McDonald's may be liable for worker lawsuits

$26k a year is not a living wage (still undefined btw)? I looked up some apartments and you can get one for under $700 a month in Tampa. There is a public transportation system. So someone could rent an apt for $700, keep the power bill around $100 a month, spend $200 on transportation, have a couple of misc bills for $75 each and even save $100 a month. All that on $2,000 a month. (net of $1700, after losing 15% to federal taxes)

Looks like a single wage earned making $500 a week could live on it. Get a Roommate and it would be even cheaper.

You're being way, way to simplistic in your request of JoeB to do your research for you - a living wage isn't a single, one size fits all number, a living wage is a calculation based on many factors. I would've thought you would know that?

Living Wage Calculator

<snip>

The living wage varies based on the cost of living and taxes where families live. Families of four (with two working adults, two children) in the North ($56,179) and West ($53,505) have higher median living wages before taxes than the South ($49,167), and Midwest ($48,496). Within region, the largest variation is between Southern states, where the living wage ranges from $45,655 in South Carolina to $69,820 in the District of Columbia.

In most metropolitan areas, where the US economy and jobs are increasingly concentrated, the living wage is higher than the national median. Consistent with overall regional variation, of the most populous 100 metropolitan areas, Honolulu ($66,554), New York ($67,323), and Washington DC ($69,709) have the highest living wages for the typical family of four.

And here's a link to the Living Wage Calculation for Tampa city, Hillsborough County, Florida

Your wages should be based upon what you contribute to the employer in the value of your labor, not the size of your family or where you live or that your spouse wants to stay at home and your oldest will be heading off to university in a year.

What?
Are you some kind of anti-democratic totalitarianist that thinks all decisions and power should reside in the hands of the few? Not only is your statement anti-democratic, it's anti-capitalist - in a capitalist economy plutocrats do not choose what s/he pays someone, the market would decide, right?

You're being way, way to simplistic in your request of JoeB to do your research for you - a living wage isn't a single, one size fits all number, a living wage is a calculation based on many factors. I would've thought you would know that?

Living Wage Calculator

<snip>

The living wage varies based on the cost of living and taxes where families live. Families of four (with two working adults, two children) in the North ($56,179) and West ($53,505) have higher median living wages before taxes than the South ($49,167), and Midwest ($48,496). Within region, the largest variation is between Southern states, where the living wage ranges from $45,655 in South Carolina to $69,820 in the District of Columbia.

In most metropolitan areas, where the US economy and jobs are increasingly concentrated, the living wage is higher than the national median. Consistent with overall regional variation, of the most populous 100 metropolitan areas, Honolulu ($66,554), New York ($67,323), and Washington DC ($69,709) have the highest living wages for the typical family of four.

And here's a link to the Living Wage Calculation for Tampa city, Hillsborough County, Florida

Your wages should be based upon what you contribute to the employer in the value of your labor, not the size of your family or where you live or that your spouse wants to stay at home and your oldest will be heading off to university in a year.

What?
Are you some kind of anti-democratic totalitarianist that thinks all decisions and power should reside in the hands of the few? Not only is your statement anti-democratic, it's anti-capitalist - in a capitalist economy plutocrats do not choose what s/he pays someone, the market would decide, right?

What he described IS how the market decides your wage...

Reading, its fundamental.

Uh, yeah, guy. Nothing in the contract describing what they did. Nowhere was there clause 42a that said, "If you slip on some ice, we are going to find a way to get you off the payroll because you cost Cigna too much money".

Didn't say that anywhere.

But that's what they did.

And we are supposed to believe that? :eusa_boohoo:

It didn't happen to me, it doesn't count and I don't care.

I'm sure you don't. YOur lack of compassion for people is well noted.

But, yeah, that's what happened. Which is why i'm all for single payer and putting these assholes out of business.

Once we get employers out of the health care business, they are going to have to work a lot harder to get quality people.

