? Then I am willing to pour myself out. To the last drop! It's better than the alternative..

- Jeri

Everything's ok, Jeri:)

"inconvenience ?" :cuckoo:

Dude, please don't go there.

It does no good, that argument never ends well. And believe me, I had many arguments with him about that.

Six milion, 1/3 or the jewish people were murdered. That is not coming out better.

If Hitler was alive and got forgiveness for every person he sinned against, and they forgave him, and then if he went before G-D, and asked forgiveness and he got it, he may have been forgotten.

However, since that didn't happen, he can't be forgiven. The people he mass murdered are dead. They aren't alive to forgive him even if they want to.

As I said in judaism if you sin against a person, you first have to get forgiveness from that person first, before going before G-D and asking forgiveness.

I believe Hitler is in hell, Mike. Look at the blood of millions of innocent lives on his hands and then? He took his own life and had others join him. The man was the epitamy of evil. Anyone who holds him in high regard has fallen in love with evil and must repent.

- Jeri

No. Why?

Inconvenience? :cool:

Don't forget, before those were our six millions, there were thousands of innocent German children who were murdered in the T4 Aktion, something that is just perverted.

Landlord (Theme: Forgiveness) - Jewish Food For Thought, The Animated Series, by Hanan Harchol - YouTube

This is the start of "Selichot" & Repent from Sin. Watch this wonderful little cartoon video about the difficulty of forgiveness from someone who has done wrong against you and the ability to overcome it.

Shalom.

Our invisible Creator was the one who forced me to confess and repent from all my sins before He forgave me. After His justification process, which took 28 1/2 years, He took me through the "born again" experience where I received His knowledge to understand the past, present and future, but only after writing and speaking every word ( in English ) He puts into my mind the past five years to understand this invisible knowledge within my mind ( which is also His mind ).

I believe Hitler is in hell,
You really can't be 100% sure of that Jeremiah.

Because according to Christian theology; if Hitler in his last dying breath accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior.

Then all his sins were forgiven and he went straight to heaven. .. :cool:

Thanks for reading, Sunni. I deleted my message as I see you have read it. - Jeri

Last edited:
I erased message - Sunni can email for discussion. thanks! - Jeri

Last edited:
Now as Mr. H. would say........back to our regularly scheduled program! Forgiveness and "Selichot!"

[ [/quote]Been there......done that......

I was a Christian for many years before I discovered the truth of Islam. .. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Okay! Thanks for reading my reply, Sunni! I erased my posts containing dialogue with you and we can pick it up in a private email if you'd like. Let's turn this back over to the people here so they can continue their own discussions on the meaning of the Serichot! Have a great evening! - Jeri

Last edited:

Forum List

Back