Kerry: Obama Admin Is Rewarding Egypt With $190 Million in Aid -

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
lovely...this administration needs to be stopped giving our money away

Snip;
Kerry: Obama Admin Is Rewarding Egypt With $190 Million in Aid

Don’t look at the extremists behind the curtain, don’t look…

CAIRO (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday rewarded Egypt for President Mohammed Morsi’s pledges of political and economic reforms by releasing $250 million in American aid to support the country’s “future as a democracy.”

Yet Kerry also served notice that the Obama administration will keep close watch on how Morsi, who came to power in June as Egypt’s first freely elected president, honors his commitment.

“The path to that future has clearly been difficult and much work remains,” Kerry said in a statement after wrapping up two days of meetings in Egypt, a deeply divided country in the wake of the revolution that ousted longtime President Hosni Mubarak.

Egypt is trying to meet conditions to close on a $4.8 billion loan package from the International Monetary Fund. An agreement would unlock more of the $1 billion in U.S. assistance promised by President Barack Obama last year and set to begin flowing with Kerry’s announcement.

all of it here

- See more at: Weasel Zippers | Scouring the bowels of the internet | Weasel Zippers

Granny wantin' to know why the sequester don't affect Egypt...
:eusa_eh:
US pledges $450m to back Egypt's faltering economy
3 March 2013 - US Secretary of State John Kerry has pledged $450m (£300m) to support Egypt's faltering economy but warned Cairo that "more hard work" was needed.
Mr Kerry's comments came after talkswith President Mohammed Morsi. He urged Mr Morsi to ensure April polls were free, fair and transparent. His visit came amid unrest over a trial of alleged perpetrators of football riots last year. Hours after Mr Kerry left, a policeman was killed in the city of Port Said, the army said. A military officer was among several hundred wounded in the unrest, as police dispersed crowds with teargas. Mr Kerry's departure from Cairo was delayed because hundreds of al-Ahly football supporters blocked the road to the airport demanding justice over the Port Said riot in which 74 fans died.

Sharply divided

The elections are being boycotted by the main opposition group, amid continuing mass protests. The secular National Salvation Front (NSF) says electoral laws favour allies of President Morsi - a charge he denies. Egypt remains sharply divided between Islamists and their liberal and secular opponents.

More than 70 people were killed in violence between security forces and protesters following the second anniversary of the revolution that ousted President Hosni Mubarak. "It is clear that more hard work and compromise will be required to restore unity, political stability and economic health to Egypt," Mr Kerry said after Sunday's talks - on the second day of his visit to Egypt. "In all my meetings, I conveyed a simple but serious message: the brave Egyptians who stood vigil in (Cairo's) Tahrir Square did not risk their lives to see that opportunity for a brighter future squandered. "The Egyptian people must come together to address their economic challenge," Mr Kerry stressed.

He also said that Washington would now be providing the first $190m of the pledged $450m in budget support funds for Egypt. Mr Kerry earlier urged the Egyptian government the government to reach a deal on $4.8bn IMF loan that could unlock more US funds. Mr Morsi's government agreed the loan in principle last November but it was later put on hold amid the continuing street protests. John Kerry's first overseas trip as secretary of state is taking him to 11 countries in Europe and the Middle East.

BBC News - US pledges $450m to back Egypt's faltering economy

See also:

U.S. releases $250 million in aid to Egypt
March 3rd, 2013 - Calling it a "good-faith effort" to help the Egyptian people, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry released $250 million in economic aid Sunday, with a pledge of more if President Mohamed Morsy implements economic and political reforms.
Kerry's announcement came after a series of weekend meetings in Cairo with a cross-section of Egyptians and a two-hour session with Morsy on Sunday. "When Egypt takes the difficult steps to strengthen its economy and build political unity and justice, we will work with our Congress at home on additional support," Kerry said in a written statement on the talks. But right now, Kerry said, Egypt needs help. "In light of Egypt's extreme needs" and assurances by Morsy that he will take the steps necessary to obtain a major loan package from the International Monetary Fund, Kerry said the United States would provide the first $190 million of $450 million in already-promised support funds to the Egyptian government budget.

t1largkerrymorsy.jpg

Secretary of State John Kerry meets with Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy (R) and Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed K. Amr in Cairo

In addition, Kerry said, the United States will provide $60 million in direct support for an Egyptian-American Enterprise Fund geared toward Egypt's entrepreneurs, and fund a higher-education initiative to help students, especially women, earn undergraduate degrees in science, technology, engineering and business. Kerry said he was banking on Morsy's assurances that he would implement "homegrown" reforms to help secure agreement with the IMF and "put Egypt on the path to establishing a firm economic foundation and allow it to chart its own course." Morsy "agreed and said he plans to move quickly to do so," Kerry said. But Kerry is not releasing all of the $1 billion the Obama adminstration pledged to Egypt in May 2011, after the democratic revolution that toppled longtime strongman Hosni Mubarak.

