🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Keystone Pipeline Benefits?

The new docks are for the expected huge increase in product exports. Those refineries have been recently upgraded specifically to be able to handle Bitumen from Canada. The plan was always to refine it here, in a free trade zone (Valero refinery is a free trade zone, they don't have to pay taxes for any value increase from refining) and to ship it out to the world market. Anything from Canada will not be ours, and will do nothing but make a fortune for oil companies. Very few jobs no increase of gas available to us, and nothing for us but the liability of another line that might leak.
^ that

From my understanding is that the keystone pipeline is solely about helping Canada get to the gulf and ship oil out the US and has nothing to do with: 1. Getting the US more oil (like many like myself were led to believe) and 2. Not about producing and sending any of our oil anywhere.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but other than the over inflated (yes the right lies about the number of jobs that are created, just like the left does) temporary jobs, what is the big benefit to the US that we continue fight back and forth over.

If it truly was about getting more Canadian oil to the stated, then I am for it. It should more forward, but if it's solely about getting Canadian oil to the gulf, then I have no idea why (other then generous kickbacks), whey the Republicans are pushing for this so hard!
You are correct in that there is very little benefit to this nation other than a handful of jobs. It is, as you suspected, a favor to our friends in Mexico North (Canada) Toro tinydancer Mr. H. CrusaderFrank

The downside is that this great nation's water supply is put at risk not to mention the planet's atmosphere by mining that carbon powder keg AKA- tarsands.

So where were you for Keystone I, Keystone II, Keystone III, the Alberta Clipper and Southern Lights?

Where were you, Darryl Hannah, Niel Young and that asswipe in the White House for all those other pipelines?

As far as the Ogallala goes, bite me ! Go ahead Dot Com and try to convince me that only the Keystone might have been a risk.

You've seen the maps of the thousands of miles of pipeline already criss crossing the aquifer.

For those that might be swayed with the enviro whackos lie that the Keystone Pipeline will destroy the Ogallala Aquifer you might want to see just how many pipelines exist across the Ogallala.

Then you have to ask yourself "where the fuck were all these hug mother earthers when all the others were built"?

This is strictly bullshit political theater for the White House, the Democrat Party and the lunatics who think that they can actually shut down the oil sands in Alberta.

Freaking maniacs. Because that is the penultimate goal of the activists. To shut down the oil sands.

th

Proposed pipeline route for XL. I think this is the most up to date route. If someone has a more recent one feel free to jump in and post it.

th

a one time situation IN OKLAHOMA .. Kansas and Texas, same thing ...

temp contract work, is not a JOB per se' ..

but it is good to know you're pro union now.

What the hell is with you? Being a construction worker means every job you are on is a temporary job for crying out loud.

It's what they do for a living. To say that a construction worker isn't working a "real job" is just freaking nuts.

then quit pumping up the job issues as if they're permanent jobs ... provide the actual work time too..

not a thing is wrong with me Miss Pro Union

I'm not pro Union neither am I anti Union workers. Not discussing the upper echelons of the Union heirarchy here nor their political persuasions.

I'm pro job. I'm pro worker.

Now lets get to temporary jobs. Construction workers work temporary jobs.

That is their life. It is the very nature of construction that keeps these jobs temporary.

And you are fucked in the head along with anyone else who would term construction projects as not giving skilled and unskilled workers a "real job".

It's really that simple. You are fucked up.

who cares what you think ? As a whole, the RW is anti union, and you don't speak for them . After the project is complete 50 PERMANENT jobs are left for you to be pro job/worker .. maybe, just maybe those 50 jobs will be held by American workers. Maybe Canadians. Either way, they'y be "Union Thugs" as the Republicans call them. Either way, you're an idiot.

The pipeline is not about permanent pipeline jobs. It's about increasing oil production & refinery jobs and cheap gasoline & fuel for US citizens.

Tie the pipeline to a larger infrastructure bill with high speed trains that reduce oil consumption & create jobs so everyone is happy.

