Jimmy Carter was not the worst president we ever had.

All I can say is “Worst in MY lifetime” and that would be Obama by a mile, then would come Carter. Best in my lifetime is Trump, Reagan next and then everyone else in the middle.
You are the reason I started this thread - people like you who are certain all your facts are correct when you're actually dead wrong.

Wow I’m honored! But really, your opinion means nothing at all to me. I am absolutely correct, you, like all liberals are at odds with reality.

All I can say is “Worst in MY lifetime” and that would be Obama by a mile, then would come Carter. Best in my lifetime is Trump, Reagan next and then everyone else in the middle.
You are the reason I started this thread - people like you who are certain all your facts are correct when you're actually dead wrong.

Wow I’m honored! But really, your opinion means nothing at all to me. I am absolutely correct, you, like all liberals are at odds with reality.
As a realist I am neither a liberal or a neocon like you, which gives me the unique ability to detect bullshit with 360° vision.

It's my opinion that this rhetoric has been repeated so often that Americans generally believe it to be true, that Carter was the worst president, even though it's obviously not true to anyone with an honest perspective of history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/opinion/jimmy-carters-unheralded-legacy.html

Call it historical perspective, call it acquired wisdom, call it simple nostalgia, but most things tend to look better in the rear view mirror. Take the hapless Jimmy Carter administration for example. Arguably, among the (many) negative things Carter will be remembered for are runaway inflation, the Iran hostage debacle, and questionable deregulation of the transportation, communication, and financial industries.

Vilified by the Republicans and mocked by the Democrats, Carter reached the point where he was regarded by his own party as such a political liability that they (in the person of Ted Kennedy) tried to torpedo him in the 1980 primary. Not something you do to a successful incumbent.

But despite the bad memories, Carter accomplished some fairly important things during his single term in office — things that, given the near-paralytic gridlock that defines today’s politics, seem all the more impressive in hindsight. Here are ten of them.

1. Created the Department of Energy. The DOE provided the administration with the bureaucratic chops to formulate and implement what could have been a comprehensive, long-term national energy strategy. Had Carter’s aggressive gas mileage standards continued to be pursued by subsequent administrations, we would today — 30-odd years later — be dramatically less dependent on Saudi oil.

2. Created the Department of Education. Despite howls from anti-government groups who opposed yet another federal agency, the decision to carve out Education from the already over-burdened Department. of Health, Education and Welfare (now the Department of Health and Human Services) was a bold and necessary one.

3. Supported SALT II (Strategic Arms Limitations Talks). It sounds trivial today, but in the 1970s a nuclear non-proliferation pact, even a flawed one, was seen as an important step in forging a lasting peace with the USSR. A generation ago, people were genuinely frightened of a nuclear holocaust. Although Carter and Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev signed the agreement, the U.S. Congress, in the wake of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, refused to ratify it.

4. Brokered the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. By initiating the Camp David Accords between Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian President Anwar Sadat (which led directly to the landmark treaty), Carter laid the groundwork for improved Israeli-Arab relations. That good relations in the region never materialized wasn’t Carter’s fault.

5. Installed solar panels in the White House. This was not only a practical gesture, but a symbolic one as well, demonstrating to the world that America was serious about conserving energy, and that conservation does, indeed, begin at home. Alas, Ronald Reagan believed solar panels made the United States look pathetic and needy, and had them removed.

6. Boycotted the 1980 Olympics. In response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Carter boycotted the Moscow games, a decision that earned him ridicule and scorn, even though Japan, West Germany, China, Canada, et al, supported his decision. Boycotts are unpredictable. Some work, most don’t. Still, who knows what would have happened if the world had boycotted the 2004 Olympics to protest of the U.S. invasion of Iraq? It might have made a difference.

7. Granted amnesty to Vietnam draft-dodgers. Even though Carter issued these unconditional pardons on January 21, 1977 (his first day in office), the political fallout was severe enough to cost him votes in the 1980 election. Controversial as it was, this gutsy call helped move the country forward, providing closure to one of the most divisive issues in American history.

8. Established diplomatic relations with China. Officially transferring U.S. diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to mainland China seems like a no-brainer today, but in the year 1979 it was a singularly progressive move.

9. Pushed for comprehensive health care reform. Carter’s plan was bigger, better, cheaper and — right out of the blocks — had a greater chance of passing in its original form than either Clinton’s or Obama’s plan, but inertia, timidity, and old-fashioned politics (both Democratic and Republican) ultimately killed it.

10. Returned the Panama Canal to Panama. Another gutsy move that surely cost him votes. By ceding the canal to tiny Panama, the mighty U.S. looked confident and magnanimous.... instead of paranoid and petty. Although Carter was able to secure bipartisan support, of the 20 senators who voted in favor of the treaty, and were up for re-election, only 7 were re-elected.

