Little Sympathy for California Fire Victims

I'm sorry, but if I was ever going to build a ($x??) million dollar home in the hills of California, I THINK I would spend another ten or twenty thousand or so on preventative measures against brush fires.

These fires are an annual event, and not at all surprising. What IS surprising, is how little the homeowners have done to prevent their homes from burning to the ground.

I see these lots along the sculpted streets of SoCal, and all of the homes are burned to the ground. In the back yards of these homes are reflection pools, HUGE swimming pools full of water, that reain after the fires burn out. They build the expensive homes, and the beautiful reflection pools, but they NEVER think ahead, to plumb in a sprinkler system that can DRENCH the home with pool water at the moment the fire wall approaches and burns past the house.

It boggles my mind, to think that any architect would design a home with a 50,000 gallon pool in the yard, and NOT have some way to use that water to fight a fire. We are only talking about a $500.00 Honda gas powered water pump and some steel piping, after all.

Does this make ANY sense?

b60e4ac2-e4be-11e8-9876-950c8650801f_image_hires_180043.jpg

sei_39883479-a13e.jpg
What doesn't make any sense is to reject that the reason for all these fires is climate. Yes, some brush fires have always been annual events, but in the past few years, fires in California have increased 500 percent...due to climate change. Don't go off on a tangent against residents and deny climate change.
Climate change is a hoax. There is Nothing about the climate today that wasn't there 50 or more years ago.

Climate events are getting much more intense.

Climate change: Extreme weather is getting worse in these 20 places
There is no extreme weather in California. It's the ssme today as it was 60 years ago.

Then why is the recovery spending going up?

Climate Change Will Strain Federal Finances

I have a co-working who told me a story about his friend's younger brother that is borderline extremely wealthy and built his dream home in an area stuck by wildfires in Ventura County. Fortunately he had installed a fire suppression system that was like almost $100K. This system made foam that covered the house and his house was saved. Unfortunately almost all other homes and businesses burned to the ground and today it still looks like a war zone. His property value has plummeted, and his wife refused to live there because there is literally nothing there.

It was just a bad place to build his home, and now he knows it.

Such as? If you had lived here like you claimed (ha ha), you'd know that Santa Ana winds will allow fires to jump EIGHT lane highways.

For 40 years, moron. 1971-2011

I know all about the Santa Ana winds, the El Nino and the La Nina, etc. I have ridden out several earthquakes. I have struggled through endless miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic.

You may THINK you are clever by implying that I have not lived there as I have claimed, but that just makes you another one of those idiotic asshole liberals who believes that a FACT can only BE a fact when a liberal believes it.
Nope. Don't believe you.

No.....you know nothing about California wildfires....even with the firemen there, if there isn't a cleared area around the house, fire hoses stop nothing.

Which is WHY I said, the firemen CHOOSE which homes they will save. The choice is made by how much work the homeowner has done prior to the fire, to minimize the fuel directly around the home. Homes that have thick growth around them are left to burn, while homes that have cleared away the fuel from the home's exterior are saved.

STFU until you have something intelligent to add to the conversation.
So you admit...the cleared land is the trick.

I have a co-working who told me a story about his friend's younger brother that is borderline extremely wealthy and built his dream home in an area stuck by wildfires in Ventura County. Fortunately he had installed a fire suppression system that was like almost $100K. This system made foam that covered the house and his house was saved. Unfortunately almost all other homes and businesses burned to the ground and today it still looks like a war zone. His property value has plummeted, and his wife refused to live there because there is literally nothing there.

Hell, if I had that kind of money, I would buy up hundreds of acres of land around my home, and make my own "Ponderosa!"

Unless you have been in such a fire, fleeing for your life and losing all you have, I guess sympathy will always be beyond you.
No...because I have fire insurance...if those assholes were all smart...they would too.
Fire insurance means squat if the whole town burns. Insurance companies declare bankruptcy. It happened in Paradise. Many got NOTHING because there wasn't enough to give. Unless you want to dictate which insurance companies they should buy?
I feel badly for those suffering this fire. Place the blame where it belongs..ON PG&E.
Fire insurance means SOMETHING when MY property burns. I could give two shit about my neighbor or the town.
Something a narcissistic sociopath would say....or a conservative.....which is basically the same thing....

I'm sorry, but if I was ever going to build a ($x??) million dollar home in the hills of California, I THINK I would spend another ten or twenty thousand or so on preventative measures against brush fires.

These fires are an annual event, and not at all surprising. What IS surprising, is how little the homeowners have done to prevent their homes from burning to the ground.

I see these lots along the sculpted streets of SoCal, and all of the homes are burned to the ground. In the back yards of these homes are reflection pools, HUGE swimming pools full of water, that reain after the fires burn out. They build the expensive homes, and the beautiful reflection pools, but they NEVER think ahead, to plumb in a sprinkler system that can DRENCH the home with pool water at the moment the fire wall approaches and burns past the house.

