Lakerland

Very true, theres not alot of good big men in todays game though. Rik Smits would be a top 5 center if he played today. Guys like Joakin Noah and Omar Asik who are starting now would be riding the bench in the 90s and maybe get 10, 15 minutes a game.

Very true, theres not alot of good big men in todays game though. Rik Smits would be a top 5 center if he played today. Guys like Joakin Noah and Omar Asik who are starting now would be riding the bench in the 90s and maybe get 10, 15 minutes a game.
And that's what frustrates me about Howard....A dude that big, with that body, with his obvious skills, should be dominating every damn game.....But now, with Kobe out, we'll see what he's truly made of.

And that's what frustrates me about Howard....A dude that big, with that body, with his obvious skills, should be dominating every damn game.....But now, with Kobe out, we'll see what he's truly made of.

Shaq is right, Howard needs to average at least 28 points and 10 rebounds a game. The only person stopping him is himself.

What's so confusing? Have you ever watched a game where those guys played? I've seen one Chamberlain game (Game 7 of the 1973 finals).

I haven't but I assume there must be tapes of those guys when they played in their primes.

Game footage of the 60's and early 70's is pretty rare. Footage of games in their entirety is almost impossible to find. Unless you grew up watching the NBA in that era, all you have is stats and limited amount of highlights to be able to judge players like that. Don't believe me, try finding some games from that era on DVD.

Last edited:
Definitely. As an aside though; Baylor is possibly most over-rated player in NBA history after Jordan, Wade, Chamberlain, and Robertson.

How old are you? You do realize there's hardly any tape on Chamberlain, Robertson, and Baylor, right?
Thing is, all of them could step in, in todays game, and still dominate.....Particularly Chamberlain, who with todays training methods, would probably put on 20-30 lbs of more muscle, and absolutely tear it up.

And, if you notice, most of the players on his "over-rated" list, were/are Celtic killers.

It's the same as if I came out and stated Larry Bird or Clyde "The Glide" were over-rated, because they played so well against the Lakers, and any other team they faced.

Like I said, Laker haters are funny.

None of those guys are Celtic killers. In fact, the Celts pretty much rolled all of them. Probably the closest thing I know to a Celtic Killer would be David Stern, 90's Celtic Management and then Worthy in that order.

And I don't think Wothy's over-rated. I think he deserved his designation as a top 50 player, but people don't seem to over-hype him either.

And there's actually plenty of footage of old games online.

Robertson and Baylor were allowed to ball hog to the detriment of their teams and there numbers are inflated in some years.

Baylor got a lot of boards against undersize slower competition in an era in which rebounds were up. If he played today and shot the way he did, he might be 22-6 and get some all-star games. But nobody would be stating that he was dominating the league.

Robertson was actually a specimen and would likely be a top 5 PG in any era. But when you consider a lot of people consider him the greatest player of all-time and I don't buy that at all; then yes he is very over-rated.

Chamberlain would be an all-star in any era. He would be a 25-10 guy. He's no better than say a a Patrick Ewing and I'd take Olajuwon over him.

I would consider Danny Ainge a Celtic killer for the Perkins trade, letting go of Tony Allen and other key pieces and designing this current team that is lacking so many pieces, including size. Joey Crawford is a Celtics killer as well.

Mmm. A lot of media and Laker fans put him top 20 all-time. For me, that's over-rated. And I think many fans in general have bought the hype and that's why he's currently 36 ahead of forwards like Dominique Wilkins, Chris Webber, Dirk Nowitzky, Paul Pierce, James Worthy, (Tracy McGrady), Adrian Dantley, Carmelo Anthony.

The over-raters point to Baylor's 13.5 rebound average. Frankly, there were just more bricks and rebounds were up back then. Chamberlain was at 22.9 and Russell was at 22.5.

Mmm. A lot of media and Laker fans put him top 20 all-time. For me, that's over-rated. And I think many fans in general have bought the hype and that's why he's currently 36 ahead of forwards like Dominique Wilkins, Chris Webber, Dirk Nowitzky, Paul Pierce, James Worthy, (Tracy McGrady), Adrian Dantley, Carmelo Anthony.

The over-raters point to Baylor's 13.5 rebound average. Frankly, there were just more bricks and rebounds were up back then. Chamberlain was at 22.9 and Russell was at 22.5.
I suppose his 27 points a game for a career didn't matter?

BTW, you didn't hear Auerbach saying in the video Baylor was one of the top 3 forwards of all-time?

I suppose his 27 points a game for a career didn't matter?

BTW, you didn't hear Auerbach saying in the video Baylor was one of the top 3 forwards of all-time?

Yes, I did. He cited Bird, Baylor, and Barry. It made me laugh that they're all three B's.

As to the stats: Frankly, if I went solely by face value stats I could argue that DeMarcus Cousins how good DeMarcus Cousins 19, 10 is one of the top ten players in the NBA right now. Frankly, I wouldn't even want him on my team though. I consider him a negative value. On that note, I don't believe that Baylor had a great effect on team chemistry either.

Yes, I did. He cited Bird, Baylor, and Barry. It made me laugh that they're all three B's.

As to the stats: Frankly, if I went solely by face value stats I could argue that DeMarcus Cousins how good DeMarcus Cousins 19, 10 is one of the top ten players in the NBA right now. Frankly, I wouldn't even want him on my team though. I consider him a negative value. On that note, I don't believe that Baylor had a great effect on team chemistry either.
I remember Rick Barry. He was a freak from the outside! He was a better pure shooter than Bird and the absolute best free throw shooter in NBA history.

I remember Rick Barry. He was a freak from the outside! He was a better pure shooter than Bird and the absolute best free throw shooter in NBA history.

Yea. I remember when Bird hit those 71 in a row and we were all sure he'd break Calvin Murphy's 78 straight FT's and then he clanked one. I think he made another 20 or 25 in a row after that but it didn't matter. Bird only shot .886 but he did that while playing heavy minutes and while coming into his career with the severed finger; so the first five years he wasn't there yet. His first couple years, he actually shot from about a foot behind the line because he hadn't readjusted yet and he had lost some of his finesse. But Bird did shoot roughly 92 percent from the line for his final six years. He looked automatic by then. I was always surprised when he missed. I think he missed when he daydreamed or something :lol:

West, Barry, Bird - these great shooters. I wish they had played in HD. I don't think the camera caught all the magic.

Yea. I remember when Bird hit those 71 in a row and we were all sure he'd break Calvin Murphy's 78 straight FT's and then he clanked one. I think he made another 20 or 25 in a row after that but it didn't matter. Bird only shot .886 but he did that while playing heavy minutes and while coming into his career with the severed finger; so the first five years he wasn't there yet. His first couple years, he actually shot from about a foot behind the line because he hadn't readjusted yet and he had lost some of his finesse. But Bird did shoot roughly 92 percent from the line for his final six years. He looked automatic by then. I was always surprised when he missed. I think he missed when he daydreamed or something :lol:

West, Barry, Bird - these great shooters. I wish they had played in HD. I don't think the camera caught all the magic.
Barry was .91% from the line for his entire career.

Forum List

Back