🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Lies the fundies tell

The Persecution Complex: The Religious Right?s Deceptive Rallying Cry | People For the American Way

The tales of horror keep pouring in: Two middle school girls are forced into a lesbian kiss as part of an anti-bullying program; an Air Force sergeant is fired because he opposes same-sex marriage; a high school track team is disqualified from a meet after an athlete thanks God for the team’s victory; a Veterans Affairs hospital bans Christmas cards with religious messages; a man fixing the lights in a Christmas tree falls victim to a wave of War-on-Christmas violence; an elementary school student is punished for praying over his school lunch; a little boy is forced to take a psychological evaluation after drawing a picture of Jesus.

[Links to above lies at the link.]

None of these stories is true. But each has become a stock tale for Religious Right broadcasters, activists, and in some cases elected officials. These myths – which are becoming ever more pervasive in the right-wing media – serve to bolster a larger story, that of a majority religious group in American society becoming a persecuted minority, driven underground in its own country.

Why Do Right-Wing Christians Think 'Religious Freedom' Means Forcing Their Faith on You? | Alternet

The report shows that Christian conservative circles have become awash in legends of being persecuted for their faith, stories that invariably turn out to be nonsense but that “serve to bolster a larger story, that of a majority religious group in American society becoming a persecuted minority, driven underground in its own country.” This sense of persecution, in turn, gives them justification to push their actual agenda of religious repression under the guise that they’re just protecting themselves.

The most obvious and persistent example of this is the issue of creationism in the classroom. Clearly, teaching creationism in a biology classroom is a straightforward violation of the First Amendment, a direct attempt to use taxpayer money to foist a very specific religious teaching on captive students.

Why do so many fall for these lies?

Because they want to hate and if they can believe there's a "war" on christianity, it gives them an excuse to behave in very anti-christian ways.

"65,000 repetitions makes one truth."

- Aldous Huxley, "Brave New World"

"If you tell a big enough lie often enough it will get believed."

- Adolph Hitler, bad guy.

I Think Christians should start threating to cutting off heads

maybe then the left will stop ATTACKING them

that site should be called, people for the Un-American way

Last edited:
Let's see, I'm Googling "lies lefties tell about religion". Wow, look at all the responses!

Excellent. I can't wait for you to share them to give this some balance.

allowing a cross on public land on a hill in California will cause your teeth to rot.....
if you let someone pray at a high school football game you may have to spend eternity in heaven against your will.....
if we don't stop Christians they will hang on your leg like a dog in heat and force you to believe in Jesus......

Last edited:
and my favorite.....we're going to change the definition of marriage and force you to believe the relationship between two men as the same thing as that between a man and a woman.....because its wrong to force others to believe what you believe........(but it's not wrong to force YOU to believe what WE believe)......

Because they want to hate and if they can believe there's a "war" on christianity, it gives them an excuse to behave in very anti-christian ways.

Everyone lies to everyone else for political reasons. It isn't like anyone has any high moral ground on that particular tactic. You don't like Conservatives or the religious (often one and the same), so you point out their lies. They can do the same for your side of the political street.

It's just a game that you willingly play.

Let's see, I'm Googling "lies lefties tell about religion". Wow, look at all the responses!

allowing a cross on public land on a hill in California will cause your teeth to rot.....
if you let someone pray at a high school football game you may have to spend eternity in heaven against your will.....
if we don't stop Christians they will hang on your leg like a dog in heat and force you to believe in Jesus......

Excellent start. Can you give me the source of each of those lies, please? I mean, you certainly wouldn't have just made them up because that would be a lie.

Which part?

All of it. The entire concept is utter nonsense. Christianity is under attack? Fetid dingoes kidneys.

Really? Cause it seems clear by many of the threads around this board that Christianity is under attack.

Heck, Hazel just created one attacking Christians claiming we want some all powerful theocracy over everyone.