It boggles my mind, to think that any architect would design a home with a 50,000 gallon pool in the yard, and NOT have some way to use that water to fight a fire. We are only talking about a $500.00 Honda gas powered water pump and some steel piping, after all.

sei_39883479-a13e.jpg
What doesn't make any sense is to reject that the reason for all these fires is climate. Yes, some brush fires have always been annual events, but in the past few years, fires in California have increased 500 percent...due to climate change. Don't go off on a tangent against residents and deny climate change.
Climate change is a hoax. There is Nothing about the climate today that wasn't there 50 or more years ago.

You're insane.
Environmentalists sound like this little shit stain all the time... lol

The whole world is affected by climate change, extreme weather all over the place. The climate is dying and we are the ones killing it. To deny climate change is to ignore science. And what's the point, really? Why not take care of the planet whether or not there is such a thing as climate change caused by human actions? It's your home. Do you not take care of your house, where you live and depend on it's security and comfort for you? Why should we destroy the planet? Why not take care of it? Why are you so against taking care of the planet?

Lol
It’s arrogant to think that mankind can change the climate… And it’s fucking ridiculous

Hell, if I had that kind of money, I would buy up hundreds of acres of land around my home, and make my own "Ponderosa!"
Owning land even outright does not mean you have escaped the state.

sei_39883479-a13e.jpg

The fires in Northern California were pushed onward by winds up to 100 mph.

That kind of fire laughs at watering your roof.

I agree- more should be done to prevent and mitigate fires- I am all for making homes more fire-resistant and clearing defensible spaces.

But with the dry conditions and the wind- those would not save most buildings.

I do feel sympathy for the victims of the fires in Calizuela

But I do not feel sympathy....or rather I despise the people like governor Gavin Newsome ....and all the DemonRats ...all of them from Cali.....starting with Pelousy....all down the list

it seems to me that when Calizuela needs more federal money they light another fire.....

it's not the first time either...

and all the money goes to their own pockets... GOD I hope and pray KARMA will get them too
Get professional help. You’re a fucking sicko.

I do feel sympathy for the victims of the fires in Calizuela

But I do not feel sympathy....or rather I despise the people like governor Gavin Newsome ....and all the DemonRats ...all of them from Cali.....starting with Pelousy....all down the list

it seems to me that when Calizuela needs more federal money they light another fire.....

it's not the first time either...

and all the money goes to their own pockets... GOD I hope and pray KARMA will get them too
Interesting...you are accusing California of purposely setting fires.
No, that was a rightwinger from Missouri who flew out to California and set fires.

It’s always the rightwingers.

Hey Esmeralda - I can’t see who you are calling an idiot because whoever it is they’re on my Ignore List. They ended up there by being an idiot, no doubt. Just block these morons. They’re not worth your time or attention.

17EE7F98-4480-440D-B80C-1FE6AC1723E7.jpeg

sei_39883479-a13e.jpg
mother nature used to clear out the underbrush with occassional fires, but CA will not allow the underbrush to be cleared and the underbrush accumulates

sei_39883479-a13e.jpg
well at least their pet Tyrannosaurus Rex survived

The fires in Northern California were pushed onward by winds up to 100 mph.

The wind speed does not matter. The flame of an acetylene torch moves at that speed, but it still will not ignite a brick.

That kind of fire laughs at watering your roof.

Then it is a good thing I was NOT talking about "watering my roof."

I was talking about DRENCHING IT. Inundating it under water. Do you know what that means? It means there is a constant flow of water that completely covers the roof's entire surface, endlessly, while the fire is closest. Not some pissy little stream from a garden hose. A CONTINUOUS FLOOD of water over the roof the entire time it is at risk of ignition.

Sheesh. The reading comprehension skills of most people are so disappointing.

"But KC, it is not possible to move that much water that quickly!"

Tell that to Disneyland.

I agree- more should be done to prevent and mitigate fires- I am all for making homes more fire-resistant and clearing defensible spaces.

But with the dry conditions and the wind- those would not save most buildings.

That is not true at all. It is pointless to install a fire resistant roof tile, if you are going to use CEDAR as facia around the bottom edge of the roof. A home can only be fireproof if the ENTIRE exterior of the home is fireproof. EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT of the home's exterior must be fireproof.

It is pointless to paint your walls with fireproof paint if you are going to install vinyl windows, because the vinyl will melt and catch fire. The windows will fall into the home with the wind and transfer the flames to the home's interior. You cannot have a stucco wall with a length of PVC pipe protruding through it as a vent for your dryer, or large wooden timber sticking out for decorative purposes. The PVC or the timbers will catch fire and bring the flames into the home, regardless of how "fireproof" the stucco walls are.

The only reason homes still burn down is because of the stupidity of those who only make a half-assed effort to fireproof their homes.

Forum List

Back