Meanwhile in Vermont…

You're confused. The news said 1000 year flood plain and that suggests that it would have happened in 923 and shouldn't happen again until 3023.
1000 year flood doesn’t mean it happens every 1000 years it means there is a 1 in 1000 chance it happens in any year.

You could have a thousand year flood 3 years in a row or go 10000 years without it happening once.

I think that was June 2007. I set a record of 9,5” for the event including 7” in 3 hours. ’Filled up the entire basement of one of my houses and flowed out the side door.
LOL....One of my friends had just retired from VDOT (area supervisor) and they brought him back (at 2.5X his former pay) to supervise repairs to a hollow that got washed out in Page County. I rode up there with him and it was unbelievable.

And yeah, people were still pumping their basements out because they had the old type of walk down basement steps with the drain in the bottom but so much water came off the mountain it just filled the steps up like a water tank and then it breached the doors and filled the basements......The VFD was going around pumping the basements out if they could get to them.

Been kidding son in law about using kayak to get to work,
IMG_2451.jpeg

New England, historically is wet. Swamps rivers lakes. Once there were massive mountains, now all eroded and washed out to the sea by thousands of years of rainstorms just like this one.

Build in the valley they said..

Don't worry about runoff they said..

Forum List

Back