Last decade is snowiest on record!!!

How Much More Rain Will Global Warming Bring

How Much More Rain Will Global Warming Bring?

1. Frank J. Wentz*,
  2. Lucrezia Ricciardulli,
  3. Kyle Hilburn,
  4. Carl Mears
+Author Affiliations

1. * To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: [email protected]
Climate models and satellite observations both indicate that the total amount of water in the atmosphere will increase at a rate of 7% per kelvin of surface warming. However, the climate models predict that global precipitation will increase at a much slower rate of 1 to 3% per kelvin. A recent analysis of satellite observations does not support this prediction of a muted response of precipitation to global warming. Rather, the observations suggest that precipitation and total atmospheric water have increased at about the same rate over the past two decades.

There are a lot of papers on the increase in the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere due to AGW.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

WATER VAPOR FEEDBACK AND GLOBAL WARMING1
Annual Review of Energy and the Environment

Vol. 25: 441-475 (Volume publication date November 2000)
DOI: 10.1146/annurev.energy.25.1.441
Isaac M. Held and Brian J. Soden
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Princeton, New Jersey 08542

Water vapor is the dominant greenhouse gas, the most important gaseous source of infrared opacity in the atmosphere. As the concentrations of other greenhouse gases, particularly carbon dioxide, increase because of human activity, it is centrally important to predict how the water vapor distribution will be affected. To the extent that water vapor concentrations increase in a warmer world, the climatic effects of the other greenhouse gases will be amplified. Models of the Earth's climate indicate that this is an important positive feedback that increases the sensitivity of surface temperatures to carbon dioxide by nearly a factor of two when considered in isolation from other feedbacks, and possibly by as much as a factor of three or more when interactions with other feedbacks are considered. Critics of this consensus have attempted to provide reasons why modeling results are overestimating the strength of this feedback.

Our uncertainty concerning climate sensitivity is disturbing. The range most often quoted for the equilibrium global mean surface temperature response to a doubling of CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere is 1.5°C to 4.5°C. If the Earth lies near the upper bound of this sensitivity range, climate changes in the twenty-first century will be profound. The range in sensitivity is primarily due to differing assumptions about how the Earth's cloud distribution is maintained; all the models on which these estimates are based possess strong water vapor feedback. If this feedback is, in fact, substantially weaker than predicted in current models, sensitivities in the upper half of this range would be much less likely, a conclusion that would clearly have important policy implications. In this review, we describe the background behind the prevailing view on water vapor feedback and some of the arguments raised by its critics, and attempt to explain why these arguments have not modified the consensus within the climate research community.

Providing real reasearch by real scientists, and links to the papers, is something Pattycake and the rest of the nut jobs are loathe to do.

When did they start stating that? Show me a link!
I am wrong, my apologies. Both more and heavier precipitation has been predicted.

Does record snowfall disprove global warming?

Record snowfall

As climate warms, evaporation from the ocean increases. This results in more water vapour in the air. Globally, atmospheric water vapour has increased by about 5% over the 20th century. Most of the increase has occurred since 1970 (IPCC AR4 3.4.2.1). This is confirmed by satellites that find the total atmospheric moisture content has been increasing since measurements began in 1988 (Santer 2007).

The extra moisture in the air is expected to produce more precipitation, including more extreme precipitation events. Observations bear this out. A study of precipitation trends over the United States found that heavy precipitation events (over 50mm in a day) have increased 20% over the 20th Century (Groisman 2004). Most of this increase occured after 1970. Various analyses of precipitation over the globe have similarly found a widespread increase in heavy precipitation days since 1950 (Alexander 2006, Groisman 2006).

Snowstorms can occur if temperatures are in the range of -10°C to 0°C. Global warming decreases the likeliness of snowstorm conditions in warmer, southern regions. However, in northern, colder regions, temperatures are often too cold for very heavy snow so warming can bring more favourable snowstorm conditions (Kunkel 2008). This is borne out in observations. Over the last century, there has been a downward trend in snowstorms across the lower Midwest, South and West Coast. Conversely, there's been an increase in snowstorms in the upper Midwest East, and Northeast with the overall national trend also upwards (Changnon 2006).

You said there were no such claims. I proved there were, and they were abundant.
Yeah? Where did I say that?

As for abundant: one scientist repeated twice saying snow would be rare in a few years, another scientist forecasting reduced snow in twenty years, a third saying if certain temperatures were attained snow would be rare and a fourth scientist measuring reduced snow at the moment. Two irrelevant links.

That is not all the gurus saying we had seen the last of snow in Britain and most of America, which was the claim. The claim is unproven, not to mention false. There, I've said it now.

The fact that I posted 5 quotes doesn't mean that's all there were. Furthermore, your splitting hairs. They were all forecasting a vast reduction in snowfall. Now they are claiming global warming causes snowfall to increase. They' re speaking out of both sides of their mouths, which is one way we know the whole AGW thing is a scam.
You dumb fuck, Pattycake, you cannot differentiate between snowfall events and snow cover. Snow fall events are increasing, as they are precipitation events. Snow cover, the amount of time and amount of square miles covered in snow, is decreasing.
SOTC Northern Hemisphere Snow National Snow and Ice Data Center

derksen_brown_fig2.png
June snow cover and September sea ice extents: This graph shows sea ice and snow cover extents for the Northern Hemisphere from 1979 to 2012. The thick lines are 5-year running means. Note that the snow cover extent is for June (red) while the sea ice extent is for September (gray). Although both experienced overall declines, June snow cover decline exceeded September sea ice decline. Image adapted from Derksen and Brown 2012.

