Long gun

Long rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The long rifle, also known as longrifle, Kentucky rifle, or Pennsylvania rifle, was one of the first commonly used rifles for hunting and warfare.[1] It is characterized by an unusually long barrel, which is widely believed to be a largely unique development of American rifles that was uncommon in European rifles of the same period.

The term predates the founding of the United States

You should have known this from history class. Do you hate America so much that you blank on basic history?
Long rifle is a specific weapon. Long gun is a PC term for assault weapons.
Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Germans were the first to pioneer the assault rifle concept, during World War II, based upon research that showed that most firefights happen within 400 metres (1,300 ft) and that contemporary rifles were over-powered for most small arms combat.[6][7][8][9][10] They sought to develop a select-fire intermediate powered rifle combining the firepower of a submachine gun with the accuracy and range of a rifle.[6][7][8][9][10] This was done by shortening the standard 7.92×57mm cartridge to 7.92×33mm and giving it a lighter 125 grain bullet, that limited range but allowed for more controllable automatic fire.[7][8][9][10][11]A smaller, lighter cartridge also allowed soldiers to carry more ammunition "to support the higher consumption rate of automatic fire."[6]

in your defense, that's HS level history and the hate you have for America had to be really high by that time.
What has that to do with me proving you wrong about long RIFLES?

But you don't seem to know that there is no difference between "assault" rifles and any other semi auto rifle
If they are used for assault, they are assault rifles. That's a different discussion, though. Why does the media toss around "long gun" instead of labeling the weapons for what they are?

If they are used for assault, they are assault rifles.

If a ball bat is used to bash someones head in, is it an assault bat, as opposed to a game bat?

If someone uses a kitchen knife to kill someone, does that make it an assault knife?

The term 'long gun' has been used for a very long time to describe any type of shoulder fired weapon, at least in my part of the country. A shotgun can be a 'long gun'. Those types of weapons which are NOT 'long guns' are pistols, revolvers, derringers, etc. I have been hearing the term 'long guns' ever since I can remember. My father referred to them as 'long guns' as well. Go to the largest gun show in Oklahoma and you'll hear the term 'long gun' to describe anything that is a shoulder fired weapon. It may have originally started to refer to the Kentucky long rifle, but I'm not sure about that.

No one really understands what liberals mean when they talk of 'assault rifles.' Under their definitions, an M1 Garand would be classified as an assault rifle. The Ruger Mini-14 shown above and below the picture of the AR-15 would be classified by liberals as an assault rifle. The AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14 will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. I have both of them, both with scopes and both with larger magazines than they came with. The Mini-14 is in the gun safe in the house. It was my dad's and I keep it because it belonged to him. The AR-15 I bought and had modified by a gun smith, it's locked in my pickup truck and I carry it every where I go. Just as I carry my Colt Double-Eagle in a shoulder-holster under my jacket.

"If they are used for assault, they are assault rifles..." That's just one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. The simple fact is, liberals want to CONTROL every aspect of your life from how much salt or sugar you can eat to whether you can buy a gun to what information they want you to consume. Thanks, but they go suck an egg...

The long rifle, also known as longrifle, Kentucky rifle, or Pennsylvania rifle, was one of the first commonly used rifles for hunting and warfare.[1] It is characterized by an unusually long barrel, which is widely believed to be a largely unique development of American rifles that was uncommon in European rifles of the same period.

You should have known this from history class. Do you hate America so much that you blank on basic history?

The Germans were the first to pioneer the assault rifle concept, during World War II, based upon research that showed that most firefights happen within 400 metres (1,300 ft) and that contemporary rifles were over-powered for most small arms combat.[6][7][8][9][10] They sought to develop a select-fire intermediate powered rifle combining the firepower of a submachine gun with the accuracy and range of a rifle.[6][7][8][9][10] This was done by shortening the standard 7.92×57mm cartridge to 7.92×33mm and giving it a lighter 125 grain bullet, that limited range but allowed for more controllable automatic fire.[7][8][9][10][11]A smaller, lighter cartridge also allowed soldiers to carry more ammunition "to support the higher consumption rate of automatic fire."[6]

in your defense, that's HS level history and the hate you have for America had to be really high by that time.

