Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot

question. is this stuff being sold in stores now, or do you have to go to specialty shops? This is a real concern. I agree with Jillian and Samson that parents have to keep up with their own kids, but if it looks just like candy in the packaging, i don't want it readily accessible for my kids to touch in the store either.

Specialty Stores. No one under 21 is allowed in. Normally ID is checked at door and before payment.

That's good. Another thing that bothers me is people eating or whatever this shit before or while driving.

Well, it should be a concern: Penalties for DUI are stiff, whether "this shit" or any other is the issue.

question. is this stuff being sold in stores now, or do you have to go to specialty shops? This is a real concern. I agree with Jillian and Samson that parents have to keep up with their own kids, but if it looks just like candy in the packaging, i don't want it readily accessible for my kids to touch in the store either.

Specialty Stores. No one under 21 is allowed in. Normally ID is checked at door and before payment.

That's good. Another thing that bothers me is people eating or whatever this shit before or while driving.

As long as they treat all DUI's the same, I'm no more concerned about marijuana than I am alcohol. Now, when it does become legalized everywhere, you can expect to see lots and lots more reports of people driving under the influence of marijuana. I would recommend caution when deciding its because of legalization and not because they've been doing it since long before marijuana prohibition ended.

Martha Montemayor of Healthy Choices Unlimited has guidelines so you don’t “overdowd” on your first time back.

Normally this dosing information is for the medical marijuana patients at Healthy Choices Unlimited, but the “Go slow and low” philosophy for THC ingestion can safely guide recreational users through a reintroduction to marijuana.

1. Montemayor does not recommend dabs or other concentrates for anyone new to cannabis.
2. recommendations are for cannabis with 5-25 percent total active THC. Recreational strains have been lab tested, so the THC potency should be available information in licensed marijuana centers.
3. For people who weigh 150 pounds or less, your first dose can be 2.5 mg to 5 mg total active THC. If smoking or vaping, take one puff.
4. For people who weigh between 150 and 200 pounds, the initial dose can be 5 mg to 10 mg total active THC. If using an inhaled medicine, take two puffs.
5. For individuals weighing more than 200 pounds, the initial dose can be 10 mg to 15 mg. For smoking or vaping, keep the dose at two puffs. Montemayor suggests that before consuming more, wait 15 minutes if you are smoking or vaping.
6. If you are using drops, patches, gels, suckers, or other skin or mouth absorption products, wait 15 to 30 minutes before ingesting another measured dose.
7. If you are using edibles or capsules or anything digested, wait 60 to 90 minutes.

Sounds like you worked the Haight-Ashbury clinic or were a "trip advisor" in a former life.. :lmao:

I'm just offering the information which is somewhat illusive. Based on my own experience, these doses are pretty accurate for edibles. I'm not a smoker, so I'm guessing that advice included is equally as accurate, but I'm still not sure how to really quantify a "puff."

Having no idea how to judge the intoxicating effect is a real handicap for first time users. 10 mg TCH is what each "piece" of edible will contain in Colorado starting in November. This new rule is designed to prevent a piece of candy (like a chocolate truffle) from containing 100 mg THC, and having no way to accurately divide it into 10 mg "servings." You can still buy a 75 mg chocolate bar, but it will be divided into 8 sections (like a Hersey Bar) that are < 10 mg each. A person 150-200 lb would eat ONE piece (NOT ONE BAR) and wait an hour to see the effect.

What is interesting is the cost, which is about $2.50/10 mg dose, no matter what type of edible you buy. If we consider the average price for beer at about $8/6 pack, One beer (or dose of EtOH) is $1.33, comparatively a pretty cheap intoxicant.

Well, it should be a concern: Penalties for DUI are stiff, whether "this shit" or any other is the issue.

But you admitted, on this board, that you've eaten this THC infused candy while driving with very little comment from anyone. Can you imagine if someone posted "hey man I drank a Hard Mike's Lemonade while at a stop light, and it didn't make me drunk?"

That's my concern

As long as they treat all DUI's the same, I'm no more concerned about marijuana than I am alcohol. Now, when it does become legalized everywhere, you can expect to see lots and lots more reports of people driving under the influence of marijuana. I would recommend caution when deciding its because of legalization and not because they've been doing it since long before marijuana prohibition ended.

I think they're still compiling data for DUI's for EtOH vs THC in Colorado since it was legal (non medical), but frankly, I'm astonished not to have heard of ANY fatal accidents where the driver has been DUI with THC since January 2014.

