Keeping guns from criminals - liberals, what is your plan?

Keep guns from criminals...simple plan

1. Register all guns......ownership traceability
2. License gun owners.....ensure they have been trained and passed background check
3. Fingerprint all guns.....any bullet fired from that gun can be traced to the owner

Great idea! Case solved!

Hey, wait, what if criminals just bought an illegal gun? Wish I'd thought of that before. Oh wait, I did, it was in my OP post...

All this would be easier if criminals just followed the law, wouldn't it, comrade big guy?
Like all preventive measures, they are not 100% effective. Seat belts don't save all lives

However, being able to identify a gun from a bullet found at the scene of a crime will be a huge criminal enforcement tool

And how are you going to do that when they buy illegal guns?

You still aren't clicking with the part that criminals don't follow the law, are you?
You don't solve every crime. You assume all murders happen with untraceable guns.....they don't

2. License gun owners.....ensure they have been trained and passed background check
3. Fingerprint all guns.....any bullet fired from that gun can be traced to the owner

Great idea! Case solved!

Hey, wait, what if criminals just bought an illegal gun? Wish I'd thought of that before. Oh wait, I did, it was in my OP post...

All this would be easier if criminals just followed the law, wouldn't it, comrade big guy?
Like all preventive measures, they are not 100% effective. Seat belts don't save all lives

However, being able to identify a gun from a bullet found at the scene of a crime will be a huge criminal enforcement tool

You still aren't clicking with the part that criminals don't follow the law, are you?
You don't solve every crime. You assume all murders happen with untraceable guns.....they don't

You are a moving target, comrade big guy. How does that keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

Great idea! Case solved!

It already is. Why turn it into a tool to facilitate rounding up all of the legally owned weapons that will never leave a bullet at the scene of a crime unless your agenda is to create a national firearms registry in order to grab them all up at some later date?

Again, this will have zero effect on gun violence. Legal gun owners don't use their weapons to rob and kill people.
1. Knowing where weapons are will have no effect other than to facilitate picking them all up once Liberals achieve their goal of disarming the public.
2. Licensing gun owners will have zero effect other than placing another government roadblock in the way of exercising a right that "shall not be infringed". People that cannot pass a background check don't buy guns legally now. What will change once all legal owners are licensed?
3. A ballistic record of all guns? Really? NININ has about 1.5 million weapons in its data base now. These guns have already been used in a crime and the DB can be used to prosecute actual crimes. Universal ballistic fingerprinting would overwhelm the system with 200 times the data to sift through for no reason other that a back door to the national firearms registry y'all want.

2nd-Amendment-Script-e1370605862183.jpg
A gun owner is not a criminal up until the time he pulls the trigger to kill someone without cause.
Not all murders come from some bad guy wearing a mask. Most victims know their killer. Being able to trace a bullet at a crime scene to a specific gun is a huge enforcement tool. Being able to knock on a door and say.....a gun you own was used in a murder...what can you tell us?
What are the odds that my Arisaka 7.7mm built in 1936 will be used in a crime? Why fingerprint it unless your intent is to make confiscation easier at some later date?

Great idea! Case solved!

A fair number of bullets are traced to guns already in the data base.
The data base contains evidence in an ongoing criminal investigation. A national DB makes sense. Turning NIBIN into a registry containing 300 million records unlikely to EVER be used as evidence only makes sense if you want to know where every weapon is for some non-investigative purpose.

Great idea! Case solved!

It already is. Why turn it into a tool to facilitate rounding up all of the legally owned weapons that will never leave a bullet at the scene of a crime unless your agenda is to create a national firearms registry in order to grab them all up at some later date?
More paranoia from gun nuts

I register my car and have yet to have one confiscated. However, if my car is involved in a hit and run...it is traceable back to me

Great idea! Case solved!

I register my car and have yet to have one confiscated. However, if my car is involved in a hit and run...it is traceable back to me

And what do we learn from this, comrade grasshopper?

Great idea! Case solved!

Are there paint chips and tire impressions stored in a data base somewhere? More importantly, is there a Constitutional Amendment saying your right to own and drive a car shall not be infringed?

Great idea! Case solved!

Is there a political party out there that would love to confiscate cars, but can't because they don't have the power?

Great idea! Case solved!

That may be true in a case like a murder/ suicide. But who would use their own registered gun to shoot the convenience store guy to rob him of his money?

They get "commandeered" into it by law enforcement whenever they need manpower for that endeavor.

yes, law enforcement needs a good rugby match
the point is, dear, that law enforcement must always "win its matches" to ensure the domestic Tranquility of our free States.

You mean Provinces, eh?
whatever; would you be terribly upset if i "commandeered" you, for a few seconds?

And each one has been shown that it will not stop criminals or mass shooters at any level and the last one....isnt' even practical since guns are metal, and as they are used the alleged fingerprint will change with time.

