Lois Lerner to take the 5th. Again.

And I have little problem with how they financed the Interstate System. A consumption tax on the people who USED the highways made total sense. You weren't asking one group to subsidize another. You were taxing the ones who drove and not taxing those who did not. How much fairer can you get?

The Gasoline tax didn't fund nearly the whole thing.

They took the 93 top marginal rates that funded WWII and Korea and diverted them to infrastructure..

And frankly, guy, I always wonder why you Wingnuts like taxing the fuck out of working folks while giving the rich a pass. I mean other than your unatainable fantasies about being rich someday yourselves, I just don't get this.

"The money for the Interstate Highway and Defense Highways was handled in a Highway Trust Fund that paid for 90 percent of highway construction costs with the states required to pay the remaining 10 percent. It was expected that the money would be generated through new taxes on fuel, automobiles, trucks, and tires. As a matter of practice, the Federal portion of the cost of the Interstate Highway System has been paid for by taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel." Wikipedia

Gee, Joe...are you going to be wrong about everything TODAY like you were about everything YESTERDAY? This is embarrassing to watch...

And I have little problem with how they financed the Interstate System. A consumption tax on the people who USED the highways made total sense. You weren't asking one group to subsidize another. You were taxing the ones who drove and not taxing those who did not. How much fairer can you get?

The Gasoline tax didn't fund nearly the whole thing.

They took the 93 top marginal rates that funded WWII and Korea and diverted them to infrastructure..

And frankly, guy, I always wonder why you Wingnuts like taxing the fuck out of working folks while giving the rich a pass. I mean other than your unatainable fantasies about being rich someday yourselves, I just don't get this.

"The money for the Interstate Highway and Defense Highways was handled in a Highway Trust Fund that paid for 90 percent of highway construction costs with the states required to pay the remaining 10 percent. It was expected that the money would be generated through new taxes on fuel, automobiles, trucks, and tires. As a matter of practice, the Federal portion of the cost of the Interstate Highway System has been paid for by taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel." Wikipedia

Gee, Joe...are you going to be wrong about everything TODAY like you were about everything YESTERDAY? This is embarrassing to watch...

Look, another unsourced link....

YOu do get that all that money up front did not come from gas taxes of a couple cents a gallon, right?

Oh, found your source, it's Wiki....

WHich also said.

The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act (Public Law 84-627), was enacted on June 29, 1956, when Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law. With an original authorization of 25 billion dollars for the construction of 41,000 miles (66,000 km) of the Interstate Highway System supposedly over a 10-year period, it was the largest public works project in American history through that time.[1]

That initial 25 Billion did not come from gas taxes.

[

You may not like their politics but none of those three were idiots like we've had under Barry. Joe Biden's having a good day if he doesn't drool on himself. Timmy Geithner couldn't figure out Turbo Tax! Kathleen Sebelius oversaw the ObamaCare roll out! Eric Holder didn't know Fast & Furious was walking guns! Jay Carney has been caught in so many lies that White House Press briefings have become farce. Hilary was so worried about appearances that she sacrificed a US Ambassador. Susan Rice either lied for Hilary and Barry or was so stupid she didn't know she was being used by them.

What we've gotten from Barack Obama were appointees who matched his progressive ideals...unfortunately for the country...they also matched his level of incompetence.

:

again, guy...

IRaq
Katrina
the 2008 Recession.

Obama hasn't had fuck ups nearly on the scale of those.

"Oh, i had a hard time logging onto the website. This is even worse than when my son came home in a body bag from Iraq, or my uncle drowned in NOLA because they couldn't get a helicopter to him in time!"

NOt thrilled with some things Obama has done, but frankly, he hasn't fucked up things nearly to the degree Bush did.

Katrina? Sorry, Joe but the people that fucked up the worst when Katrina hit New Orleans were the Mayor of that city, Ray Nagin and the Governor of Louisiana...both Democrats. Bush took hits because the Feds were unable to undo the mess that both of them made of that situation. Ray Nagin was both incompetent AND corrupt! He's been convicted on 20 counts of corruption for extorting money from businesses following Katrina and filing false tax returns.

Oh, found your source, it's Wiki....

WHich also said.

The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act (Public Law 84-627), was enacted on June 29, 1956, when Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law. With an original authorization of 25 billion dollars for the construction of 41,000 miles (66,000 km) of the Interstate Highway System supposedly over a 10-year period, it was the largest public works project in American history through that time.[1]

That initial 25 Billion did not come from gas taxes.