There are NO benefit to finish the Keystone Pipeline. In ND, they are doing layoffs on oil rigs. In Colorado, they are doing laoyoffs on the Rigs. At this low, new discoveries just aren't being funded. Look for more layoffs. We have too much oil right now.

And if the Keystone is finished, it will impact US drilling and jobs even further in a negative manner. It's just Political BS all the way without considering US Workers. Gaining 35 long term jobs (Keystone) against the loss of thousands of US Oil Field Workers just doesn't make sense.

Where is it documented that most of the KXL oil will be exported?
16 hours. No reply? :dunno:

I've see this claim thrown around a lot as well, and I've never been able to find a decent source. What I have found is that about half of the refined product will likely be sold overseas. Which is not fantastic, but seems reasonable?

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, refineries in PADD 3 (called the Gulf Coast refineries district) produced 6.8 million bpd of refined product in August – the latest month data is available. However, some of these refineries are located in West Texas, New Mexico,Northern Louisiana and Arkansas, places too far inland to have access to the water for loading tankers. Coastal refineries in Texas and Louisiana produced about 6 million bpd of refined product, of which they exported 3.1 million bpd last month – over half of their production.

Fact Checking on Keystone XL and Exports - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
Thank you! Still haven't gotten my answer from what's-his-name.

We export about 2-1/2 million barrels/month of "Finished Petroleum Products".

U.S. Exports of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products

This nonsense about the KXL crudes being exported is bullshit.

This argument that all the oil from Alberta will be exported is so bogus.

One thing that has been sticking in my craw about this argument though is what other raw material that is used in the production of a product has anyone ever demanded that a finished product cannot be exported?

Gibson guitars imports wood for their factories. Has anyone ever demanded that those guitars can never be exported?

Thousands of US companies import raw material and produce a product. Are there any restrictions that forbid those companies from selling a finished product to any other country?

I haven't found any yet.

Of course the diluted bitumen will not be exported. That's why the line is ending at refineries instead of a port. . It's useless without refining. However the large majority of finished products will be exported.
Report Exporting Energy Security Keystone XL Exposed - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
Their new 75 million dollar dock, and their taking applications for dock workers should give you some hint of what their plans are.
New oil dock brings 75 million to Port Arthur - Beaumont Enterprise
Valero is a large refinery, and it's almost impossible to live near there, which I do, without knowing lots of refinery workers. The planned export increases are common knowledge.

Isn't it up to your refineries to decide whether or not to export the refined oil?

Keystone is just a pipeline. Just a transportation device for crude. Keystone is not an oil company. Canada is your number one supplier of oil. You need the supplies because you do not produce enough on your own.

It's coming to the Gulf and other refineries no matter what that asshole in the White House does or doesn't do.

XL is strictly a secondary northern leg. Keystone is transporting oil from Alberta to the Gulf as we post. The southern leg was finished and started pumping from Cushing to the Gulf since last year.

If Obama vetoes the northern leg it will be strictly symbolic because the crude is flowing via the pipelines and via Warren Buffets Santa Fe railway and via transport truck.

This is all a giant dog and pony show. It's bullshit.

What the hell is with you? Being a construction worker means every job you are on is a temporary job for crying out loud.

It's what they do for a living. To say that a construction worker isn't working a "real job" is just freaking nuts.

then quit pumping up the job issues as if they're permanent jobs ... provide the actual work time too..

I'm not pro Union neither am I anti Union workers. Not discussing the upper echelons of the Union heirarchy here nor their political persuasions.

That is their life. It is the very nature of construction that keeps these jobs temporary.

And you are fucked in the head along with anyone else who would term construction projects as not giving skilled and unskilled workers a "real job".

who cares what you think ? As a whole, the RW is anti union, and you don't speak for them . After the project is complete 50 PERMANENT jobs are left for you to be pro job/worker .. maybe, just maybe those 50 jobs will be held by American workers. Maybe Canadians. Either way, they'y be "Union Thugs" as the Republicans call them. Either way, you're an idiot.

The pipeline is not about permanent pipeline jobs. It's about increasing oil production & refinery jobs and cheap gasoline & fuel for US citizens.

