Liberals Are Ruining Sports

Turn off the sound and turn on your local radio station that is broadcasting the game. That what I use to do back when we fans in Houston were able to see our teams on television(after the city built two new stadiums). Now I've turn to Hockey and Soccer.........:(

Can't wait for the Football season, I don't care what they say.

If people would give soccer a chance, they'd appreciate that it lasts about 2 hours in total; there isn't this maddening instant replay on every play, teams lose with dignity and win with class.

Yeah, Houston is a textbook example of the lies professional sports tell cities. They had municipal furloughs and layoffs after the promises that these stadiums would be such economic engines.

Athletes pass at a higher rate than non athletes.
You danced around that fact like a monkey on fire.
Some do, some don't. The difference isn't night and day.

Athletes have a higher attendance rate than non athletes. Fact
Of course, they are playing games too. This must be why athletes use college as a 1 year stop before going to the NBA becasue they love college so much.

And you posted mostly COLLEGE stats when I posted high school facts.
Actually, you posted polls in some cases and a few facts. College is what; 3 months after a high school career is over?

Athletes get in trouble far, far less than non athletes.

And then you finished with something other than fact.
I was finished pointing out how you mis-quoted your own source about 4 times. It's okay, I know reading is hard for some people.

When I played I always knew when I had my opponent beat.
Sometimes it took 3 quarters, sometimes in the 4th, a lot of the time my opponent had me beat the entire game!, but I always knew when someone was a quitter a loser.
They started calling names like a 5 year old punk.
I don't think I called you names...If I did, I apologize.

Maybe I am a redneck like you say but you would have to add wealthy, very well educated and hard working.
Having played more seasons of ball than you have fingers, toes, eyes and ears I saw the positive effects of athletics on high school and college players in their academics and jobs in life. Same thing with my oldest son who played and my youngest son who did not as he chose other activities similar to athletics in high school and college. Same with my daughter.
Obvious you have a serious axe to grind here.

Private enterprise can do a superior job in this aspect. There are places where it cannot but this isn't one of them.

I suggest professional help. Everyone all over the world knows the direct correlation between athletics and overall good health and the structure that provides in excelling in the classroom.

Speaking of personal insults... :lol:
"Everyone all over the world" huh....funny as hell.

Again, physical activity isn't the point I'm making so effectively; it's having to send your team across town to play another team. It's a luxury we can no longer afford as a nation and private enterprise could step in and do a superior job to the one the school districts have done.

Your getting angry does not change the calculus; you lose.

Don't watch sports. I'm not interested in watching a bunch of black men in tights run around throwing balls to each other, especially knowing that if not given the chance to play for sports they'd probably all be standing on the street corner selling drugs.

Sports is shit.

If people would give soccer a chance, they'd appreciate that it lasts about 2 hours in total; there isn't this maddening instant replay on every play, teams lose with dignity and win with class.

"Give soccer a chance"? Millions and millions of children play soccer all over the US. By the time they get to high school, the better athletes have almost all gravitated to other sports. Soccer is given a chance. Americans (at least the majority) just don't like it.

And what's this "lose with dignity and win with class" BS? Is that what was on display when a soccer ref was killed by a player over a call during a game in Utah back in April? Or when a ref was killed and literally quartered by fans at a game in Brazil last month? Is that why riots regularly break out at soccer games in Europe? Is that why Korean fans hung huge racist banners at games when they hosted the World Cup several years ago (and a similar incident took place just last week)?

"Dignity and class"? Gimme a break.

"Give soccer a chance"? Millions and millions of children play soccer all over the US. By the time they get to high school, the better athletes have almost all gravitated to other sports. Soccer is given a chance. Americans (at least the majority) just don't like it.

And what's this "lose with dignity and win with class" BS? Is that what was on display when a soccer ref was killed by a player over a call during a game in Utah back in April? Or when a ref was killed and literally quartered by fans at a game in Brazil last month? Is that why riots regularly break out at soccer games in Europe? Is that why Korean fans hung huge racist banners at games when they hosted the World Cup several years ago (and a similar incident took place just last week)?

Oh, we can cite one-off examples and just highlight the most egregious exceptions as the rule?

Great...I'll remember that.

Soccer at it's highest level is more than athletics; it's beauty.

If anyone has gotten angry and "lost" (as if there is a 'winner' to some pointless online quibble) it would be YOU.

I'm not recommending people I disagee with seek professional help; the other guy is. It's a sure sign that I won.

That he had to mis-quote his own source to try to make his point is just another sign. You should be happy, you now have company; you're both victims.

Oh, we can cite one-off examples and just highlight the most egregious exceptions as the rule?

Great...I'll remember that.

Soccer at it's highest level is more than athletics; it's beauty.

Soccer at every level is somnolent.

If anyone has gotten angry and "lost" (as if there is a 'winner' to some pointless online quibble) it would be YOU.