Did construction of the Interstate System contribute to the national debt?

President Eisenhower insisted that the financing mechanism for the Interstate System be "self-liquidating," so that it could not add to the national debt. The president favored a toll highway network financed by bonds, but his aides convinced him that traffic volumes would not generate enough revenue in most corridors to repay bondholders with interest. Therefore, the plan the President submitted to Congress called for establishment of a Federal Highway Corporation to issue bonds to pay for the Interstate System up-front, with the Federal excise tax on gasoline and lubricating oil (which then went to the general Treasury without a linkage to highways) was dedicated to bond retirement. Congress rejected this plan, but adopted a proposal to finance the Interstate System on a pay-as-you-go basis with revenue from highway user taxes. The revenue was credited by the Department of the Treasury to the Highway Trust Fund established under the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956.

"The Interstate Construction Program, like the Federal-aid highway program of which it is a part, operates on a reimbursement basis. After FHWA authorizes a State to proceed with a project, the State pays the bills for eligible activities, and then submits bills to the FHWA, which reimburses the State for the Federal share. The FHWA makes a commitment (or "obligation") to reimburse the Federal share, but Interstate development takes several years. As a result, the FHWA obligation results in reimbursements to the State for the Federal share over several years. The 1956 Act included a provision named after Senator Harry Flood Byrd (D-VA), the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, to ensure the Highway Trust Fund would contain enough money to pay the bills. If sufficient funds are not available, the program must be reduced administratively in proportion to the imbalance.

The Highway Trust Fund financing mechanism established in the 1956 Act satisfied President Eisenhower's "self-liquidating" demand. As a result, construction of the Interstate System did not contribute to a Federal deficit."

Eisenhower Interstate Highway System -Frequently Asked Questions

LOL...you were saying?:lol::lol::lol:

The "up front" money came from bonds that were then paid for by those taxes on gasoline, diesel fuel, tires and vehicles. You're starting off today as badly as you performed yesterday, Joe! You might want to go get a big cup of coffee and try and regroup...because right now you're FLAILING!

Last edited:
For a guy who calls himself an "Eisenhower Republican!" you sure don't seem to know much about what the man did...just saying...

[

Katrina? Sorry, Joe but the people that fucked up the worst when Katrina hit New Orleans were the Mayor of that city, Ray Nagin and the Governor of Louisiana...both Democrats. Bush took hits because the Feds were unable to undo the mess that both of them made of that situation. Ray Nagin was both incompetent AND corrupt! He's been convicted on 20 counts of corruption for extorting money from businesses following Katrina and filing false tax returns.

Uh, gee, Guy, i like this thinking here... So if someone fucks something up, then you are completely absolved of all responsibility when you fail to fix it, eh? Does this rule only apply to white people?

Point was, BUsh appointed a guy to run FEMA whose only experience was running horse shows. He filled FEMA with hacks and lackeys, and not surprisingly, when the levy's broke they had no clue how to handle it.

The "up front" money came from bonds that were then paid for by those taxes on gasoline, diesel fuel, tires and vehicles. You're starting off today as badly as you performed yesterday, Joe! You might want to go get a big cup of coffee and try and regroup...because right now you're FLAILING!

Guy, it was 25 BILLION in 1954 dollars. That would be $218 BILLION in 2014 dollars.

No, they really did take that money from the 93% tax rate rich assholes were paying back then.

[

l:

NO, guy, that wasn't the question, and you know it.

I didn't ask if it was paid for with debt. (Incidently, the debt DID go down between 1945 and 1954, mostly because they kept those WWII tax rates in place.)

The government had plenty of revenue because the rich paid their fair share. ANd Ike said, "Hey, you know what we need, a first class highway system!"

WHat he didn't say was, "Gosh darn, those rich people don't have enough Dressage Horses!"

IN fact, when JFK proposed cutting the top marginal rate from 93% to 70%, REPUBLICANS called that irresponsible.

[

l:

NO, guy, that wasn't the question, and you know it.

I didn't ask if it was paid for with debt. (Incidently, the debt DID go down between 1945 and 1954, mostly because they kept those WWII tax rates in place.)

The government had plenty of revenue because the rich paid their fair share. ANd Ike said, "Hey, you know what we need, a first class highway system!"

WHat he didn't say was, "Gosh darn, those rich people don't have enough Dressage Horses!"