But you don't seem to know that there is no difference between "assault" rifles and any other semi auto rifle
If they are used for assault, they are assault rifles. That's a different discussion, though. Why does the media toss around "long gun" instead of labeling the weapons for what they are?

No sorry

a so called assault rifle is a mock up of a military style weapon
IOW it's nothing more than an average everyday semi auto with some cosmetic doo dads on it

A long gun is a generic term for a rifle or a shotgun the cops obviously didn't know what kind of guns were used so instead of saying an AR15, AK47 etc the generic term was used

Any idiot should be able to figure that out

These are rocks
stones.jpg

They are using assault rocks
23392_0.jpg

Is that the PC term for assault weapon? I hear it a lot lately and it seems to be used for everything from a rifle to a machine gun.
No, that term was used long before leftist started to get offended by the word 'assault'.

but you people are so easily harmed by words it affects your memory as well
I've only heard it recently. Please provide a link.

And wtf are you saying assault is cool?

Surely you're not being serious.

Because they didnt know if they were AKs,ARs or even a shotgun.
Long gun is the generic term for rifles and shotguns.
And has been for a very long time.

Long gun.

Long gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A long gun is a category of firearms and cannons with longer barrels than other classes. In small arms, a long gun is generally designed to be fired braced against the shoulder, in contrast to a handgun, but may include mounted firearms such as the M1919 Browning Machine Gun while in artillery a long gun would be contrasted with a howitzer or carronade

When I think of a long gun I think of a rifle or a Barrett M82. Long guns.
Ravi rejects your reality and substitutes her own

:roll eyes: rocks, bats, etc. aren't manufactured to kill.

Really?

I've owned firearms for over 50 years, and so far all they've killed are some tin cans, and a lot of paper targets.

Is that the PC term for assault weapon? I hear it a lot lately and it seems to be used for everything from a rifle to a machine gun.
No, that term was used long before leftist started to get offended by the word 'assault'.

Actually has been in use for a long time, to differantiate between a rifle and a pistol. Until they had more information, the police did not know for sure whether the shooters were using assault weapons or not. But they knew that the were rifles.

The 'Conservatives' do not like the term assault weapon because it points out the fact that these weapons are designed for killing human beings, and have no other purpose.

:rolleyes: rocks, bats, etc. aren't manufactured to kill.

exactly.. those items have other lawful purposes.

Gun Ownership Rights Under Heller | Nolo.com

In April, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in Chicago said that, under Heller, assault weapons may be banned in the interest of protecting public safety. By a 2-to-1 vote, a panel of the Seventh Circuit upheld a ban imposed in 2013 by the Illinois city of Highland Park, which acted in response to the December 2012 elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn. The Newtown killer used a legally acquired large-capacity assault rifle known as an AR-15.

Heller did not establish a right to keep any weapon for any purpose, Judge Frank Easterbrook wrote for the majority on the three-judge panel. The Supreme Court did not question long-standing federal bans on fully automatic machine guns and sawed-off shotguns, which have no legitimate purpose in the hands of civilians, he added. The question, said Easterbrook, is: "Where does the balance of danger lie?"

To answer that query, Easterbrook examined whether the Highland Park ban affected weapons common at the time of the ratification of the Second Amendment (no) and whether law-abiding citizens retained other "adequate means of self-defense" (yes). "A ban on assault weapons won't eliminate gun violence in Highland Park, but it may reduce the overall dangerousness of crime that does occur," the judge said.

If Hillary Clinton Bans Assault Weapons, Would It Be Constitutional?

Actually has been in use for a long time, to differantiate between a rifle and a pistol. Until they had more information, the police did not know for sure whether the shooters were using assault weapons or not. But they knew that the were rifles.

The 'Conservatives' do not like the term assault weapon because it points out the fact that these weapons are designed for killing human beings, and have no other purpose.

They don't?

I use mine to shoot tin cans and paper targets.

The majority of those sold are used for the same, or similar, purpose.

Forum List

Back