I see. So if someone expresses an opinion against Christianity it is an attack. If someone expresses an opinion against another belief, would that be an attack? For example, when GYMIS tells me I am going to hell, that is an attack. Right? Or is it only an attack if the opinion is not Christian? I just want to make sure I understand the standards we are using.

and my favorite.....we're going to change the definition of marriage and force you to believe the relationship between two men as the same thing as that between a man and a woman.....because its wrong to force others to believe what you believe........(but it's not wrong to force YOU to believe what WE believe)......

Not quite. in fact, not even close. No one is forcing you to believe anything. What is happening is others are no longer willing for you to force them to believe what you want. Which is really what this entire "attack" thing is about. You consider preventing you from oppressing others to be oppression, and you are against oppression if you are the one being oppressed.

The Persecution Complex: The Religious Right?s Deceptive Rallying Cry | People For the American Way

The tales of horror keep pouring in: Two middle school girls are forced into a lesbian kiss as part of an anti-bullying program; an Air Force sergeant is fired because he opposes same-sex marriage; a high school track team is disqualified from a meet after an athlete thanks God for the team’s victory; a Veterans Affairs hospital bans Christmas cards with religious messages; a man fixing the lights in a Christmas tree falls victim to a wave of War-on-Christmas violence; an elementary school student is punished for praying over his school lunch; a little boy is forced to take a psychological evaluation after drawing a picture of Jesus.

[Links to above lies at the link.]

None of these stories is true. But each has become a stock tale for Religious Right broadcasters, activists, and in some cases elected officials. These myths – which are becoming ever more pervasive in the right-wing media – serve to bolster a larger story, that of a majority religious group in American society becoming a persecuted minority, driven underground in its own country.

Why Do Right-Wing Christians Think 'Religious Freedom' Means Forcing Their Faith on You? | Alternet

The report shows that Christian conservative circles have become awash in legends of being persecuted for their faith, stories that invariably turn out to be nonsense but that “serve to bolster a larger story, that of a majority religious group in American society becoming a persecuted minority, driven underground in its own country.” This sense of persecution, in turn, gives them justification to push their actual agenda of religious repression under the guise that they’re just protecting themselves.

The most obvious and persistent example of this is the issue of creationism in the classroom. Clearly, teaching creationism in a biology classroom is a straightforward violation of the First Amendment, a direct attempt to use taxpayer money to foist a very specific religious teaching on captive students.

Why do so many fall for these lies?

I don't think that the main objective is to hate. The persecution complex is found in Christianity as much as it is found in Shia Islam.

There's no difference in the article or this:
Göring: Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.
Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.
Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

Let's start with the lie in the thread title...

He calls all Christians "fundies"....and pretends that the right wing consists of ONLY fundies.

Lie. Divisive, insulting, inflammatory thread title. Should be moved to the badlands [MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION]

Excellent start. Can you give me the source of each of those lies, please? I mean, you certainly wouldn't have just made them up because that would be a lie.

the source?......the imagination of an atheist, I expect.......

No one is forcing you to believe anything.

so if one of my employees comes to me and says I want spousal benefits for my same sex partner am I free to say sorry, I don't believe you?.........if a gay couple comes and tells me that they want me to bake them a wedding cake am I free to say no?........

Last edited:

the source?......the imagination of an atheist, I expect.......

So it was a lie. How noble of you.

so if one of my employees comes to me and says I want spousal benefits for my same sex partner am I free to say sorry, I don't believe you?.........if a gay couple comes and tells me that they want me to bake them a wedding cake am I free to say no?........

Yes. I understand you think it is your right to impose your beliefs upon others but others do not have the right to do the same to you. I get that.

Yes. I understand you think it is your right to impose your beliefs upon others but others do not have the right to do the same to you. I get that.

ouch....did I step on your toe and make you angry?.....can you deny that the baker who got shut down was forced?....or that wedding photographer in Arizona?......how can you deny that you think its okay to force people to believe what you believe?......

I on the other hand am willing to let people fuck whatever they want to fuck so long as I'm allowed to ignore them......

Forum List

Back