Just Re-Watched the Scariest Movie in History

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Alien, of course. It was on the BBCrap a few hours ago. My god, I've never seen a movie that could build up such a dark, cold-blooded, mysterious atmosphere. And be able to gradually ratchet up the suspense to such an extreme level, it was almost physically difficult to watch. I'm making this thread because it's been a whole bunch of years since I last watched "Alien" and I had forgotten just how fucking GOOD this grim masterpiece was. And it doesn't even look like a 40-year-old movie at all; it's productions values are just as polished today as they were back in '79.

Can anyone name me anything more nerve-racking, pressure-filled scary in a movie than the sequence near the end when Ripley was outracing the ship's self-destruct clock to get to the escape pod?

Alien, of course. It was on the BBCrap a few hours ago. My god, I've never seen a movie that could build up such a dark, cold-blooded, mysterious atmosphere. And be able to gradually ratchet up the suspense to such an extreme level, it was almost physically difficult to watch. I'm making this thread because it's been a whole bunch of years since I last watched "Alien" and I had forgotten just how fucking GOOD this grim masterpiece was. And it doesn't even look like a 40-year-old movie at all; it's productions values are just as polished today as they were back in '79.

Can anyone name me anything more nerve-racking, pressure-filled scary in a movie than the sequence near the end when Ripley was outracing the ship's self-destruct clock to get to the escape pod?

I've seen scarier, but I don't watch scary movies, but I can't actually name the ones I've see that are scarier.

I've seen scarier, but I don't watch scary movies, but I can't actually name the ones I've see that are scarier.

Then why haven't you named one?

I went to the DC premiere of ALIEN. The only part that scared the crap out of me was when Dallas, Ripley and Ash were searching for the facehugger after it let go of Kane.

In the film a wastebasket tipped over, loudly. I jumped. So did everyone else.

During later viewings, I watched for the scene, and laughed when the audience jumped en masse. Was funny.

That would be my pick.

First R movie I saw as a kid. The notion of being literally nowhere trapped on a ship with a devastating life form added to the hopelessness of the characters situation.

I also remember the original War of the Worlds freaking me out about the age of 6 or 7.

The zombie or haunting movies never really scared me.

I recommend the Dark Skies, though I only saw it once and it was some time ago, I just remember that is was a slow, intense movie that was powerful enough for me to type this.

Don't get me wrong. I love Alien. However . . .

I went to the DC premiere of ALIEN. The only part that scared the crap out of me was when Dallas, Ripley and Ash were searching for the facehugger after it let go of Kane.

During later viewings, I watched for the scene, and laughed when the audience jumped en masse. Was funny.

I'll bet it must have really been something to see on a big movie screen. But I was a small child at the time and my aunt let me watch it with her on HBO when I was around 7. So you can imagine the long term nightmares/trauma my 7-year-old self got from seeing Alien for the first time.

SCARIEST MOVIE? Ever? The thing, the John Carpenter version .I watched it twice. That was it, never again. It was so repellent. Good though in a horrible way.

I recommend the Dark Skies, though I only saw it once and it was some time ago, I just remember that is was a slow, intense movie that was powerful enough for me to type this.

Was that the one with the kids being watched by aliens? There were some very scary scenes in that movie.

Then why haven't you named one?

Just typical of frigidweirdo. Here he even contradicts his own post. He's seen scarier, but he doesn't watch them.

He's simply a troll, not worthy of any reply.

I liked the suspense in the scene when Ripley discovers that the company sent the crew to retrieve the lifeform at their expense and Ash tries to kill her. We then find out Ash is a company droid to help that happen. Added to the hopelessness.
Or the scene trying to get to the lifeboat before the ship went nuke, and she hears the others dying over the intercom.
I was young when I saw the movie, so it really stuck. Not to mention seeing Ripley in her undies. :rolleyes-41:

SCARIEST MOVIE? Ever? The thing, the John Carpenter version .I watched it twice. That was it, never again. It was so repellent. Good though in a horrible way.
That was another good suspenseful movie. Never knew who or what was infected. Trapped in the arctic with no help also.
The scene when they tested the petri dishes of blood and the one sample literally jumps out of the dish was pure gold. Then the creature changes while the other guys are still tied up. Classic.

Was that the one with the kids being watched by aliens? There were some very scary scenes in that movie.

Yeah, though you spoiled it for others, hah.

If I recall, I couldn't figure out if it was supernatural or what the outcome was going to be, for me the scene when they meet J.K Simmons (a great actor for what it's worth) really struck me hard. It just became intense after that meeting and he clarified their plight. Expressed the empty hopelessness, and you sensed that the family at that point realized it though couldn't completely accept it for many reasons.

Not having control and helplessness is more frightening to me than most stimuli. I don't get frightened by demons, Satan and such, I just don't. I don't feel fear of a stalker hunting me down, as I feel I'm strong enough and smart enough to at least have a chance against them. However, the unknown and which you cannot stop is horrible, especially when it's your kid who is the target rather than yourself.

I thought it was really well done, and I was at least at one point a movie-holic.

That was another good suspenseful movie. Never knew who or what was infected. Trapped in the arctic with no help also.
The scene when they tested the petri dishes of blood and the one sample literally jumps out of the dish was pure gold. Then the creature changes while the other guys are still tied up. Classic.

Yes, that was a pretty good movie. Location was important. Might be worth revisiting as I am older.

Since I want to be fair to the OP, the movie Alien for whatever reason was one I never watched from end to end. Strange to say, even though I know the plot and some of the intense scenes. What I found scary about that movie is the location as well, on a spaceship, with nowhere to run.

As it were, I always considered it at least partially a sci-fi, and I'm not a sci-fi guy outside of the odd old Twilight Zone episode so I couldn't get myself to watch it from start to finish. The scenes I did watch I do remember as being a claustrophobic feeling.

If I recall, I couldn't figure out if it was supernatural or what the outcome was going to be, for me the scene when they meet J.K Simmons (a great actor for what it's worth) really struck me hard. It just became intense after that meeting and he clarified their plight. Expressed the empty hopelessness, and you sensed that the family at that point realized it though couldn't completely accept it for many reasons.

Not having control and helplessness is more frightening to me than most stimuli. I don't get frightened by demons, Satan and such, I just don't. I don't feel fear of a stalker hunting me down, as I feel I'm strong enough and smart enough to at least have a chance against them. However, the unknown and which you cannot stop is horrible, especially when it's your kid who is the target rather than yourself.

I thought it was really well done, and I was at least at one point a movie-holic.

I liked it enough to watch it numerous times. The scene where the mother walks in to see this thing standing over her child's bed is terrifying. Then she looks again, and her child is gone. It was a very well done movie.

Have you ever seen the "buff" JK Simmons? The dude is a beast.

JKSimmons-large_trans_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2oUEflmHZZHjcYuvN_Gr-bVmXC2g6irFbtWDjolSHWg.jpg

Forum List

Back