Mass. 2nd grader sent home for crucifix drawing

☭proletarian☭;1817028 said:
Does emu taste good?

Probably not to me. There is a gun club in Addison, Michigan that has a banquet once a year where you can try buffalo, elk, different snakes, emu and the like. Sounds like a good place to leave soon after the meal. Must be gas city within two hoours.

Well, that's not what I saw the day the story first broke, why all of the teacher's comments about that particular picture then? All you have to do is go back through this thread where comments were made in regard to the teacher saying that the boy told her it was him on the cross, that she was disturbed that the boy put in an 'X' for the eyes, etc.. Where did all of that come from then, if that was not the picture in question?

There have been no comments by the teacher. What you're reading is what the FATHER claimed the teacher said. The school's message has been consistent.

The school's message has been 'no comment', we will never know if they did anything wrong or not.

damn you are dense

Why has the school changed their version of the story numerous times now? I'm not cheering anyone on, since no one really knows what happened on either side here. Why are you cheering the school on after they've changed their tune three times now?
The only version from the school district is that the pic shown by the father is NOT the one that triggered action from the school, and that the father's story is inaccurate.

So, your theory is that a guy who worked as a part time janitor at the school district came up with an entirely concocted plan to try to win a lawsuit against a school by having his son draw a religious picture and then accuse the school of discrimination based on his child falsely being punished for said picture? There's nothing to his side of the story at all?

I think he's lookin' for some $$$. And like was pointed out earlier in the thread, he couldn't afford a big balloon...

There have been no comments by the teacher. What you're reading is what the FATHER claimed the teacher said. The school's message has been consistent.

The school's message has been 'no comment', we will never know if they did anything wrong or not.
The Taunton School District released a written statement.

You can read that here: Taunton School Department Statement | ABC6 | Providence/New Bedford News, Weather and Sports | Web Extra

Okay, let's look at the comments.

Taunton Public Schools - Response to Recent Allegations

TAUNTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
110 County Street
Taunton, MA 02780
Phone (508) 821-1100
Fax (508) 821-1177

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 5 P.M. EDT, December 15, 2009

It has been reported in the media that a student was suspended over drawing a rendering of Jesus Christ on the cross. This report is totally inaccurate, and the student was never suspended. This incident occurred nearly two weeks ago, it was handled appropriately, and the school staff and family had been working together in a cooperative and positive manner.

What incident? They are refuting that there was any picture at all, let alone the one that the father showed to the media. They are refuting that the child was suspended. So, apparently the child was sent for an evalution, but they aren't saying way, but they are admitting that there was 'an incident'.

The drawing published in various media outlets is not the same drawing that was discovered by the teacher. It has not been established whether the drawing was actually completed in school. Contrary to what has been reported, there was no request or assignment by the teacher for students to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday.

So, now they are saying there was a drawing, but nothing more is said about it, other than they don't know where it was even drawn or even if he drew it.

The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted. In this case, as in any other case involving the wellbeing of a student, the administration acted in accordance with the school department’s well-established protocol. This protocol is centered upon the student’s care, wellbeing and educational success. The protocol includes a review of the student’s records, discussions with staff, central administration, school psychologists and other community resources. Decisions were made only after this protocol had been completed, including a consultation with a veteran staff member with a background in clinical psychology and a Ph.D.

They're the one making a judgement call as to whether or not scrutiny was warranted? I think if a parent is questioning what a school is doing with their child, then they have every right to question. It's a fine line that's drawn between what rights a school should have over a child in front of the parent's rights.

It is unfortunate that the actions of our district staff have been classified as “religious” in nature when, in fact, they were based solely on the wellbeing of the student. At this time of year, Christmas is one of many religious and secular holidays. Taunton, known as The Christmas City, takes pride as a community in celebrating this Christian holiday together with Hanukah, Kwanzaa, and many others. In the school district, it is our goal to provide the opportunity for all students to be well-rounded, and it is our responsibility to help them attain their social, emotional and academic goals regardless of their religious affiliation.

Politically correct BS.

