Living on minimum wage, 50s to present

My two cents...

I empathize with folks making minimum wage every time I go to the grocery store.

Things are expensive, I don't know how people manage.

But, unskilled labor is only worth so much.

Wages cannot be divorced from costs.

Increasing wages means increasing prices...so even if the low wage earner makes more...it will likely as not purchase the same amount...or perhaps less.

A restaurant can only charge so much for a cheeseburger...after that, people don't buy and the business must close...meaning those employees are now making zero.

Those who support increasing minimum wage need to understand that while their goal is lofty...these increases don't occur in a vacuum...for every action, there is a reaction.

Last edited:
Anyone who works for minimum wage their whole life deserves to be poor.

It means they never did anything to better themselves.

My two cents...

I empathize with folks making minimum wage every time I go to the grocery store.

Increasing wages means increasing prices...so even if the low wage earner makes more...it will likely as not purchases the same amount...or perhaps less.

A restaurant can only charge so much for a cheeseburger...after that, people don't buy and the business must close...meaning those employees are now making zero.

Those who support increasing minimum wage need to understand that while their goal is lofty...these increases don't occur in a vacuum...for every action, there is a reaction.

Perhaps so wage increase could come out of that $1.78M profit. Yeah, if it is a Mom and Pop wage will probably increase price but in that case the lowest and highest wage is pretty close, sometimes inverse if the owner cares more about making it than quick cash.

My two cents...

Increasing wages means increasing prices...so even if the low wage earner makes more...it will likely as not purchases the same amount...or perhaps less.

Perhaps so wage increase could come out of that $1.78M profit. Yeah, if it is a Mom and Pop wage will probably increase price but in that case the lowest and highest wage is pretty close, sometimes inverse if the owner cares more about making it than quick cash.

There's more to work than a wage. No amount of money can compensate for a toxic culture. A strong economy is the worker's best friend were there are many employment options.

My two cents...

70% of the jobs created in the U.S. are created by small business...not huge multinational conglomerate corporations...here's the link to Politifact to back that up.

PolitiFact Virginia | Cantor says small businesses create 70 percent of U.S. jobs

Those folks aren't making 1.78M in profits.

But they must make a profit that is worth the risk of giving up the security of working a regular job.

These are the businesses that we should be using as the backdrop for this conversation.

The businesses that employ people at the minimum wage do so because the businesses can't afford to pay more because the products and services that they sell are more or less fixed to the wages they pay. How much can you charge for a burger and fries? or a drink at a bar? or a meal in a truckstop?
If you increase the wages then you increase the price of what you are selling to make up for it and then you lose business and lay people off or close down completely. Businesses have to make a profit or the guy (person) who owns it can't feed his (or her) family or pay the bills at home .
Back when kids were getting $1.25 an hour you could get a burger, fries and a coke for less than a dollar. Now it costs over $10 at the same joint and everything is smaller to boot!

dunno, how much was education, or rent back then? college costs 10x as much as it did in the 50's with inflation accounted for, and the housing bubble means rent is up too; if its so important that society offers you fast food, be prepared to have people earning their place in society from providing you that service. having people prepare food for you is a luxury.

HSPnZ5yRe0qDtYti2EYVAA2.jpg

They do their job, that counts for something.

My two cents...

70% of the jobs created in the U.S. are created by small business...not huge multinational conglomerate corporations...here's the link to Politifact to back that up.

PolitiFact Virginia | Cantor says small businesses create 70 percent of U.S. jobs

But they must make a profit that is worth the risk of giving up the security of working a regular job.

These are the businesses that we should be using as the backdrop for this conversation.
It doesnt seem that small businesses are the problem.

Low-Wage Workers Employed Mostly By Large, Highly Profitable Corporations: Report

My two cents...

If a company has 10 slots to fill and fill those are those new jobs or existing jobs. If a business gets VC funding and hires 50 people and goes out of business in three month are those new jobs?

The businesses that employ people at the minimum wage do so because the businesses can't afford to pay more because the products and services that they sell are more or less fixed to the wages they pay. How much can you charge for a burger and fries? or a drink at a bar? or a meal in a truckstop?
If you increase the wages then you increase the price of what you are selling to make up for it and then you lose business and lay people off or close down completely. Businesses have to make a profit or the guy (person) who owns it can't feed his (or her) family or pay the bills at home .
Back when kids were getting $1.25 an hour you could get a burger, fries and a coke for less than a dollar. Now it costs over $10 at the same joint and everything is smaller to boot!

dunno, how much was education, or rent back then? college costs 10x as much as it did in the 50's with inflation accounted for, and the housing bubble means rent is up too; if its so important that society offers you fast food, be prepared to have people earning their place in society from providing you that service. having people prepare food for you is a luxury.

Low-Wage Workers Employed Mostly By Large, Highly Profitable Corporations: Report

How many of those "corporate" fast food restaurants are franchises owned by small businesses?

That's why you can't trust HuffPo and left leaning studies.

Every chain restaurant where I live is a franchise...IOW, not corporate.

If a company has 10 slots to fill and fill those are those new jobs or existing jobs. If a business gets VC funding and hires 50 people and goes out of business in three month are those new jobs?

Splitting a frog hair five ways does not change the fact that it is a frog hair.

Small business is the engine of job creation in the United States...that is an established fact.

If you wish to argue the basis of the conclusion...that is something you should take up with Politifact.

Last edited:

Splitting a frog hair five ways does not change the fact that it is a frog hair.

Small business is the engine of job creation in the United States...that is an established fact.

If you wish to argue the basis of the conclusion...that is something you should take up with Politifact.

Frog hair, turtle hair it's none of the above. Elections are won and lost on "small business". Whether or not there is any merit to the notion is relevant.

Please, no.

Frog hair, turtle hair it's none of the above. Elections are won and lost on "small business". Whether or not there is any merit to the notion is relevant.

Please, no.

Again, if you question Politifacts conclusions or methodology, that is something to be taken up with Politifact.

Unless you have some proof that there is a flaw in their concussion?

How many of those "corporate" fast food restaurants are franchises owned by small businesses?
That's why you can't trust HuffPo and left leaning studies.
Every chain restaurant where I live is a franchise...IOW, not corporate.

You've only posed an empty assertion as a question, but thats enough for me to derive your argument; that the corporate superstructure is entitled to whatever it feels like squeezing out of franchisees, even at the expense of its workers being able to make ends meet. This is why we need unions, people forget that there are zero profits if no one shows up to flip the burgers, move the boxes and harvest the crops.

The core mandate of minimum wage laws falls on the wage earners. If they can't persuade someone to pay them the minimum wage, they're not allowed to work.

Last edited:
The core mandate of minimum wage laws falls on the wage earners. If they can't persuade someone to pay them the minimum wage, they're not allowed to work.

I think most people think of this perspective as sophistry. It's not. It's a sober assessment of the actual impact of the law.

If a company doesnt need a worker, $0 is still cheaper than minimum wage, so if you raise minimum wage, you dont cause unemployment.

Forum List

Back