Majority of Americans Say It Not the Government's Responsibility to Insure Everyone

When Taiwan–another country with a strong free-market economy–decided to create a new health care system in the mid-1990s, it studied every existing model. It too chose a model of universal access and universal insurance but decided against having several private insurers, as Switzerland and the U.S. do. Instead it created a single insurer, basically a version of Medicare. The result: universal access and high-quality care at stunningly low costs. Taiwan spends only 7% of its GDP on health care.

Health Insurance is for Everyone | Fareed Zakaria

In Taiwan everyone's health insurance is paid for by the government. Each healthcare provider has a machine that records every person's healthcare transactions and records them on a central data base. The 5% of the people who account for 50% of the healthcare costs are then targeted to receive counseling and special attention to help them get healthier. This approach has worked well to bring down healthcare costs for everyone.

Cory Booker used this same idea in Newark, and it brought down healthcare costs there as well.

Taiwan pays 7% of their GDP for healthcare. We pay 17%.

The problem NHS has in the UK IS TORIES UNDERFUNDING IT...SAME AS WE'RE HAVING WITH ACA. The Tories run second to Pubs for greedy idiocy...

NHS charging and rationing 'may be needed'

BBC News - NHS charging and rationing 'may be needed'

By Nick Triggle
Health correspondent, BBC News
4 July 2012 Last updated at 01:16

The Institute for Fiscal Studies says the coming years will be the toughest since the early 1950s when dental and prescription fees were introduced.

Other measures, including tax rises, could also form part of the solution.

The NHS alone accounts for nearly a quarter of public spending.

If that's the result of underfunding it, I hate to see how much more NHS consumed public spending BEFORE the cuts.

No, the majority of Americans believe people should take responsibility for their own lives. I know to Libtards this is a alien concept, but it truly is what built America.

Again, the rich get everything and the poor get screwed, as always.

Work harder and smarter. Get a education. It worked for me, and I am very comfortable. Stop blaming successful people for your own lack of success. This is America...the land of opportunity. You can do it if you really want. :)

When it comes to one's health, it is very easy to become so ill that you can no longer work. Next you lose your insurance, and then you lose access to the best care. Along the way, you lose your home and everything you ever worked for. While it is true that some people choose to live lifestyles that may contribute to their becoming ill, many people get cancer just because they drew the short stick. It's just pure luck. It's very easy to talk about how you made it and have done so well for yourself, but you've never been really sick. Until you travel down that path, it really is difficult to understand. Insuring that everyone has access to affordable healthcare can prevent people from losing everything they have worked for. Healthcare should not just be for those who can afford it because they have not yet become sick.

Now is that a liberal view? Probably, but when it comes to healthcare, call me a liberal. Insuring the health of everyone in our society is just the right thing to do. By doing so, everyone has that much better of a chance at becoming successful in whatever it is they choose to do. It's not about taking from one person to give to another. It's about seeing to it that everyone has a fair shake at things. As a society, we have gone down the shitter over the past four decades. All anyone really cares about is themselves anymore. Very few really are concerned if their communities thrive, so long as it does not affect them personally. The greed can only go so far before there is a true backlash. I believe we are at the breaking point.

The problem NHS has in the UK IS TORIES UNDERFUNDING IT...SAME AS WE'RE HAVING WITH ACA. The Tories run second to Pubs for greedy idiocy...

By Nick Triggle

The Institute for Fiscal Studies says the coming years will be the toughest since the early 1950s when dental and prescription fees were introduced.

If that's the result of underfunding it, I hate to see how much more NHS consumed public spending BEFORE the cuts.

You do realize that the NHS only accounts for 8% of total GDP and that when private spending on healthcare is added to GDP, the UK still only spends 10% of GDP on total healthcare? We, on the other hand, are at about 18%. As for the bottom line, they live just as long as we do, so we really need to ask a serious question; what the fuck are we doing wrong?

I have to agree with Naomi on some of the things she said.

Although, health care is not a right, it's a service. If every doctor quit tomorrow then no one could receive health care. That, by definition, makes it a service that someone has to provide.

To Noomi's point though; the rich get all of the nice things that I wish I could have, but they have the money to get those things and I don't. I have no problem with that, but health care should absolutely not be thrown in that mix. People should not have to live with pain and suffering just because they are not rich.

And don't think it would stay just the poor with bad health care. The way the cost of health care has been rising in this country, it wouldn't be long before even the middle class would be left out in the cold.

The rich can have their cars, houses, and yachts. But health care should not be a luxury.

