Liz Cheney: The U.S. Is ‘Sleepwalking Into Dictatorship’

Trump has "told us what he will do," the Republican former congresswoman said in preview clips from an interview.

Liz Cheney, the former Republican representative from Wyoming, expressed deep concern in an interview about American democracy’s ability to survive another four-year presidential term for Donald Trump.

In clips shared Friday from the interview that will air on “CBS News Sunday Morning,” Cheney told host Josh Dickerson that Americans can’t entirely rely on Congress and the judicial system to rein in Trump ― the clear front-runner at this point for the GOP presidential nomination despite facing 91 felony charges linked to his 2016 campaign, his 2020 reelection loss and his mishandling of classified documents.

“He’s told us what he will do. It’s very easy to see the steps that he will take,” Cheney said.

“People who say ‘Well, if he’s elected, it’s not that dangerous because we have all of these checks and balances’ don’t fully understand the extent to which the Republicans in Congress today have been co-opted. … One of the things that we see happening today is a sort of a sleepwalking into dictatorship in the United States.”

Johnson was one of the biggest cheerleaders of Trump’s ill-fated attempt to claim victory in the 2020 election won by Joe Biden. Shortly after the election, Johnson led an amicus brief backing a Texas lawsuit asking the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the vote.

Cheney raised similar concerns about Johnson during a podcast appearance last month.

In a quote from the interview released by CBS News, Cheney slammed newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) as someone who “knows ... that what he’s doing and saying is wrong, but he’s willing to do it in an effort to please Donald Trump.”

I totally agree! It's a scary and dangerous path that we're on! What do you think?

You said orange man had no chance to ever be elected again.

The possibility of a reactionary populist Trump victory introducing first authoritarian rule, then eventually a de facto dictatorship … is real. It is not certain, but it is certainly a genuine threat.

Trump has said as much when he suggested that Americans consider it may be necessary to suspend our laws and even our Constitution … presumably “temporarily.” He has made clear also his attraction to and envy of dictators like Putin and XiJinping.
Nonsense

Trump has "told us what he will do," the Republican former congresswoman said in preview clips from an interview.

Liz Cheney, the former Republican representative from Wyoming, expressed deep concern in an interview about American democracy’s ability to survive another four-year presidential term for Donald Trump.

In clips shared Friday from the interview that will air on “CBS News Sunday Morning,” Cheney told host Josh Dickerson that Americans can’t entirely rely on Congress and the judicial system to rein in Trump ― the clear front-runner at this point for the GOP presidential nomination despite facing 91 felony charges linked to his 2016 campaign, his 2020 reelection loss and his mishandling of classified documents.

“He’s told us what he will do. It’s very easy to see the steps that he will take,” Cheney said.

“People who say ‘Well, if he’s elected, it’s not that dangerous because we have all of these checks and balances’ don’t fully understand the extent to which the Republicans in Congress today have been co-opted. … One of the things that we see happening today is a sort of a sleepwalking into dictatorship in the United States.”

Johnson was one of the biggest cheerleaders of Trump’s ill-fated attempt to claim victory in the 2020 election won by Joe Biden. Shortly after the election, Johnson led an amicus brief backing a Texas lawsuit asking the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the vote.

Cheney raised similar concerns about Johnson during a podcast appearance last month.

In a quote from the interview released by CBS News, Cheney slammed newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) as someone who “knows ... that what he’s doing and saying is wrong, but he’s willing to do it in an effort to please Donald Trump.”

I totally agree! It's a scary and dangerous path that we're on! What do you think?

iIuWwOM.png

Democrats are in panic mode.
I don’t know about Democrats in general, but I have long thought the U.S. could easily end up with a crackpot “America First” dictator.

Yet I remain both a republican and a true democrat — with a small “r” and a small “d” — who hopes our nation can once again prove my fears and H.L. Mencken’s dark humor …wrong. Here is how he put it:

“Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses.

“Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Last edited:
For your viewing pleasure:

Liz Cheney on Rachel Maddow tonight.

Liz Cheney on Nicolle Wallace tomorrow night.

I don’t know about Democrats in general, but I have long thought the U.S. could easily end up with a crackpot “America First” dictator.

Yet I remain both a republican and a true democrat — with a small “r” and a small “d” — who hopes our nation can once again prove my fears and H.L. Mencken’s dark humor …wrong. Here is how he put it:

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
We're there.

The Dems gotta come out with their warning and get real. Multiracial, multicultural democracy is at high risk

Liz Cheney, the former Republican representative from Wyoming, expressed deep concern in an interview about American democracy’s ability to survive another four-year presidential term for Donald Trump….
Poor Liz. She can’t get over being rejected by the voters of Wyoming.

Forum List

Back