In addition to Sunday's $190 million, there is an additional $260 million in budget support funds still pending. And in a separate tranche of money, there is a further $550 million for scholarships and loan guarantees. Release of these funds will be conditioned on Morsy's following through on political as well as economic steps. "The brave Egyptians who stood vigil in Tahrir Square did not risk their lives to see that opportunity for a brighter future squandered," Kerry said. "The Egyptian people must come together to address their economic challenge."

Concern still remains about free and fair elections, human rights, behavior of the police, clampdowns on nongovernmental organizations, and other problems that beset Egypt's troubled transition to democracy. "It is clear that more hard work and compromise will be required to restore unity, political stability and economic health to Egypt," Kerry said. "The upcoming parliamentary elections are a particularly critical step in Egypt's democratic transition."

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/03/u-s-releases-250-million-in-aid-to-egypt/

Last edited:
Think about this the next time obama says Republicans want to give tax breaks to the rich.

lovely...this administration needs to be stopped giving our money away

Snip;
Kerry: Obama Admin Is Rewarding Egypt With $190 Million in Aid

Don’t look at the extremists behind the curtain, don’t look…

CAIRO (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday rewarded Egypt for President Mohammed Morsi’s pledges of political and economic reforms by releasing $250 million in American aid to support the country’s “future as a democracy.”...

- See more at: Weasel Zippers | Scouring the bowels of the internet | Weasel Zippers

The peace between Egypt and Israel has lasted since the treaty went into effect, and Egypt has become an important strategic partner of Israel. Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, a former defense minister known for his close ties to Egyptian officials has stated that "Egypt is not only our closest friend in the region, the co-operation between us goes beyond the strategic." Egypt?Israel Peace Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me see, Stehamelia or a former defense minister...who to go with? damn, hard choice...damn.

Last edited:
Granny says, "Hey! - what about our own economy???...
:eek:
Secretary Kerry sees "urgent" need to revive Egyptian economy
March 2nd, 2013 - At a roundtable with business leaders in Cairo, Secretary of State John Kerry said it is "paramount, essential, urgent that the Egyptian economy get stronger, that it get back on its feet."
Sidestepping political divisions that are holding back reform, Kerry said he was not supporting any party or any political view. He said that in order for the economy to revive, there needs to be a sense of security and "an IMF agreement needs to be reached," he told the business leaders.

kerryegyptt1larg.jpg

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry poses with Arab League Secretary General Nabil al-Arabi after their meeting in Cairo

Sunday, when he meets with Egyptian president Mohamed Morsy, Kerry said he will speak about "very specific ways" in which President Obama wants to engage, including economic assistance, support for private business, increasing Egyptian exports to the U.S. and investing in Egypt's people through education.

He said he has spoken with the leaders of Great Britain, France, Germany and Turkey and all want to be helpful "but all of them believe Egypt must make some fundamental economic choices."

Source

See also:

US Releasing Millions in Aid to Egypt - in Exchange for Promises
March 3, 2013 — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday rewarded Egypt for President Mohammed Morsi's pledges of political and economic reforms by releasing $250 million in American aid to support the country's "future as a democracy."
Yet Kerry also served notice that the Obama administration will keep close watch on how Morsi, who came to power in June as Egypt's first freely elected president, honors his commitment and that additional U.S. assistance would depend on it. "The path to that future has clearly been difficult and much work remains," Kerry said in a statement after wrapping up two days of meetings in Egypt, a deeply divided country in the wake of the revolution that ousted longtime President Hosni Mubarak.

Egypt is trying to meet conditions to close on a $4.8 billion loan package from the International Monetary Fund. An agreement would unlock more of the $1 billion in U.S. assistance promised by President Barack Obama last year and set to begin flowing with Kerry's announcement. "The United States can and wants to do more," Kerry said. "Reaching an agreement with the IMF will require further effort on the part of the Egyptian government and broad support for reform by all Egyptians. When Egypt takes the difficult steps to strengthen its economy and build political unity and justice, we will work with our Congress at home on additional support."

