Liberals Are Ruining Sports

If people would give soccer a chance, they'd appreciate that it lasts about 2 hours in total; there isn't this maddening instant replay on every play, teams lose with dignity and win with class.

No thanks, too slow. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Really,

Serious question; what is your primary beef with soccer?
Next to no scoring.....They just run around kicking a ball back and forth....BFD.

Aussie football is more entertaining and I don't even know that much about the game.

I'm no sure why you are saying this is a liberal-conservative divide.

Are you by any chance saying that conservatives support cheating, crime, etc.?
No, he's not.

What he's saying is that he's tired of chickenshit like political correctness in team names (i.e. Fighting Sioux), getting preached to about Goebbels warming and breast cancer as actual parts of the games and their reportage, trying to hijack the NFL to propagandize for purely political purposes (Obolshevikcare), banning chewing tobacco, the insistence that athletes pretend to not have human failings because some kids might foolishly idolize them, etcetera.

And I'm plenty tired of it too.

Although that shade of pink looks good on the Seahawks uni........anything to bring some color to those damned things.

You are a ham sandwich short of a picnic lunch.
The budget for a mid sized Georgia high team booster club is 150K
The Allen Texas team has a booster club budget of over a million privately raised dollars. The community supports the team same as the community there supports the local library, the homeless, the needy, the hungry and everything else.
Called community and neighborhood.
Something that before your time of government runs everything people looked to as the vehicle to get everything done.
Your bitching, moaning, crying and screaming is the new norm of society these days.
You have no clue about how things in the real world get solved.
Without spending a cent of the taxpayers money.

So since it was a total freebie, can you tell us why they stopped at $60 million for the stadium and why not every other district in the country is building one of these palaces?

That, in addition of course, to answering the questions....since you say that Football supports 90% of the athletic budget through ticket sales and now those ticket sales are going into paying off the non-existent debt....what/who is replacing the 90% that you swear was being supported by football.

The personal insults--you know the ones you said were a sure sign of someone losing--are entertaining but it would go a lot further if you would try to explain your spectacular stories about how the stadium is free (I'm sure the bonds just materialized out of thin air and need no collateral to back them up) and how sports is more important than mathematics.

I did not insult you when I stated you were a ham sandwich short of a picnic lunch.
I will insult you now as I was wrong, you are 2 ham sandwiches short of a picnic lunch.
You know nothing on this subject.

So I guess that means I won--using your logic???

Oh well...it was inevitable.

Years ago I decided to go to my first soccer game. I called down to the ticket office and inquired about purchasing 8 tickets to the game that day. I asked about good seats. "Where do you want them" asked back the ticket office woman. "As good as you can get me" I answered. "How about in the middle of the field 12 rows back." she asked. Fine I said and asked "what time is the game." She replied "what time can you all be here?"
So all 6 of us go to the soccer game and we park right up front. I bought 8 tickets but only 6 of us showed up so I put the other two tickets on my windshield under the wiper blade with a sign on a piece of paper "FREE TICKETS". The game started and the action is non stop, you have to be an athlete to play soccer. The clock runs non stop. Officials pull out cards of different colors and after a long while of them running up and down the field and kicking the ball to each other and a few missed shots the score at half time was 0-0. Ditto for the second half and about 4 minutes left in the game one dude kicked the shit out of the ball from an out of bounds end line and another dude made a nifty shot off of his head into the goal.
Final score 1-0. When I got back to the car to leave there were 16 other tickets stuck under the wind shield wiper.
First and last soccer game.

352gegl.jpg

Old joke, and took forever to get to the punch line. But I guess that's the point. :thup:

Years ago I decided to go to my first soccer game. I called down to the ticket office and inquired about purchasing 8 tickets to the game that day. I asked about good seats. "Where do you want them" asked back the ticket office woman. "As good as you can get me" I answered. "How about in the middle of the field 12 rows back." she asked. Fine I said and asked "what time is the game." She replied "what time can you all be here?"
So all 6 of us go to the soccer game and we park right up front. I bought 8 tickets but only 6 of us showed up so I put the other two tickets on my windshield under the wiper blade with a sign on a piece of paper "FREE TICKETS". The game started and the action is non stop, you have to be an athlete to play soccer. The clock runs non stop. Officials pull out cards of different colors and after a long while of them running up and down the field and kicking the ball to each other and a few missed shots the score at half time was 0-0. Ditto for the second half and about 4 minutes left in the game one dude kicked the shit out of the ball from an out of bounds end line and another dude made a nifty shot off of his head into the goal.
Final score 1-0. When I got back to the car to leave there were 16 other tickets stuck under the wind shield wiper.
First and last soccer game.

352gegl.jpg

Old joke, and took forever to get to the punch line. But I guess that's the point. :thup:

I didnt get it.

I did hear this . one joke about Jeopardy! where the 1st prize was a weekend in Atlanta; 2nd place prize was a whole week.

It's not that I hate liberals. I just need a break every once in awhile.

I think people should check their politics at the door at sporting events. But people are people.

What's ruining sports is that it's become big business.

Yes, A-Rod taking 'roids is terrible. But frankly, for the kind of money he was being paid, you can kind of see the temptation, can't you? And the business end of Baseball ignored this for years until a few cases of Roid Rage broke out.

espn-sportscenter-bias-arod-yankees.gif

Yes, liberals are ruining sports in America.

Used to be you could count on an escape from all of the nonsense and politics when you tune into ESPN or listen to sports on the radio. Now all we hear is when will Arod get suspended for taking PEDs. I stopped watching Major League Baseball when I came to the realization that only certain teams have a chance of winning. Why watch it when you know your team has no chance?

