McDonald's may be liable for worker lawsuits

You are subsidizing sloth on the part of those who refuse to better themselves.

Let's place the blame where it belongs.

I do. I put it on big corporations that are exploiting loopholes in the system.

Not sure what "loopholes" you mean, but I am all for changing the US tax structure to be more fair and to leave fewer loopholes.

Laws like those can be changed if we push the right politicians.

I mean the loophole that allows McDonald's or WalMart to pay minimum wage, encourage their employees to apply for food stamps and medicare,a nd then collect huge tax breaks for creating "jobs' the rest of us are subsidizing.

The Krochs and the Waltons are the richest families in the country, and the people actually doing the work can't get by without government assistance.

I don't know, maybe because i'm tired of subsidizing slave labor for billionaires with my tax dollars.

Who do you think pays for the food stamps, medicaid and public housing for these burger baggers?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You mean the fact that the government has made it easier and easier to suck on the public tit?

That loophole is being exploited by those who refuse to better themselves and get better paying jobs.

Sorry but there is no guarantee that one job will be enough to pay your living expenses and there never was.

You mean the fact that the government has made it easier and easier to suck on the public tit?

That loophole is being exploited by those who refuse to better themselves and get better paying jobs.

Sorry but there is no guarantee that one job will be enough to pay your living expenses and there never was.

But it should be, and that's actually the way the rest of the industrialized world does it.

Come on, guy, I know you are horrified at the notion of not being able to cheat and exploit people at every turn, but you really think this is a good system?

Oh, wait, you probably do.

I don't know, maybe because i'm tired of subsidizing slave labor for billionaires with my tax dollars.

Who do you think pays for the food stamps, medicaid and public housing for these burger baggers?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Upward mobility in America is a myth and-----and less likely than "in most European countries". If you want place to blame where it belongs, you first have to ask yourself; when what little Horatio Alger dream we had, began it's dramatic decline and-----and ask yourself, what happened 30-40 years ago that started the downward spiral of what little upward mobility/increase in standard of living Americans had gained in the post-war era?

The Mobility Myth
March 03, 2014

By James Surowiecki

<snip>

...but there&#8217;s a catch: there wasn&#8217;t that much mobility to begin with. According to Chetty, &#8220;Social mobility is low and has been for at least thirty or forty years.&#8221; This is most obvious when you look at the prospects of the poor. Seventy per cent of people born into the bottom quintile of income distribution never make it into the middle class, and fewer than ten per cent get into the top quintile. Forty per cent are still poor as adults. What the political scientist Michael Harrington wrote back in 1962 is still true: most people who are poor are poor because &#8220;they made the mistake of being born to the wrong parents.&#8221; The middle class isn&#8217;t all that mobile, either: only twenty per cent of people born into the middle quintile ever make it into the top one. And although we think of U.S. society as archetypally open, mobility here is lower than in most European countries.

This wasn&#8217;t always the case. As the economist Joseph P. Ferrie has shown, in the late nineteenth century U.S. society was far more mobile than Great Britain&#8217;s&#8212;a child in the U.S. was much more likely to move into a higher-class profession than that of his father&#8212;and much more mobile than it became later. It was possible for Andrew Carnegie to start as a bobbin boy in a cotton factory at a dollar-twenty a week and end up one of the world&#8217;s richest men. This legacy left a deep imprint on American culture. The sociologist Werner Sombart noted in 1906 that the average American worker felt he had a good chance of rising out of his class. That feeling has persisted: Americans are less concerned than Europeans about inequality and more confident that society is meritocratic. The problem is that, over time, the American dream has become increasingly untethered from American reality.

