Keeping guns from criminals - liberals, what is your plan?

Criminals buy illegal guns now. The vast majority of crimes are committed with illegally obtained guns. It's just a fact and you didn't solve it

Every illegal gun starts out as a legal gun and you can't stop it. No legal guns = no illegal guns either.
Define illegal gun.
Define legal gun.

A gun is a gun.
Let me guess: you are on Ted Cruz's short list of Supreme Court nominees.

Define illegal immigrant.
Define legal immigrant.

An immigrant is an immigrant.

Tell Mom you think your water should be tested for lead. Seriously.
You really can't be as stupid as you look...
You say that like it might be true. Remember where we are. USMB is home to people with no more qualification to discuss events and policies than they have to do brain surgery.

Every time there's a shooting, liberals run around saying this proves we need more gun laws. I ask liberals over and over how exactly you are going to keep guns out of the hands of criminals every time you say you want more gun laws.

In particular, address given that drugs are illegal, and yet any parent knows any kid can get as much pot as they want. There are millions of guns in the US, millions more in the world. So don't just say more laws, explain how more laws are going to actually work.

So, there have been 7 shootings killing at least 10 people in the last decade. The only thing you've achieved so far is that no one was shooting back.

Many shooters are not criminals until they get ahold of a gun......what needs to be done is "keeping guns out of irresponsible people" - like in this case. But most gun nuts think everyone is entitled to a gun, and an AR15 if they so desire. Hope these irresponsible people only kill those in their own families....that seems fair.

Child in back seat gets ‘ahold of gun,’ shoots and kills woman driving car
Your link obviously points to an irresponsible gun owner. Those of us that are responsible would like to see those who's carelessness results in harm to others dealt with harshly.
What you fail to grasp is that I didn't leave a loaded gun on the back seat of that lady's car and infringing my right to own and carry a firearm will not prevent another kid from shooting his mom. However it may prevent me from defending myself or others in my home or business.
You bring up AR 15 as if you know something about guns.... Suppose you tell us what you know about the AR 15

Exactly. No one says, OMG, do you see what that idiot did in that car, what is wrong with cars!

1. Ban possession of all firearms and ammunition Illegal possession carries a $1,000 fine and mandatory 1 year in jail. The fine and jail terms double every year. Five years later it is a $16,000 fine and 16 years in jail.

2. Information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone in illegal possession of a firearm receives a reward equal to the fine on the year of arrest. Rat out someone who has a gun seven years after passage of the law and collect a $64,000 reward. Folks will be lined up around the block of every police station waiting to turn in friends, family and neighbors for that reward money.

3. All persons entering the US are subject to search for guns and ammunition. Conviction carries a mandatory life sentence without parole.

What a glorious and happy land America will be only ten years after this ground-breaking law comes into effect!

Fishy's plan ^ is a Police State for all! Brilliant. UnAmerican as all get-out. But very -- uh -- clever.
Stern enforcement of specific laws doesn't make America a police state. Our suppression attempts in regard to illegal drugs doesn't make us a police state. Similar legal effort to make guns illegal and remove them from American society wouldn't make us a police state either. I respect your strong opposition to my proposal but wild exaggeration isn't effective. Japan has some of the most restrictive gun legislation on the planet but nobody is seriously suggesting that Japan is a police state.

Hey fish douche: You cannot simply pass a law such as the simplistic crap YOU proposed since the Constitution says which laws are unauthorized and the Second amendment still exists.

To accomplish your "goal" first you'd have to repeal the Second amendment.

And confiscation of all guns is the very first step IN a police state. Try to learn something of history someday.

:thup:
Whenever I read one of these insulting, childish posts filled with unsupported generalizations about the Constitution and the history of the world, I know I am dealing with an angry, uneducated gun nut who posts on public forums to express his uncomprehending rage at things he doesn't understand and fears unreasonably. It used to make me sad, now I see it as the intellectual equivalent of gum on the sidewalk. Thanks for showing us your true colors.
Well you certainly showed YOUR true colors there, son.
"Generalizations" about the Constitution? Is the Second Amendment a "generalization? Are you insane as well as ignorant?
Your proposal would require the complete repeal of the second and possibly the 4th as well, but sadly, it wouldn't do very much good other than clog the courts with prosecutions of government manufactured criminals.
Thugs will still have guns. If you remember from kindergarten, bad people do not follow the rules.

