Lessons of History and Trying To Avoid the Same Mistakes

https://twitter.com/MarkJacob16

With all the arguments over whether MAGA Republicans are fascists, I reread William Shirer’s “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” to see how much the rise of Hitler and the rise of MAGA smell similar. Conclusion: They do. This thread lists 10 ways. Please take a look.

1. A big lie about treachery is used to foment resentment. Nazis: We didn’t really lose World War I. It was a “stab in the back” by Jews and other "November criminals." MAGA: We didn’t really lose the 2020 election. It was a “steal” by politicians and Blacks in big cities.

2. There’s an obsession with purity of the culture. Nazis: “Racial mixture” was a threat to Aryan culture, Hitler wrote. MAGA: “Great replacement theory” says immigrants threaten white culture.

3. Chaos is something to be exploited, not addressed. Nazis: Economic distress is a great political opportunity. MAGA: Economic distress is a great political opportunity.

4. The super-rich bankroll the right-wing seizure of power. Nazis: Thanks to I.G. Farben, Deutsche Bank, Thyssen, Krupp, etc. MAGA: Thanks to the Mercers, Uihleins, DeVos, Thiel, etc.

5. Some people think the fascist threat is overblown. Nazis: While Hitler posed a major threat, some said he "ceased to be a political danger.” (2 weeks later, he was chancellor.) MAGA: While Trump poses a major threat, many people think it’s “just politics,” no worries.

6. There’s a cult of personality. Nazis: The German army made a pledge of loyalty to Hitler personally. MAGA: Trump’s supporters bill him as “the most moral president” in U.S. history.

7. Christianity is used to legitimize the movement. Nazis: “The party stands for positive Christianity.” MAGA: Trump is described as the “Chosen One” protecting American Christianity.

8. Books are the enemy. Nazis: Any book that “acts subversively on our future” must be burned. MAGA: “I think we should throw those books in a fire,” says a Virginia school board member.

9. An independent news media is the enemy. Nazis: Any newspaper that “offends the honor and dignity of Germany” must be banned. MAGA: The press is the “enemy of the people.”

10. Educators are pressured to be politically compliant. Nazis: Teachers took an oath to “be loyal and obedient to Adolf Hitler.” MAGA: Florida’s DeSantis accuses teachers of “indoctrination” and pressures them to avoid references to America’s racist history and LGBTQ people.

I'm not saying that MAGA will end up as horrifically as Nazism. I am saying that America 2022 feels too much like Germany 1932, and I don't want to take the risk of watching MAGA cultism play out. We have to stop it now.

Why did Twitter put a “sensitive” warning on this thread? Who knows? My only theory is that it has a “hateful symbol”—a swastika on the cover of Shirer’s book about Nazism.

Didnt disney fire Gina Carano for much less than THIS Nazi comparison? :laugh:

Is Obama ALSO a nazi for KNOWINGLY dining and taking pistures with the most famous anti semite in US history?

300px-Barack-Hussein-Obama-mit-Louis-Farrakhan-528x524.jpg

[ MAGA, still not understanding that covid vaccines save lives ]

[ More of the Best OF MAGA ]

QAnon leader Phil Godlewski, when he was a 25-year-old high school baseball coach, repeatedly had sex with a 15-year-old high school girl. In 2008, Godlewski had wormed his way into the girl’s (identified as B.D.) affections by consoling her as she grieved for her boyfriend, who had killed himself.

In 2010, the authorities arrested and charged him with various crimes stemming from his predatory behavior. After negotiating a plea bargain, Godlewski pled guilty to the corruption of a minor and the court sentenced him to three months of house arrest. (If that seems light, the reason will become apparent.)

In the years afterward, Godlewski discovered QAnon and its adherents. He soon realized he could roll those gullible rubes for profit. He started promoting the QAnon conspiracy with lengthy, live-stream, rambling videos that were nectar to his deluded fans.

