Johns Hopkins Chief of Psychiatry: Being transgender is a "mental" disorder

Is Transgenderism a Mental Illness?

• Total voters
I don't know about any of this. Perhaps the psychiatrist is correct and this is a very mean mental disorder. But we know Jenner was very unhappy for years being a man. He just may find that his new persona doesn't ease the troubled mind he's had for years. He just may develop more troubling psychiatric conditions when his expected life does not turn out to be what he had hoped. I wish him and all others going through the same tribulation the best of luck.

Not to be argumentative, but what actual proof do you have that it was being a man that made him unhappy? He actually functioned quite well as one.

He fathered children as a male and says he continues to be attracted to women. Prototypical happy male behavior.

If the numbers are correct, and 20% of surgically altered commit suicide, it would look that their unhappiness is not with gender.

In the interviews with DS, he claimed that he was living a lie and couldn't do it any longer. I interpreted that to mean he was very unhappy with his situation.

And, assuming that 20% of transgendered individuals commit suicide is higher than the general population, the change did not alter their confusion and general unhappiness. That change did not help ease the psyche of those who had reassignment surgery. Perhaps those who are troubled with their natural sex assignment Should just have more psychiatric care to discover the real reason they are unhappy with their gender.

I don't pretend to be an expert, just acknowledging that, generally, the reassignments don't seem to make these people any happier.

I get that. And if HE thinks that I honestly can't read his mind, but it could be simply an obsession that took over that he can't control and needs help getting back.

Watch a few episodes of Hoarders. They all think that getting more and more stuff will make them happy and can't understand why it's never enough.

That's why I asked about the 20%. It sounds like "the cure" is life threatening.

I know you are, I was questioning the I'm not happy statement he makes. It's a judgement call and, in my estimation a cop out on his part. That's not courage in my book.

I don't know about any of this. Perhaps the psychiatrist is correct and this is a very mean mental disorder. But we know Jenner was very unhappy for years being a man. He just may find that his new persona doesn't ease the troubled mind he's had for years. He just may develop more troubling psychiatric conditions when his expected life does not turn out to be what he had hoped. I wish him and all others going through the same tribulation the best of luck.

Not to be argumentative, but what actual proof do you have that it was being a man that made him unhappy? He actually functioned quite well as one.

He fathered children as a male and says he continues to be attracted to women. Prototypical happy male behavior.

If the numbers are correct, and 20% of surgically altered commit suicide, it would look that their unhappiness is not with gender.

In the interviews with DS, he claimed that he was living a lie and couldn't do it any longer. I interpreted that to mean he was very unhappy with his situation.

And, assuming that 20% of transgendered individuals commit suicide is higher than the general population, the change did not alter their confusion and general unhappiness. That change did not help ease the psyche of those who had reassignment surgery. Perhaps those who are troubled with their natural sex assignment Should just have more psychiatric care to discover the real reason they are unhappy with their gender.

I don't pretend to be an expert, just acknowledging that, generally, the reassignments don't seem to make these people any happier.

I get that. And if HE thinks that I honestly can't read his mind, but it could be simply an obsession that took over that he can't control and needs help getting back.

Watch a few episodes of Hoarders. They all think that getting more and more stuff will make them happy and can't understand why it's never enough.

That's why I asked about the 20%. It sounds like "the cure" is life threatening.

I know you are, I was questioning the I'm not happy statement he makes. It's a judgement call and, in my estimation a cop out on his part. That's not courage in my book.

I think he may even be questioning his actual feelings. I thought he handled the interviews well, but I'm still not going to say the lucrative TV deal couldn't be in there for some reasons for his transition.

Transgenderism is a mental illness, and anyone who says otherwise is equally mentally disturbed.

Paul McHugh Transgender Surgery Isn t the Solution - WSJ
Psychiatrist in chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital is pouring rain on the Bruce Jenner “Call Me Caitlyn” parade that’s sure to have the former Olympic athlete’s cheerleaders steaming.

Not only does Dr. Paul R. McHugh consider changing sexes “biologically impossible,” he thinks being what is popularly called “transgender” these days is actually a “mental disorder.”

McHugh, who has authored six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical journal articles, made the statements in a piece he penned for the Wall Street Journal that argued surgery is not the solution for patients who want to live life as the opposite sex.

Such people, he wrote, suffer from a “disorder of assumption” in believing they can choose their sex.

He also cited a study that said transgendered people who have reassignment surgery are 20 times more likely to commit suicide than non-transgendered people,

While the Obama administration, Hollywood and major media such as Time magazine promote transgenderism as “normal,” McHugh wrote, said Dr. McHugh, these “policy makers and the media are doing no favors either to the public or the transgendered by treating their confusions as a right in need of defending rather than as a mental disorder that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention.”