I always like how liberals say Republicans are so dumb they think passing a law will get rid of drugs. Then they say, let's pass a law, that will get rid of guns!

Fishy's plan ^ is a Police State for all! Brilliant. UnAmerican as all get-out. But very -- uh -- clever.
Stern enforcement of specific laws doesn't make America a police state. Our suppression attempts in regard to illegal drugs doesn't make us a police state. Similar legal effort to make guns illegal and remove them from American society wouldn't make us a police state either. I respect your strong opposition to my proposal but wild exaggeration isn't effective. Japan has some of the most restrictive gun legislation on the planet but nobody is seriously suggesting that Japan is a police state.

Hey fish douche: You cannot simply pass a law such as the simplistic crap YOU proposed since the Constitution says which laws are unauthorized and the Second amendment still exists.

And confiscation of all guns is the very first step IN a police state. Try to learn something of history someday.

Whenever I read one of these insulting, childish posts filled with unsupported generalizations about the Constitution and the history of the world, I know I am dealing with an angry, uneducated gun nut who posts on public forums to express his uncomprehending rage at things he doesn't understand and fears unreasonably. It used to make me sad, now I see it as the intellectual equivalent of gum on the sidewalk. Thanks for showing us your true colors.

I don'

LOL.

Wrong. I simply point out the obvious, which is that you are none to bright and you are also wrong. UNLESS you repeal the Second Amendment, your idiotic "plan" cannot work.

And confiscation of guns IS a traditional move by tyrants to make sure the populace is unable to effectively defend itself against his aggression and usurpations.

It is not even open to doubt that you are far less educated than you pretend. Further, I am not angry and not a gun nut. BUT, I do support our Constitution and the right of a free people to have a useful mode of self protection against the imbecility you support.

Try again, ya hapless hopeless dipwad.

What you mean to say, or rather what you would say if your brain were not addled by wearing your sister's underpants over your head is "UNLESS the Supreme Court reverses its most recent interpretation of the Second Amendment, your idiotic plan cannot work".

Supreme Court rulings get reversed more often than you think, or possibly in greater numbers than you can count. I cited two famous ones. As for my "plan" being idiotic, well, it was drafted to win the attention of idiots. Based on your garbled fuliminations, I'd say it has exceeded beyond all expectation.

Gun nuts have become a comic trope in American popular culture. Members of the ever-shrinking minority of silly little guys that own guns now owns a dozen guns, drooling over them in the solitary splendor of the bedroom closet. Why does a gun nut need a dozen guns in the closet? For the same reason he needs a dozen girlie magazines under the mattress. One item is never enough for the fetish collector. Stay calm and keep 'em loaded. America needs laughs.

It's comic how you talk about pro-gun right advocates as "condescending" and yet you give a continual stream of these: "One item is never enough for the fetish collector." Physician, heal thyself

Have you noticed that it is impossible for gun fetishists to defend their obsession without spewing childish insults and adopting a pose of condescending superiority? This sort of thing only happens on anonymous bbs. Try it in scholarly print or legal argument and you get laughed off the stage.

The anger comes from a lurking fear that their little tin phalluses are in immanent danger of confiscation, like when Mom took away their B-B guns. The condescension is compensation for deep but justified feelings of inferiority. The inchoate writing style indicates an advocate with a long history of being over-matched going back to sad days in middle school.

It is no wonder that the civilized folk of America chortle at the Dad-blamed gun nuts. They are funny in a pathetic sort of way.

What is it with you anti gun nuts and fanasizing about penises and guns..........you can't go more than a few posts before you start talking about men's sex organs........you guys need help...fast.

Yep, it's the left who continually equate a gun with a penis, clearly showing where that particular problem is.

Criminals buy illegal guns now. The vast majority of crimes are committed with illegally obtained guns. It's just a fact and you didn't solve it

Every illegal gun starts out as a legal gun and you can't stop it. No legal guns = no illegal guns either.
Define illegal gun.
Define legal gun.

A gun is a gun.

Define legal immigrant.