Tie the pipeline to a larger infrastructure bill with high speed trains that reduce oil consumption & create jobs so everyone is happy.

There are NO benefit to finish the Keystone Pipeline. In ND, they are doing layoffs on oil rigs. In Colorado, they are doing laoyoffs on the Rigs. At this low, new discoveries just aren't being funded. Look for more layoffs. We have too much oil right now.

And if the Keystone is finished, it will impact US drilling and jobs even further in a negative manner. It's just Political BS all the way without considering US Workers. Gaining 35 long term jobs (Keystone) against the loss of thousands of US Oil Field Workers just doesn't make sense.

First off the Keystone is finished. Bet you didn't know that sparky.

Keystone has a direct run from Alberta to the Gulf. It also carries US oil production.

The northern secondary route the XL will pick up from the Bakkens in North Dakota and Montana. And guess who is desperate for the pipeline?

Your domestic producers. They need to get their crude to market. Canada and the US are not in competition here idiot.

Canada is your number one supplier because you can't produce enough on your own. And has been your number one supplier for a freaking decade.

And bloody well stop with the bullshit about only 35 permanent jobs. That's the lamest piece of garbage argument against building anything.

All construction jobs are temporary jobs.

And by the way these guys would tell you you are a fucking asshole for thinking that their construction jobs are jack shit.

4,844 thank yous

Pipeline_Construction-640x426-900x450.jpg

Construction of the Gulf Coast Pipeline Project required:

• US$2.3 billion in private-sector investment
  • Six modern pump stations
  • More than 11 million hours of labor completed by 4,844 workers in the United States of America – heavy equipment operators, welders, laborers, transportation operators and supervisory personnel (including environment, safety and quality control inspectors)
  • More than 50 contracts with U.S. manufacturers and companies building the pipeline and equipment in locations that include: Arkansas, California, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Texas
  • The manufacturing of more than 485 miles of high-strength, advanced oil pipeline (36-inch diameter); hundreds of large valves; thousands of fittings; thousands of pieces of equipment used to build transformers, meters, electric motors, cabling and electrical equipment; and piping assembling and structural steel for supports
  • About 2.25 million barrels of new oil storage capacity at Cushing, Oklahoma.
More at link. Now this is what you call a shovel ready freaking job.

4 844 thank you s Keystone XL Pipeline

FYI. The Keystone is finished. Up and running. Southern leg completed last year. The XL is only a secondary route that would pick up crude from the Bakkens.

The crude is coming as we post. Via the Keystone, rail and truck.

Gulf Coast Project begins delivering crude oil to Nederland, Texas
NEDERLAND, TEXAS — (Marketwired – Jan. 22, 2014) — TransCanada Corporation announced today that at approximately 10:45 a.m. CST on January, 22, 2014, the Gulf Coast Project began delivering crude oil on behalf of our customers to Texas refineries.

The completion of this US$2.3 billion crude oil pipeline provides a safe and direct connection between the important oil hub in Cushing, Oklahoma and delivery points on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

“This is a very important milestone for TransCanada, our shippers and Gulf Coast refiners who have been waiting for a pipeline to supply oil directly from Cushing,” said Russ Girling, president and chief executive officer.

“This project is a critical, modern piece of American energy infrastructure that allows producers to safely connect growing production with the world’s most efficient refiners on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

It also provides those American refineries the opportunity to use more of the crude oil produced in both Canada and the United States for decades to come.”

Construction of the 487-mile crude oil pipeline involved more than 11 million hours of labor completed by 4,844 workers in the United States of America, more than 50 contracts with manufacturers and companies building the pipeline and equipment from across the U.S. It also includes the addition of 2.25 million barrels of new oil storage capacity at Cushing, Oklahoma.

“The workers who helped build this project are in addition to 8,969 men and women who constructed the initial Keystone Pipeline system, and we are waiting for approval of Keystone XL so we can employ more than 9,000 more Americans who are waiting to put their skills and experience to work,” added Girling.

