Lawmakers DESTROY thousands of low education jobs for the poor

• Banned
Snip:

Legislation that is supposed to pass on Wednesday requires big box stores like Walmart to start employee salaries at $12.50 – well above the District’s $8.25 minimum wage.Because of this, Walmart executives are considering pulling the plug on beginning construction on sites at Capitol Gateway, Skyland Town Center, and the intersection of New York Ave. and Bladensburg.Unfortunately, pulling the plug on these locations allegedly means pulling the plug on approximately 900 jobs as well.Read more:*Walmart may cancel three planned D.C. stores over livable wage act | WJLA.com us:*@ABC7News on Twitter*|*WJLATV on Facebook

It's not about the economy or having lower prices available to poorer people or having more jobs in certain areas, it's about making a statement.

Politicians know what is "fair" and they know precisely what a "living wage" is, regardless of whether an employee is a teenager or a family bread-winner.

You'd better start toeing the line, pal.

Walmart might have accepted it IF all unionized stores don't have the pay the "super" livable wage. This law was so narrowly crafted that it applies to WalMart and no other store.

Walmart may cancel three planned D.C. stores over livable wage act | WJLA.com

Untold jobs are being lost because of stupid liberal policies like these. Wonder why jobs are so slow to return? Wonder no more, an example is right here staring you in the face.

So what's better, a few hundred a month in welfare or a thousand+ in EARNED wages with the potential for growth?

It's been estimated that a Walmart store creates about 115 jobs while the independent stores it replaces required about 169 jobs. Fuck Walmart.

Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) no longer plans to build three stores in the nation’s capitol, after the city’s council voted to force large retailers to pay starting wages that are 50% higher than the minimum wage there.

“Nothing has changed from our perspective: we will not pursue Skyland, Capitol Gateway, and New York Avenue and will start to review the financial and legal implications on the three stores already under construction,” Walmart spokesman Steven Restivo said, referring to the locations of the planned stores.

“This was a difficult decision for us—and unfortunate news for most D.C. residents—but the Council has forced our hand.”

Read more: After Wage Vote, Walmart Scraps D.C. Store Plans | Fox Business

Cool.

I hope the mayor doesn't veto the measure.

I hope not either. The LAST thing DC needs is 1800 new jobs.

What DC doesn't need is a monster like WalMart that opens up in town, closes down the competing stores..and provides 1800 "jobs" lost from the places they closed down at lower wages and no benefits placing a greater burden on government resources.

Cool.

Yeah. So cool that poor people in DC who do not have convenient access to a grocery store are now going to be denied a Wal-Mart. So cool that people who would like to apply for the jobs will not have the opportunity to do so. So cool that our government is destroying job creation in the Worst Recovery Ever.

So Cool. So Cool. So Cool.

Stay tuned for Recovery Summer VI...coming to a city near you in 2014!

Cool.

What DC doesn't need is a monster like WalMart that opens up in town, closes down the competing stores..and provides 1800 "jobs" lost from the places they closed down at lower wages and no benefits placing a greater burden on government resources.

That is utter crap. In reality, a Wal-Mart adds 100 net new jobs in the communities surrounding a store.

Cool.

not to mention providing low cost goods to the poor neighborhoods who need them...

Libtards prefer that poor people pay triple the prices at independent retailers that are conveniently exempt from the new super livable wage, as are unionized stores. WalMart could avoid the wage if they would just become unionized.

i guess liberals not only believe in a progressive tax system......they also believe in a progressive wage system....

Stop paying people slave wages and this wouldn't be a problem...not like Wal Mart is hurting for money that they can't pay their employees a livable wage. My wife worked at 2 and it sucked.

Forum List

Back