The difference is that being a thing, a gun can start out legal, but then it can be obtained illegally. If a stolen gun is sold, it's an illegal gun. There's no analogy for that with immigrants and illegal aliens

Define illegal gun.
Define legal gun.

A gun is a gun.

Define legal immigrant.

You say that like it might be true. Remember where we are. USMB is home to people with no more qualification to discuss events and policies than they have to do brain surgery.
I realize where we are and that there are those here not particularly high up the evolutionary ladder, however, this one has a good command of the language and seems relatively intelligent, maybe even a stand out among those on the Left, BUT to not grasp the difference between immigrant and illegal immigrant?
Seems to be willful ignorance from where I sit.

Define illegal gun.
Define legal gun.

A gun is a gun.

Define legal immigrant.

I realize where we are and that there are those here not particularly high up the evolutionary ladder, however, this one has a good command of the language and seems relatively intelligent, maybe even a stand out among those on the Left, BUT to not grasp the difference between immigrant and illegal immigrant?
Seems to be willful ignorance from where I sit.
I am in complete agreement with you. I brought up the absurd idea that an immigrant is an immigrant to show the logical folly the claim that a gun is a gun, legal or illegal.

The legal status of a firearm is as easy to determine as the legal status of an immigrant and is done by pretty much the same method.

When statistics were cited about the use of illegal guns in crime, I responded with the statement which, although obviously true, seemed to confuse my interlocutor, namely that every gun begins as a legal gun.

Guns are legally manufactured and legally imported by gun wholesalers and dealers. These legal guns are legally transferred to retailers. It is at this point, or even further down the chain of custody, that the once-legal gun gets its illegal status.

It is difficult to know much about illegal guns in circulation but quite easy to identify the the starting and ending points in the transfer of a gun now in possession of the police because of its use in a crime. It is from these records that the statement about the prevalency of illegal guns in illegal situations is drawn.

That same data shows that the majority of once-legal but now illegal guns pass through a small minority of licensed gun dealers. Police investigation in places like NYC and Chicago have mapped out heavily travelled trails on which guns purchased out-of-state often by straw buyers, end up in the wrong hands.

Focusing law enforcement resources on the hot spots would significantly reduce the number of illegal guns in circulation without having any effect at all on the legal guns. Why is the promising and time-tested method of investigation not being followed? Because hidden provisions in the relevant federal legislation prevent it. This has been the work of gun industry lobbyists, not legitimate gun owners.

Kaz,

There is no certain way to prevent every case of illegal drug use.

There is no certain way to prevent every case of murder.

There is no certain way to prevent every case of speeding or drunk driving.

But we still have laws against these things so as to lower their occurrence.

No liberal I know thinks that increasing background checks is going to prevent every gun murder - but if it makes it harder for one mentally retarded psychopath to shoot up a school, than the goal is achieved.

On the OP's logic we shouldn't have laws against murder, rape or torture because said law cannot stop every instance of rape, murder and torture. This is wrongheaded. The test of any law or regulation or oversight mechanism must be if it reduces (not eliminates) the unwanted behavior.

There is nothing in the Constitution that stipulates that congress can't regulate who has access to guns. The framers didn't say that every prisoner in a maximum security prison has a right to carry a loaded weapon, nor did they say that kindergarten students could pack machine guns. These matters were left suitably open to legislation.

(And this coming from someone who has no problem with guns or gun ownership)

Last edited:
The OP asked "Liberals, what's your plan?" I posted my plan. Did I expect conservatives to like it? Did the conservatives expect that they would like it? Of course not on both counts. Does this mean that the thread is a mistake? No, it is interesting and helpful to see the opposing point of view. One might even engage in debate about some of evidence or argument presented by Liberals presenting their plans as requested. It's a debate forum, isn't it?

But what about the hostility, the sarcasm, the name calling? Is getting the opportunity to indulge in these attacks the real reason for asking for Liberal plans? Seriously, Dude, is that where you are coming from?

auditor0007

So, you keep repeating the canard that if we make guns illegal then:

1) Criminals won't be able to get guns
2) Everyone will be safe because no gun and the criminals won't commit the crimes and we're all safe without guns.