Administrators in the Taunton Public Schools have an open-door policy and a willingness to discuss and examine any parental concerns and/or actions taken by the teachers, administrators, and other staff. It is difficult for us to address issues when they originate in a media news story, and it is unfortunate that this is the path that was taken in this case. As with any issue involving a child, regardless of a parent’s choice to discuss it in the media, it is the school district’s responsibility to act first in the best interests of the student and family, which we will continue to do in this matter. We will not now, nor will we ever, compromise our obligation in this regard.

So, they're implying that the parents went directly to the media and never talked with the school over their child being placed in some sort of evaluation? If you were sent some kind of a notice that your child was being involved in some sort of psychological examination due to some picture that was found, you would go to the media first?

Something just isn't right with this whole thing, there are lots of pieces still missing.

Bullshit.

It's been posted at least twice on this thread.

Their comments say nothing about what happened, other than they are refuting what the parent said.

As soon as the ****** started crying about racism and the Right Wingers started crying about religious discrimination- with neither bothering to ask about the child- I decided that both sides are in it for their own purposes.

Any bets that this "story" (although clearly false) will reappear yearly in The War On Christmas™ ?

Only if it's put there by you since you seem to be the one with an obsession with it relating to Christmas somehow.
:lol:

Bullshit again.

Go back and read this thread.

You're the only one I've seen obsessing over some relation with Christmas, and you keep bringing it up.

I am impressed tho, since the father is a member of a minority (therefore oppressed) group, that you're taking the side of the state against him. Guess that's cause the state takes precedence over minorities now. My how times change.

The only version from the school district is that the pic shown by the father is NOT the one that triggered action from the school, and that the father's story is inaccurate.

So, your theory is that a guy who worked as a part time janitor at the school district came up with an entirely concocted plan to try to win a lawsuit against a school by having his son draw a religious picture and then accuse the school of discrimination based on his child falsely being punished for said picture? There's nothing to his side of the story at all?

I think he's lookin' for some $$$. And like was pointed out earlier in the thread, he couldn't afford a big balloon...

So, he planned this whole thing out then? Seriously?

Planned it out? Doubtful. Taking full advantage? Obviously.

Why is it the first word out of blacks' mouths is always 'racism'? He couldn't focus on the effect on the child without going into how he's an oppressed black man kept down by Whitey?

Only if it's put there by you since you seem to be the one with an obsession with it relating to Christmas somehow.

Bullshit again.

You're the only one I've seen obsessing over some relation with Christmas, and you keep bringing it up.

I am impressed tho, since the father is a member of a minority (therefore oppressed) group, that you're taking the side of the state against him. Guess that's cause the state takes precedence over minorities now. My how times change.

I had no idea of his race until I saw a video news report. I couldn't care less what his race is either. He's a lying scammer and this child is caught in the middle. A liar is a liar, regardless of their color.

☭proletarian☭;1817081 said:
As soon as the ****** started crying about racism and the Right Wingers started crying about religious discrimination- with neither bothering to ask about the child- I decided that both sides are in it for their own purposes.

Yep. You know the kid is unhappy. They put him in a different school part way through the school year. Has to make friends all over again. Probably a major target in dodgeball now.

☭proletarian☭;1817097 said:
Planned it out? Doubtful. Taking full advantage? Obviously.

Why is it the first word out of blacks' mouths is always 'racism'? He couldn't focus on the effect on the child without going into how he's an oppressed black man kept down by Whitey?

Taking full advantage of what exactly?

I agree with the 'racism' part of it, but something else went on to start this whole thing to begin with, the father didn't come up with this all on his own.

Bullshit again.

I had no idea of his race until I saw a video news report. I couldn't care less what his race is either. He's a lying scammer and this child is caught in the middle. A liar is a liar, regardless of their color.

Guess you haven't read much of the thread either, since the fact that he cried 'racism' was brought up quite a while ago.

So, he planned this whole thing out then? Seriously?

Planned? As in lying and planning to sue the school district for 'damages'? Yes.

Guess you haven't read much of the thread either, since the fact that he cried 'racism' was brought up quite a while ago.

What does that have to do with anything? His claim of 'racism' doesn't mean he's Black.

Forum List

Back