Liberals judges write new law - You can't have a gun if your WIFE has a felony conviction

The Second Amendment right is not absolute and subject to reasonable restrictions by government, such as keeping guns out of the hands of felons.

The Second Amendment right is not absolute and subject to reasonable restrictions by government, such as keeping guns out of the hands of felons.

Actually the second amendment is absolute in terms of Congress, but we have so fucked up the original intent of the COTUS that going back now and saying we should absolutely follow any one particular portion of it is hilarious.

If someone commits a murder, they may go to jail for as little as 10 years. But lets say it is 15 years. A 22 year old thug kills someone. They do 15 years in jail. Now they are out and 37 years old. You want them to be able to buy a gun? No thank you.

Why not? Do speeders and drunk drivers and red light runners who kill lose forever the right to drive a car? THINK

Ummm yes in certain states you can lose your driver's license forever for violating state driving laws.

That said- it was not a judge who denied the man his permit- it would be the police chief in the town he resides in, affirmed upon appeal by judges.

That being said- I think that laws which permanently deny convicted felons of voting and gun ownership may be too extreme- or in this case, the latitude given to a police chief may be too extreme.

There is a process by which felons can apply to have their rights reinstated. To try and make it so their rights are reinstated automatically, upon completion of their sentence or whatever, is a very bad idea.
i don't disagree with this, although i can definitely see the room for debate.

however, i can't see how someone could argue that a husband should be allowed to own a gun in the same house as a wife who can't. clearly she will have access, which would, i would think, put the husband in the position of supplying a gun to a felon.

The concept of a gun safe is used when having guns with minors in the house. Why not this case? Also, do we suspend a person's voting rights when they have a felon in the house, because said felon might influence their vote?

'

So lets ban him from voting, because the felon might influence his vote.
And any restriction should be minimally intrusive, such as requring him to keep the gun stored in a safe that only he has the combo to or the key.

If someone commits a murder, they may go to jail for as little as 10 years. But lets say it is 15 years. A 22 year old thug kills someone. They do 15 years in jail. Now they are out and 37 years old. You want them to be able to buy a gun? No thank you.

Why not? Do speeders and drunk drivers and red light runners who kill lose forever the right to drive a car? THINK

Ummm yes in certain states you can lose your driver's license forever for violating state driving laws.

That said- it was not a judge who denied the man his permit- it would be the police chief in the town he resides in, affirmed upon appeal by judges.

That being said- I think that laws which permanently deny convicted felons of voting and gun ownership may be too extreme- or in this case, the latitude given to a police chief may be too extreme.

There is a process by which felons can apply to have their rights reinstated. To try and make it so their rights are reinstated automatically, upon completion of their sentence or whatever, is a very bad idea.

however, i can't see how someone could argue that a husband should be allowed to own a gun in the same house as a wife who can't. clearly she will have access, which would, i would think, put the husband in the position of supplying a gun to a felon.

The concept of a gun safe is used when having guns with minors in the house. Why not this case? Also, do we suspend a person's voting rights when they have a felon in the house, because said felon might influence their vote?

'
tying voting to a felony record has never made sense to me - unless the crime was voter fraud. and influence isn't the issue here. perhaps an analogy might be to disallow absentee voting for households with a felon.

gun safes are used with kids. how many stories of kids getting their hands on the guns of 'responsible' gun owners do we need to realize that is hardly foolproof.

no, i can't see how someone could reasonably believe that the husband would be able to adequately restrict his wife from access to the gun

'
tying voting to a felony record has never made sense to me - unless the crime was voter fraud. and influence isn't the issue here. perhaps an analogy might be to disallow absentee voting for households with a felon.

gun safes are used with kids. how many stories of kids getting their hands on the guns of 'responsible' gun owners do we need to realize that is hardly foolproof.

no, i can't see how someone could reasonably believe that the husband would be able to adequately restrict his wife from access to the gun

he is being punished for a crime that is not his. "Sins of the father" or the equivalent when it comes to another family member have never been part of american jurisprudence.

A right is a right. What is really happening here is the gun grabbers in NJ need any reason to deny ANYONE a firearm permit.

No. If someone is convicted of a felony, and cannot get their rights restored thru the courts, they do not ever need to be able to own a gun.

They have already shown their disdain for the law. They have already broken a serious law. And the courts obviously think they are a danger if armed.

Serious law???. Usually it's just a drug "crime" or something equally silly like tax evasion. You are a moron.

And besides, judges are not supposed to write laws. You want a a law that says people married to felons can't have guns, then go to the legislature. Again - you are a moron.
The judge did not write the law, he applied it as written. Felons cannot have guns in their home. End of story.

If all convicted ciminals, regardless of the nature of their crime, were immediately executed outside the courtroom we wouldn't have these problems.

So...would it take him more or less than an hour to get a gun if he simply drove to Newark?

Let's make it clear that the opinion originates from a left winger. No right winger would propose such a thing. Is it a trolling post or is he serious about awarding felons the right to purchase a firearm when the left is on a crusade to ban firearms?

If all convicted ciminals, regardless of the nature of their crime, were immediately executed outside the courtroom we wouldn't have these problems.

You want to execute all drunk drivers and speeders and red light runners?. OK with me.

The judge did not write the law, he applied it as written. Felons cannot have guns in their home. End of story.

Again you lie. No such law says that. The judge made it up. Felons can't have guns but someone else in the house can. THINK

Again you lie. No such law says that. The judge made it up. Felons can't have guns but someone else in the house can. THINK
The law prohibits a felon from being in a house with a gun. That is the law. Unless she was moving out, allowing her to have permit when she admitted her and the gun would be in the home with the felon would violate the law.

Did you even read the fucking article, moron. Right from the article: " The court maintained that his possession of firearms in the same home as a convicted felon would allow her access and create an unacceptable threat to public health, safety, and welfare, as reportedby the Associated Press."

Someone else's acts are no reason to deny the rights of a person who is eligible to own a gun

The husband had to call the police in the last two years when his wife got drunk and assaulted him. She was arrested for DUI. There is a 13 year old child in the home. If you think it is a good idea for convicted felons with recent episodes of violence and a drinking problem to have access to guns, you are an idiot.

Someone else's acts are no reason to deny the rights of a person who is eligible to own a gun
When that person shares you home and would, therefore, have equal access to the gun and when that person recently was accused of assault, yes, that is a good reason to deny this man the right to keep a gun in that home.

When that person shares you home and would, therefore, have equal access to the gun and when that person recently was accused of assault, yes, that is a good reason to deny this man the right to keep a gun in that home.

Not necessarily.

A biometric lock box would only allow one person to open it

Are you in favor of a person being denied ownership of a car because his wife had her license permanently revoked?

Forum List

Back