So what's your plan? There are 310 million guns in the US and hundreds millions more in the world. Yet you're going to keep all those out of the hands of criminals? Seriously? What's your plan to accomplish that? 6387 posts so far, and no actual plan from any of the liberals? So what's your plan?
1. Ban possession of all firearms and ammunition Illegal possession carries a $1,000 fine and mandatory 1 year in jail. The fine and jail terms double every year. Five years later it is a $16,000 fine and 16 years in jail.

2. Information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone in illegal possession of a firearm receives a reward equal to the fine on the year of arrest. Rat out someone who has a gun seven years after passage of the law and collect a $64,000 reward. Folks will be lined up around the block of every police station waiting to turn in friends, family and neighbors for that reward money.

3. All persons entering the US are subject to search for guns and ammunition. Conviction carries a mandatory life sentence without parole.

What a glorious and happy land America will be only ten years after this ground-breaking law comes into effect!

Smokin' the good shit today, eh, fishbrain?

auditor0007

So, you keep repeating the canard that if we make guns illegal then:

1) Criminals won't be able to get guns
2) Everyone will be safe because no gun and the criminals won't commit the crimes and we're all safe without guns.

So what's your plan? There are 310 million guns in the US and hundreds millions more in the world. Yet you're going to keep all those out of the hands of criminals? Seriously? What's your plan to accomplish that? 6387 posts so far, and no actual plan from any of the liberals? So what's your plan?

Smokin' the good shit today, eh, fishbrain?
It is sad to see someone with the necessary social capital to post online who is restricted to such a pathetic jibe.

On the OP's logic we shouldn't have laws against murder, rape or torture because said law cannot stop every instance of rape, murder and torture

That's a ridiculous analogy. Buying a gun is like committing murder? Most gun owners are honest citizens who never harm anyone with the gun. How many murderers never harm anyone with murder?

The acquisition of a tool is not analogous in any reasonable way to committing a crime.

Criminals buying guns is already illegal. Committing murder with a gun is already illegal.

Criminals get guns anyway. 3% of gun crimes are committed with a gun purchased legally. The issue is with our gun laws that you're preventing honest citizens from having guns when and where we need it. You aren't affecting criminal's ability to get them. They break the law. Think about it, they are ... criminals ...

The OP asked "Liberals, what's your plan?" I posted my plan. Did I expect conservatives to like it? Did the conservatives expect that they would like it? Of course not on both counts. Does this mean that the thread is a mistake? No, it is interesting and helpful to see the opposing point of view. One might even engage in debate about some of evidence or argument presented by Liberals presenting their plans as requested. It's a debate forum, isn't it?

But what about the hostility, the sarcasm, the name calling? Is getting the opportunity to indulge in these attacks the real reason for asking for Liberal plans? Seriously, Dude, is that where you are coming from?

The problem with your plan is that it would do more harm than good in this country. The question isn't how we'd do it in a made up world, it's what do you propose that would work in this one.

My plan is to maximize keeping criminals in jail to reduce repeat crimes and let people defend themselves. You'd start a rebellion trying to confiscate 310 million guns

You'd start a rebellion trying to confiscate 310 million guns

What a lot of the anti gun folks fail to realize is how many Americans really are pro gun ownership. Even if they don't own a one. That includes many of the folks that would be expected to do the confiscating.

It would be anarchy with few people left to control it to meet the ends wanted by the anti gunners.

The problem with your plan is that it would do more harm than good in this country. The question isn't how we'd do it in a made up world, it's what do you propose that would work in this one.

My plan is to maximize keeping criminals in jail to reduce repeat crimes and let people defend themselves. You'd start a rebellion trying to confiscate 310 million guns
The rebellion fantasy is a big part of the gun lover's world. Rebellion against an oppressive government, rebellion against foreign invaders, now rebellion against a gun confiscation law. They are all dreams.

For one thing, gun owners are not connected and are united only by their guns. They don't know each other, they have no communication or logistics and most of them are middle-aged country boys driving pickup trucks. Not much of a challenge for the state police.

The fantasy is one of jack-booted thugs standing on the front lawn exchanging fire with our gun-toting hero. That isn't the way things work. Court orders, civil fines, etc. the slow squeeze that collapsed the rebellious bluster of the gun nuts holed up in that wildlife sanctuary. Having a gun doesn't make you a soldier.

One good thing about that notional "rebellion" it would solidify majority support for gun confiscation. The American pea pull are sick and tired of these gun nuts with their crazy ideas.

