let us do away with olympics!

just a waste of money!

Well, if people choose to waste their money on it, then fine. Their problem.

The US, China, Russia, the UK etc spend loads training athletes in order to show their people how great their country is, it's stupid. A great country is one where people live well, not have random unknown people becoming prominent for a couple of weeks every 4 years.

The Commonwealth Games might have died, nobody wants to host it. The Olympics might just be China, South Korea and Japan hosting it in the future. The World Student Games medals table was China with 103 gold medals, Japan 21, South Korea with 17. Taiwan even got 10.

The US got 1 gold medal, the UK and Canada didn't even bother.

The previous edition in Naples in 2019 was Japan, Russia, China, the US and South Korea in the top 5.

Well, if people choose to waste their money on it, then fine. Their problem.

The US, China, Russia, the UK etc spend loads training athletes in order to show their people how great their country is,...

The US government doesn't spend federal money to train our Olympic athletes.

To me, sports are invaluable. In our divided nation/world, we have a dwindling number of things that bring us together. Sports can be one of them. To use someone else's commentary about the USWNT...its a campfire we can all gather around. Why anyone would want fewer of those is beyond me.

As for the Olympics themselves...the IOC is its own worst enemy in one huge way. What they need to do is acknowledge that there are only about 10-12 city/states that can legitimately host these games (on a scale they currently enjoy). Stop this ridiculous bidding process to where some politician is going to glorify themselves, build these stadiums that will be empty and sit unused after the Olympics leave town. Los Angeles in 1984 had the right idea. The practice fields for the soccer events were the same fields used by the USC and UCLA teams. The diving competitions were done as an improvement to the facilities at the universities; they didn't just build a new pool on a freeway because it would be easy to get to and because, gee, they had the money to do it. Paris is definitely one of those cities that can host having done so multiple times. The opening ceremony was a shit show though (at least the parts I saw of it). Hopefully it was better in person. NBC's coverage was almost television malpractice.

Can you put a stop to all of us having to pay billions for it?
Cities are in competition to host the Olympics because of the money brought in. Seems hosting the Olympics is far from an expense. It is a money-making event. If you oppose your city making that money, you should talk to your city government.

To me, sports are invaluable. In our divided nation/world, we have a dwindling number of things that bring us together. Sports can be one of them. To use someone else's commentary about the USWNT...its a campfire we can all gather around. Why anyone would want fewer of those is beyond me.

As for the Olympics themselves...the IOC is its own worst enemy in one huge way. What they need to do is acknowledge that there are only about 10-12 city/states that can legitimately host these games (on a scale they currently enjoy). Stop this ridiculous bidding process to where some politician is going to glorify themselves, build these stadiums that will be empty and sit unused after the Olympics leave town. Los Angeles in 1984 had the right idea. The practice fields for the soccer events were the same fields used by the USC and UCLA teams. The diving competitions were done as an improvement to the facilities at the universities; they didn't just build a new pool on a freeway because it would be easy to get to and because, gee, they had the money to do it. Paris is definitely one of those cities that can host having done so multiple times. The opening ceremony was a shit show though (at least the parts I saw of it). Hopefully it was better in person. NBC's coverage was almost television malpractice.
1722067065342.png

A lot is taxpayer money. Athens is probably still reeling from hosting the games.
$3 trillion was spent looking for WMDs that we knew didn`t exist and it was ALL taxpayer money. Just under 37% of the world`s military spending is done by a country with friendly neighbors north and south a large bodies of water east and west. We`re the United States of suckers.

Forum List

Back