“This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken – it does not correspond with physical reality,” McHugh wrote. “The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”

The transgendered person’s disorder, said Dr. McHugh, is in the person’s “assumption” that they are different than the physical reality of their body, their maleness or femaleness, as assigned by nature. It is a disorder similar to a “dangerously thin” person suffering anorexia who looks in the mirror and thinks they are “overweight,” said McHugh.

This assumption, that one’s gender is only in the mind regardless of anatomical reality, has led some transgendered people to push for social acceptance and affirmation of their own subjective “personal truth,” said Dr. McHugh. As a result, some states – California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts – have passed laws barring psychiatrists, “even with parental permission, from striving to restore natural gender feelings to a transgender minor,” he said.

The pro-transgender advocates do not want to know, said McHugh, that studies show between 70% and 80% of children who express transgender feelings “spontaneously lose those feelings” over time. Also, for those who had sexual reassignment surgery, most said they were “satisfied” with the operation “but their subsequent psycho-social adjustments were no better than those who didn’t have the surgery.”

“And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.”

Dr. McHugh also reported that there are “misguided doctors” who, working with very young children who seem to imitate the opposite sex, will administer “puberty-delaying hormones to render later sex-change surgeries less onerous – even though the drugs stunt the children’s growth and risk causing sterility.”
Such action is "child abuse,” said Dr. McHugh, given that close to 80% of those kids will “abandon their confusion and grow naturally into adult life if untreated ….”

In the words of Deep Thought, "Tricky."

While it's true we can't change our sex, in at least those instances where someone's other than XX or XY but one of the other possibilities, some transsexualism is a reality. But the 'changing' of your sex with surgery, hormones, and whatever else isn't changing anything except your appearence. The places that do those surgeries even make them abundantly clear, they're cosmetic procedures only.

Without knowing whether Bruce Jenner is XX, XY, or the other 4 likely chromosomal possibilities, I can't say with any certainty what his deal is. But no surgical procedure is going to alter his chromosomes. And if he is in fact XY (100% male) that's what he'll always be no matter what he looks like.

If someone's XXY or XYY or whatever the other ones are, identifies as trans, and wishes to undergo a procedure to make themselves 'more of how they feel' while it might well make one sex appear more dominant, even this is still just surgical procedure. They'll always be whatever their chromosomes say they are. But in their case at least, there's actual proof they are in fact transsexual/intersex, etc. Whereas someone who's 'male' or 'female' might have a kind of body dysmorphic disorder similar to annorexia.

This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken – it does not correspond with physical reality,” McHugh wrote. “The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”

The transgendered person’s disorder, said Dr. McHugh, is in the person’s “assumption” that they are different than the physical reality of their body, their maleness or femaleness, as assigned by nature. It is a disorder similar to a “dangerously thin” person suffering anorexia who looks in the mirror and thinks they are “overweight,” said McHugh.

This assumption, that one’s gender is only in the mind regardless of anatomical reality, has led some transgendered people to push for social acceptance and affirmation of their own subjective “personal truth,” said Dr. McHugh. As a result, some states – California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts – have passed laws barring psychiatrists, “even with parental permission, from striving to restore natural gender feelings to a transgender minor,” he said.

Thank you Dr. McHugh!

A professional finally woke up and spoke up :clap2:

Another blurb. It's like this guy was reading my posts. Or just in touch with reality and simple logical deduction! Logic. I love it:

"..at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.. Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist Transgender is Mental Disorder Sex Change Biologically Impossible

He even (correctly) used the word "cult" when referring to this subgroup. ! Finally one member of the crowd heard the little boy's voice and felt him tugging at his sleeve. The Emperor's Clothes have been exposed as a fraud and it's time to round up the tailors and put them on public trial.

Exhibit A: Prince s Trust Survey The Voices of the Voteless Children in Gay Marriage Debate US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum (watch the youtube video)

Last edited:
I don't see the parade you are talking about? Let him do what he thinks he wants and doctors are willing to do for him....

But I have always believed that it is a mental disorder... one that they may have been born with or developed over time....and for this REASON I will NOT mock any of them... not because I think this is normal, but because I feel they are not well and have a problem that they do not know how to fix....

This is it!

Without knowing whether Bruce Jenner is XX, XY, or the other 4 likely chromosomal possibilities, I can't say with any certainty what his deal is. But no surgical procedure is going to alter his chromosomes. And if he is in fact XY (100% male) that's what he'll always be no matter what he looks like.

If someone's XXY or XYY or whatever the other ones are, identifies as trans, and wishes to undergo a procedure to make themselves 'more of how they feel' while it might well make one sex appear more dominant, even this is still just surgical procedure. They'll always be whatever their chromosomes say they are. But in their case at least, there's actual proof they are in fact transsexual/intersex, etc. Whereas someone who's 'male' or 'female' might have a kind of body dysmorphic disorder similar to annorexia.
So are you for requiring genetic proof of what a "trans" person is claiming before any drug or surgery therapy is prescribed over mental therapy to get the person to accept the reality of their actual gender?