Kerry cited Egypt's "extreme needs" and Morsi's "assurances that he plans to complete the IMF process" when he told the president that the U.S. would provide $190 million of a long-term $450 million pledge "in a good-faith effort to spur reform and help the Egyptian people at this difficult time." The release of the rest of the $450 million and the other $550 million tranche of the $1 billion that Obama announced will be tied to successful reforms, officials said.

Separately, the top U.S. diplomat announced $60 million for a new fund for "direct support of key engines of democratic change," including Egypt's entrepreneurs and its young people. Kerry held out the prospect of U.S. assistance to this fund climbing to $300 million over time.

- See more at: Kerry: US Releasing Millions in Aid to Egypt in Exchange for Promises | CNS News

Last edited:
I agree with our policy to give money, but I would not be giving them arms. We have discussed this before the only way to maintain or at least try to maintain any influence at all is the use of cash.

2 billion? He'll no, 450 million, yes.

US pledges $450m to back Egypt's faltering economy
3 March 2013 - US Secretary of State John Kerry has pledged $450m (£300m) to support Egypt's faltering economy but warned Cairo that "more hard work" was needed.

Meanwhile back in the US, Pentagon informs Congress of plans to furlough 800K civilian ..

I agree with our policy to give money, but I would not be giving them arms. We have discussed this before the only way to maintain or at least try to maintain any influence at all is the use of cash.

I haven't read many credible foreign policy magazine articles that support your views. Do you know any I can read?

I guess Obama has now decided Morsi and the Muslim brotherhood is a friend somehow I have my doubts it will be interesting to see what a 190 million buys us.

I agree with our policy to give money.

If the US has to borrow 40 cents for every dollar we give out, how can you possible agree with giving money to Egypt? For that matter How can you justify giving foreign aid to any country?

We have people raising holy hell over the 85 billion in sequester cuts yet we can find 190 million to give to Egypt anyone else see some major irony here?

We have people raising holy hell over the 85 billion in sequester cuts yet we can find 190 million to give to Egypt anyone else see some major irony here?

Do you have an clue how government works?

and the sequester line about the total amount or the percentage of the overall budget is a right wing messaging bullshit campaign.

The sequester cuts do not touch everything. Defense is in trouble and that is what the GOP voted on. Mandatory percentage cuts in individual budgets will cause pain.

The GOP Speaker said the cuts would be devastating and that is what the GOP understood when they passed the bill

Woodward summarizes the thoughts of the Obama team: "There would be no chance the Republicans would want to pull the trigger and allow the sequester to force massive cuts to Defense." Democrats, meanwhile, didn’t want to see their favorite domestic programs cut.

As the negotiations proceeded, Republicans seemed to think the same thing.

"Boehner told the House Republican leadership and other key members not to worry about the sequester … ‘Guys, this would be devastating to Defense,’ he said. ‘This would be devastating, from their perspective, on their domestic priorities. This is never going to happen,’" Woodward wrote.

I haven't read many credible foreign policy magazine articles that support your views. Do you know any I can read?

If I thought you were serious I would give it serious thought , but I don't so I won't.

Do you agree with giving them cash or you gonna dance around the shitpile?

How about arms?

and the sequester line about the total amount or the percentage of the overall budget is a right wing messaging bullshit campaign.

The sequester cuts do not touch everything. Defense is in trouble and that is what the GOP voted on. Mandatory percentage cuts in individual budgets will cause pain.

The GOP Speaker said the cuts would be devastating and that is what the GOP understood when they passed the bill

Woodward summarizes the thoughts of the Obama team: "There would be no chance the Republicans would want to pull the trigger and allow the sequester to force massive cuts to Defense." Democrats, meanwhile, didn’t want to see their favorite domestic programs cut.

"Boehner told the House Republican leadership and other key members not to worry about the sequester … ‘Guys, this would be devastating to Defense,’ he said. ‘This would be devastating, from their perspective, on their domestic priorities. This is never going to happen,’" Woodward wrote.

Far more than you do king of talking points.

If I thought you were serious I would give it serious thought , but I don't so I won't.

How about arms?
I am dead serious. It is an old hobby I am starting to get back into, FP papers

How about arms?

I trust my elected leaders to make those decisions. If they turn out to be bad ones, time will tell. We elect leaders to lead. The right keeps saying they want Obama and Dems to lead, yet when they do they accused of all sorts of imbecilic things, like wanting to destroy America, or watching our people die, on a live feed, and doing nothing:cuckoo:

I agree with Secretary Kerry

Far more than you do king of talking points.

again, you offer nothing but an attack and insults. you are what is called a 'tool'

Forum List

Back