1. If a gun is purchased by a straw purchaser, and given to a criminal, right now, they report the gun lost or stolen..so you can register every last gun owner...and it will not change what we have now. If a gun is stolen, then ownership traceabiltiy is meaningless..right?

What I have proposed is already possible. You catch a criminal committing a crime with a gun, you arrest them, you catch a felon just possessig a gun, you arrest them. You then use normal police work to find out where they got the gun from, which you can do right now without registering all guns. If you find an illegal gun dealer, one breaking the law, you use current police techniques to capture him...again, no need to register guns.

As we have seen around the world, registering guns is the first step toward confiscation, forced turn ins and any number of other anti gun extremist techniques to go after normal people with guns. Registering guns only effects non criminals.

Also...a Supreme Court decision already states that criminals do not have to register their guns, since that would be a violation of their 5th amendment protection against self incrimination, there by making it even dumber to register the guns of non criminals, the very people not breaking the law with guns.

2. Criminals already get past current mandatory federal background checks by stealing the guns, or by getting a straw purchaser to buy the guns for them or by buying the already illegally acquired gun from another source. These same methods would also avoid so called "universal background checks" the minute they go into affect.

As far as training goes, today, with current practices, in 2013 there were a grand total of 505 accidental gun deaths in a country of over 320 million people with over 12.8 million people carrying guns for protection in a country with over 320 million guns in private hands....

That's it.

So our current practices, un enforced by the government are doing a great job at keeping people safe with guns. American gun owners are already incredibly responsible with their gun ownership. If it isn't broken, you don't have to fix it.

And the one thing that would make us even safer....gun safety classes in all public schools...you guys fight it and won't allow it...I just posted an article that showed that an anti gun extremist group is fightign a school based, gn safety program....

And the only people who will get a license....normal, law abiding citizens.

And I live in Illinois. We already have a licensing system..called the Firearm Owners Identification Card...which you need to buy any gun or bullet in this state. And that system does not stop one shooting in Chicago by their gangs. So again, it is a pointless waste of time to require normal citizens to get a license.

It is also an infringement because it would be an extra cost to exercising the right to self defense, especially for the poor who are less capable of affording extra fees and taxes on that right. And they need to protect themselves more than anyone since they are underserved by a cities police department.

And since owning a gun is a right, just like voting, and democrats were told that it was illegal to charge a fee and require a test to exercise the right to vote, requiring a fee and a test to own and carry a gun is also un Constitutional.

And again, licensing gun owners is a step toward banning and confiscation and a means to limit access to guns to only those approved by the government...as we see in Europe where only the rich and powerful have access to the supply of guns.

3. They can alreay identify bullets to guns with current forensic science....any new demands are simply ways to increase the cost of guns to keep them out of the hands of normal people, since criminals who use the guns regardless of the fingerprint.

Added to that...the "fingerprint," will change over time as there is wear on the metal of the gun.

So....anything actually useful you want to try.....?

Great idea! Case solved!

they can already do that with current forensic techniques...the desire to create a new, useless mechanical feature in a gun is simply a way to make them more expensive and possibly less reliable...just what the anti gun extremists want.

Again, this will have zero effect on gun violence. Legal gun owners don't use their weapons to rob and kill people.
1. Knowing where weapons are will have no effect other than to facilitate picking them all up once Liberals achieve their goal of disarming the public.
2. Licensing gun owners will have zero effect other than placing another government roadblock in the way of exercising a right that "shall not be infringed". People that cannot pass a background check don't buy guns legally now. What will change once all legal owners are licensed?
3. A ballistic record of all guns? Really? NININ has about 1.5 million weapons in its data base now. These guns have already been used in a crime and the DB can be used to prosecute actual crimes. Universal ballistic fingerprinting would overwhelm the system with 200 times the data to sift through for no reason other that a back door to the national firearms registry y'all want.

2nd-Amendment-Script-e1370605862183.jpg
A gun owner is not a criminal up until the time he pulls the trigger to kill someone without cause.
Not all murders come from some bad guy wearing a mask. Most victims know their killer. Being able to trace a bullet at a crime scene to a specific gun is a huge enforcement tool. Being able to knock on a door and say.....a gun you own was used in a murder...what can you tell us?

Yes...and using current law enforcement techniques, the people who are not career criminals or sociopaths are easily found by police if they murder someone they know with a gun...current forensic and detective techniques do this everyday without registering guns or gun owners. My relative is a police detective and I have talked to him about these issues. There is nothing licensing or registering a gun will add to their ability to find a crimnal.

Being able to knock on a door and say.....a gun you own was used in a murder...what can you tell us?

"Officer, it was stolen...." " officer, it was lost." And there goes any connection......

Of course....right now, when I asked my detective relative, they already ask the perp where he got the gun.....and follow it from there...no need to license anyone or register the gun.

Forum List

Back