<snip>

More important, in any capitalist society most people are bound to be part of the middle and working classes; public policy should focus on raising their standard of living, instead of raising their chances of getting rich. What made the U.S. economy so remarkable for most of the twentieth century was the fact that, even if working people never moved into a different class, over time they saw their standard of living rise sharply. Between the late nineteen-forties and the early nineteen-seventies, median household income in the U.S. doubled. That&#8217;s what has really changed in the past forty years. The economy is growing more slowly than it did in the postwar era, and average workers&#8217; share of the pie has been shrinking. It&#8217;s no surprise that people in Washington prefer to talk about mobility rather than about this basic reality. Raising living standards for ordinary workers is hard: you need to either get wages growing or talk about things that scare politicians, like &#8220;redistribution&#8221; and &#8220;taxes.&#8221; But making it easier for some Americans to move up the economic ladder is no great triumph if most can barely hold on.

You are operating on the false assumption that there is a pie at all.

There is no pie. If you got a 1000 dollar raise then singly or collectively no one would have their pay reduced by 1000 dollars.

What a CEO of business owner makes has nothing to do with your salary. What's missing is not the opportunity to improve one's financial position but rather the willingness to sacrifice and plan to make it happen.

People spend more time on fantasy football or planning a single two week vacation than they do planning their finances.

[

There is no pie. If you got a 1000 dollar raise then singly or collectively no one would have their pay reduced by 1000 dollars.

What a CEO of business owner makes has nothing to do with your salary.

No, guy, there is a pie, and the CEO's have found the way to divide it.

But it should be, and that's actually the way the rest of the industrialized world does it.

Come on, guy, I know you are horrified at the notion of not being able to cheat and exploit people at every turn, but you really think this is a good system?

I don't cheat anyone. Never did.

In fact unlike you I never expect anyone to do anything for me.

[

What a CEO of business owner makes has nothing to do with your salary.

No, guy, there is a pie, and the CEO's have found the way to divide it.

Wrong again.

If there was a pie you would be able to tell me exactly how my salary affects your income.

I won't hold my breath

I don't either.

I just don't expect them to cheat me at every turn.

Like when they tell me I'm working for wages and health insurance, I have some funny idea that if I slip on some ice and bust up my knee, they aren't going to fuck me around on the health insurance.

But that's just me.

Or we can do something really crazy and just have single payer health care and treat health care like a public service rather than a commodity you can be cheated out of.

Stephanie clearly believes that it is acceptable for a business to refuse their workers overtime when it may be required, or to deduct hours from their rosters for no reason at all. Stephanie is a dumb bitch, obviously.

To note - the same thing happens here, too. No overtime when we clock off after an 8 hour maximum shift, extra hours are removed to avoid paying overtime, and we are expected to work off the clock.

All that is illegal. Stephanie would like to see it commonplace.
When it may be required by whom? Overtime is at the discretion of the employer and is offered when there is a need for it. Under no circumstances do employees get to decide when and how much overtime they can work.

This is not bad behavior on the businesses part. Who actually believes they are entitled to overtime when you're not even entitled to a job? Wow.

I don't either.

I just don't expect them to cheat me at every turn.

Like when they tell me I'm working for wages and health insurance, I have some funny idea that if I slip on some ice and bust up my knee, they aren't going to fuck me around on the health insurance.

But that's just me.

Or we can do something really crazy and just have single payer health care and treat health care like a public service rather than a commodity you can be cheated out of.

You feel like a victim so you see exploiters everywhere.

But the thing is people with a victim mentality think they are entitled to shit. When they don't get it they start whining and never stop,

You knew what you were getting when you signed that insurance contract didn't you?

Or are you one of those people who will just sign anything?

I don't know if single payer would work, to me it leaves more room for abuse than having choice. And the government can't even take care of veterans do you think that it would give a shit if you died waiting for an operation or some other life saving treatment?

[

But the thing is people with a victim mentality think they are entitled to shit. When they don't get it they start whining and never stop,

You knew what you were getting when you signed that insurance contract didn't you?

I don't know if single payer would work, to me it leaves more room for abuse than having choice. And the government can't even take care of veterans do you think that it would give a shit if you died waiting for an operation or some other life saving treatment?

Uh, yeah, guy. Nothing in the contract describing what they did. Nowhere was there clause 42a that said, "If you slip on some ice, we are going to find a way to get you off the payroll because you cost Cigna too much money".

