LOL - Can't buy a pet in San Fransisco

Maybe if pet stores stopped buying from puppy mills, this wouldn't even be a topic for discussion.

Buying A Puppy : The Humane Society of the United States

In 1979, I bought a Cocker Spaniel puppy from a pet store at a mall because he was so adorable and spaniels had been my family's choice of dog for many years. He was all ears, cute and wiggly, of course. The store gave me a piece of paper saying he had had all his puppy shots and came from good, healthy stock so I shouldn't worry about any genetic problem. I'd had the dog for only 3 months when one of his hips slipped out of its socket (dysplasia), which IS a genetic problem. Of course the pet store said they would "replace" him at no charge (like you'd "replace" a pet rock). I wound up paying $500 for the operation, but the dog never walked correctly from then on. He finally developed arthritis in both hips so bad that he had to be carried, which is when I had to have him put down.

Maybe if pet stores stopped buying from puppy mills, this wouldn't even be a topic for discussion.

In 1979, I bought a Cocker Spaniel puppy from a pet store at a mall because he was so adorable and spaniels had been my family's choice of dog for many years. He was all ears, cute and wiggly, of course. The store gave me a piece of paper saying he had had all his puppy shots and came from good, healthy stock so I shouldn't worry about any genetic problem. I'd had the dog for only 3 months when one of his hips slipped out of its socket (dysplasia), which IS a genetic problem. Of course the pet store said they would "replace" him at no charge (like you'd "replace" a pet rock). I wound up paying $500 for the operation, but the dog never walked correctly from then on. He finally developed arthritis in both hips so bad that he had to be carried, which is when I had to have him put down.

I have no problem with businesses being regulated. I have a HUGE problem with businesses being outlawed.

Can't buy a pet in San Francisco? That's just like the rest of the city, i.e., pretty queer.

Most likely, they were on the legal pot themselves. I mean, really, think about it. Only someone who is that baked could think of such a wacky law.

Just think, the city is out of money and this is the crap that they listen to, debate over and make laws about. Don't you think city government would have something better to do with its time and money?

Here in NM the pet stores have not sold dogs and cats for several years. Instead many of them have adoption clinics a few times a month,where different organizations bring in pets that need good homes. The pet stores are still free to sell other animals,such as birds,turtles,gerbils and mice etc. If folks here want certain breeds (instead of the typlical multi breed dogs in shelters),they are usually bought from outside individuals, but many of these types of places do continue to be shut down due to poor care etc..

I like the idea of adoptions clinics better than outlawing pet shops from selling certain animals all together though.

Last edited:

Here in NM the pet stores have not sold dogs and cats for several years. Instead many of them have adoption clinics a few times a month,where different organizations bring in pets that need good homes. The pet stores are still free to sell other animals,such as birds,turtles,gerbils and mice etc. If folks here want certain breeds (instead of the typlical multi breed dogs in shelters),they are usually bought from outside individuals, but many of these types of places do continue to be shut down due to poor care etc..

I like the idea of adoptions clinics better than outlawing pet shops from selling certain animals all together though.

That's the way they do around here to, one day a week they have kittens at our local pet store and one day a week they have dogs. All from shelters.

I guess you idiots have never looked into the breeding for money of animals.

Yes, numb nut I have. I have fostered several animals saved from breeders that were shut down by the state. In fact I even adopted one of them. :rolleyes:

Guess I don't care. Go bust those people who are breaking current law, don't tell me I can't buy a fucking animal if I want.

You still can fool, you can get one from a shelter.

Do you have nay idea how many animals are put down each year?

About the same amount as breeders produce for money.

No more breeding for money and dogs and cats would not be treated like vermin to be extiguished.

You could still breed but would have to give your animals away to good homes instead of SELLING them.

Guess I don't care. Go bust those people who are breaking current law, don't tell me I can't buy a fucking animal if I want.

You still can fool, you can get one from a shelter.

Do you have nay idea how many animals are put down each year?

About the same amount as breeders produce for money.

No more breeding for money and dogs and cats would not be treated like vermin to be extiguished.

You could still breed but would have to give your animals away to good homes instead of SELLING them.

Agreed, however

Why should city government have any say in what a store sells or what people can buy? If you can get an animal from the SPCA why cant you get one from a private store?

I did, but it just turned into too big of a fucking mess in my house. You wouldn't believe the amount of shit that can come out of a litter of puppies. But the cash was good. :lol:

Forum List

Back