Like it hot? A spicy diet might mean longer life

I had a girlfriend who's mother was from Thailand. The mom would make some of the hottest dishes. I got into East Indian food the same way.
The hottest foods seem to be routine fare in the hottest countries. It would seem more logical for hot spicy foods to be consumed more in cold climes; but, no, northern palates seem conditioned to milder seasoning!
Eritrean/Ethiopian food is a lot like Indian food. Its really interesting. The guy that runs the Indian restaurant I go to told me that Indians came from Africa and thats why the food is similar.

That is one aspect of cultural anthropology commonly overlooked by modern investigators. Links between Africa and groups in other continents probably can be made by similarities in diet and food preparation. Interesting!

overlooked by whom? Ethiopians do not cook like persons
from India------the north west of Africa is chock full of migrants
from India. Language is a far better marker. Capsicum
is south American-----it was not introduced to India and Africa
by MIGRANTS FROM SOUTH AMERICA. My city got it from TACO BELL
I have friends that are Eritrean. I eat over their house all the time and the food is very similar to Indian food. They use the same preparation methods and spices.

Yeah? so? east Africa is chock full of migrants from
south east asia------AND has been in trade contact with
THE EAST, including India ------for MILLENNIA. EITREA is a short swim from Yemen. Capsicum is from south America.
Lots of Yemenis and Indians think they invented it.
Yemenis cannot eat without it------but muhummad (a short walk to Yemen) never tasted it. He did (most likely) taste
black pepper and cumin and coriander------like everyone
else in the middle east ----for MILLENNIA -----they all use tomatoes-------and seem to imagine they invented them------
even Julius ceasar never tasted a tomato. The food all over
Africa seems to NEED some tomato paste-------it's new
to Africa but EVERYONE needs it. For better results in your
anthropology----trace the BREAD. Somehow Cardamom
made it to DENMARK (from india) (cuisine moves around the world faster than a joke)

635744698059766447-SPICES-HUNDRED-FOOT-JOURNEY-FOOD-MOV-JY-1417--66295948.JPG

I've been a big fan of Tabasco on my eggs for as long as I can remember. I always look for the hottest chili sauces and find most foods bland without a little kick to it. I still can eat a Jalapeño straight up. Maybe I got a few more years ahead of me than I thought.

Read the article @ Like it hot? A spicy diet might mean longer life

I love spicy/hot foods, just not ridiculously hot. Pizza without jalapenos is just not a good pizza.

jalapeno is very new to Italy----in fact so are tomatoes------

The hottest foods seem to be routine fare in the hottest countries. It would seem more logical for hot spicy foods to be consumed more in cold climes; but, no, northern palates seem conditioned to milder seasoning!
Eritrean/Ethiopian food is a lot like Indian food. Its really interesting. The guy that runs the Indian restaurant I go to told me that Indians came from Africa and thats why the food is similar.

That is one aspect of cultural anthropology commonly overlooked by modern investigators. Links between Africa and groups in other continents probably can be made by similarities in diet and food preparation. Interesting!

I have friends that are Eritrean. I eat over their house all the time and the food is very similar to Indian food. They use the same preparation methods and spices.

THE EAST, including India ------for MILLENNIA. EITREA is a short swim from Yemen. Capsicum is from south America.
Yemenis cannot eat without it------but muhummad (a short walk to Yemen) never tasted it. He did (most likely) taste
else in the middle east ----for MILLENNIA -----they all use tomatoes-------and seem to imagine they invented them------
made it to DENMARK (from india) (cuisine moves around the world faster than a joke)
Eritreans are not migrants to East Africa. They've always been there. Thats were humanity started. Yes they have had contact with Indian for time longer than Western civilization even knows or acknowledges. I dont get what the rest of your post has to do with my post?

Eritreans are not migrants to East Africa. They've always been there. Thats were humanity started. Yes they have had contact with Indian for time longer than Western civilization even knows or acknowledges. I dont get what the rest of your post has to do with my post?

Eritreans have "always" been there? how long is
"always"????-----------when did they invent capsicum?
I am too lazy to seek the answer------what "grain" do they '
use in their cuisine. Tracing grass grains is another good
anthropological indicator. Can you tell me something
about ERITREAN CUISINE? do they use "TEFF"??
Mostly I am interested in their bread

And now for one of my cherished personal anecdotes----YOU LUCKY PEOPLE. I was in college when introduced to
INDIAN FOOD (which was kinda like new in the USA at
that time)-----I got into it right away-----and---of course--experimented. My dad was not a picky eater---but HIS mom
grew up in London (before India arrived there)---English food----
some salt and a tiny touch of black pepper---END!!! soft boiled eggs---boiled cabbage,, potatoes ---also boiled. My father refused pumpkin pie on the complaint TOO SPICY!!!----
))))nutmeg and cinnamon(((( I tried the stuff on my dad---some simple "keema" thing. Dad said "NO ONE CAN EAT THIS STUFF"------I said "Indians eat this kind of stuff three times a day" (well---I hoped so) He said "yeah ---they lie on nails too" Hubby is middle eastern-----he takes his raw jalapenos ----STRAIGHT UP----like KNIFE. We buy Sriracha
by the case

I looove Indian, make curries for dinner a lot. Love Thai too.

