Joss Whedon, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Now that I've gotten a chance to see it, my thoughts.

Whedon does a very good job of delivering typical Whedonian moments. Definitely the final scene where they take down the construction worker who was the subject of an expirament gone wrong was pretty good.

I think one think that annoyed me was the Ming Na character. Once again, you have an Asian character in a show like this, and she's regulated to either being a martial artists or a techno-geek. Speaking of Ming, she's only a year younger than I am, and I'm older than dirt. Maybe fifty is the new thirty.

Now that I've gotten a chance to see it, my thoughts.

Whedon does a very good job of delivering typical Whedonian moments. Definitely the final scene where they take down the construction worker who was the subject of an expirament gone wrong was pretty good.

I think one think that annoyed me was the Ming Na character. Once again, you have an Asian character in a show like this, and she's regulated to either being a martial artists or a techno-geek. Speaking of Ming, she's only a year younger than I am, and I'm older than dirt. Maybe fifty is the new thirty.

She's very talented and OMG, I had no idea she was ancient! ;)

The season premier did absolutely nothing for me!

But, will give it a chance as there's little else better on the boob tube.

It was definitely better than average TV fare. Had many of the Whedonesque watermarks. But I still struggle to find much in the superhero motif that attracts me. That's what I liked so much about Firefly. Despite the fact that it was nominally a sci/fi action-adventure serious, it wasn't preoccupied with over-the-top hero moments. Mostly, it was just about ordinary "folks" trying to get by.

>

Any thought's on the thing that Coulson must never be told?

First thoughts:

1. Mine - That he really died and he's really an android.

2. Wife's - That he really died and he's really a clone.

3. Similar but both premised on the same idea that his consciousness was downloaded for import into a new body and that he originally died in the Avengers.​

I mean memories of Tahiti? Really?

>>>>

>

Any thought's on the thing that Coulson must never be told?

First thoughts:

1. Mine - That he really died and he's really an android.

2. Wife's - That he really died and he's really a clone.

3. Similar but both premised on the same idea that his consciousness was downloaded for import into a new body and that he originally died in the Avengers.​

I mean memories of Tahiti? Really?

>>>>

4. Joe B.'s - Clark Gregg was the only actor from the film franchise who was willing to work for Television Scale.

I'm not sure, though that the exchange between that chick and Sheppard Book was actually about Caulson, it might have been about her!

Well, we'll see.

Last edited:

It was definitely better than average TV fare. Had many of the Whedonesque watermarks. But I still struggle to find much in the superhero motif that attracts me. That's what I liked so much about Firefly. Despite the fact that it was nominally a sci/fi action-adventure serious, it wasn't preoccupied with over-the-top hero moments. Mostly, it was just about ordinary "folks" trying to get by.

kinda like Farscape.....

kinda like Farscape.....

yeah, but it became about the rise and fall of Empires pretty quickly...

I thought the first episode was decent.

The second was less so.

I am not hopeful about the show at the moment. Too commercial, too cliche, and either the actors don't gel or the writing doesn't allow for it.

Remember, Joss Whedon only helped with writing the first episode. Other than that he's a producer. It is his brother Jed who is making the show. And, of course, the Marvel execs probably have a good amount of input.

There are good moments here and there, but overall the first two episodes have been forgettable.

The second was less so.

I am not hopeful about the show at the moment. Too commercial, too cliche, and either the actors don't gel or the writing doesn't allow for it.

Remember, Joss Whedon only helped with writing the first episode. Other than that he's a producer. It is his brother Jed who is making the show. And, of course, the Marvel execs probably have a good amount of input.

There are good moments here and there, but overall the first two episodes have been forgettable.
Why would Marvel execs having a say be a bad thing? They did create the damn thing in this first place you know.

The second was less so.

Why would Marvel execs having a say be a bad thing? They did create the damn thing in this first place you know.

Executive input is, IMO, generally not a good thing. Even with the best intentions there is too much chance of screwing up what the writers/directors are trying to do.

The second was less so.

Executive input is, IMO, generally not a good thing. Even with the best intentions there is too much chance of screwing up what the writers/directors are trying to do.

You obviously dont read comics.

Actually I read many comics. Has nothing at all to do with my point.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is not some direct comic adaptation. Nor do I think the only thing Marvel execs might do is try to stay true to the comics.

It's not as though they've remained true to the comics in the Marvel movies! Hell, at this point they are trying to adapt the comics to fit the movie universe.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is not some direct comic adaptation. Nor do I think the only thing Marvel execs might do is try to stay true to the comics.

It's not as though they've remained true to the comics in the Marvel movies! Hell, at this point they are trying to adapt the comics to fit the movie universe.
The point is they are far more creative then TV. Period.

The point is they are far more creative then TV. Period.

That comics are more creative than tv really doesn't say anything about the Marvel executives unless they are the ones creating the comics. I feel confident Marvel has plenty of high-level employees that have nothing directly to do with creating their comics.

Forum List

Back