Junk Yards Refusing To Take Electric Vehicles

I had a really hard time recently just finding a place that would take an old gas powered chainsaw, even with the fuel and oil drained out of it.

I had a really hard time recently just finding a place that would take an old gas powered chainsaw, even with the fuel and oil drained out of it.

Oregon dumps take those for free ... toss it in the metals bin ... auto batteries are free to dump as well, BUT that doesn't include any big rush of EV batteries ... yet ... [tick, tick, tick, tick] ...

The telling thing in this thread is if this were ICE vehicles being slapped with this charge there would be cries of government over regulation, but here it's a cudgel to rant on EVs.

Where are we to take these things now?

OMG! People dislike dealing with Li batteries!!! It's almost like it happens with regular electronics already!!!

Why do you guys act like EV's are some special case? You know (or should know) that Li batteries have been used in consumer goods now for a rather long time now. And yes, Li cells are a fire hazard.

And yes, Li has to be mined!

I wish you all understood technology a bit better.

Oregon dumps take those for free ... toss it in the metals bin ... auto batteries are free to dump as well, BUT that doesn't include any big rush of EV batteries ... yet ... [tick, tick, tick, tick] ...

Ummm, Oregon currently suggests you dispose of household Li cells at a hazardous waste take-back event. They aren't to be treated as regular trash.

But you guys don't ever seem to think about how Li batteries are already stuff you have to deal with as it is.

Ummm, Oregon currently suggests you dispose of household Li cells at a hazardous waste take-back event. They aren't to be treated as regular trash.

But you guys don't ever seem to think about how Li batteries are already stuff you have to deal with as it is.

"Suggest" is right ... the State isn't paying for hazardous waste take-back events ... so that's not happening in Oregon's rural counties ...

However ... "No person may place a used lead-acid battery in mixed municipal solid waste, discard or otherwise dispose of a lead-acid battery in this state except by delivery to a lead-acid battery retailer or wholesaler, to a collection or recycling facility authorized under [another section of this statute]" -- ORS 459.420

My guess is that Lithium batteries aren't a disposal problem yet ... so when they are, a similar statute will be caste ... and moneys appropriated ... and to be clear ... Lithium is a prescription medication ...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back