Hottest food I ever had was actually at a Korean restaurant in Seattle. Their menu offered "Mild", "Medium", "spicy hot" and at the top, "Korean hot". I said, "I'm from New Orleans, bring it on!".

And they did. Oh mercy they did. Made me slow down my eating. I respect that. When I go to Thai restaurants I always have to say "I mean real hot, not gringo-hot". Sometimes they even comply but half the time I have to send it back as too wimpy.
I had a girlfriend who's mother was from Thailand. The mom would make some of the hottest dishes. I got into East Indian food the same way.

The accepted justification is that spicy as in the capsaicin kind-----stimulates sweating----which cools the body (???)
I am inclined to be cynical------hot peppers of the capsaicin
type FLOURISH and hot climates and by virtue of stimulating
endorphins---also are mildly EUPHORIANT. People in hot
climates need a little "upper"

Did you know that ALL chili peppers come from Mexico? They've been imported all over the world and each group cultivates them to their taste.

I've been a big fan of Tabasco on my eggs for as long as I can remember. I always look for the hottest chili sauces and find most foods bland without a little kick to it. I still can eat a Jalapeño straight up. Maybe I got a few more years ahead of me than I thought.

I love spicy/hot foods, just not ridiculously hot. Pizza without jalapenos is just not a good pizza.

Tomatoes were taken to Italy by the Spanish explorers of Peru as were potatoes.

And now for one of my cherished personal anecdotes----YOU LUCKY PEOPLE. I was in college when introduced to
INDIAN FOOD (which was kinda like new in the USA at
that time)-----I got into it right away-----and---of course--experimented. My dad was not a picky eater---but HIS mom
grew up in London (before India arrived there)---English food----
some salt and a tiny touch of black pepper---END!!! soft boiled eggs---boiled cabbage,, potatoes ---also boiled. My father refused pumpkin pie on the complaint TOO SPICY!!!----
))))nutmeg and cinnamon(((( I tried the stuff on my dad---some simple "keema" thing. Dad said "NO ONE CAN EAT THIS STUFF"------I said "Indians eat this kind of stuff three times a day" (well---I hoped so) He said "yeah ---they lie on nails too" Hubby is middle eastern-----he takes his raw jalapenos ----STRAIGHT UP----like KNIFE. We buy Sriracha
by the case

I looove Indian, make curries for dinner a lot. Love Thai too.

Hottest food I ever had was actually at a Korean restaurant in Seattle. Their menu offered "Mild", "Medium", "spicy hot" and at the top, "Korean hot". I said, "I'm from New Orleans, bring it on!".

And they did. Oh mercy they did. Made me slow down my eating. I respect that. When I go to Thai restaurants I always have to say "I mean real hot, not gringo-hot". Sometimes they even comply but half the time I have to send it back as too wimpy.

The accepted justification is that spicy as in the capsaicin kind-----stimulates sweating----which cools the body (???)
I am inclined to be cynical------hot peppers of the capsaicin
type FLOURISH and hot climates and by virtue of stimulating
endorphins---also are mildly EUPHORIANT. People in hot
climates need a little "upper"

Did you know that ALL chili peppers come from Mexico? They've been imported all over the world and each group cultivates them to their taste.

well----all from south America----Cortez stole them along with the gold------pepper pollen is very adulterous.......all it takes for
them to produce "love children"----is proximity

Tomatoes were taken to Italy by the Spanish explorers of Peru as were potatoes.

Yes-----the pope has apologized

what are you calling "western"??? is ERITREA "eastern"
on your map? do they drink coffee?-----oh---I found it----they use TEFF and make injera -----sorry-----Indians (I mean the ones from India-----don't) -----the food seems kinda
like Ethiopian

Eritreans have "always" been there? how long is
"always"????-----------when did they invent capsicum?
I am too lazy to seek the answer------what "grain" do they '
use in their cuisine. Tracing grass grains is another good
anthropological indicator. Can you tell me something
about ERITREAN CUISINE? do they use "TEFF"??
Mostly I am interested in their bread
What part of "where humanity started" confused you?

Who told you or said anything about anyone inventing a spice?

Yes they use teff flour in injera which is a very popular dish in Ethiopia and Eritrea.

BTW Yemen has a large Black population. They just dont show them on TV much.

on your map? do they drink coffee?-----oh---I found it----they use TEFF and make injera -----sorry-----Indians (I mean the ones from India-----don't) -----the food seems kinda
like Ethiopian
Western was used as an adjective to describe a certain civilization.

Oh I see you found out about injera. Inidans make a similar bread called naan.

like Ethiopian

Injera's nothing like naan.

I love Ethiopian food. I miss that about living in the North.

like Ethiopian

Yeah it is. Both are flatbreads. Both are used for sopping up.

naan
naan-bread.jpg

injera
injera.jpg

like Ethiopian

Naan is drier, and way thicker. Injera's made to tear easily, thinner and more flexible.. And it's full of air holes.

Love peppers. Grew jalapeños this year. Didn't get many but they were HOT.

Did buy about 5 pounds of fresh green chili that I roasted and froze last weekend. Should be pretty hot as well. Can't wait to try it.

like Ethiopian

Naan is drier, and way thicker. Injera's made to tear easily, thinner and more flexible.. And it's full of air holes.

Depends. Some naan is very moist and similar to injera. The only real difference I have found is the air holes and the taste.

Forum List

Back