Let’s stop asking Trump for comfort after tragedies

It’s just another way to bash Trump. Of course he can be comforting.

The media and the Dems have their narrative. It won’t change.

I don't really feel all that much comfort with Trump in office. And it is not because he is a publican or conservative. I didn't like Bush but I didn't feel like my life was possibly in danger.

Sorry about your feelings. The reality is different. Maybe buck up.

Fuck that. You buck up and face the reality that you like mediocrity and substandard performance. That's what you show me by your support of this sorry ass orange lump of fat that sits in the white house playing president.

I don't really feel all that much comfort with Trump in office. And it is not because he is a publican or conservative. I didn't like Bush but I didn't feel like my life was possibly in danger.

Fuck that. You buck up and face the reality that you like mediocrity and substandard performance. That's what you show me by your support of this sorry ass orange lump of fat that sits in the white house playing president.

Mediocre is Obama’s economy.

Run a better candidate in 2020.

Buck up buttercup.

Our nation is in a sorry state. So sorry that Ronald Reagans daughter wrote this article.

DavisP.jpeg%3Fts%3D1469648510665

By Patti Davis
October 28 at 9:02 PM

Patti Davis is the author, most recently, of the novel “The Earth Breaks in Colors” and the daughter of Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

When I was writing my book “The Long Goodbye,” a memoir about losing my father to Alzheimer’s, I spoke with veteran reporter Harry Smith about my father’s legacy. Harry was my neighbor when I lived in New York, and I had become friends with him and his family.

“Your father had a shoulder big enough for us to cry on,” he said. “Think about how he comforted this country in the Challenger disaster.”

“We know of your anguish,” my father said in that speech. “We share it.”

Ronald Reagan has not been the only president to offer comfort and solace to a grieving nation. Bill Clinton did after Columbine. George W. Bush did after 9/11. Barack Obama did after Sandy Hook. Each spoke eloquently, with somber compassion and with reverence for the pain of the victims and the shock of a saddened country. Our grief was reflected in their eyes. We didn’t doubt that their hearts were breaking along with ours.

That was then. Now, after a week of fear, with pipe bombs being sent to a list of people whom President Trump has said horrible things about, and to CNN, which he consistently targets, 11 Jewish citizens were slaughtered in their place of worship on the Sabbath. Trump’s response? He joked that he almost canceled an event because, after having to speak to reporters about the shooting in the rain, he was having “a bad hair day.” Yes, I know, he first read what was scripted for him and called the act “evil.” But he has also called Democrats, others who oppose him and the news media evil. The word doesn’t hold much meaning coming from him.

Where does a grieving nation turn for comfort when the man who occupies the White House offers none? Our hearts are hurting. Places of worship are meant to be sanctuaries, not slaughterhouses. America is not supposed to be awash in fear. A friend told me that he doesn’t want to listen to the news anymore. He wants to be ignorant of what’s going on because the stress and the fear are too much to bear. I answered him that we’re all responsible now for tending to one another’s wounds, and if you stay blind to what those wounds are, you can’t help. Ignorance is not an option these days. This is a time for all of us to lead with the courage and compassion that is missing at the highest levels of our government.

In 1999, after Columbine, Clinton spoke about teaching our children “to resolve their conflicts with words, not weapons.”

After 9/11, Bush said, “America was targeted for attack because we’re the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining.”

In 2012, after Sandy Hook, Obama said, “all across this land of ours, we have wept with you. We’ve pulled our children tight.”

After the Challenger disaster, my father said, “We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.’ ”

After 11 worshippers were gunned down, massacred because they were Jewish, Trump said there should have been an armed guard inside. He said the death penalty should be toughened. And then, later, he made his joke about having a bad hair day and tweeted about a baseball game.

This president will never offer comfort, compassion or empathy to a grieving nation. It’s not in him. When questioned after a tragedy, he will always be glib and inappropriate. So I have a wild suggestion: Let’s stop asking him. His words are only salt in our wounds.

Let’s instead remember that the people in our daily lives are hurting too. Comfort comes in many forms, some of them small moments of kindness. Mother Teresa said, “We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something.”

Those words, and the words of past presidents, can guide us, inspire us, strengthen us when we’ve been driven to our knees.

Opinion | Let’s stop asking Trump for comfort after tragedies
1. Reagan was a shitty spending, amnisty-ass president who had the benefit of following the shittiest president EVAH.

2. It's the Commander-in-Chief, not the Therapist-in-Chief. We hire the guy to do a job, not be our minister.

Wrong. The shittiest president EVAH is the one we have now.

that's not divisive. In the case this comment refers to the police did act stupidly. They snatched a world reknown historian out of his own home.
I am not in the least surprised that you don't know the facts. You're not worth a response.