Gulf Coast Project begins delivering crude oil to Nederland Texas Keystone XL Pipeline

I've see this claim thrown around a lot as well, and I've never been able to find a decent source. What I have found is that about half of the refined product will likely be sold overseas. Which is not fantastic, but seems reasonable?

Fact Checking on Keystone XL and Exports - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
Thank you! Still haven't gotten my answer from what's-his-name.

We export about 2-1/2 million barrels/month of "Finished Petroleum Products".

U.S. Exports of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products

This nonsense about the KXL crudes being exported is bullshit.

This argument that all the oil from Alberta will be exported is so bogus.

One thing that has been sticking in my craw about this argument though is what other raw material that is used in the production of a product has anyone ever demanded that a finished product cannot be exported?

Gibson guitars imports wood for their factories. Has anyone ever demanded that those guitars can never be exported?

Thousands of US companies import raw material and produce a product. Are there any restrictions that forbid those companies from selling a finished product to any other country?

I haven't found any yet.

Of course the diluted bitumen will not be exported. That's why the line is ending at refineries instead of a port. . It's useless without refining. However the large majority of finished products will be exported.
Report Exporting Energy Security Keystone XL Exposed - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
Their new 75 million dollar dock, and their taking applications for dock workers should give you some hint of what their plans are.
New oil dock brings 75 million to Port Arthur - Beaumont Enterprise
Valero is a large refinery, and it's almost impossible to live near there, which I do, without knowing lots of refinery workers. The planned export increases are common knowledge.
We've been exporting about 2.5 million barrels/month of refined product for years. What is there to "expose"?

Why the hell do we export corn, beans, wheat, etc? Oh- let's keep all of our agricultural production here in the U.S. so we can drive down food prices! :lol: :slap:

The new docks are for the expected huge increase in product exports. Those refineries have been recently upgraded specifically to be able to handle Bitumen from Canada. The plan was always to refine it here, in a free trade zone (Valero refinery is a free trade zone, they don't have to pay taxes for any value increase from refining) and to ship it out to the world market. Anything from Canada will not be ours, and will do nothing but make a fortune for oil companies. Very few jobs no increase of gas available to us, and nothing for us but the liability of another line that might leak.

You really don't get it do you? Canada has been your number one supplier for a decade.

You use millions of barrels of canuck crude every day of your freaking lives in the US because you cannot produce enough of your own.

The bulk of crude from Alberta is used domestically. Fact.

The Keystone is finished Bulldog. From Alberta to the Gulf. Fact.

It is just a freaking pipeline. It also carries US crude. Fact.

XL is just the northern leg. A secondary line that would pick up crude from the Bakkens. Fact.

Geeze louise how hard is it to realize that this is all bullshit that is being put out there for a dog and pony show that makes no sense whatsoever.

What the Keystone can't handle is coming to the Gulf by rail. Warren Buffet is making a killing and even he backs the building of the Keystone. Interview on CNN. Fact.

Here ya go! The Keystone I, II, III are complete.

220px-Keystone-pipeline-route.png

And what doesn't come via the Keystone comes by rail and truck.
The crude is coming to the refineries. What's to argue about?

You're absolutely correct my friend

Keystone has a direct run from Alberta to the Gulf. It also carries US oil production.

The northern secondary route the XL will pick up from the Bakkens in North Dakota and Montana. And guess who is desperate for the pipeline?

Your domestic producers. They need to get their crude to market. Canada and the US are not in competition here idiot.

Canada is your number one supplier because you can't produce enough on your own. And has been your number one supplier for a freaking decade.

And bloody well stop with the bullshit about only 35 permanent jobs. That's the lamest piece of garbage argument against building anything.

And by the way these guys would tell you you are a fucking asshole for thinking that their construction jobs are jack shit.

