Maya Angelou 25¢ Piece Released

Sorry bro, but that ship has sailed. The first woman on a US coin was white. There are older ones than this too.

2003-50-state-quarters-coin-alabama-uncirculated-reverse.jpg
Susan B. Anthony was the first woman depicted on a US coin, 1$. However the first non-fictional woman that was depicted on US currency was Pocahontas on the $20 in 1865. Martha Washington was on the $1 silver certificate in 1886. An argument could be made that Lucy Holcombe Pickens, SC's first lady and Queen of the Confederacy was the first woman shown on US currency in 1864 but that is a stretch. So, No, a white woman was not the first on currency but was on coinage.

A number of people think her teacher, who wrote all that stuff, just made it up, basically. Helen Keller was deaf, blind, and dumb and it is implausible to think all that highly ornamented Victorian writing actually was written by her.
Never heard that theory. I suppose anything is possible.

Damn you racists provide ammo to the black racist on this board. Attacking something as benign as a coin depiction with racist comments.
Agreed, but i also think there were more desrving women. If they wanted a black woman, you would think they would do Tubman or Rosa Parks. Angelou is a weird choice.

My only concern is that they don't just spam left wing women on the coins.

That being said I have a full set of the States quarters, still working on the parks (I only collect naturally, from what I get as change) and I guess I need to order the new coin book for this set on Amazon.
I have a set of states quarters that I collected from change as well. I bought the proof sets from the mint because I wanted them in 90% silver.

I ain't as ffffaaaaaannncccyy as you so the change collected set will do :D

I am a minor coin collector, my real passion is shot glasses/beer glasses
I'm not fancy either. I just figured if I bought from the mint in silver that I would at least have the value of metal. LOL. I am a minor collector as well and we seem to have like interests as I used to collect beer glasses, shot glasses and wine glasses as well.

Agreed, but i also think there were more desrving women. If they wanted a black woman, you would think they would do Tubman or Rosa Parks. Angelou is a weird choice.

It's a series of 50.

American Women quarters - Wikipedia

My one observation is it looks like one woman from every race so far.......so my concerns about it being a woke trope is looking more and more warranted.

Ya cause all the racists complaining about a black woman being honored didnt reply in this thread.

Now is where the fun begins. I am looking forward to collecting these. My concern is that for some reason they felt the need to issue them in what appears to be "one of each" black, white, Hispanic, native american, asian.

Plus of the 5, 3 are lefties/activists/etc.

So does that make me racist?

So the racist are mad that the first woman chosen was a black woman, now these are the same fools who turn around and bitch and moan about black folks voting Democrat.
You don't know much do you..she is not the first woman put on a coin. She like they were underserving---susan B anthony, the Indian guide who I can't spell her name--aren't seen much these days for a reason. Woke will make you Broke and needs to end for a number of reasons.

Now is where the fun begins. I am looking forward to collecting these. My concern is that for some reason they felt the need to issue them in what appears to be "one of each" black, white, Hispanic, native american, asian.

Plus of the 5, 3 are lefties/activists/etc.

So does that make me racist?
Famous women will naturally have lefties in the bunch.

Forum List

Back