10 Good Things President Carter Did | HuffPost
This is exactly how resurrecting a reputation works...the truth is Americans were fed up with his politics, I voted for him, 4 years later I voted for a man whom I once said of [in 76], can you imagine what a disaster this guy would be in the white house? and still believed that when I voted against carter in 80, and the only one capable of making that happen is the person that did it...carter
there was no historical revision in 1980, thats what today and these stories are for...
...Carters real achievement is the human being that he is, and he himself attributes that entirely to his deeply held religious beliefs, something that is always missing from these resurrection attempts because even if successful it would then become a pyrrhic victory...
...btw, no.10 is proof of the revisionist accusation, Americans were irate about the turning over of the canal, that is just another one of his screw ups...
... no. 9 is proof of the desperation to come up with accomplishments as it admits his failure is one of his acomplishments...
...no.8 is difficult to assess since Nixon did all the heavy lifting and trump has been ridiculed for the same thing in Israel, a non communist ally...
no.7 ...If anyone really believe those pardons where "a gutsy acomplishment" wait til they get a load of "the gutsy" pardons trump has up his sleeve...
No.6 ...I agreed with this one but as a member of the minority opinion I stayed silent, still another listed accomplishment that the article admits was not an accomplishment...
No.5... "Solar panels on the roof"? seriously? why didn't you just dismiss this article at that point...
No.4...A truly great accomplishment, a grand slam, no way around this, Israel and Egypt were mortal enemies who woke up each and every day wondering if this was the day they would finally destroy the other, I think this may have something to do with trump-NK and his legacy...
No.3 "Supported" Salt II, it was treaties like these that helped keep the Soviet union afloat, without them we were able to spend the USSR into oblivion, since the end of WWII the more we talk and negotiate in good faith the redder the map gets..but OK then if they want this one...
NOS. 2 & 1 are virtually the same thing and belong in the "BIG DEAL" dept. and the fact that they are viewed as his greatest accomplishments only reinforces the claim that this is left wing revisionism because they see increasing the size of government as a greater accomplishment than the Israeli-Egyptian peace accords...Israel egypt is his only real accomplishment, it is why he did it.

Honey, I lived it.
Yeah but you obviously are clueless to the corruption of all the other presidents that we had AFTER him were and the corruption of a few others before him as well otherwise you would understand he is not even in the top ten worst ever :uhoh3:

also,since you lived through it all,then you ALSO know as well that he is the only other president we have had since kennedy our last great president and last real president not a puppet for the establishment which is why they killed him off,you would remember then what a patriot he was that same as kennedy,he ALSO tried to get rid of the CIA.thats why he only served one term.good presidents never serve more than one term in office anymore in this day and age.

The CIA is an evil organization,they are the reason the world is in the mess that it is,them and the fed.they are always starting wars with other countries.

carter came in and he cleaned up the CIA,s corruption.he fired that warmonger mass murderer George Bush and replaced him with stansfield turner who immediately came in and cleaned house firing all covert operatives for the CIA which kept us out of war.once out of office,bastard traiter ronald reagan got the CIA back to its old ways of starting wars again by getting the CIA back to covert operations again firing turner and brining in William Casey as new CIA director.casey of course got the CIA back into doing covert operations again.

worse president my ass.:ahole-1:

he wasn’t the mass murderer that all these other clown presidents all have been ever since.:uhoh3:

Last edited:
It's my opinion that this rhetoric has been repeated so often that Americans generally believe it to be true, that Carter was the worst president, even though it's obviously not true to anyone with an honest perspective of history.

Call it historical perspective, call it acquired wisdom, call it simple nostalgia, but most things tend to look better in the rear view mirror. Take the hapless Jimmy Carter administration for example. Arguably, among the (many) negative things Carter will be remembered for are runaway inflation, the Iran hostage debacle, and questionable deregulation of the transportation, communication, and financial industries.

Vilified by the Republicans and mocked by the Democrats, Carter reached the point where he was regarded by his own party as such a political liability that they (in the person of Ted Kennedy) tried to torpedo him in the 1980 primary. Not something you do to a successful incumbent.

But despite the bad memories, Carter accomplished some fairly important things during his single term in office — things that, given the near-paralytic gridlock that defines today’s politics, seem all the more impressive in hindsight. Here are ten of them.

1. Created the Department of Energy. The DOE provided the administration with the bureaucratic chops to formulate and implement what could have been a comprehensive, long-term national energy strategy. Had Carter’s aggressive gas mileage standards continued to be pursued by subsequent administrations, we would today — 30-odd years later — be dramatically less dependent on Saudi oil.

2. Created the Department of Education. Despite howls from anti-government groups who opposed yet another federal agency, the decision to carve out Education from the already over-burdened Department. of Health, Education and Welfare (now the Department of Health and Human Services) was a bold and necessary one.

3. Supported SALT II (Strategic Arms Limitations Talks). It sounds trivial today, but in the 1970s a nuclear non-proliferation pact, even a flawed one, was seen as an important step in forging a lasting peace with the USSR. A generation ago, people were genuinely frightened of a nuclear holocaust. Although Carter and Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev signed the agreement, the U.S. Congress, in the wake of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, refused to ratify it.

