Kamala Endorses Dockworkers Strike That Union Boss Boasted Would ‘Cripple’ The Economy

People are allowed to seek a raise. Odd how dockworkers are greedy but a CEO making multi-millions a year isn't.

Are they asking for a lot right now? Yes, but unless you have been living under a rock, you understand that is how negotiations work.

Sheesh.
They turned down a base pay of $120,000. And they want assurances that their greedy asses won’t be replaced with machines.

That would be like the checkers at the Piggly-Wigly getting together and demanding a salary of $90,000 and the promise of no self-serve lanes.

Sorry, not sorry. Biden has to get the greedy dockworkers back to work.

They turned down a base pay of $120,000. And they want assurances that their greedy asses won’t be replaced with machines.

I certainly don't blame them.

That would be like the checkers at the Piggly-Wigly getting together and demanding a salary of $90,000 and the promise of no self-serve lanes.

If they can get it, go for it.

Not his job IMO. You big government proponents need neutered.

They rejected an offer of 50% vs. their demand of 77%.
And they’re already decently paid. They want nearly double their salary. With overtime, they can earn close to $200,000 a year.

All that will do is drive the costs of everything up on everyone else.

And the kicker is part of their demand is no machines. They KNOW they’re not worth the money, and they KNOW there is a more cost-effective way of doing the work, but they are trapping Americans (who ultimately pay the cost) into this.

Unions had their purpose in the 30s, when workers were being paid slave wages and suffering all sorts of abuse. But for 6-figure esrners with no education to get together and squeeze Americans to pay them $150,000 should be stopped. And Biden could do it if he weren’t afraid of the election.

And they’re already decently paid. They want nearly double their salary. With overtime, they can earn close to $200,000 a year.

And the kicker is part of their demand is no machines. They KNOW they’re not worth the money, and they KNOW there is a more cost-effective way of doing the work, but they are trapping Americans (who ultimately pay the cost) into this.

Unions had their purpose in the 30s, when workers were being paid slave wages and suffering all sorts of abuse. But for 6-figure esrners with no education to get together and squeeze Americans to pay them $150,000 should be stopped. And Biden could do it if he weren’t afraid of the election.

Unions still have uses, but they have to realize they are fighting against their own obsolesce these days, not for basic rights.

The companies have made record profits. Those record profits don't drive up costs?

They can get paid to unload ships, or you can pay them to not work.

Unions still have uses, but they have to realize they are fighting against their own obsolesce these days, not for basic rights.
The dockworkers would be better off if they appreciated they were already well-paid considering how they can be replaced with machinery, and focus on blocking that - rather than ALSO demanding an exorbitant salary.

Sending in the Govt is always your answer to any problem.

The dockworkers would be better off if they appreciated they were already well-paid considering how they can be replaced with machinery, and focus on blocking that - rather than ALSO demanding an exorbitant salary.

Or work to slow the integration, as it is inevitable

They still remember what happened to their numbers when containerization eliminated the need for hundreds of men to enter hulls and move and remove crates by hand, or at least move them into place for the cranes to lift them out.

The companies have made record profits. Those record profits don't drive up costs?
And when the greedy dock workers demand to be paid the same salary as an educated professional, you don’t think the companies will raise their costs to their customers - driving up prices even more?

Americans will pay the cost of this,

They can get paid to unload ships, or you can pay them to not work.
They’re not getting paid not to work. They are without pay right now.

Or work to slow the integration, as it is inevitable

They still remember what happened to their numbers when containerization eliminated the need for hundreds of men to enter hulls and move and remove crates by hand, or at least move them into place for the cranes to lift them out.
Good point. They should work to slow the integration, so the dockworkers - who already realize technology is rendering them obsolete - have time to retrain for a needed job.

I’d say over ten years. That would give the guys in their 50s time to work until retirement, and the younger guys to train in a new field.

And when the greedy dock workers demand to be paid the same salary as an educated professional, you don’t think the companies will raise their costs to their customers - driving up prices even more?

Sure. As does record profits.

Americans will pay the cost of this,

They’re not getting paid not to work. They are without pay right now.

Deflect all you want.

Good point. They should work to slow the integration, so the dockworkers - who already realize technology is rendering them obsolete - have time to retrain for a needed job.

I’d say over ten years. That would give the guys in their 50s time to work until retirement, and the younger guys to train in a new field.

You will still need them, just less of them, and more as Engineers/Operators than actual labor.

Sure. As does record profits.

Deflect all you want.
Defend the greedy dockworkers all you want. People are going to start dying if Biden doesn’t out a stop to their insane demands.

Now that I know these dockworkers are making as much as I did as a professional, I’d like to reduce their tips for taking my suitcase at the Cruiseport. But I’ve heard stories that some of them are so nasty that if you don’t pay up to their standards, your luggage doesn’t make it on the ship.

They sound like Mafia to me - pay up, or bad things will happen.

You will still need them, just less of them, and more as Engineers/Operators than actual labor.
The point still applies. The laborers can either move into higher levels, if they’re capable of it, or find another line of work.

As an aside, I’d say any of the laborers who can’t even move up into a higher level due to their own limitations are certainly not worth $140,000 base pay, or even $120,000 (the latter was offered, and rejected).

Forum List

Back