I'm not recommending people I disagee with seek professional help; the other guy is. It's a sure sign that I won.

That he had to mis-quote his own source to try to make his point is just another sign. You should be happy, you now have company; you're both victims.

I hate to break it to you, but nobody "wins" pointless online arguments. Be glad, because it anyone did it wouldn't be you and your 'pissing into the wind' technique. You'll have to find something else to bolster your flagging sense of self worth.

I hate to break it to you, but nobody "wins" pointless online arguments. Be glad, because it anyone did it wouldn't be you and your 'pissing into the wind' technique. You'll have to find something else to bolster your flagging sense of self worth.

He phrased it in that context...I merely corrected him.

Athletes have a higher attendance rate than non athletes. Fact
Of course, they are playing games too. This must be why athletes use college as a 1 year stop before going to the NBA becasue they love college so much.

Actually, you posted polls in some cases and a few facts. College is what; 3 months after a high school career is over?

I was finished pointing out how you mis-quoted your own source about 4 times. It's okay, I know reading is hard for some people.

Maybe I am a redneck like you say but you would have to add wealthy, very well educated and hard working.
Having played more seasons of ball than you have fingers, toes, eyes and ears I saw the positive effects of athletics on high school and college players in their academics and jobs in life. Same thing with my oldest son who played and my youngest son who did not as he chose other activities similar to athletics in high school and college. Same with my daughter.
Obvious you have a serious axe to grind here.

Private enterprise can do a superior job in this aspect. There are places where it cannot but this isn't one of them.

I suggest professional help. Everyone all over the world knows the direct correlation between athletics and overall good health and the structure that provides in excelling in the classroom.

Again, physical activity isn't the point I'm making so effectively; it's having to send your team across town to play another team. It's a luxury we can no longer afford as a nation and private enterprise could step in and do a superior job to the one the school districts have done.

How many college players out of the thousands that play use college as "a 1 year stop" every year before entering the NBA?
3 or 4?
Let me appeal to your reason and common sense:
Did you know that high school athletic programs are bound by rules that the athletic departments are required to allocate close to the same resources per athlete if they play football or soccer or golf.
Let me give you an example. The football program at a high school funds 90% of THE ENTIRE athletic department of that school from the gate on Friday nights.
And the football program DOES NOT get a cent of that gate, the entire gate goes to the athletic department of that high school and the visiting team's high school athletic department.
To field a varsity football player on the high school level on most teams these days including equipment, training, nutrition, shoes, off season training and camps is about $1500 a year, PER PLAYER.
The high school will fund about $400 of that. THE PARENTS have to fund the rest and the booster club raises the money through corporate sponsorships and fees charged the PARENTS. Additionally, the football field is the field the soccer team plays on and tears up each year, as well as the practice field, and it is football revenues that pays for that field.
Nothing against soccer as those kids deserve the same respect as any football player.
But facts are facts. Football gate on Friday night is close to 10K PER GAME. Soccer gate is maybe $300 PER GAME.
Do the math.
The parents of the football players raise over 150K each and every year to field a football team as taxpayers DO NOT fund the football program other than what the average amount per athlete in the high school gets no matter if it is tennis or football plus an equipment allowance which does not even scratch the surface as a helmet is $200 these days.
High school football funds 90% of the entire athletic budget of a high school other than the per athlete funds which are the same. No problem with that but that is a fact.
High school athletics are 3% of the entire school budget and the athletes make up a larger % of that and the money is well spent.

Athletes graduate at a higher rate than non athletes.

"some do, some don't" is a dumb ass comment from someone that has no clue how to use statistics.
So this is for dummies:
100 students in a class.
24 are athletes.
50 of the 76 non athletes graduate.
18 of the 24 athletes graduate.
WELL DUH!

I can understand being sick of hearing so much about it/him, but you really didn't answer my question.

Go back and read my post without the edit.

I get tired of constantly arguing over the obvious.

I read your post. You complained about ESPN being too PC for your tastes generally but you didn't answer my very specific question about how covering the A-rod story is 'politically correct.' In fact, you didn't answer my previous question about why talking about PEDs and head injuries would be politically correct.

I didn't ever say that so what's the point of answering.

Go back and read my post without the edit.

I get tired of constantly arguing over the obvious.

I read your post. You complained about ESPN being too PC for your tastes generally but you didn't answer my very specific question about how covering the A-rod story is 'politically correct.' In fact, you didn't answer my previous question about why talking about PEDs and head injuries would be politically correct.

That's how (and apparently why) you started this thread.

That's how (and apparently why) you started this thread.

No it isn't.

I'm tired of ESPN in particular, talking about everything BUT sports. The fact that they're PC is one causation of their lousy coverage of sports. The fact that most journalists are liberals is another.

Personally I don't think that it's a good idea for any news corporation, that has a negative opinion of athletes in general, should be covering athletics. The result is highly predictable.