IN fact, when JFK proposed cutting the top marginal rate from 93% to 70%, REPUBLICANS called that irresponsible.

Actually JFK intially proposed dropping it to 65% but due to size of his budget Republicans were against it as well as Dems, seeing as they were the majority party and it didn't pass. LBJ came to an agreement of dropping it to 70% as well as decreasing the budget more, thus it was finally passed with support from both sides of the aisle.

Initial estimates predicted a loss of revenue as a result of the tax cuts, however, tax revenue increased in 1964 and 1965.

You are free to wonder, and she has a right to do so.

And we have a right to fire her for doing so.
Obama promised this administration would be the most open and accountable ever.
And he is a BULL SHITTER.
He is her boss. He needs to demand she testifies and if she does not she has that right.
Then she should be fired.
That is what a President that claims to be accountable to the public does.
"There is no corruption in the IRS" Obama
Please, there is a cover up in the IRS. Otherwise why would she not testify?

Amazing the dumb asses comparing tax rates from 60 years ago to now.
These are the same union fools that refused to acknowledge the WORLD ECONOMY and that if you keep paying a low skilled worker $65,000 a year with pay and benefits THE JOB LEAVES and goes into the world market.
Same with PEOPLE.
Tax them at 90% AND THEY LEAVE.
Already happening.

He is her boss. He needs to demand she testifies and if she does not she has that right.
She has actually retired.

[

Uh, gee, Guy, i like this thinking here... So if someone fucks something up, then you are completely absolved of all responsibility when you fail to fix it, eh? Does this rule only apply to white people?

Point was, BUsh appointed a guy to run FEMA whose only experience was running horse shows. He filled FEMA with hacks and lackeys, and not surprisingly, when the levy's broke they had no clue how to handle it.

FEMA's role in hurricanes isn't to be there immediately to rescue residents. You'd know that if you lived in a hurricane prone area. I've been through about a dozen big ones and the "drill" is always the same...if you choose not to evacuate then it's YOUR responsibility to put up enough food and water to last you until help arrives. New Orleans turned into a hell hole because the LOCALS dropped the ball on evacuating the city...and in being prepared to survive until FEMA could move in to help. Those local idiots ran out of water and food the day after the storm hit and then shot at helicopters that were trying to bring them supplies! You can't TEACH that kind of stupid!

Liberals like you like to blame FEMA for Katrina but the truth is FEMA worked great in big storms everywhere else but New Orleans because everywhere else but New Orleans did the right things in preparing for storms. It appears that Ray Nagin was more interested in helping himself to a profit from New Orleans' misfortune than he was in helping the people of New Orleans. Oh, I'm sorry...is that "racist" to point out how sleazy Nagin was because he's black? Let me be quite clear about what I think should happen to public officials who use their office to make money while the people they are supposed to be serving suffer...I think Ray Nagin should go to prison for a long...long time! What HE did in New Orleans was despicable.

Guy, it was 25 BILLION in 1954 dollars. That would be $218 BILLION in 2014 dollars.

No, they really did take that money from the 93% tax rate rich assholes were paying back then.

No, they really DIDN'T take the money from the 93% tax rate rich people were paying! You obviously can't read because the article I cited explains quite clearly that Ike's highway project was budget neutral...it didn't cost the US Government money because it was paid for by those taxes on gasoline, diesel fuel, tires and vehicles sold. The "up front" money was raised by selling bonds...which were then paid off using those taxes.

I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, Joe but even YOU should be able to grasp this...

As I've already explained, the reason she wont' testify is she doesn't want to be Cap Weinberger getting prosecuted for not thinking his notes were a diary or Scooter Libby for not remembering a conversation the way Tim Russert remembered it.

It's always the low-level bit players who end up getting prosecuted for tangental bullshit in these washington scandals.

Incidently, she has already quit her job, so it's not like "you'd better testify or else!"

No, they really DIDN'T take the money from the 93% tax rate rich people were paying! You obviously can't read because the article I cited explains quite clearly that Ike's highway project was budget neutral...it didn't cost the US Government money because it was paid for by those taxes on gasoline, diesel fuel, tires and vehicles sold. The "up front" money was raised by selling bonds...which were then paid off using those taxes.

I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, Joe but even YOU should be able to grasp this...

Guy, there's no such things as "budget Nuetral".

Now, I know you want to pretend that rich people didn't pay for our highways, because gosh darn, the poor darlings just don't have enough, but that's pretty much what happened.

Forum List

Back