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. I know what I see.

Shitty presidents get nothing done or do nothing for the American people. Shittier presidents do things that seem deliberately calculated to weaken America just so the rest of the world can feel special.

I’ve always thought it was a little odd for people to look for comfort from their poltical leaders during such horrid events. I look to my family, friends, and neighbors as they are the folks that can actually help bring solace. Some may need or want that from that their politicians and that’s fine, but I don’t.

Buck up buttercup.

Buck up little sweet.

ALL RISE! CLASS INN SESSION!

What does this chart show?

Unemployment-rate-from-Obama-to-Trump.png

If you want to see truth, it shows that black unemployment was reduced by 9 points by Obama and was continuing to drop when Trump took office. So why is Trump getting credit for low black unemployment?

How Trump compares with Obama so far on jobs

Donald Trump's job record as president so far has been pretty good. It's just not as good as Barack Obama's.

Employers added 1,189,000 jobs in February through August, according to data released Friday.

That falls short of the 1,375,000 jobs created during Obama's last seven months.

That means Trump is trailing Obama by 186,000 jobs when you compare the end of one presidency to the start of another.

Here's another way to look at it: How is Trump faring on a straight year-over-year basis? He lags Obama there, too. There have been 1,189,000 jobs created under his watch so far, compared to 1,422,000 between February and August 2016.

Of course, Trump's seven-month record is far better than Obama's first seven months in office, when the economy lost 3.6 million jobs. That's because Obama was sworn in during the worst downturn since the Great Depression. The economy was hemorrhaging jobs.

By contrast, Obama handed Trump an economy that was close to what economists consider full employment. The unemployment rate on Inauguration Day was 4.8%, and it has fallen since then to 4.4%.

In fact, if Obama left a problem for Trump, it wasn't that the economy was too weak -- it was that the labor market was almost too strong. At full employment, businesses have an extremely difficult time finding available, qualified workers to fill job openings.

money.cnn.com/2017/09/01/news/economy/jobs-trump-vs-obama/index.html

If Obama left full employment for Trump why is Trump getting credit for full employment and turning around the economy?

Comparing the 'Trump economy’ to the ‘Obama economy’

Trump inherited low unemployment numbers from Obama. Since 2011, the unemployment rate has steadily declined from a high of 9.6 percent following the Great Recession. It was 4.8 percent in January, when Trump took the oath of office, and it was 4.1 percent in the December employment report. Below are the yearly averages since 2011.

[URL='https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/fe4Wr-wH_-0FWskAdvEG1mBRbrM=/665x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/Z4C2LXEO2Q7MTA5G5IG5JPXBLE.png']

If Obama reduced the national unemployment by rate by at least 4.8 percent, and unemployment was dropping when Trump took office, why are we giving credit to Trump for turning around an economy for a reduction of just 0.4 percent?

What President Trump Inherits

Candidate Donald Trump won the election claiming “our country is stagnant.” But President Trump actually inherits an economy experiencing steady if unspectacular growth in output, jobs and incomes.

The new president also inherits a mountain of national debt, large and growing federal deficits, 43 million Americans still mired in poverty and a rising murder rate.

These are some of the numbers by which the future successes or failures of the new presidency will be measured.

Jobs & Unemployment

Jobs — The economy has added nearly 2.2 million jobs in the most recent 12 months. It has gained jobs for 75 straight months – the longest streak on record.

President Barack Obama was not so fortunate. When he took office, the economy had already lost 4.4 million jobs in the preceding 12 months.

During Obama’s first 13 months, the economy continued to shed another 4.3 million jobs. But as Trump enters office, employers are eager to hire millions more. The number of job openings continues to hold at near record levels.

The most recent figures show that as of the last business day in November, there were more than 5.5 million unfilled job openings — double the number in the month Obama took office in 2009.

The highest ever recorded in the nearly 16 years the Bureau of Labor Statistics has tracked this figure was in April 2016, when job openings topped 5.8 million. The figure has now been above 5 million every month for 22 months in a row.

Unemployment — Obama also leaves Trump an unemployment rate that is well below the historical norm.

Currently it stands at 4.7 percent. In all the months since 1948 the median jobless rate was 5.6 percent.

Thus Trump has been dealt a far better hand than Obama, who took office when the jobless rate was 7.8 percent and rising. It hit a peak of 10 percent in October of Obama’s first year.

Income and Poverty

Income — Trump enters the White House at a time when incomes have begun to rebound after years of stagnation. In 2015 median household income jumped 5.2 percent — the largest one-year percentage increase since records began in 1967.

www.factcheck.org/2017/01/what-president-trump-inherits/

Why is Trump getting credit for things he has not done?