Don't watch sports. I'm not interested in watching a bunch of black men in tights run around throwing balls to each other, especially knowing that if not given the chance to play for sports they'd probably all be standing on the street corner selling drugs.

That's what "sports" is, is it?

That's what "sports" is, is it?

Sports is colorblind, at least it has become so.

I don't understand anyone who hates blacks that much.

How many college players out of the thousands that play use college as "a 1 year stop" every year before entering the NBA?
3 or 4?
There were 39 as of last year; probably another 10 came out in the last draft.

Let me appeal to your reason and common sense:
Did you know that high school athletic programs are bound by rules that the athletic departments are required to allocate close to the same resources per athlete if they play football or soccer or golf.
Let me give you an example. The football program at a high school funds 90% of THE ENTIRE athletic department of that school from the gate on Friday nights.
And the football program DOES NOT get a cent of that gate, the entire gate goes to the athletic department of that high school and the visiting team's high school athletic department.
To field a varsity football player on the high school level on most teams these days including equipment, training, nutrition, shoes, off season training and camps is about $1500 a year, PER PLAYER.
The high school will fund about $400 of that. THE PARENTS have to fund the rest and the booster club raises the money through corporate sponsorships and fees charged the PARENTS. Additionally, the football field is the field the soccer team plays on and tears up each year, as well as the practice field, and it is football revenues that pays for that field.
Nothing against soccer as those kids deserve the same respect as any football player.
But facts are facts. Football gate on Friday night is close to 10K PER GAME. Soccer gate is maybe $300 PER GAME.
Do the math.
The parents of the football players raise over 150K each and every year to field a football team as taxpayers DO NOT fund the football program other than what the average amount per athlete in the high school gets no matter if it is tennis or football plus an equipment allowance which does not even scratch the surface as a helmet is $200 these days.
High school football funds 90% of the entire athletic budget of a high school other than the per athlete funds which are the same. No problem with that but that is a fact.
High school athletics are 3% of the entire school budget and the athletes make up a larger % of that and the money is well spent.

Its the same "math" that was used by some here to point out how the wars were funded in Iraq and Afghanistan. Citing the budget but not the supplemental budgets.

I'll take you at your word but obviously not every school operates the same way; sponsorships change from year to year, district to district, etc... You know this but...whatever.

I do know that our school had nowhere near $150,000 added to it's budget by parents of football players....the very thought of such an absurd figure is farcical on it's face. And the gate was nowhere near $10,000 per game. I won't ask where you get the figures since, by virtue of their being round numbers, are obviously either averaged or pulled out of thin air.

Whatever.

But getting back to Allen Texas and their $60,000,000 stadium, it would take what, 6,000 games to pay for at $10K a game? At 6 home games a year, that will be 1,000 years meaning that in the year 3013, it may be paid off or at least the principal would be. Your math; not mine.

Of course, that wasn't the funding mechanism they used, they used a bond sale which doesn't fit into the budget you mentioned above.... It was only $119,000,000 in new debt the citizens voted for in 2009:

The taxpayers of Allen can’t be too upset by public money being used to buff up the city’s image, because they are the ones who approved in 2009 approved the $119 million in bonds required to build the new high school football stadium, as well as a school auditorium and other facilities. The community’s growth ensures that the tax bite from those bonds won’t be too deep, but the issue, as well, is that the people of Allen, or at least a majority of them, want to guarantee that their school facilities are seen as first-class.

If you’re going to keep your community at a median income level at least double the national average, you can’t let things start looking a bit shopworn, and when you do build, you want to build big so everybody looks at you, and maybe resents your ability to pull this off, at least until they figure out how they can move in.

It sounds a lot like the kind of fluff that was taking place prior to the real estate bubble bursting, doesn't it?

Anyway, the point, yet again, is that the $60,000,000 is not being spent on anything except athletics whose benefits are arguable at best. Obviously, the priorities of spending 1/2 of all of the new debt on nothing that would benefit except a very small percentage of students are woefully mis-aligned.

Last edited:

"some do, some don't" is a dumb ass comment from someone that has no clue how to use statistics.
So this is for dummies:
100 students in a class.
24 are athletes.
50 of the 76 non athletes graduate.
18 of the 24 athletes graduate.
WELL DUH!

And that is the same for every school? It depends on a great many factors; everything from the workout schedules for the athletes to the difficulties of their classes, to whether or no the standardized tests were updated when you took your sample.

How many kids who took AP Calculus graduated? Probably closer to 100 than the 75% you just made up since they have their math prereqs out of the way if they are placed in APC. We should, therefore, fund more APC classes since obviously that is where the grads are.... :eusa_whistle:

Turn off the sound and turn on your local radio station that is broadcasting the game. That what I use to do back when we fans in Houston were able to see our teams on television(after the city built two new stadiums). Now I've turn to Hockey and Soccer.........:(

Can't wait for the Football season, I don't care what they say.

No thanks, too slow. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Forum List

Back