Melania threatens to sue video producer

Ummm.. she just laid out the legal requirements for Melania Trump to prove slander.

So I would say that yes, she's heard of it.

No, I would say that's grounds for making a false accusation. Slander is belittling somebody using a false claim.

No, that's not what "slander" is. Particularly not against a public figure.

What Care posted is exactly the legal requirement that Melania would have to meet in order to prove slander.
Why did you use a sphincter as an avatar?

Ummm.. she just laid out the legal requirements for Melania Trump to prove slander.

No, I would say that's grounds for making a false accusation. Slander is belittling somebody using a false claim.

What Care posted is exactly the legal requirement that Melania would have to meet in order to prove slander.

Not at all. Care4 said this:

she would have to prove her son does not have autism and that he was harmed by the claim and that whomever said it

She would have to prove no such thing. It's up to the defendant in such a suit to prove they were right in making such an accusation.

Melania would have to prove damage to her child, but not that he's not autistic. The defendant has to provide that proof.

:lol:

You're just plain wrong. There's really nothing more to say about it.

Melania would not only have to prove that her son doesn't have autism, she'd have to prove that this producer knew that he didn't have autism, and actively lied about it.

Slander doesn't protect against speculation or opinion, it only covers untruths that are put forward as truths.

It's all a moot point anyway, since the guy Melania was threatening to sue is a 20-year old kid with autism himself, who made a YouTube video not to attack Barron Trump, but to share with his friends as a way to increase autism awareness. He has since apologized and taken the video down after being scared shitless by her lawyers, even though they have no legal leg to stand on.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
she can sue, but she would have to open up for 'discovery'.... she would have to prove her son does not have autism and that he was harmed by the claim and that whomever said it, would have had to know it was not true but made the claim anyway...
Or they had a reckless disregard to the truth or falsity of the claim.

A defense would be that much harder because Barron Trump is not a public figure so the standard would be higher.

What about people saying Obama's daughter was smoking weed? What about when people said Obama's daughter was dancing like a slut?

I've never heard anything about it. By "people" are you talking about bloggers here or a prominent entertainment or political figure?

You're serious?

Very serious. I await you to give me what you have.

It's all over the net.

Well Attorney Care4All, did you ever hear of slander? And what's with the left always attacking kids anyway?

...and what's with the right always attacking kids while we're at it?

The bar for slander is very high - that's why there are far fewer law suits then you'd imagine given the amount of crap that's out there.

I don't recall the Republicans attacking children of politicians like I do for the left. Of course if the children get in on the campaign or voice out political views, then all bets are off. But for those kids that don't really want to get involved in their parents profession, they should totally be off limits; especially under age children.

Well, if you're interested in refreshing your conveniently absent memory, you are welcome to use this boards search function to search for "Malia Obama", and see what turns up.

Or you can and post a link here to show me where I'm wrong. When was the last time a Republican attacked kids of a Democrat President or president elect? The closest I can come (from memory) is when some reporter said he seen Chelsea smoking a cigarette. But that's a far cry from making a claim that a candidates child has serious mental illness.

What about people saying Obama's daughter was smoking weed? What about when people said Obama's daughter was dancing like a slut?
They were rude like those who said Trump's son has Down Syndrome.
Unfortunately rude people are everywhere :(

Well Attorney Care4All, did you ever hear of slander? And what's with the left always attacking kids anyway?

...and what's with the right always attacking kids while we're at it?

The bar for slander is very high - that's why there are far fewer law suits then you'd imagine given the amount of crap that's out there.

I don't recall the Republicans attacking children of politicians like I do for the left. Of course if the children get in on the campaign or voice out political views, then all bets are off. But for those kids that don't really want to get involved in their parents profession, they should totally be off limits; especially under age children.

Well, if you're interested in refreshing your conveniently absent memory, you are welcome to use this boards search function to search for "Malia Obama", and see what turns up.

Or you can and post a link here to show me where I'm wrong. When was the last time a Republican attacked kids of a Democrat President or president elect? The closest I can come (from memory) is when some reporter said he seen Chelsea smoking a cigarette. But that's a far cry from making a claim that a candidates child has serious mental illness.

Because she was playing to the camera smoking weed and twerking her ass.

she would have to prove her son does not have autism and that he was harmed by the claim and that whomever said it

She would have to prove no such thing. It's up to the defendant in such a suit to prove they were right in making such an accusation.

Melania would have to prove damage to her child, but not that he's not autistic. The defendant has to provide that proof.

Melania would not only have to prove that her son doesn't have autism, she'd have to prove that this producer knew that he didn't have autism, and actively lied about it.

Slander doesn't protect against speculation or opinion, it only covers untruths that are put forward as truths.

It's all a moot point anyway, since the guy Melania was threatening to sue is a 20-year old kid with autism himself, who made a YouTube video not to attack Barron Trump, but to share with his friends as a way to increase autism awareness. He has since apologized and taken the video down after being scared shitless by her lawyers, even though they have no legal leg to stand on.

Yeah...I'd like for them to show how the accusation caused Barron to lose money because of it too.

He looked like a perfectly good white boy to me. A little tired, why would a young man be tired at 3am?

Yeah, must be autism. Everyone's got it.

I understand we on the right have our differences with those on the left. But I'm shocked that we can't all agree on this issue that kids should be left out of the political wars.

Why did you use a sphincter as an avatar?

Why do you use a sphincter as a brain?

Yeah...I'd like for them to show how the accusation caused Barron to lose money because of it too.
Not in this case. Pecuniary interest is not an issue.

she can sue, but she would have to open up for 'discovery'.... she would have to prove her son does not have autism and that he was harmed by the claim and that whomever said it, would have had to know it was not true but made the claim anyway...

Like Obama's daughters have been attacked?

I've never heard anything about it. By "people" are you talking about bloggers here or a prominent entertainment or political figure?

You're serious?

It's all over the net.

Oh, the net? So what you're saying is I'm correct. Nobody of stature.

You can find anything you want by "individuals" on the net.

He looked like a perfectly good white boy to me. A little tired, why would a young man be tired at 3am?

Yeah, must be autism. Everyone's got it.

I understand we on the right have our differences with those on the left. But I'm shocked that we can't all agree on this issue that kids should be left out of the political wars.

I imagine that we can all agree on that.

What we don't seem to agree on is that words have meanings, and there are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum.

You're serious?

It's all over the net.

Are you under the impression that the "video producer" in the OP is someone of "stature"?

He's a 20-year old kid with a YouTube page.

You're serious?

It's all over the net.

Really? Dude... it's all over the net. Quit being fucking lazy and do your own search and chose whatever source you want to accept. I'm not going to go through this fucking stupid process of posting link after link just so you can say it is fake, or unacceptable, or biased. Look it up for yourself.

I imagine that we can all agree on that.

What we don't seem to agree on is that words have meanings, and there are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum.

Well if you can show me somebody on the right (of prominence) that attacked a child from somebody on the left, then we can agree. But thus far, nobody has been able to provide such evidence. And if you can find something, then I would condemn them as well.

Forum List

Back