When did they start stating that? Show me a link!
I am wrong, my apologies. Both more and heavier precipitation has been predicted.

Does record snowfall disprove global warming?

Record snowfall

As climate warms, evaporation from the ocean increases. This results in more water vapour in the air. Globally, atmospheric water vapour has increased by about 5% over the 20th century. Most of the increase has occurred since 1970 (IPCC AR4 3.4.2.1). This is confirmed by satellites that find the total atmospheric moisture content has been increasing since measurements began in 1988 (Santer 2007).

The extra moisture in the air is expected to produce more precipitation, including more extreme precipitation events. Observations bear this out. A study of precipitation trends over the United States found that heavy precipitation events (over 50mm in a day) have increased 20% over the 20th Century (Groisman 2004). Most of this increase occured after 1970. Various analyses of precipitation over the globe have similarly found a widespread increase in heavy precipitation days since 1950 (Alexander 2006, Groisman 2006).

Snowstorms can occur if temperatures are in the range of -10°C to 0°C. Global warming decreases the likeliness of snowstorm conditions in warmer, southern regions. However, in northern, colder regions, temperatures are often too cold for very heavy snow so warming can bring more favourable snowstorm conditions (Kunkel 2008). This is borne out in observations. Over the last century, there has been a downward trend in snowstorms across the lower Midwest, South and West Coast. Conversely, there's been an increase in snowstorms in the upper Midwest East, and Northeast with the overall national trend also upwards (Changnon 2006).

As well as less and lighter precip. Funny how the global warmers always take both sides of an argument. Then, they claim "well, it will behave differently in different areas". Which sounds logical, but how then is that any different from what is already occurring?

That's the problem when you trot out a non testable hypothesis. You rapidly paint yourself into a corner....

I find this line hilarious for instance.....

"The decreased mean precipitation, on the other hand, is associated with less frequency for almost every rain events, except for very heavy and light rain events.
http://www.ntnu.edu.tw/acad/rep/r99/f990004-1.pdf

And you call this science!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

No, I call it cherry picking, a denier specialty.

The increased mean precipitation is usually associated with more frequency for heavy rain events and less frequency for light rain events. The decreased mean precipitation, on the other hand, is associated with less frequency for almost every rain events, except for very heavy and light rain events.

When mean precipitation increases, precipitation intensity is enhanced in every rain event.When mean precipitation decreases, precipitation intensity is reduced in almost every rain event except for very heavy rain events.

Umm, winning what?

Uh oh, I just realized. You don't know where rain and snow comes from. The hotter the ocean gets, the more rain and snow because there is more more moisture in the atmosphere due to evaporation.

Simple_Water_Cycle.JPG

Now you are in a quandary. If you admit you know that more heat makes more snow, then you admit the planet is heating up. If you say evaporation is a wild liberal theory, you look stupid. Either way, you don't look very bright.

Mankind is NOT winning. As the man-made global warming is changing our climate.

Climate Change = longer, harsher winters and summers. Shorter spring and fall. Extreme and unprecedented weather events.
Please Prove it is not normal or cyclical... The earths systems (empirical evidence)say it is, the alarmists say it isn't...

Hmmmmmmm YOU LOSE!

No, I call it cherry picking, a denier specialty.

The increased mean precipitation is usually associated with more frequency for heavy rain events and less frequency for light rain events. The decreased mean precipitation, on the other hand, is associated with less frequency for almost every rain events, except for very heavy and light rain events.

When mean precipitation increases, precipitation intensity is enhanced in every rain event.When mean precipitation decreases, precipitation intensity is reduced in almost every rain event except for very heavy rain events.

Unfortunately for you it is from an AGW scientist! So yes, they and you, are all anti science deniers!

Unfortunately for you it is from an AGW scientist! So yes, they and you, are all anti science deniers!
You're the one cherry picking an explanation of the changes in intensity and frequency of regional tropical precipitation under global warming by taking one condition in isolation.

If you really think that's a smart scientific thing to do I'd wager you're in the petroleum industry.

3. A ha! Just as predicted by our 100% Accurate Retroactive Model, DENIER!!!
So what do you reckon, Frank, is specific humidity in the lower atmosphere increasing or not?

What difference does it make? What is on the Weather Channel, is caused by Manmade Global Warming.

Floods, fires, earthquakes, wind storms on Neptune, pick an event and it's tied directly to a wisp, a trace of CO2

You're the one cherry picking an explanation of the changes in intensity and frequency of regional tropical precipitation under global warming by taking one condition in isolation.

If you really think that's a smart scientific thing to do I'd wager you're in the petroleum industry.

Ummm, no. That's what they did. Not me. You see dear child, when you try and have a thing be responsible for all things, you eventually paint yourself into a corner.

Forum List

Back