[/URL]

Buck up buttercup.

Buck up little sweet.

If you want to see truth, it shows that black unemployment was reduced by 9 points by Obama and was continuing to drop when Trump took office. So why is Trump getting credit for low black unemployment?

Donald Trump's job record as president so far has been pretty good. It's just not as good as Barack Obama's.

Employers added 1,189,000 jobs in February through August, according to data released Friday.

That falls short of the 1,375,000 jobs created during Obama's last seven months.

That means Trump is trailing Obama by 186,000 jobs when you compare the end of one presidency to the start of another.

Here's another way to look at it: How is Trump faring on a straight year-over-year basis? He lags Obama there, too. There have been 1,189,000 jobs created under his watch so far, compared to 1,422,000 between February and August 2016.

Of course, Trump's seven-month record is far better than Obama's first seven months in office, when the economy lost 3.6 million jobs. That's because Obama was sworn in during the worst downturn since the Great Depression. The economy was hemorrhaging jobs.

By contrast, Obama handed Trump an economy that was close to what economists consider full employment. The unemployment rate on Inauguration Day was 4.8%, and it has fallen since then to 4.4%.

In fact, if Obama left a problem for Trump, it wasn't that the economy was too weak -- it was that the labor market was almost too strong. At full employment, businesses have an extremely difficult time finding available, qualified workers to fill job openings.

If Obama left full employment for Trump why is Trump getting credit for full employment and turning around the economy?

Trump inherited low unemployment numbers from Obama. Since 2011, the unemployment rate has steadily declined from a high of 9.6 percent following the Great Recession. It was 4.8 percent in January, when Trump took the oath of office, and it was 4.1 percent in the December employment report. Below are the yearly averages since 2011.

If Obama reduced the national unemployment by rate by at least 4.8 percent, and unemployment was dropping when Trump took office, why are we giving credit to Trump for turning around an economy for a reduction of just 0.4 percent?

Candidate Donald Trump won the election claiming “our country is stagnant.” But President Trump actually inherits an economy experiencing steady if unspectacular growth in output, jobs and incomes.

The new president also inherits a mountain of national debt, large and growing federal deficits, 43 million Americans still mired in poverty and a rising murder rate.

These are some of the numbers by which the future successes or failures of the new presidency will be measured.

Jobs & Unemployment

Jobs — The economy has added nearly 2.2 million jobs in the most recent 12 months. It has gained jobs for 75 straight months – the longest streak on record.

President Barack Obama was not so fortunate. When he took office, the economy had already lost 4.4 million jobs in the preceding 12 months.

During Obama’s first 13 months, the economy continued to shed another 4.3 million jobs. But as Trump enters office, employers are eager to hire millions more. The number of job openings continues to hold at near record levels.

The most recent figures show that as of the last business day in November, there were more than 5.5 million unfilled job openings — double the number in the month Obama took office in 2009.

The highest ever recorded in the nearly 16 years the Bureau of Labor Statistics has tracked this figure was in April 2016, when job openings topped 5.8 million. The figure has now been above 5 million every month for 22 months in a row.

Unemployment — Obama also leaves Trump an unemployment rate that is well below the historical norm.

Currently it stands at 4.7 percent. In all the months since 1948 the median jobless rate was 5.6 percent.

Thus Trump has been dealt a far better hand than Obama, who took office when the jobless rate was 7.8 percent and rising. It hit a peak of 10 percent in October of Obama’s first year.

Income and Poverty

Income — Trump enters the White House at a time when incomes have begun to rebound after years of stagnation. In 2015 median household income jumped 5.2 percent — the largest one-year percentage increase since records began in 1967.

Good for Obama. He only increased the debt by $10 trillion.

Trump’s economy is built on a foundation, not borrowing and printing money.

I dont expect you to know the difference.

Orange man BAD!

We know, we know.

Shitty presidents get nothing done or do nothing for the American people. Shittier presidents do things that seem deliberately calculated to weaken America just so the rest of the world can feel special.

You are pissing on yourself thinking you are in the shower.

You are pissing on yourself thinking you are in the shower.

Run a better candidate and win back the White House.

Instead, Dimms are cvnts about losing.

Buck up buttercup.

Buck up little sweet.

Jobs & Unemployment

Income and Poverty

Orange man BAD!

We know, we know.

Ha! 1.27 trillion added to the debt this past FY, that is a shit ton of borrowed money!

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Oh your heart must be so broken. A few people that you never knew died. A day completely unlike any other. How will you make it out of the bed? Will I have to call the president to make it happen? He's kind of busy saving the nation from an invasion, but on the other hand, nothing is more important than your fee fees.

Buck up buttercup.