I don'

LOL.

Wrong. I simply point out the obvious, which is that you are none to bright and you are also wrong. UNLESS you repeal the Second Amendment, your idiotic "plan" cannot work.

And confiscation of guns IS a traditional move by tyrants to make sure the populace is unable to effectively defend itself against his aggression and usurpations.

It is not even open to doubt that you are far less educated than you pretend. Further, I am not angry and not a gun nut. BUT, I do support our Constitution and the right of a free people to have a useful mode of self protection against the imbecility you support.

Try again, ya hapless hopeless dipwad.

What you mean to say, or rather what you would say if your brain were not addled by wearing your sister's underpants over your head is "UNLESS the Supreme Court reverses its most recent interpretation of the Second Amendment, your idiotic plan cannot work".

Supreme Court rulings get reversed more often than you think, or possibly in greater numbers than you can count. I cited two famous ones. As for my "plan" being idiotic, well, it was drafted to win the attention of idiots. Based on your garbled fuliminations, I'd say it has exceeded beyond all expectation.

Gun nuts have become a comic trope in American popular culture. Members of the ever-shrinking minority of silly little guys that own guns now owns a dozen guns, drooling over them in the solitary splendor of the bedroom closet. Why does a gun nut need a dozen guns in the closet? For the same reason he needs a dozen girlie magazines under the mattress. One item is never enough for the fetish collector. Stay calm and keep 'em loaded. America needs laughs.

As usual, you now remain wrong, fishfart:

What I MEANT to say is what I did say. And, your brain is far too minuscule to grasp anything sufficiently to pass judgment on these or any other important matters.

The Second Amendment still exists. The SCOTUS has even (fairly) recently reaffirmed that fact.

That a pinhead fishfucker like you may not like those facts really doesn't manage to change them.

Every time there's a shooting, liberals run around saying this proves we need more gun laws. I ask liberals over and over how exactly you are going to keep guns out of the hands of criminals every time you say you want more gun laws.

In particular, address given that drugs are illegal, and yet any parent knows any kid can get as much pot as they want. There are millions of guns in the US, millions more in the world. So don't just say more laws, explain how more laws are going to actually work.

So, there have been 7 shootings killing at least 10 people in the last decade. The only thing you've achieved so far is that no one was shooting back.

Many shooters are not criminals until they get ahold of a gun......what needs to be done is "keeping guns out of irresponsible people" - like in this case. But most gun nuts think everyone is entitled to a gun, and an AR15 if they so desire. Hope these irresponsible people only kill those in their own families....that seems fair.

Your link obviously points to an irresponsible gun owner. Those of us that are responsible would like to see those who's carelessness results in harm to others dealt with harshly.
What you fail to grasp is that I didn't leave a loaded gun on the back seat of that lady's car and infringing my right to own and carry a firearm will not prevent another kid from shooting his mom. However it may prevent me from defending myself or others in my home or business.
You bring up AR 15 as if you know something about guns.... Suppose you tell us what you know about the AR 15

Yeah...the problem with "responsible gun owners" is that they're not criminals until they get angry......and then they pull their gun out and kill someone. I'm sure that person (in my link) felt she was responsible. Here's another example for you.....and this is supposed to be a "Christian"....how responsible is that? I guess having a permit to a concealed gun allows you to shoot someone....in church....because they're in the wrong seat! And, he's only being charged with manslaughter? So much for responsibility.

Seat dispute leads to deadly shooting at Pennsylvania church

As for the AR-15....it happened to be the gun used by Adam Lanza in Newtown, Conn. He killed 20 first graders (and some others) each shot more than once....some as many as 11 times (what the military wanted out of this gun...the ability to kill even without good aim). It is a weapon with high capacity ammunition magazines that can "Spray" bullets within close to medium range. That is all I need to know - that if you plan to kill a lot of people in quick manner - then that's the one you should get. I don't believe I'll ever have a need for such. But, having any kind of gun makes even a supposed "responsible" gun owner feel like a real macho man, that he can just shoot someone because they sit in the wrong seat in church!

Exactly. No one says, OMG, do you see what that idiot did in that car, what is wrong with cars!

Like cars were created for the sole purpose of killing people?

Forum List

Back