Work harder and smarter. Get a education. It worked for me, and I am very comfortable. Stop blaming successful people for your own lack of success. This is America...the land of opportunity. You can do it if you really want. :)

When it comes to one's health, it is very easy to become so ill that you can no longer work. Next you lose your insurance, and then you lose access to the best care. Along the way, you lose your home and everything you ever worked for. While it is true that some people choose to live lifestyles that may contribute to their becoming ill, many people get cancer just because they drew the short stick. It's just pure luck. It's very easy to talk about how you made it and have done so well for yourself, but you've never been really sick. Until you travel down that path, it really is difficult to understand. Insuring that everyone has access to affordable healthcare can prevent people from losing everything they have worked for. Healthcare should not just be for those who can afford it because they have not yet become sick.

Now is that a liberal view? Probably, but when it comes to healthcare, call me a liberal. Insuring the health of everyone in our society is just the right thing to do. By doing so, everyone has that much better of a chance at becoming successful in whatever it is they choose to do. It's not about taking from one person to give to another. It's about seeing to it that everyone has a fair shake at things. As a society, we have gone down the shitter over the past four decades. All anyone really cares about is themselves anymore. Very few really are concerned if their communities thrive, so long as it does not affect them personally. The greed can only go so far before there is a true backlash. I believe we are at the breaking point.

I don't necessarily have a problem with universal health care if it is done properly. We have both discussed this before, and our ideas are in general agreement. Unfortunately, I am not convinced either political party is looking out for your and me nearly as much as they are the insurance companies and big pharma. Hence, the problem.

francoHFW completely shattered WQ's arguments, which are based on a false understanding of how American government works.

francoHFW completely shattered WQ's arguments, which are based on a false understanding of how American government works.

Could you please point out anything Franco said that wasn't hater dupes. None of his points are well laid out or based on facts.

By Nick Triggle

You do realize that the NHS only accounts for 8% of total GDP and that when private spending on healthcare is added to GDP, the UK still only spends 10% of GDP on total healthcare? We, on the other hand, are at about 18%. As for the bottom line, they live just as long as we do, so we really need to ask a serious question; what the fuck are we doing wrong?

Well I have looked into the rather large amount of spending the NHS has to contend with, and the losing battle that's been associated with it's effectiveness to reduce them. This is why I provided a "link" to support the specifics surrounding the problems with NHS, from a source in ENGLAND (not the New York Times, Sean Hannity, FOX news, MSNBC, or other "American" news sources with an agenda). I prefer to use more accurate references from those already living under such Health Care laws and patient conditions, as it makes all the difference in this case to look outside the American media 'spin'.

Last edited:

Well I have looked into the rather large amount of spending the NHS has to contend with, and the losing battle that's been associated with it's effectiveness to reduce them. This is why I provided a "link" to support the specifics surrounding the problems with NHS, from a source in ENGLAND (not the New York Times, Sean Hannity, FOX news, MSNBC, or other "American" news sources with an agenda). Makes all the difference to use "proper" references from those already living under such Health Care laws and patient conditions in this case.

The US has about 260,000,000 more people. I'm sure this is a large reason for the differences in cost.

Well I have looked into the rather large amount of spending the NHS has to contend with, and the losing battle that's been associated with it's effectiveness to reduce them. This is why I provided a "link" to support the specifics surrounding the problems with NHS, from a source in ENGLAND (not the New York Times, Sean Hannity, FOX news, MSNBC, or other "American" news sources with an agenda). Makes all the difference to use "proper" references from those already living under such Health Care laws and patient conditions in this case.

The US has about 260,000,000 more people. I'm sure this is a large reason for the differences in cost.

The same problem associated with government health care cost also follows into Canada and Massachusetts. In fact it's one of the common denominators to be found, when government is placed in the position to cover for those who can not afford it. Simply because the population changes, doesn't mean those who look to the government to pay the bill for them remains constant.

Last edited:
There is a new poll out today by Gallup that shows a major shift in American's thinking, and is very bad news for the Democrat Party. A clear majority of Americans are now saying it is not the Government's responsibility to insure everyone. This shows a dramatic change in thinking since Obamacare has become reality. Only 42% of people in America now agree with the premise. Here is a link to the story and the data.

Majority in U.S. Say Healthcare Not Gov't Responsibility

Funny, the majority believed it was until Obama became president.

one look at his plan is enough to tell you you don't want government providing insurance for you

So the majority believe that the rich have the right to the best healthcare options, and the poor can just suffer with sub standard care?

No, the majority of Americans believe people should take responsibility for their own lives. I know to Libtards this is a alien concept, but it truly is what built America.

the poor are already getting free healthcare.

Majority of Americans Say It Not the Government's Responsibility to Insure Everyone

I agree.

Stop forcing the insured patients to pay for your health care insurance.

Pay for it yourself = ObamaCare.

if everyone was paying for it themselves under obamacare the plan might actually work. but that is not the case

The Gallup poll has only moved two points in the past 12 months.

Forum List

Back