There was a pre- Legal Recreational study comparing fatal motor vehicle crashes in Colorado involving at least one driver who tested positive for marijuana. In 1994 (when all THC was illegal) TCH related fatalities accounted for 4.5 percent of the total in the first six months of 1994; this percentage increased to 10 percent in the last six months of 2011 after medical THC was available.

But you admitted, on this board, that you've eaten this THC infused candy while driving with very little comment from anyone. Can you imagine if someone posted "hey man I drank a Hard Mike's Lemonade while at a stop light, and it didn't make me drunk?"

That's my concern

Like I said, it should be a concern.

Not sure what your point is, but DUI for both THC and as you mentioned, EtOH is the same. Has that prevented everyone from DUI? Obviously, not: Were you under some impression otherwise?

That's my concern

You say that, but you admitted to consuming while driving.....

That would be like me saying "yes you should be concerned about people accidentally shooting people with guns, and oh by the way last night I drove around town firing my gun into store fronts"

If you were concerned you wouldn't eat this candy while driving

I think they're still compiling data for DUI's for EtOH vs THC in Colorado since it was legal (non medical), but frankly, I'm astonished not to have heard of ANY fatal accidents where the driver has been DUI with THC since January 2014.

There was a pre- Legal Recreational study comparing fatal motor vehicle crashes in Colorado involving at least one driver who tested positive for marijuana. In 1994 (when all THC was illegal) TCH related fatalities accounted for 4.5 percent of the total in the first six months of 1994; this percentage increased to 10 percent in the last six months of 2011 after medical THC was available.

I think the increase may very well be in relation to new methods of field testing and police training on the signs of drug use in a vehicle. Legalization merely brought the tokers out of hiding, it didn't create tokers (no significant amount of noobs anyway).

That's my concern

That would be like me saying "yes you should be concerned about people accidentally shooting people with guns, and oh by the way last night I drove around town firing my gun into store fronts"

Not sure what your point is, but DUI for both THC and as you mentioned, EtOH is the same. Has that prevented everyone from DUI? Obviously, not: Were you under some impression otherwise?

My concern is much greater now, having been through the experience.

I think the increase may very well be in relation to new methods of field testing and police training on the signs of drug use in a vehicle. Legalization merely brought the tokers out of hiding, it didn't create tokers (no significant amount of noobs anyway).

You could be right. Really, I'm shocked that the entire state of Colorado is not inundated with THC related accidents, and that insurance costs have not gone through the roof because legalization has encouraged first time users.

That's my concern

So, we can assume then that you will no longer be eating this candy while driving? See that's my point. Pot users seem to have this idea (in general mind you, not everyone) that pot doesn't affect you the way say alcohol does. And my question to them is always. If pot doesn't alter your reality then why bother using it?

We still have some drinkers who use that tired old bullshit "oh I can drink a case of beer and drive better than most people can sober"

No, no you can't, your reality is simply altered when your drunk/stoned and you BELIEVE you can.

You could be right. Really, I'm shocked that the entire state of Colorado is not inundated with THC related accidents, and that insurance costs have not gone through the roof because legalization has encouraged first time users.

I was pretty well surprised myself. I was certain that opponents would be on the edges of their seats trying to prove how awful legalization is. I guess money talks and bullshit walks.

That's my concern

So, we can assume then that you will no longer be eating this candy while driving? See that's my point. Pot users seem to have this idea (in general mind you, not everyone) that pot doesn't affect you the way say alcohol does. And my question to them is always. If pot doesn't alter your reality then why bother using it?

We still have some drinkers who use that tired old bullshit "oh I can drink a case of beer and drive better than most people can sober"

No, no you can't, your reality is simply altered when your drunk/stoned and you BELIEVE you can.

Correct.

I'm not sure what "pot users" believe about the relative impairment of THC vs EtOH. All I can tell you is that I doubt I'm the only one on the planet whose said, now that I know what effects are, I'll plan accordingly.

Your question; If pot doesn't alter your reality then why bother using it? Is a tad strange: Who has said it is not an intoxicant? Maybe you mean, if you can consume EtOH, then why consume THC? My answer would be because THC doesn't make me feel slightly sick during and after ingestion. EtOH makes me feel as if I've been drinking poison (which it is).

That's my concern

Correct.

I'm not sure what "pot users" believe about the relative impairment of THC vs EtOH. All I can tell you is that I doubt I'm the only one on the planet whose said, now that I know what effects are, I'll plan accordingly.