Winterborn suffers from a blind spot. He is apparently unable to appreciate that some thing are better in the private sector, but others (health care, pro sports, military, etc) are better done in the public sphere. Maybe he was never educated that form follows function. Good post, Joe.

Last edited:

Living Wage Calculator

<snip>

What?

The employer decides what he wants to pay, which is nothing, and then adjusts that until the market supplies him what he will settle for--a worker.

[

You feel like a victim so you see exploiters everywhere.

But the thing is people with a victim mentality think they are entitled to shit. When they don't get it they start whining and never stop,

You knew what you were getting when you signed that insurance contract didn't you?

Or are you one of those people who will just sign anything?

I don't know if single payer would work, to me it leaves more room for abuse than having choice. And the government can't even take care of veterans do you think that it would give a shit if you died waiting for an operation or some other life saving treatment?

Uh, yeah, guy. Nothing in the contract describing what they did. Nowhere was there clause 42a that said, "If you slip on some ice, we are going to find a way to get you off the payroll because you cost Cigna too much money".

Get another insurance company.

YOu don't get a choice on what insurance your employer picks. And these jokers changed companies three times trying to get something cheaper. (It's why I always find the whining about If you like your insurance hilarious.)

Living Wage Calculator

<snip>

What?

So in your mind the guy with 6 kids who sweeps floors for a living should make more than the single guy who builds houses for a living?

Get another insurance company.

YOu don't get a choice on what insurance your employer picks. And these jokers changed companies three times trying to get something cheaper. (It's why I always find the whining about If you like your insurance hilarious.)

Of course you have a choice.

You can choose not to take your employers insurance and get your own.

In fact I'd wager if you told an employer that you weren't going to take the company insurance that you could have negotiated a higher wage to help offset the cost of buying your own.

For a guy who says his problem solving skills are so good that it would take 3 people to replace him you really seem to have difficulty doing things for yourself

[

In fact I'd wager if you told an employer that you weren't going to take the company insurance that you could have negotiated a higher wage to help offset the cost of buying your own.

For a guy who says his problem solving skills are so good that it would take 3 people to replace him you really seem to have difficulty doing things for yourself

well, no, guy, I've run those calculations in the real world

Real world, they aren't going to give you the 5K they are probably spending on you in a group plan.

Even if they were, a 52 year old with a history of health problem isn't going to get anything all that good on an individual plan.

The minute Obama told them they couldn't cheat their customers anymore, watch how fast most of them got out of the individual policy market.

Now, here's the gag. A guy with a crappy little business like yours that does less business than goes through my cubicle ought to be leaping at the concept of single payer. Now you can compete with the big boys on a more equal level.

But you know, we can't do that because, you know... Freedom.

[

I don't know if single payer would work, to me it leaves more room for abuse than having choice. And the government can't even take care of veterans do you think that it would give a shit if you died waiting for an operation or some other life saving treatment?

Of course, Single Payer would work. It works fine in Canada, Japan, Germany, England, France, Italy and a bunch of smaller countries.

For the VA, the problem there was that you all started a war and then didn't expand the VA to accommedate a bunch of new vets.

Yes, because waiting times in the range of months for some procedures is "fine"

Joey seems to think he would go to the head of the line...

[

Real world, they aren't going to give you the 5K they are probably spending on you in a group plan.

Even if they were, a 52 year old with a history of health problem isn't going to get anything all that good on an individual plan.

The minute Obama told them they couldn't cheat their customers anymore, watch how fast most of them got out of the individual policy market.

Now, here's the gag. A guy with a crappy little business like yours that does less business than goes through my cubicle ought to be leaping at the concept of single payer. Now you can compete with the big boys on a more equal level.

My insurance costs are not very high.

And you might think my business as crappy and little but at least I'm not stuck in a cubicle.

And of all that business that that " goes through your cubicle" how much of it is yours?