He accumulated more than 600,000 followers on the social media app Telegram and 156,000 subscribers on the alternative video platform Rumble. Then, when he had hooked the gullible, Godlewski convinced them to sign up for financial ‘opportunities’ like a multilevel marketing scheme selling silver. By 2022, Godlewski had finagled enough cash to buy a $1.7 million house.

Godlewski’s arrest disappeared from public view until 2021 when a reporter at the Scranton Times-Tribune wrote a profile on the upstart QAnon promoter. In it, he mentioned Godlewski's conviction. And his online critics seized on his criminal history to suggest he was not the upstanding QAnon believer (oxymoron?) he claims to be.

Godlewski decided to fight back against the newspaper with a defamation lawsuit. It was a monumental error. Had Godlewski consulted a crisis management firm, they would have undoubtedly advised him to say something like, “I have made mistakes I deeply regret. But my relationship with God has saved me. I owe it all to Jesus.” His sales would have doubled.

Instead, he pursued the Trumpian approach of fighting back. He sued the paper, assuring his followers that the reporter had “taken the bait.” In live-stream videos, Godlewski insisted there was nothing to the investigation, claiming B.D.’s mother was behind the criminal case because she wanted his money and calling his victim a “conniving” schemer who faked the texts he sent. He raised more than $26,000 in a crowdfunding campaign to pay for his lawsuit.

However, because he was now party to a lawsuit claiming the paper had damaged his reputation, the Times-Tribune was legally entitled to see the evidence and police reports from his 2010 case. And now they are a matter of public record.

Included are dirty texts and a video of his erection. And more information from the police. This revealed that Godlewski had showered B.D. with gifts, including a $2,800 pair of diamond earrings — confirmed by a letter from her parents filed into the defamation record.

Then there are tons of texts — including 300 in one day alone. Here is a sampling,

(full article online)

“MAGA,” as we’ve already pointed out, is an acronym for: Make America Great Again. This begs the question: what’s wrong with America? Given the demography of the movement, we suspect “making America great again” has something to do with returning to the racist, sexist, nativist times in the past, prior to the civil rights movement, the women’s movement, and the Hart-Celler Immigration Act of 1965. If this is true, we should see this reflected in the data, and we do. We begin with the topic of racism, using questions that capture what is commonly referred to as racial resentment. We employ five items, using an agree/disagree format. When asked whether or not “slavery and discrimination makes it difficult for Blacks to work their way up,” better than 90 percent of movement supporters disagree. Likewise, when queried on whether or not Blacks have received less than they deserve, roughly 90 percent, again, disagree. However, when asked whether or not “Blacks would be as well off as Whites if they tried,” if “Most Blacks on welfare could get a job if they tried,” and whether “Blacks should work their way up like other minorities,” no fewer than roughly 75 percent of movement supporters agree. (Again, comparable data from 2020 is not yet available. Given the increased salience of race in 2020, relative to election cycles of the past, we don’t think it appropriate to use data from even 2016.)

Does such antipathy extend to immigrants and women? Yes, it does. Beginning with immigrants, nativism runs fairly strong within the movement. Roughly 85 percent of respondents believe that “Immigration is changing the culture for the worse,” and believe that “Immigrants refuse to abide by our laws.” However, when it comes to whether or not the “Economy is strengthened by the hard work or Latino immigrants,” roughly 60 percent agree. We suspect the results for the third question are influenced by stereotypes of Latino immigrants as landscapers and domestics, that is, in subordinate, less-threatening roles. While the results are less dramatic when it comes to sexism, they remain robust. Consider the four questions we used to assess sexism: (1) Women interpret innocent remarks as sexist; (2) Women are seeking special favors; (3) Feminists make unreasonable demands of men; and (4) Feminists are seeking more power than men. Of these questions, only once does fewer than 75 percent of movement supporters fail to agree. On the one occasion that it does, it’s when 62 percent agree with the claim that women tend to interpret “innocent” remarks as sexist.

Try reading the news everyday.

Forum List

Back