Sports is supposed to be an escape from reality. Unfortunately there are liberals in journalism, and they seem to think that we care more about what's wrong with sports than what's right about it.

You would hope that they would check their cynical natures at the door and just report the news, but instead they feel we want to hear their opinions about their ideology.

Last year we had to listen to a spiel on gun violence during half-time. This year the White House tried to talk the NFL into advertizing for Obamacare, and thankfully they rejected it. College football is being flooded with politically correct commentators that are going to ruin the game. Nobody wants to hear their BS. We just want to hear about who our team got in free-agency. Who's loaded for a good run this season? We aren't interested in hearing how all of the progressives that are taking over broadcasting are worried about head injuries. Spare us. Just friggen spare us. Let us enjoy something in our lives without having to deal with your bogus Bull Shit, alright??

Taking wrestling out the Olympics is a great example of it, running backs not being able to duck their head between the tackles is pretty lame too.

Are you really going to tell me you don't think the left runs our media?

Especially the number one rated media in America....Fox. Righty? How does this make sense to you?

Fox isn't part of the mainstream media.

Must I spell everything out to the inth degree when explaining my positions?

All of these liberals going around playing dumb and thinking they're clever when all they're showing is their ignorance.

The media is basically liberal because it is run by educated people.

Liberals are ruining sports!

Good lord! what pansies some of you Cons are.

Seriously it must be nice to have a SCAPEGOAT to explain away every shortcoming of this society of ours.

If you think this assinine post has any merit at all??

GROW A SET ya' pussy..

Nice to see an admission about the political leanings of the media, most of the time it's intellectually dishonest denials. Thanks for that.

And yes, I'd agree with the "more educated" claim. The problem is (a) they were most likely educated by very liberal institutions, and (b) the volume of "education" a person receives doesn't predict intelligence, common sense or honesty. I remember several "professional students" at college who were essentially worthless.

Nice to see an admission about the political leanings of the media, most of the time it's intellectually dishonest denials. Thanks for that.

And yes, I'd agree with the "more educated" claim. The problem is (a) they were most likely educated by very liberal institutions, and (b) the volume of "education" a person receives doesn't predict intelligence, common sense or honesty. I remember several "professional students" at college who were essentially worthless.

Universities are also run by educated people. There you go.

... and precisely the same rule applies.

I guess conservatives need more and better education to level the playing field.

Didn't learn a damn thing about sports. But I am starting to understand why Repubs seem to have such a problem with education. It might make them "liberal".

Didn't learn a damn thing about sports. But I am starting to understand why Repubs seem to have such a problem with education. It might make them "liberal".

I realize the standard line is that liberals are just more intelligent than everyone else, and that's charming and all, but how do Republicans "have such a problem with education", precisely?

I'm not terribly fond of defending that party, but I keep hearing this.

Mac I don't know what you keep hearing. But I know this; most of the universities and colleges around the country are supposedly being run by "liberals".

Now, are you saying that a dyed in the wool Republican wants their offspring being educated by a liberal?
No I am sure you aren't saying that.

So what conclusion would you draw about Rethugs and education? Global warming. Rethugs say it ain't happening. Creationism. True. Hitler and Obama one and the same. Fact.

Those are all positions that can be found right here, written by Repubs.
You think those positions are posited by "educated" people?

Especially the number one rated media in America....Fox. Righty? How does this make sense to you?

Fox isn't part of the mainstream media.

Must I spell everything out to the inth degree when explaining my positions?

All of these liberals going around playing dumb and thinking they're clever when all they're showing is their ignorance.

That's not it.

Let's say you are walking down the street and you see a crime. You may get involved, you may not. Any number of factors effect your decision; how busy you are, the severity of the crime, the victim, the criminal, if you knew the parties, the weather, etc....

The media reports the crime and is, by definition expressing concern.

When you frame the response in the prism of politics, such concern is seen as liberal; whether it is or not isn't the point: that is the perception.

I realize the standard line is that liberals are just more intelligent than everyone else, and that's charming and all, but how do Republicans "have such a problem with education", precisely?

I'm not terribly fond of defending that party, but I keep hearing this.

Santorum's "snob" comment is probably the best example.

Mac I don't know what you keep hearing. But I know this; most of the universities and colleges around the country are supposedly being run by "liberals".

Now, are you saying that a dyed in the wool Republican wants their offspring being educated by a liberal?
No I am sure you aren't saying that.

So what conclusion would you draw about Rethugs and education? Global warming. Rethugs say it ain't happening. Creationism. True. Hitler and Obama one and the same. Fact.

Those are all positions that can be found right here, written by Repubs.
You think those positions are posited by "educated" people?

At a macro level, I haven't been fond of the "you disagree with me, so you're dumb" thing in a few decades. Probably grade school. And I have zero doubt that most universities are extremely (not a word I use often) liberal in their culture.

Anyway, I don't look at partisan ideology or its practice as an intelligence/education issue. I think it's more a matter of people who literally talk themselves into things, and it happens on both ends of the spectrum with distressing regularity. This habit bypasses education or intelligence, it's more psychological in nature.

I've droned on and on about this before, but after doing quite a bit of reading on the power and influence of the subconcious mind, I think that's where most ideology exists. So a person can be intelligent and educated, and still talk themselves into screamingly illogical positions.

Then, as a direct result of the ideological positions they have taken, they will deny and divert from any contrary evidence, no matter how powerful that evidence is. So my curiousity about partisan ideologues on both ends is how much of this is conscious (lies) and how much is subconscious (something they have actually talked themselves into and believe).

Yes, I know, I'm off on the side of the road somewhere. That's where my little brain exists, evidently.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back