4,844 thank yous

• More than 11 million hours of labor completed by 4,844 workers in the United States of America – heavy equipment operators, welders, laborers, transportation operators and supervisory personnel (including environment, safety and quality control inspectors)
  • More than 50 contracts with U.S. manufacturers and companies building the pipeline and equipment in locations that include: Arkansas, California, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Texas
  • The manufacturing of more than 485 miles of high-strength, advanced oil pipeline (36-inch diameter); hundreds of large valves; thousands of fittings; thousands of pieces of equipment used to build transformers, meters, electric motors, cabling and electrical equipment; and piping assembling and structural steel for supports

Conservatives loving make-work projects. Goddam.

Cats chasing dogs.

4,844 thank yous

Cats chasing dogs.
Which is a bigger risk? Can you figure this out?
1 million barrels traveling one mile on the ocean in an area known for "winter hurricanes" OR
700 barrels traveling one mile on LAND?

4,844 thank yous

Cats chasing dogs.

This public policy initiative can't be any worse than a war on any abstraction such as crime, drugs, poverty, or terror; the point is that the general welfare is not the Individual welfare for the wealthiest, either, if it is not for the least wealthy, as well.

If I remember right didn't the op have another thread awhile back wanting unemployment benefits extended yet again?

I'm gonna make a prediction here. By the next election he will have had an awakening & be telling us all why voting conservative is wrong.

Seems to be a trend on here

Thread recap-

nominal benefits, if any at all

potentially disastrous downside given predictable spills and the increase in C02 production due to requiring more energy use to extract usable material from the sand.

Thread recap-

nominal benefits, if any at all

potentially disastrous downside given predictable spills and the increase in C02 production due to requiring more energy use to extract usable material from the sand.
So you have NO problem with Canada shipping 1 million barrels a day in a tanker in an ocean that well here let the experts explain!!!
Remember the Exxon Valez 1989???

Unimak Pass is about 800 miles southwest of Anchorage.
David Mosley, public affairs specialist for the U.S. Coast Guard in Alaska, says that the thousands of ships that already navigate its waters each year
face "winter hurricanes" with 40-foot seas and 100-knot winds that appear with little advanced notice.

Large ships must ride out the storms in sheltered coves in the Aleutians.

In a typical year, at least one ship gets into trouble.
"A vessel will have some sort of mechanical or physical issue that then puts them at the mercy of the weather and the waves."
The Environmental Dangers of em Not em Building Keystone XL - Popular Mechanics
So you have NO problem with THIS potential oil spill of 365 million barrels...
While in the entire USA in 2013 there was a total of:
REALITY FACTS!!!~
Between 2008 and 2012, U.S. pipelines spilled an average of more than 3.1 million gallons of hazardous liquids per year, according to data from the Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, the nation's pipeline regulator. Those spills -- most commonly caused by corrosion and equipment failure -- caused at least $1.5 billion in property damage altogether.
at 42 gallons per barrel this is: less then 73,000 barrels spilled per year from these pipelines that already traverse the USA!
Geez you idiots can't even use the internet why are you GUESSING about the "Downside" CRAP!!!
185,000 miles and you idiots are concerned about 73,000 barrels carried by 185,000 miles of pipeline BUT you don't comprehend that
1 million barrels a DAY will be going through the area "winter hurricanes" are normal and YOU don't care???
185000pipelines.png

4,844 thank yous

Cats chasing dogs.[/QUO

this is a private project

From my understanding is that the keystone pipeline is solely about helping Canada get to the gulf and ship oil out the US and has nothing to do with: 1. Getting the US more oil (like many like myself were led to believe) and 2. Not about producing and sending any of our oil anywhere.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but other than the over inflated (yes the right lies about the number of jobs that are created, just like the left does) temporary jobs, what is the big benefit to the US that we continue fight back and forth over.

If it truly was about getting more Canadian oil to the stated, then I am for it. It should more forward, but if it's solely about getting Canadian oil to the gulf, then I have no idea why (other then generous kickbacks), whey the Republicans are pushing for this so hard!

keystone-pipeline-map-167.jpg

Adding to our pipeline network will also help our fracked oil get to market, without using more dangerous train cars or trucks.
It will cost thousands of jobs from truck drivers to the supporting industries. And the mess from burst pipelines will devastate drinking water and farmlands. And all for a measly 35 permanent jobs.

Forum List

Back