John Hopkins made his fortune trading and selling, "Hopkins' Best", whiskey..Feel the burn............

Sorry, they sent in moonbat to attempt a diversion/minimizing...

where were we?...Oh, right..

So are you for requiring genetic proof of what a "trans" person is claiming before any drug or surgery therapy is prescribed over mental therapy to get the person to accept the reality of their actual gender?

PaintMyHouse said:
Just because you're smart and accomplished doesn't mean you aren't wrong, and he is.

I wonder what sex he thinks XY women and XX men are?

XY genes are male and xx genes are female.

There are no XY females and there are no xx males.

And all of the nonsense which claims there are is just that: NONSENSE!

This is another deceitful rant by the Advocacy to Normalize Sexual Abnormality, which not a single fucking word was spoken until the "Shades of ghey"
Cult film was trotted out to help the idiots "Believe" in the existence of 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gender.

All brought to you by the same cult that brought you Eugenics and more recently GLOBAL COOLING! ... and most recently... GLOBAL WARMING!

They're all damnable lies designed to influence the lowest common denominator.

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

So adherence to fundamentals is somehow a sign of psychosis?

I for one would LOVE to see the math on that one.

Talk about a non sequitur.. WTF does religion have to do with amputating healthy genital and urinary organs in an attempt to conspire to bring a stark mental delusion about concrete physical reality "to fruition"?

When the Christians start insisting they are wildebeasts and insist their children be drugged in order to prepare them for their "horn implant surgery" in their skulls, then we can compare the two.

Otherwise...apples and oranges...

I happen to agree with this doctor.

Particularly with regard to people who feel their children are acting in a manner that suggest they should be the other gender. To act upon that and force a child into a sex change before they are old enough to make that kind of choice themselves is a criminal act and should be punished by no less than the taking of their lives; for that is what they did to their child if they go through with it.

As for getting the surgery.....This was a free country, and adults ARE free to make choices about their lives.

PaintMyHouse said:
Just because you're smart and accomplished doesn't mean you aren't wrong, and he is.

I wonder what sex he thinks XY women and XX men are?

XY genes are male and xx genes are female.

There are no XY females and there are no xx males.

And all of the nonsense which claims there are is just that: NONSENSE!

This is another deceitful rant by the Advocacy to Normalize Sexual Abnormality, which not a single fucking word was spoken until the "Shades of ghey"
Cult film was trotted out to help the idiots "Believe" in the existence of 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gender.

All brought to you by the same cult that brought you Eugenics and more recently GLOBAL COOLING! ... and most recently... GLOBAL WARMING!

They're all damnable lies designed to influence the lowest common denominator.

Woah, why are libbies so anti-science?

Transgenderism is a mental illness, and anyone who says otherwise is equally mentally disturbed.

Paul McHugh Transgender Surgery Isn t the Solution - WSJ
Psychiatrist in chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital is pouring rain on the Bruce Jenner “Call Me Caitlyn” parade that’s sure to have the former Olympic athlete’s cheerleaders steaming.

Not only does Dr. Paul R. McHugh consider changing sexes “biologically impossible,” he thinks being what is popularly called “transgender” these days is actually a “mental disorder.”

McHugh, who has authored six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical journal articles, made the statements in a piece he penned for the Wall Street Journal that argued surgery is not the solution for patients who want to live life as the opposite sex.

Such people, he wrote, suffer from a “disorder of assumption” in believing they can choose their sex.

He also cited a study that said transgendered people who have reassignment surgery are 20 times more likely to commit suicide than non-transgendered people,

While the Obama administration, Hollywood and major media such as Time magazine promote transgenderism as “normal,” McHugh wrote, said Dr. McHugh, these “policy makers and the media are doing no favors either to the public or the transgendered by treating their confusions as a right in need of defending rather than as a mental disorder that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention.”

“This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken – it does not correspond with physical reality,” McHugh wrote. “The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”

The pro-transgender advocates do not want to know, said McHugh, that studies show between 70% and 80% of children who express transgender feelings “spontaneously lose those feelings” over time. Also, for those who had sexual reassignment surgery, most said they were “satisfied” with the operation “but their subsequent psycho-social adjustments were no better than those who didn’t have the surgery.”

“And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.”

Dr. McHugh also reported that there are “misguided doctors” who, working with very young children who seem to imitate the opposite sex, will administer “puberty-delaying hormones to render later sex-change surgeries less onerous – even though the drugs stunt the children’s growth and risk causing sterility.”
Such action is "child abuse,” said Dr. McHugh, given that close to 80% of those kids will “abandon their confusion and grow naturally into adult life if untreated ….”
Yep

I wonder what sex he thinks XY women and XX men are? Is an X0 woman only half a woman? How about XXXY? Nature, unlike this probably very nice old man, does not suffer from black and white thinking.
This is a perfect example of a person with a mental disorder.

Forum List

Back