Martin O'Malley- A Democrat who talks some sense.

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Now, I'll admit, I don't live in Maryland, and maybe a USMB poster who does can correct me, but I really like what this guy has to say.

Gov. O?Malley: What Maryland does better than Texas - The Washington Post

My administration has made Maryland a better place to do business by focusing on middle-class and sustainable jobs. In addition to being No. 1 in median income, the median wage for hourly workers in Maryland is $14.17 vs. $12.00 in Texas, which lags the national median of $12.80. And while Texas leads the nation in minimum-wage workers, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce ranks Maryland first in the nation in innovation and entrepreneurship, second in concentration of science, technology, engineering and math jobs and third for its “talent pipeline.”

How did we make this possible? By investing in our schools, which Education Week has ranked No. 1 in the nation since 2007. Maryland did more than any other state to hold down rising college tuition costs. We modernized infrastructure and invested in growing sectors such as biotechnology and life science, green technology and clean energy, aerospace and advanced manufacturing.

These investments didn’t come without a price. First, my administration cut more in state spending than any governor in Maryland history. We also had to ask the wealthiest Marylanders to pay a bit more by making income taxes progressive for the first time in state history.

This is the issue facing our nation. Will we make the tougher and better choices that fuel modern economies — investing in education, innovation and infrastructure — and create jobs along the way? Or will we sacrifice these critical investments with the false promise of tax cuts and trickle-down economics that make for slick ads?

n the last two years alone he won big battles in the state legislature to allow same sex marriage, give some illegal immigrants in-state tuition, end the death penalty, underwrite an offshore wind farm, ban certain guns and make gun licensing requirements stricter. He also pushed to raise the gas tax, and won. It is one of the 37 tax and fee hikes enacted during his administration totaling $3.1 billion, according to research by Change Maryland.

Democrats should love this guy.

Through executive order he has also limited growth in rural counties, along with property, income, and sales taxes in those areas to push development into areas friendlier to “transit-oriented development” — otherwise known as government-directed development or more simply, crony capitalism. In his words, it means the government is not going to subsidize “stupid land use decisions.”

Even his success stories are not successes. He loves to talk about Education Week’s top ranking of Maryland’s public schools, for example. But that publication’s report weighs spending more than achievement. Test score data shows Maryland has some of the largest gaps between white and low-income minority students and the number of remedial classes offered at community colleges and the state’s flagship school, the University of Maryland at College Park, is skyrocketing under his watch because students are graduating from high school without basic knowledge of math and writing.

Now, I'll admit, I don't live in Maryland, and maybe a USMB poster who does can correct me, but I really like what this guy has to say.

My administration has made Maryland a better place to do business by focusing on middle-class and sustainable jobs. In addition to being No. 1 in median income, the median wage for hourly workers in Maryland is $14.17 vs. $12.00 in Texas, which lags the national median of $12.80. And while Texas leads the nation in minimum-wage workers, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce ranks Maryland first in the nation in innovation and entrepreneurship, second in concentration of science, technology, engineering and math jobs and third for its “talent pipeline.”

How did we make this possible? By investing in our schools, which Education Week has ranked No. 1 in the nation since 2007. Maryland did more than any other state to hold down rising college tuition costs. We modernized infrastructure and invested in growing sectors such as biotechnology and life science, green technology and clean energy, aerospace and advanced manufacturing.

These investments didn’t come without a price. First, my administration cut more in state spending than any governor in Maryland history. We also had to ask the wealthiest Marylanders to pay a bit more by making income taxes progressive for the first time in state history.

This is the issue facing our nation. Will we make the tougher and better choices that fuel modern economies — investing in education, innovation and infrastructure — and create jobs along the way? Or will we sacrifice these critical investments with the false promise of tax cuts and trickle-down economics that make for slick ads?

I live part time in Maryland and asshole Rick Perry has been flooding TV and Radio with ads urging Maryland businesses to move to Texas. O'Malley does a great job telling Perry to STFU

Maryland has more high tech jobs and its proximity to DC encourages defense and government support jobs

Education.
Education.​
Education.​
On to the Stars! :beer:

Pretty good summary of current American Ideological Politics.