So get back to work, wage slave.

[

And you might think my business as crappy and little but at least I'm not stuck in a cubicle.

And of all that business that that " goes through your cubicle" how much of it is yours?

I'm not obsessed by owning things.

Seriously, every time I see you talk, I think of those old Warner Brother Cartoons when Daffy Duck screams, "Mine, mine, mine, all mine!"

Last edited by a moderator:
[

Of course, Single Payer would work. It works fine in Canada, Japan, Germany, England, France, Italy and a bunch of smaller countries.

For the VA, the problem there was that you all started a war and then didn't expand the VA to accommedate a bunch of new vets.

YOu mean non-emergency procedures?

Here's the thing. You guys can do the "socialized medicine horror stories" all day, but the people in those countries live longer, they are healthier overall, they have a lower infant mortality rate, and they spend about half what we do per capita or as a percentage of GDP.

The bottom line of this is a system where the poor get access to good health care is more important than a system where rich people can get instant gratification on elective procedures. At least to decent people.

Some things should be luxury items. The rich should have better cars and better houses if that's what they want to work for, as long as you make sure they aren't cheating their employees and customers in the process.

Health care should not be one of those things.

I'm not obsessed by owning things.

Seriously, every time I see you talk, I think of those old Warner Brother Cartoons when Daffy Duck screams, "Mine, mine, mine, all mine!"

No you whine and like to take credit for things you have nothing to do with.

You are dependent on others and it galls you to know that there are people out there who are not.

Run along now little sheep or your boss might downgrade you to a smaller cubicle.

YOu mean non-emergency procedures?

Here's the thing. You guys can do the "socialized medicine horror stories" all day, but the people in those countries live longer, they are healthier overall, they have a lower infant mortality rate, and they spend about half what we do per capita or as a percentage of GDP.

The bottom line of this is a system where the poor get access to good health care is more important than a system where rich people can get instant gratification on elective procedures. At least to decent people.

Some things should be luxury items. The rich should have better cars and better houses if that's what they want to work for, as long as you make sure they aren't cheating their employees and customers in the process.

Health care should not be one of those things.

Spin you communist bitch, spin spin spin.

And correlation does not equal causation, you keep forgetting that.

You are dependent on others and it galls you to know that there are people out there who are not.

Run along now little sheep or your boss might downgrade you to a smaller cubicle.

More like they are dependent on me.

ANd I have whiny small businessmen saying "How HIgh" when I say jump. So it's a sweet job.

No, but you can draw a straight line between A and B.

Unless you are a wingnut who suffers cognitive dissonance.

"Gee, they don't have a lot of murders in Japan!"

"Because average citizens can't get guns!"

"NO, it can't be that... sputter...sputter...it must because of culture. Or minorities... or something."

Occum's Razor, baby. the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

ANd I have whiny small businessmen saying "How HIgh" when I say jump. So it's a sweet job.

LMAO!!! If you are in a cubicle you are not running anything.

Um, yeah, guy, I manage six million dollars a year in purchases.

I've fired vendors for lack of performance. Every once in a while, one of htem calls me back and asks for another chance.

No, but you can draw a straight line between A and B.

Unless you are a wingnut who suffers cognitive dissonance.

"Gee, they don't have a lot of murders in Japan!"

"Because average citizens can't get guns!"

"NO, it can't be that... sputter...sputter...it must because of culture. Or minorities... or something."

Occum's Razor, baby. the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Unless, of course, you have examples that run counter to your assumptions.

Being able to draw the straight line between two points is still not showing causation.

Um, yeah, guy, I manage six million dollars a year in purchases.

I've fired vendors for lack of performance. Every once in a while, one of htem calls me back and asks for another chance.

Um, no, guy, you manage someone else's accounts. You use someone else's money to buy what someone else needs to run a business. You may have some authority and you may imagine yourself king of your cubicle. But you are not running the show.

Forum List

Back