Your question; If pot doesn't alter your reality then why bother using it? Is a tad strange: Who has said it is not an intoxicant? Maybe you mean, if you can consume EtOH, then why consume THC? My answer would be because THC doesn't make me feel slightly sick during and after ingestion. EtOH makes me feel as if I've been drinking poison (which it is).

Then I conclude you seem to be a responsible user, and not only do I not give a shit if you use, I feel the government doesn't have a right to tell you that you can't.

What I meant was by if pot doesn't alter your reality than why bother using it is exactly what I also say to drinkers who say that booze doesn't affect their driving. If either didn't alter your mind enough to affect your driving, why would you take either? What would be the point.

That's my concern

Correct.

Then I conclude you seem to be a responsible user, and not only do I not give a shit if you use, I feel the government doesn't have a right to tell you that you can't.

What I meant was by if pot doesn't alter your reality than why bother using it is exactly what I also say to drinkers who say that booze doesn't affect their driving. If either didn't alter your mind enough to affect your driving, why would you take either? What would be the point.

I can only guess that whatever intoxicant individuals have ingested effects them, it does not effect them enough to make them believe they cannot drive. This supposes whoever we're talking about PLANNED to be intoxicated.

This is MUCH easier to do with EtOH, because it effects you relatively immediately. Take a shot of whiskey, and you think, "hmm....I must drive in an hour, so I've had enough," or "well, I don't need to go anywhere for the next 5 hours: Hit me again!"

Ingested THC takes about an hour to have effect, and during that time, you might ingest MORE, making the lagged effect a REAL, UNPLANNED impairment.

If you put THC into a cockroach, it would entice children too. Hiding behind our children when legislating a natural plant is thinking with our hearts, not our brains.

I support legalization of Marijuana in it's natural form. I find the creation of candy from it to be distasteful at the least. If you want to smoke pot, smoke a joint.

Or better yet, vaporize.

I was pretty well surprised myself. I was certain that opponents would be on the edges of their seats trying to prove how awful legalization is. I guess money talks and bullshit walks.
i posted this before....so here it is again.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/u...nabis-for-california.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

21.5 Million In Marijuana Taxes Just Went Up In Smoke - Forbes
Just found this article, pointing out the snag in reporting taxes on marijuana sales that are legal by state laws,
but still considered illegal federally. So how can businesses report income tax if that forces them to self-incriminate?
In your given, the business is,breaking federal law.
It has no issue with federal law if it doesn't sell an illegal product.
Noting in this has any hope of overturning the relevant federal law.

M14 Shooter: This is NOT my argument or position, and I am actually against
such a waste of time, legal resources, and public govt resources fighting that way.

The advocates who WANT to push for legalization are the ones pursuing legal arguments
that they cannot file income taxes without incriminating themselves and violating the Fifth Amendment.

You and I can see or say there is nothing there to force federal laws to change.

But that doesn't stop these advocates for pushing for that anyway.

NOTE: I am not for promoting marijuana, but more against it because of the harmful side effects
that cannot always be proven or measured, yet will impose costs on the public not consented to.

I was just citing this article that explained how these legal arguments were being pushed.

Personally I think it is shameful and wasteful that so much medical and legal effort is going into
pushing marijuana when there are more natural means of healing that can cure and prevent
a LOT more DISEASES that aren't being researched or pushed, but REJECTED by liberal politics.

I believe in freedom of choice as long as people accept full responsibility for that choice.

But in the case of marijuana use, abuse and addiction, neither side is accepting full responsibility for the cost.
That's why I advocate for separating districts or parties that agree or don't agree to pay for certain choices.

To understand the full implications requires more research and agreement on the causes, effects and cures of addiction and abuse.

So that research I am pushing to CURE addictions not feed them.

So I am against this onesided movement that isn't taking full social, financial or spiritual responsibility
for the addictions and abuse going on.

If you are going to decriminalize the choice of abuse and addiction, then at least research and promote
prevention and cure, instead of REJECTING this at the same time as promoting drug use.

I believe this is dangerous and messed up to ignore, reject and deny the full process of what
is going on with addiction, abuse, the causes and cures for it.

sorry to preach. If people want that choice, they should be FULLY informed, and take responsibility.
and that's not happening while half the nation is denying rejecting common knowledge about
how to identify causes of addiction and abuse and what it takes spiritually to cure them.
They act like that knowledge and process doesn't exist, and even demonize it.
When that information should be required before making decisions about drug use
or else it is negligence not to inform people of the consequences of substances you are selling them.

Where is the legal disclaimer that people will not sue if they
end up suffering the symptoms they were warned about?
Totally screwed up by political, media, and social frenzy.

Forum List

Back