🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mark Sanford wins Republican runoff in South Carolina

Hardly the "upset of the century."
A Democrat winning in South Carolina's 1st District would be a tremendous upset. Especially since many of Charleston's democratic voters were realigned into the 6th district in 1992.
A Democrat has not represented this district since 1981.

With Sanford's baggage, I just don't see it as "the upset of the century," an upset yes, but not surprising nor of the century...
It's not an upset based on the individual/s, it's an upset based on the region.

Dems just don't win in that part of the States, they just don't. It's Republican Town over there. If one wins, due to how badly a Republican is/was, no matter who it is, it's an upset.

That's the deep south dude, surely you recognize this.

I am surprised he was nominated. Unfortunately, he has name recognition and we have low information voters in both parties.
I'm surprised at that as well, I mean...why are the Republicans supporting a man who was a derelict to his duty? He stepped out on his post, he was unaccounted for...for days, and he lied to do it as well. That's not even touching his personal dalliance.

Hardly the "upset of the century."
A Democrat winning in South Carolina's 1st District would be a tremendous upset. Especially since many of Charleston's democratic voters were realigned into the 6th district in 1992.
A Democrat has not represented this district since 1981.

With Sanford's baggage, I just don't see it as "the upset of the century," an upset yes, but not surprising nor of the century...

Maybe ... certainly the "of the century" part is debatable. But since this century only began 13 years ago, I'd say this would qualify as a big enough upset to be in the running. But whatever, no sense in a big drawn-out debate over that. In my mind, since I haven't been able to find a democrat drawing more than 35% since 1981, that's pretty big. How much voters in South Carolina penalize Sanford for his "baggage" is anyone's guess.

He won the GOP primary pretty easily in a very crowded field afterall.

If SC wants to seced a third time, I say bon voyage ... but no more fed money for neuroleptic drugs.

Colbert has an arrest record from a bad divorce and Sanford ran away from his wife. Both are appalling.

Colbert has an arrest record from a bad divorce and Sanford ran away from his wife. Both are appalling.

Ah, people make mistakes. Judging on morality is never good. Now Sanford's tresspassing is ... wierd. Creepy kinda. I figure he'll win because of it.

I found Colbert's charges - contempt of court because she didn't provide her abusive ex-husband with enough time with the kids....

Not appalling imho. Not smart, but not appalling. Sanford awol in South America with his adulturous lover and then lying about it?
Not smart. Appalling? I don't know, maybe I've just become so jaded that stuff like this doesn't really shock me anymore. I know which I think is worse ...

Last edited:

I found Colbert's charges - contempt of court because she didn't provide her abusive ex-husband with enough time with the kids....

Not appalling imho. Not smart, but not appalling. Sanford awol in South America with his adulturous lover and then lying about it?
Not smart. Appalling? I don't know, maybe I've just become so jaded that stuff like this doesn't really shock me anymore. I know which I think is worse ...

Looks like you found it. I would probably agree with you on which is worse.

Ah, people make mistakes. Judging on morality is never good. Now Sanford's tresspassing is ... wierd. Creepy kinda. I figure he'll win because of it.

I have nothing against mistakes, just the lying.
What has Colbert lied about?

Based on the ads I've seen and what I know of the two candidates, which I admit is probably not as much as some folks (keep in mind I've only lived here since September '12), neither of them has outright lied. I have seen a statement, maybe two, re-interpreted, by Busch, to mean something that wasn't said, but that's politics.

Another curious fact of this election, which may have been mentioned already, Busch's name appears on the ballot twice. She appears as the Dem candidate and as the candidate for the Working Families party. That doesn't seem right...

sc-1.preview.jpg

Last edited:
I have nothing against mistakes, just the lying.

Based on the ads I've seen and what I know of the two candidates, which I admit is probably not as much as some folks (keep in mind I've only lived here since September '12), neither of them has outright lied. I have seen a statement, maybe two, re-interpreted, by Busch, to mean something that wasn't said, but that's politics.

Another curious fact of this election, which may have been mentioned already, Busch's name appears on the ballot twice. She appears as the Dem candidate and as the candidate for the Working Families party. That doesn't seem right...

sc-1.preview.jpg

I have been here on and off since 2004. I would be so embarressed for this state if Stanford won. I was here when he made us a joke with his Shenanigans and I do admit I dont know much about the democrat. But Sanford? give me a break. lol

Last edited:

sc-1.preview.jpg

I have been here on and off since 2004. I would be so embarressed for this state if Stanford won. I was here when he made us a joke with his Shenanigans and I do admit I dont know much about the democrat. But Stanford? give me a break. lol

I'm with you, Sanford would not get my vote based on his lack of character alone. But then I doubt Busch would get my vote either...

I don't know that is says anymore about the right than it says about the left when elect or reelect politicians caught up in affairs and scandals.

LIKE WHO?

Anyway....THIS thread is about REPUBLICAN Mark Sanford and the Republicans of South Carolina that elected him.

Any thoughts on that sir?

Bill Clinton comes to mind and please don't pretend like you didn't know about or remember his affairs as for the Republicans of South Carolina he ask for their forgiveness and a second chance and they choose to give it to him and that is pretty much all I have to say about it.
Imagine if Clinton had left the country for a week without telling anyone.

LIKE WHO?

Anyway....THIS thread is about REPUBLICAN Mark Sanford and the Republicans of South Carolina that elected him.

Bill Clinton comes to mind and please don't pretend like you didn't know about or remember his affairs as for the Republicans of South Carolina he ask for their forgiveness and a second chance and they choose to give it to him and that is pretty much all I have to say about it.

Yup and sanford with his crazy talk. Got me thinking to try to hike the Applacian trail for some reason. I lasted a few miles and said this sucks. and went back and hit a titty bar in Tennesse...... true story........lol.

LIKE WHO?

Somewhat irrelevant don't you think given a Governor is not as scrutinized or watched anywhere near as much as a President is? I will repeat my earlier response here if the people of South Carolina want to give Sanford a second chance so be it Clinton asked the nation for a second chance and they gave it to him sometimes you get them sometimes you don't.

So...do you think he'll win the election or will it go to newcomer Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch? She happens to be Stephen Colbert's older sister BTW.

I think Mark Sanford is toast.

What does it say that the Republicans gave him the nomination?

I'm kinda shocked he won the runoff.

Mark Sanford wins Republican runoff in South Carolina

So he's forgiven?

I just think it's hilarious that a Colbert married a Busch
:lol:

Forum List

Back