Buck up little sweet.

Jobs & Unemployment

Income and Poverty

Orange man BAD!

We know, we know.

We have really not gone into the Trump economy yet.. The foundation this economy was on, is Obamas. Obama was handed a dead economy and Trump was handed a healthy one with full employment. Under Trump unemployment reduced by .4 percent. Under Obama 5 full percentage points. Almost 6.

Obama did not borrow and print money for all 8 years. But because he did so we were spared from a depression. You apparently don't understand that.

Our nation is in a sorry state. So sorry that Ronald Reagans daughter wrote this article.

By Patti Davis

Patti Davis is the author, most recently, of the novel “The Earth Breaks in Colors” and the daughter of Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

When I was writing my book “The Long Goodbye,” a memoir about losing my father to Alzheimer’s, I spoke with veteran reporter Harry Smith about my father’s legacy. Harry was my neighbor when I lived in New York, and I had become friends with him and his family.

“Your father had a shoulder big enough for us to cry on,” he said. “Think about how he comforted this country in the Challenger disaster.”

Ronald Reagan has not been the only president to offer comfort and solace to a grieving nation. Bill Clinton did after Columbine. George W. Bush did after 9/11. Barack Obama did after Sandy Hook. Each spoke eloquently, with somber compassion and with reverence for the pain of the victims and the shock of a saddened country. Our grief was reflected in their eyes. We didn’t doubt that their hearts were breaking along with ours.

That was then. Now, after a week of fear, with pipe bombs being sent to a list of people whom President Trump has said horrible things about, and to CNN, which he consistently targets, 11 Jewish citizens were slaughtered in their place of worship on the Sabbath. Trump’s response? He joked that he almost canceled an event because, after having to speak to reporters about the shooting in the rain, he was having “a bad hair day.” Yes, I know, he first read what was scripted for him and called the act “evil.” But he has also called Democrats, others who oppose him and the news media evil. The word doesn’t hold much meaning coming from him.

Where does a grieving nation turn for comfort when the man who occupies the White House offers none? Our hearts are hurting. Places of worship are meant to be sanctuaries, not slaughterhouses. America is not supposed to be awash in fear. A friend told me that he doesn’t want to listen to the news anymore. He wants to be ignorant of what’s going on because the stress and the fear are too much to bear. I answered him that we’re all responsible now for tending to one another’s wounds, and if you stay blind to what those wounds are, you can’t help. Ignorance is not an option these days. This is a time for all of us to lead with the courage and compassion that is missing at the highest levels of our government.

In 1999, after Columbine, Clinton spoke about teaching our children “to resolve their conflicts with words, not weapons.”

After 9/11, Bush said, “America was targeted for attack because we’re the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining.”

In 2012, after Sandy Hook, Obama said, “all across this land of ours, we have wept with you. We’ve pulled our children tight.”

After the Challenger disaster, my father said, “We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.’ ”

After 11 worshippers were gunned down, massacred because they were Jewish, Trump said there should have been an armed guard inside. He said the death penalty should be toughened. And then, later, he made his joke about having a bad hair day and tweeted about a baseball game.

This president will never offer comfort, compassion or empathy to a grieving nation. It’s not in him. When questioned after a tragedy, he will always be glib and inappropriate. So I have a wild suggestion: Let’s stop asking him. His words are only salt in our wounds.

Let’s instead remember that the people in our daily lives are hurting too. Comfort comes in many forms, some of them small moments of kindness. Mother Teresa said, “We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something.”

Those words, and the words of past presidents, can guide us, inspire us, strengthen us when we’ve been driven to our knees.

Another unimportant person begging to be important.

"Driven to our knees"? Maybe you, Patti.

That being said, I agree. Most of these matters are local crimes magnified by media to place them on an agenda roster, and affect most people not too much. I've seen no evidence of "national mourning" for local cases save that constructed by media.

I would venture that Americans require no shoulder to cry on. A few words said go a long way.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought it was a little odd for people to look for comfort from their poltical leaders during such horrid events. I look to my family, friends, and neighbors as they are the folks that can actually help bring solace. Some may need or want that from that their politicians and that’s fine, but I don’t.

Any excuse for Trump. Like a true cult member.

Oh your heart must be so broken. A few people that you never knew died. A day completely unlike any other. How will you make it out of the bed? Will I have to call the president to make it happen? He's kind of busy saving the nation from an invasion, but on the other hand, nothing is more important than your fee fees.

There is no invasion coming.

By Patti Davis

Let's stop instead suckling dependently on the government's teat. Stand strong. Stand with personal responsibility. Get the cobwebs of so-called identity politics brand of using the government as a crutch out of your wittle head.

Forum List

Back