Job application regulation.

Spiderman

Oct 2, 2013
Rhode Island became the 8th state to ban questions on job applications asking about criminal records.

A growing number of states are coming on board. This week, Rhode Island became the eighth state in the country to pass a statewide Ban the Box law, and it’s one of the most expansive versions out there: The state will require all private and public employers to delay questions about criminal history, following Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Hawaii. Four other states and 51 municipalities have already passed similar measures for hiring public employees, according to the National Employment Law Project. Ban the Box bills are now being considered in New Jersey and California, which passed an executive measure covering public employees in 2010.

States push to provide some ex-felons a second chance | MSNBC

Is it any of the government's business if a company does not want to hire criminals?

Are felons going to be classified as a protected minority where it will be illegal not to hire them because they are felons?

Sorry but it's none of the government's business if a business owner does not want to take the risk of hiring a felon.

Good. My past idiocy should not hold me back from getting a job especially if I have changed. I fortunately can put down I have no felony record but that doesn't mean it stops these idiots from asking anyways.

Good. My past idiocy should not hold me back from getting a job especially if I have changed. I fortunately can put down I have no felony record but that doesn't mean it stops these idiots from asking anyways.

So what if they ask?

And your past idiocy should certainly stop you from getting a job.

Tell me would you want convicted felons to be able to handle your finances or care for your kids?

So you are against states having their own laws?

Just because a law is consitutional and allowable doesnt make it a good idea.

Learn to seperate between opinions on the consitutionality of a law vs. the law being a good idea.

So you are against states having their own laws?

Just because a law is consitutional and allowable doesnt make it a good idea.

Learn to seperate between opinions on the consitutionality of a law vs. the law being a good idea.

preventing someone from asking a question is not constitutional it is in conflict with the first amendment.

So what if they ask?

And your past idiocy should certainly stop you from getting a job.

Tell me would you want convicted felons to be able to handle your finances or care for your kids?

At one time I was charged with a felony,as was my older brother. He did time. I have absolutely no problem with it. Fact is if you REALLY want to know about someone pay to do a background check BEFORE hiring them....MOST people straighten up once they get done doing time etc. I never did time. Took a plea deal with personally I shouldn't have. Should have also kept my mouth shut to the pigs as well.

Rhode Island became the 8th state to ban questions on job applications asking about criminal records.

A growing number of states are coming on board. This week, Rhode Island became the eighth state in the country to pass a statewide Ban the Box law, and it’s one of the most expansive versions out there: The state will require all private and public employers to delay questions about criminal history, following Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Hawaii. Four other states and 51 municipalities have already passed similar measures for hiring public employees, according to the National Employment Law Project. Ban the Box bills are now being considered in New Jersey and California, which passed an executive measure covering public employees in 2010.

States push to provide some ex-felons a second chance | MSNBC

Is it any of the government's business if a company does not want to hire criminals?

Are felons going to be classified as a protected minority where it will be illegal not to hire them because they are felons?

Sorry but it's none of the government's business if a business owner does not want to take the risk of hiring a felon.

The government doesn't care and routinely promotes felons, why should McDonald's?

Hard to put your finger on the worst of the worst faux pas our government makes most of the time, but this one's easy. SNAFU

They don't have to ask anymore, they just get you to consent to a background check.

The law is stupid because it doesn't accomplish anything.

The law does accomplish something. There will be a booming business in companies that do background checks.

COnsidering the govt hands out felonies like pedarasses hand out candy, I'd say its probably for the best. Most felons are non-violent drug offenders. On the other hand, the state shouldn't be dictating to businesses what questions they ask of employees. Especially since there are so many insurance requirements jammed onto businesses via govt.. I wouldn't want to be the owner of a transport business, etc, that can not ask such questions.

COnsidering the govt hands out felonies like pedarasses hand out candy, I'd say its probably for the best. Most felons are non-violent drug offenders. On the other hand, the state shouldn't be dictating to businesses what questions they ask of employees. Especially since there are so many insurance requirements jammed onto businesses via govt.. I wouldn't want to be the owner of a transport business, etc, that can not ask such questions.

Not really. It takes effort to get a felony on your first offense in most jurisitictions, unless its a very violent crime. Most DA's are more than willing to plea you down to a misdemenor the first time you get in trouble.

Felons are more often than not, truly violent offenders or repeat offenders.

Forum List

Back