Kid who put noose on statue of black man gets 6 months in prison

Pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of using a threat of force.

Was probably a plea deal.
Imagine the sentence if he'd pleaded not guilty and went to trial....

If this judge was involved and the verdict was guilty, it's no telling. Maybe a life sentence.

. Sticking a noose around a black statue could enrage a lot of people in a situation that, presently, is a little bit of a tinder box. It could have potentially caused a lot of problems. Definitely not protected by the 1st Amendment.

You can say that about nearly everything. THINK

What these asswipes did was despicable, but 6 months in prison ?!!

What this judge has done should concern Americans much more than what these hooligans did.

The judge stopped a future act of violence

So we punish people now for an act they may commit in the future ?

We kill people for it...and people say nothing...now you want them to say something once it follows the natural progression of Authority worship?

I think that is going a little too far! Now, liberals, you are always talking about how you want to DECREASE the prison population, but you are applauding this silly move? Six months in prison? Outrageous! At most, it should have been considered perhaps a "vandalism" charge, IMO.

I think that is going a little too far! Now, liberals, you are always talking about how you want to DECREASE the prison population, but you are applauding this silly move? Six months in prison? Outrageous! At most, it should have been considered perhaps a "vandalism" charge, IMO.

I'm not applauding it its just the Authoritarians chickens coming home to roost. Now that it happened to THEM over something now THEY disagree with NOW they are saying its unfair. Sorry, you paved this road by your police / justice worship. Your bad

I'm not applauding it its just the Authoritarians chickens coming home to roost. Now that it happened to THEM over something now THEY disagree with NOW they are saying its unfair. Sorry, you paved this road by your police / justice worship. Your bad

:cuckoo:

:cuckoo:

See? He cant even respond :rofl:

Might have been found not guilty. Everyone knows this should not be a crime. This is like having a political bumper sticker on your car. So it offends some idiot.

Burning a flag is free speech so why isn't this?

Former Student Who Put Noose on Ole Miss Statue of James Meredith Get 6 Months in Prison

sep 20 2015 A former University of Mississippi student who admitted helping place a noose on a statue of a civil rights activist is going to prison.

WTVA-TV (WTVA.com | Jail time in James Meredith statue desecration) reports a federal judge sentenced Graeme Phillip Harris to six months in prison beginning Jan. 4. During the Thursday hearing in Oxford, he also ordered Harris to serve 12 months' supervised release. Harris' lawyer argued he didn't deserve jail time.

Harris pleaded guilty in June to a misdemeanor charge of using a threat of force to intimidate African-American students and employees

Well, if you shout "fire" in a crowded theater you are not protected by the 1st Amendment. You're potentially causing harm. Sticking a noose around a black statue could enrage a lot of people in a situation that, presently, is a little bit of a tinder box. It could have potentially caused a lot of problems. Definitely not protected by the 1st Amendment.
What deadly panic was started by seeing a rope around a statue?

Stop lying, Leftists!

Well I don't know what happened. What COULD happen is that someone takes massive offense and then causes a riot. Things like this.

Former Student Who Put Noose on Ole Miss Statue of James Meredith Get 6 Months in Prison

sep 20 2015 A former University of Mississippi student who admitted helping place a noose on a statue of a civil rights activist is going to prison.

WTVA-TV (WTVA.com | Jail time in James Meredith statue desecration) reports a federal judge sentenced Graeme Phillip Harris to six months in prison beginning Jan. 4. During the Thursday hearing in Oxford, he also ordered Harris to serve 12 months' supervised release. Harris' lawyer argued he didn't deserve jail time.

Harris pleaded guilty in June to a misdemeanor charge of using a threat of force to intimidate African-American students and employees

Well, if you shout "fire" in a crowded theater you are not protected by the 1st Amendment. You're potentially causing harm. Sticking a noose around a black statue could enrage a lot of people in a situation that, presently, is a little bit of a tinder box. It could have potentially caused a lot of problems. Definitely not protected by the 1st Amendment.

Stop lying, Leftists!

Well I don't know what happened. What COULD happen is that someone takes massive offense and then causes a riot. Things like this.
Orwell's thought police would love to have you

Stop lying, Leftists!

Orwell's thought police would love to have you

It's not thought police at all. You can THINK what you like, you just can't ACT on those thoughts.

The point being that freedom of speech is LIMITED, always has been and always will be.

Do you think someone should be able to put other people's lives in danger?

I mean, they have laws against treason, if you speak out and people get killed, like CIA or US Soldiers for example, then you can be guilty of saying something that caused problems.

Now, imagine, someone puts a noose around the neck of a statue of a black man, black people riot and someone gets killed in the riot. The person who put the noose around the neck is guilty of committing a crime. Forget free speech, a crime has been committed. Sure, the person who committed the killing would also be guilty, but so too would the person who started it all.

It's simple, it's been a part of US law for a long, long time.

Stop lying, Leftists!

Yes. Let's start throwing people in prison because of what their exercise in free speech MIGHT cause. Everyone who draws pictures of Muhammed (piss be upon him) be warned! Offensive speech is now prohibited by law.

I'm bad? Are you an idiot?

Forum List

Back