4. Brokered the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. By initiating the Camp David Accords between Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian President Anwar Sadat (which led directly to the landmark treaty), Carter laid the groundwork for improved Israeli-Arab relations. That good relations in the region never materialized wasn’t Carter’s fault.

5. Installed solar panels in the White House. This was not only a practical gesture, but a symbolic one as well, demonstrating to the world that America was serious about conserving energy, and that conservation does, indeed, begin at home. Alas, Ronald Reagan believed solar panels made the United States look pathetic and needy, and had them removed.

6. Boycotted the 1980 Olympics. In response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Carter boycotted the Moscow games, a decision that earned him ridicule and scorn, even though Japan, West Germany, China, Canada, et al, supported his decision. Boycotts are unpredictable. Some work, most don’t. Still, who knows what would have happened if the world had boycotted the 2004 Olympics to protest of the U.S. invasion of Iraq? It might have made a difference.

7. Granted amnesty to Vietnam draft-dodgers. Even though Carter issued these unconditional pardons on January 21, 1977 (his first day in office), the political fallout was severe enough to cost him votes in the 1980 election. Controversial as it was, this gutsy call helped move the country forward, providing closure to one of the most divisive issues in American history.

8. Established diplomatic relations with China. Officially transferring U.S. diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to mainland China seems like a no-brainer today, but in the year 1979 it was a singularly progressive move.

9. Pushed for comprehensive health care reform. Carter’s plan was bigger, better, cheaper and — right out of the blocks — had a greater chance of passing in its original form than either Clinton’s or Obama’s plan, but inertia, timidity, and old-fashioned politics (both Democratic and Republican) ultimately killed it.

10. Returned the Panama Canal to Panama. Another gutsy move that surely cost him votes. By ceding the canal to tiny Panama, the mighty U.S. looked confident and magnanimous.... instead of paranoid and petty. Although Carter was able to secure bipartisan support, of the 20 senators who voted in favor of the treaty, and were up for re-election, only 7 were re-elected.

Another one left off that list and is WHY the other democrats mocked him is because of number 11 which should be listed which makes him our last halfway decent president we had.He was not corrupt like all the others we have had since he left office which is why the media slanders him all the time. Number 11 that should be listed as well is that he tried to get rid of the CIA,something none of of the other corrupt clown presidents we have had SINCE he left office has tried to do,yet he is the worst ever they say. :uhoh3:

beam me up Scotty,there is no intelligent life forms on this planet.

Last edited:

He WAS. Past tense.

Then Came Obama and his rule by racism......

With all due respect, Angelo...it would appear that most of the things you laud Jimmy Carter for are things that failed. How does that make him a good President?

Carter was terrible. Weak, vacillating and the last Democrat I ever voted for in 1976. Then, a truly great man became president.

I'm not sure people in general believe that outside an echo chamber like this board. Buchanan, Harding and Grant are usually cited at or near the position of "worst". Lotta people though seem to attribute the freeing of the Iran hostages to Carter's successor and sweep under the rug that he got it done.

Carter didn't create that inflationary economy or the oil crises --- the "Nixon Shock" did that in 1973 and it saddled both Ford and Carter through the 1970s. And Carter has pointed out that in his tenure we never started a war, never dropped a bomb, never fired a shot. One of precious few POTUSes who can say that, and the only one since Hoover. Of course the MIC isn't going to like that, that's why he was not in the script and had to go. Because Lockheed Martin ain't gonna make no money from peace bombs.
Obama eclipsed him by a mile.
Big deal,so has ALL the other presidents since him.:auiqs.jpg::abgg2q.jpg:

With all due respect, Angelo...it would appear that most of the things you laud Jimmy Carter for are things that failed. How does that make him a good President?
He was establishing a foundation to build from after we had been drained economically and spiritually by 3 solid decades of wars. His biggest failure was underestimating the ruthlessness of his political opponents. He should have been a fighter like Trump is.

Carter was needed after Nixon and Ford to bring a sense of morality, which he did. He also helped get Ronald Reagan elected which was another good thing.
For the establihment ir was a good thing reagan got elected,not for the people,et least the lower and middle class family’s.

He was establishing a foundation to build from after we had been drained economically and spiritually by 3 solid decades of wars. His biggest failure was underestimating the ruthlessness of his political opponents. He should have been a fighter like Trump is.
As always,old fartstyle gets taken to school. :biggrin:

Carter certainly wasn't the worst, at least not in my lifetime. That honor goes to Dubya for doing more harm to this country than any other president. By far. My great grandchildren will be paying for his invasion of Iraq.
Indeed,people who think carter was worse than the bush’s are complete idiots. People who say Obama was the worst president ever I have no problem with,but at least if you want to talk about the two,worst everday something TRUTHFUL that Obama and BUSH were the two worst ever.obams policys were exactly like bush’s after all :uhoh3: enough of this asinine talk though that carter is up there with Obama as worst ever crap though. The people that say carter and Obama are the worst are obviously racist who hate blacks.

Forum List

Back