I live part time in Maryland and asshole Rick Perry has been flooding TV and Radio with ads urging Maryland businesses to move to Texas. O'Malley does a great job telling Perry to STFU

Maryland has more high tech jobs and its proximity to DC encourages defense and government support jobs

It was pretty tacky of Perry to go the Barretta plant and try to encourage them to move two days after the Navy Yard shooting.

Perry has no class.

It was pretty tacky of Perry to go the Barretta plant and try to encourage them to move two days after the Navy Yard shooting.

Perry has no class.

Considering you want the Baretta plant turned into a government only supplier, and basically put on part time operation, your opinion on it moving has no weight, and no merit.

Go suck government dick somewhere else.

n the last two years alone he won big battles in the state legislature to allow same sex marriage, give some illegal immigrants in-state tuition, end the death penalty, underwrite an offshore wind farm, ban certain guns and make gun licensing requirements stricter. He also pushed to raise the gas tax, and won. It is one of the 37 tax and fee hikes enacted during his administration totaling $3.1 billion, according to research by change maryland.

Democrats should love this guy.
we do... That's why his state is in good shape ... Instead of taking money away, from all the services the state provides, something repub-lie-turds don't want to pay for after it was borrowed the governor turns their repub-lie-turd mess around and pays the debts the repub-lie-turds made by raising their taxes .... After all you have to spend money to make money ... Something you repub-lie-turtds haven't figured out yet ... All you repub-lie turds know how to do is spend money and not pay your debts ...

now, i'll admit, i don't live in maryland, and maybe a usmb poster who does can correct me, but i really like what this guy has to say.

gov. O?malley: What maryland does better than texas - the washington post

my administration has made maryland a better place to do business by focusing on middle-class and sustainable jobs. In addition to being no. 1 in median income, the median wage for hourly workers in maryland is $14.17 vs. $12.00 in texas, which lags the national median of $12.80. And while texas leads the nation in minimum-wage workers, the u.s. Chamber of commerce ranks maryland first in the nation in innovation and entrepreneurship, second in concentration of science, technology, engineering and math jobs and third for its “talent pipeline.”

how did we make this possible? By investing in our schools, which education week has ranked no. 1 in the nation since 2007. Maryland did more than any other state to hold down rising college tuition costs. We modernized infrastructure and invested in growing sectors such as biotechnology and life science, green technology and clean energy, aerospace and advanced manufacturing.

These investments didn’t come without a price. First, my administration cut more in state spending than any governor in maryland history. We also had to ask the wealthiest marylanders to pay a bit more by making income taxes progressive for the first time in state history.

i live part time in maryland and asshole rick perry has been flooding tv and radio with ads urging maryland businesses to move to texas. O'malley does a great job telling perry to stfu

maryland has more high tech jobs and its proximity to dc encourages defense and government support jobs

and all perry has to offer is jobs at mcdonald's or burger king ...

If he does such a great job, why is Perry still talking?

MD is falling apart at the seams.. and I live here.. at least for another 3 1/2 years I will continue to live here.. unfortunately

The taxes are outrageous.. the state finances are a shambles... corruption in government is astounding.. the amount of nanny state bullshit is preposterous.. and OweMalley goes on about the average income?? PUH-LEASE.. like that has anything to do with him or the state government.. it has more to do with being next to the federal honey hole of money in DC and the wages paid by government and those sucking off government

Oh.. and the MD spending cut is as much of a myth as the Obama spending cut.. cutting the amount of an increase is not cutting spending

now, i'll admit, i don't live in maryland, and maybe a usmb poster who does can correct me, but i really like what this guy has to say.

i live part time in maryland and asshole rick perry has been flooding tv and radio with ads urging maryland businesses to move to texas. O'malley does a great job telling perry to stfu

maryland has more high tech jobs and its proximity to dc encourages defense and government support jobs

He is offering low cost labor and no government restrictions

If he does such a great job, why is Perry still talking?

Because Perry is a whore

He is offering low cost labor and no government restrictions

The low cost of labor is coupled with a low cost of living, and its not "no government restrictions" its "less government restrictions"

There fixed it for you.

Wrong as usual, the natural gas industry is adding 20,000 jobs per year.

I wonder what racial/ethnic/religious smear campaign the Right will dream up against O'Malley if he runs for president?

How's about none.. but no doubt you leftists scumbags will trash him if he gets out of line, much like you do with any minority that doesn't dance a jig at your alter.

Forum List

Back