Didn't say that anywhere.

But that's what they did.

[

Of course, Single Payer would work. It works fine in Canada, Japan, Germany, England, France, Italy and a bunch of smaller countries.

For the VA, the problem there was that you all started a war and then didn't expand the VA to accommedate a bunch of new vets.

[

Uh, yeah, guy. Nothing in the contract describing what they did. Nowhere was there clause 42a that said, "If you slip on some ice, we are going to find a way to get you off the payroll because you cost Cigna too much money".

And we are supposed to believe that? :eusa_boohoo:

It didn't happen to me, it doesn't count and I don't care.

[

I'm sure you don't. YOur lack of compassion for people is well noted.

But, yeah, that's what happened. Which is why i'm all for single payer and putting these assholes out of business.

Once we get employers out of the health care business, they are going to have to work a lot harder to get quality people.

Keep trying to take the subject off topic, because you can't defend your position.

you work for a living, you should get a living wage. Period.

Or we can just let everyone go on welfare.

What you guys don't seem to get is that when you pay someone below living wage, they get food stamps, they get Section 8 housing, they get ObamaPhones (er... ReaganPhones, but nevermind) they get MedicAid.

All stuff you are paying for, anyway.

Again, if you aren't capable of decency, you should be capable of common sense.

$26k a year is not a living wage (still undefined btw)? I looked up some apartments and you can get one for under $700 a month in Tampa. There is a public transportation system. So someone could rent an apt for $700, keep the power bill around $100 a month, spend $200 on transportation, have a couple of misc bills for $75 each and even save $100 a month. All that on $2,000 a month. (net of $1700, after losing 15% to federal taxes)

Looks like a single wage earned making $500 a week could live on it. Get a Roommate and it would be even cheaper.

You're being way, way to simplistic in your request of JoeB to do your research for you - a living wage isn't a single, one size fits all number, a living wage is a calculation based on many factors. I would've thought you would know that?

Living Wage Calculator

<snip>

The living wage varies based on the cost of living and taxes where families live. Families of four (with two working adults, two children) in the North ($56,179) and West ($53,505) have higher median living wages before taxes than the South ($49,167), and Midwest ($48,496). Within region, the largest variation is between Southern states, where the living wage ranges from $45,655 in South Carolina to $69,820 in the District of Columbia.

In most metropolitan areas, where the US economy and jobs are increasingly concentrated, the living wage is higher than the national median. Consistent with overall regional variation, of the most populous 100 metropolitan areas, Honolulu ($66,554), New York ($67,323), and Washington DC ($69,709) have the highest living wages for the typical family of four.

And here's a link to the Living Wage Calculation for Tampa city, Hillsborough County, Florida

Your wages should be based upon what you contribute to the employer in the value of your labor, not the size of your family or where you live or that your spouse wants to stay at home and your oldest will be heading off to university in a year.

[

Get another insurance company.

[

Of course, Single Payer would work. It works fine in Canada, Japan, Germany, England, France, Italy and a bunch of smaller countries.

For the VA, the problem there was that you all started a war and then didn't expand the VA to accommedate a bunch of new vets.

You all?

You seem to forget I am one of the most anti war people here.

And those problems with the VA are not recent there is a culture of neglect and corruption just like there is with every government agency and program.

[

Yes, because waiting times in the range of months for some procedures is "fine"

I'm sure you don't. YOur lack of compassion for people is well noted.

But, yeah, that's what happened. Which is why i'm all for single payer and putting these assholes out of business.

Once we get employers out of the health care business, they are going to have to work a lot harder to get quality people.

Says the man who's words I was quoting. lol

No, the same quality people will still need jobs, retirement options, and other benefits.

What an ignorant statement. It is the partisan BS that spurs the issues and you are one of the best. Congress, a bi-partisan vote that allows the war to start. It was the nation as a whole that participated and voted in those that made the vote.

So please spare us. You have a real knack of blaming everyone and everything else for any and all issues. No responsibility seems to be your forte.

Forum List

Back