Just got a meat grinder

Omg. This was such a good idea!
I made a creamy spread with a tomato, jalapeño and avocado. Muenster cheese.
So you gucked it up.
That was my condiment lol
What do you fry it in, and is coffee the only thing you add ?

Cast iron fry pan but any would work. Yup, just the drippings and the coffee. It's thin, not a gravy gravy.
I meant the oil. Crisco?

If i can find some casings sat morning, me and a buddy are making brisket boudain and beef filet sausage. Smoke em both low and slow and then hit em with some flame for a couple minutes(if needed).
Gonna be FIRE

I meant the oil. Crisco?

Not sure you meant me quote chain too long.

Any oil, I use OVO (for just about anything) but any. Just a bit so the ham doesn't stick. It's sticky. If VA cured, you can soak it a while, dab dry, to remove salt and some sticky. I don't, one gets used to it the way it comes. Use just enough oil to brown it. Add coffee (strong) to the drippings. It's thin, but good, and different. Drag your biscuits and chunks of ham thru it and enjoy. I'm a yank but learned to love and try these different south foods. Want a good one? Try Burgoo. Needs it's own thread!

Did not like the beef sausage. The texture ruined it.
They looked really good for my first try though.

Not a fan of beef sausage....unless ya put a lot of pork in it. :biggrin:
Had a great smoke ring, perfectly made sausages and the seasoning was good. But that damn texture! lol
Next time, im just going to use a pork shoulder.

Had a great smoke ring, perfectly made sausages and the seasoning was good. But that damn texture! lol

Was it crumbly?
yeah kinda. Like it didnt crumble apart but thats the way it felt in your mouth lol

Was it crumbly?
yeah kinda. Like it didnt crumble apart but thats the way it felt in your mouth lol

The only things I know that will cause that is over cooking or not enough moisture/fat.

Was it crumbly?

The only things I know that will cause that is over cooking or not enough moisture/fat.
It wasnt dry and i used all the fat from the brisket and we added beef fat to the filet mixture.
But maybe it was overcooked... that does make sense.

Was it crumbly?

It wasnt dry and i used all the fat from the brisket and we added beef fat to the filet mixture.

What temp did you take it to?
Shouldnt be more than 160 internal. If your casings crack that make it dry as well.

Was it crumbly?

Shouldnt be more than 160 internal. If your casings crack that make it dry as well.
One casing cracked. I was proud of that low number lol.
Kept it around 250 for 1 1/2 or so, i think... lol I drank almost a whole 5th of buffalo trace during that long prep

Was it crumbly?

One casing cracked. I was proud of that low number lol.
Kept it around 250 for 1 1/2 or so, i think... lol I drank almost a whole 5th of buffalo trace during that long prep

It can be a bitch to check the internal temp since ya dont want to punch holes in your sausage.
I use a super thin probe thats left in the sausage while cooking. Go in from the end where the twist is and tie it off with a piece of cooking twine.

Have you ever used that fiber-whatever casing? The maroon one?

Forum List

Back