Ken Burns Roosevelt Documentary

Has anyone been watching? It's fantastic and incredibly informative, even if you think you are familiar with their presidencies.

Every conservative should watch it (especially @PoliticalChic ). It will debunk all the garbage and revisionist history that dopes like the ones on this site continually try to sell.

Thanks for the heads-up.

But you have that backwards.

Haven't you noticed that none of your Roosevelt groupies have been able to contend with my posts?
I back up everything I post....with quotes, links and documentation.

So, my posts would do the 'de-bunking.'

Go back and read them after you watch the hagiography, and get off your knees.

You only imagine yourself debunking history with your superficial pop culture political interpretations.

I watched this show, loved it. But I was left wondering about the media NOW. TMZ and every paparazzi under god's green earth would have shouted out every failure, every indiscretion and the fact FDR had a physical disability since 1921....Why did the media have so much discretion then and none NOW?
Respect.

I've been to Warm Springs, and who but the worst cynic wouldn't admire or even love President Roosevelt? He was a great icon in American history. Whatever happened to men like him, Truman, and Kennedy? That was the Democratic Party of old. Today we get America-hating shitbags like Clinton and Obama. We get Marxists who want to destroy America. Roosevelt must be spinning in his grave.
Roosevelt was greatly hated by the Right Wing and Republicans when he was President.
And he "welcomed their hatred".

I've been to Warm Springs, and who but the worst cynic wouldn't admire or even love President Roosevelt? He was a great icon in American history. Whatever happened to men like him, Truman, and Kennedy? That was the Democratic Party of old. Today we get America-hating shitbags like Clinton and Obama. We get Marxists who want to destroy America. Roosevelt must be spinning in his grave.
Roosevelt was greatly hated by the Right Wing and Republicans when he was President.
The Right called FDR "a traitor to his class". How dare a rich man care for the less well off.

And he "welcomed their hatred".
Yes, the speech in which he called them the "Economic Royalists". That was memorable.
Speech before the 1936 Democratic National Convention

The Right called FDR "a traitor to his class". How dare a rich man care for the less well off.

And they called him Jewsevelt.

Hitler and Goebbels thought he was a Jew.

Haven't seen that one yet, but I do love Ken Burns documentaries. I'll definitely check it out.

A single cent of tax money used to subsidize lefty propaganda is too much.
Actual news accounts from the 1930s are "lefty propaganda"?

This is why the Right-Wing is a joke whom no one takes seriously, except other wingnuts.
It's how the accounts are framed. PBS is notoriously left wing. Left wingers' denial of that obvious reality is what makes anything they say dubious.

For those who watched did Burns cover these Roosevelt thoughts:

Teddy:

“We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

“But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn’t doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.”​

Teddy:

“There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.”

“This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.”

“But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.”

“The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.”

“The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.”

Theodore Roosevelt
Address to the Knights of Columbus
New York City- October 12th, 1915
Franklin:

“When I was a boy in the nineties, I used to see many deal French Canadians who had rather recently come into the New Bedford area, near the old Delano place, at Fair Haven. They seemed very much out of place in what was still an old New England community. They segregated themselves in the mill towns and had little to do with their neighbours. I can still remember that the old generation shook their heads and used to say, this is a new element which will never be assimilated. We are assimilating the Irish but these Quebec people won’t even speak English. Their bodies are here, but their hearts and minds are in Quebec.

Today, forty or fifty years later, the French-Canadian elements in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island are at last becoming a part of the American melting pot. They no longer vote as their churches and their societies tell them to. They are inter-marrying with the original Anglo Saxon stock; they are good, peaceful citizens, and most of them are speaking English in their homes.

All of this leads me to wonder whether, by some sort of planning, Canada and the United States, working toward the same end, cannot do some planning – perhaps unwritten planning which would not even be a public policy – by which we can hasten the objective of assimilating the New England French Canadians and Canada’s French Canadians into the whole of our respective bodies politic. There are of course, many methods of doing this, which depend on local circumstances. Wider opportunities can perhaps be given to them in other parts of Canada and the U.S.; and at the same time, certain opportunities can probably be given to non French Canadian stock to mingle more greatly with them in their own centers.

In other words, after nearly two hundred years with you and after seventy-five years with us, there would seem to be no good reason for great differentials between the French population elements and the rest of the racial stocks.​

Irrelevant. We are not talking about how foreigners viewed FDR. Pay attention.

Are you serious, moron? Who's this "we" you refer to? You don't represent anyone but your own pathetic self. Only insecure people use out of context collective pronouns. Now go back in the corner, continue picking your nose, and leave the adults alone.

Are you serious, moron? Who's this "we" you refer to? You don't represent anyone but your own pathetic self. Only insecure people use out of context collective pronouns. Now go back in the corner, continue picking your nose, and leave the adults alone.

You might want to check out which zone you are posting in before you go around insulting members.

WE refers to the intent of the conversation as laid out by the writer of the OP. Pay attention.

The taxpayer funded PBS station plays it over and over. I can't imagine Americans swooning over the legacy of a president who was so arrogant that he disregarded the long standing gentlemans agreement by every president since the 1700's not to run for more than two terms and forced an Amendment to the Constitution. I can't imagine support for the legacy of a freaking president who incarcerated American citizens on the basis of their ethnic appearance. If Japanese Americans were really a threat to the United States during war with Japan why didn't he lock them all up? Why didn't the government lock up all the Japanese in Hawaii which was a hot bed of espionage? The sleazy answer might be about democrat real estate speculators who pounced on confiscated Japanese American property. Was Roosevelt even in his right mind during WW2? His medical records disappeared from a locked safe after he died. Indications are that he was the victim of several strokes before he finally died.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting budget is about $445 million dollars. That’s less than $1.50 per person per year — or about one one-hundredth of one percent of the federal budget.
Five Things That Cost Taxpayers More Than PBS

I want my buck and a half back. I could do much better things with it.

Get out and travel a bit all you FDR detractors. His public works projects built thousands of beautiful post offices, court houses, and thousands of beautiful campgrounds for which I will ever be grateful. He put millions of people to work, including painters, writers, and poets. And look at the quality of what all those people produced. For his day, FDR probably pumped more American dollars back into America than any other president. His legacy is secure. He was a great president who loved this country. He didn't poison the wells like latter day democrat presidents. There was nothing hateful about the man.

He was the worst scumbag to ever soil the office of President of the United States of America, and one of the greatest threats to our Republic.

The people on the S.S. St. Louis didn't think he was.

"When Roosevelt was spending time in Georgia in the mid 1920s, he wrote a number of articles about the hot-button topic of the day, Japanese immigration. In one 1925 column for the Macon Daily Telegraph, FDR wrote: “Anyone who has traveled in the Far East knows that the mingling of Asiatic blood with European or American blood produces, in nine cases out of ten, the most unfortunate results.” The future president warned that “Japanese immigrants are not capable of assimilation into the American population.”"

The Truth About FDR and the Jews The Louis D. Brandeis Center Blog

"Not that FDR opposed all immigration; he favored the admission of some Europeans, so long as they had what he called “blood of the right sort.”"

Forum List

Back