Marijuana legalization clashes with drug testing in the workplace

"Drug testing" is bullshit. Nobody should bend over for that kind of statist overreach. I won't even patronize businesses that do it.

I can't believe We the Sheeple just bent over for that shit and enabled it. Now look where we are. Good job, assholes. Way to stand up.

I gotta disagree with you in this one case. People operating heavy equipment, or any other position where less than100% concentration can cause great damage or death should always be subject to drug testing. That's not to say that across the board drug testing for everybody makes any sense at all, but a few specific cases should, and I think will always be appropriate for drug testing.

Except a "drug test" is not a concentration test. It's a chemical analysis, from which assumptions must be extrapolated.

Aye, there's the rub.

The liability that a company must take on is very high, one accident in a commercial vehicle can wipe an entire company out and put 100s out of work.

--- which is why such a test would be done after that accident, just as a breathalyzer test might be done on a driver. Makes sense. The difference is in the pre-emptive testing, when nothing has happened to show just cause.

Nomsayin'?

Do a job that doesn't require drug testing, that is your right.

Unless I'm being hired as a guinea pig to test drugs, no one has any reason or basis to invade one's bodily fluids.

"Drug testing" is bullshit. Nobody should bend over for that kind of statist overreach. I won't even patronize businesses that do it.

I can't believe We the Sheeple just bent over for that shit and enabled it. Now look where we are. Good job, assholes. Way to stand up.

I gotta disagree with you in this one case. People operating heavy equipment, or any other position where less than100% concentration can cause great damage or death should always be subject to drug testing. That's not to say that across the board drug testing for everybody makes any sense at all, but a few specific cases should, and I think will always be appropriate for drug testing.

Except a "drug test" is not a concentration test. It's a chemical analysis, from which assumptions must be extrapolated.

Aye, there's the rub.

The liability that a company must take on is very high, one accident in a commercial vehicle can wipe an entire company out and put 100s out of work.

All the years I did work in industry I have never had an accident...I am very careful and observant of my environment..I didn't get high at work....

Good for you. The issue is the employer has the right to request a drug test and you have the right to refuse. It's no big deal.

Aye, there's the rub.

All the years I did work in industry I have never had an accident...I am very careful and observant of my environment..I didn't get high at work....

Good for you. The issue is the employer has the right to request a drug test and you have the right to refuse. It's no big deal.
No it's not, plus they are easy to beat....

Aye, there's the rub.

--- which is why such a test would be done after that accident, just as a breathalyzer test might be done on a driver. Makes sense. The difference is in the pre-emptive testing, when nothing has happened to show just cause.

Nomsayin'?

Unless I'm being hired as a guinea pig to test drugs, no one has any reason or basis to invade one's bodily fluids.

That is your opinion, and if I am hiring a person, I have a right to hire or not hire based on the results of a drug test.

You can smoke all the crap you want, but an employer who is paying you has a right to have you clean from drugs.

Not if they don't impair your job they don't.

An employee is hired for his/her labor ---- not the contents of his/her bloodstream. I don't know why people bend over for this shit.
It's an invasion of privacy...I would never work for a company that did drug testing.. They can keep their money...

Their right to require drug testing, your right not to take the job.
yep..I can make my own income through my own efforts...

As do I. But if the bender-overs continue to let the whole thing slide, the day will come when we're required to test ourselves. Presumably some of us will have to inform ourselves that we can't hire ourselves because the chemical test says no and the what the State wants is more important.

Aye, there's the rub.

Nomsayin'?

That is your opinion, and if I am hiring a person, I have a right to hire or not hire based on the results of a drug test.

And assuming you're not hiring as a drug test guinea pig, in which case it would actually matter, what's your basis for that? It has to be something a little more solid than "because George Bush said so".

You can smoke all the crap you want, but an employer who is paying you has a right to have you clean from drugs.

An employee is hired for his/her labor ---- not the contents of his/her bloodstream. I don't know why people bend over for this shit.
It's an invasion of privacy...I would never work for a company that did drug testing.. They can keep their money...

As do I. But if the bender-overs continue to let the whole thing slide, the day will come when we're required to test ourselves. Presumably some of us will have to inform ourselves that we can't hire ourselves because the chemical test says no and the what the State wants is more important.

If you fly a commercial airplane, drive a commercial truck, operate a commercial train, drive a commercial bus and own the business, it is already there.

What's next for liberals? Now let's mandate that companies have to hire a certain percentage of meth attics and heroine addicts cause they are a discriminated against part of the population. I vote yes.

Seriously this is bullshit though. If I own a company with tough positions and they're on my payroll, I will require drug tests. If anything else it will keep people away who are too dumb to pass a drug test using someone else s urine.

Progs have no issues with employers firing and refusing to hire tobacco users. But now they want special protections for potheads.

I have never had to take a drug test for being a business owner and never would..

If you fly a commercial airplane, drive a commercial truck, operate a commercial train, drive a commercial bus and own the business, it is already there.

I don't drive a commercial truck today. But I used to, for years. Never needed a pee test or blood test.

What's next for liberals? Now let's mandate that companies have to hire a certain percentage of meth attics and heroine addicts cause they are a discriminated against part of the population. I vote yes.

Seriously this is bullshit though. If I own a company with tough positions and they're on my payroll, I will require drug tests. If anything else it will keep people away who are too dumb to pass a drug test using someone else s urine.

I don't drive a commercial truck today. But I used to, for years. Never needed a pee test or blood test.
My eldest son is driving a big rig and he says they hardly ever test him on the road and he works 28 days out of the month. He has no wife or kids...

Aye, there's the rub.

It would be perfectly possible -- and indeed happens, often -- that some operator of said equipment fails to concentrate from, say, lack of rest the night before, or from being preoccupied with some outside matter. Yet his blood could be squeaky "clean".

True, but just because it might happen from another cause is no reason to add potential problems. A drunk driver may complete a trip while a completely sober driver has a wreck, but it's obvious to all who was more likely to have a problem. I'm all for legalization, or, until that is possible, at least decriminalization, but in cases where extreme hazards exist, to err on the side of safety isn't that much of a hardship. Everything doesn't have to be black or white.

My eldest son is driving a big rig and he says they hardly ever test him on the road and he works 28 days out of the month. He has no wife or kids...
It's the companies right to test if they want too. They chose not to so that's what they want to do.

Aye, there's the rub.

Nomsayin'?

And assuming you're not hiring as a drug test guinea pig, in which case it would actually matter, what's your basis for that? It has to be something a little more solid than "because George Bush said so".

I don't care what Bush said, it isn't relevant to me, however it is some how relevant to you.

A business owner is hiring, he risks his business, you risk nothing. If an accident happens, the liability is all on the owner, not the druggie. A druggie is more likely to steal, more likely to have an accident, more likely to have health issues, higher absentee issues. I am all for not hiring smokers. If you want to engage in high risk behavior, that is well within your rights, but an employer has rights to keep his business as low of risk as possible.

I remember an incident back in the 70`s when I was a crane operator in a steel mill and one of my fellow crane operators told the boss that I smoked dope. The boss`s response? "he`s still a better crane operator than you".

And when they do, not if, and if he tests positive, he is out of work and will lose his CDL.

It's the companies right to test if they want too. They chose not to so that's what they want to do.
Good for them, it's their company they can run it as they see fit, does not mean I have to submit to their will....

Good for them, it's their company they can run it as they see fit, does not mean I have to submit to their will....
I guess you could join all the other jobless druggies...

Forum List

Back