🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Memphis City Council unanimously votes to dig up Confederate General, wife

"Your ancestor fought for the right of rich people to own, brutalize and rape other human beings."

Bullshit. You're far too stupid to have a clue what he fought for and absolutely have no right to speak for him.

Yankees were just jealous of Southern prosperity and culture.

Actually, the key word is "embarrassed". As in, "We are embarrassed to have such yokels in our country, making us look stupid in front of the Europeans."

The South fought an unwinnable war for a stupid reason. And they think that's something to be "proud" of.

In a nutshell....

If the Civil War was judged by todays society...Sherman and his men would be jailed and tried for war crimes. The winning army in a war can still commit these. Just as modern US troops have been jailed for crimes while in Iraq.

Uh, no, they really wouldn't have. First, Shermans troops destroyed a lot of infrastructure, but they didn't kill civilians wantonly.

Sherman's march frightened and appalled Southerners. It hurt morale, for civilians had believed the Confederacy could protect the home front. Sherman had terrorized the countryside; his men had destroyed all sources of food and forage and had left behind a hungry and demoralized people. Although he did not level any towns, he did destroy buildings in places where there was resistance. His men had shown little sympathy for Millen, the site of Camp Lawton, where Union prisoners of war were held. Physical attacks on white civilians were few, although it is not known how slave women fared at the hands of the invaders. Often male slaves posted guards outside the cabins of their women.

Sherman s March to the Sea New Georgia Encyclopedia

The war was complicated. And the South was morally wrong. So was the Union. Abraham Lincoln despised blacks. History class rarely teaches that. He wanted all blacks DEPORTED. But because they were "property"...the 4th Amendment prevented him fro seizing them and deporting them. He needed them to be freed....so he could deport them. (GOOGLE IT...its fact.)

actually, that claim comes from one book. Attempting to repatriate the slaves back to Africa didn't start with Lincoln, but he was the one who put an end to it with the Emancipation Proclamation.

History News Network Lincoln and Colonization Navigating the Evidence

Sadly, down in Cleetusland, they'll cling to this to try to rationalize how they were the ones who really love black folks.

There was no moral high ground in that war.

Uh, yes, there was, and the North had it. The North's problem is that it didn't do what winners do today- put the losers on trial and make sure everyone knows they were wrong. This is what we did at the end of WWII.

Yes, that's what I meant. It is unfortunate that Union atrocities were not recorded extensively because the victors write and rewriter history. I am quite sure Union atrocities were more brutal and extensive than it was recorded and that is based on the recorded massacres, rapes and pillaging of Sherman. If that much was recorded can you imagine those which were not recorded?

actually, not much was recorded because it didn't happen. We didn't make Souther Cooters and Cleetuses extinct like they did to the Cherokee or the Apache.

The reality is that the North took more causalities than the South did, and civilian casualties were relatively light.

First, Shermans troops destroyed a lot of infrastructure, but they didn't kill civilians wantonly.
"General Sherman in a June 21, 1864 letter to Lincoln's Secretary of War, Edwin Station wrote, "There is a class of people men, women and children, who must be killed or banished before you can hope for peace and order." Stanton replied, "Your letter of the 21st of June has just reached me and meets my approval." While the war on civilians started much earlier than 1864, the above is simply proof that the war on children was part of that scheme!"
"Sherman once wrote to his wife that his purpose was the "extermination, not of soldiers alone but of the people" of the South. Sherman often ordered his soldiers, many of whom were street criminals from Northern as well as European cities, to shoot civilians at random. And the thousands of letters and diaries that survived the war attest to the rape of both black and white women by Sherman's men."

Yes, that's what I meant. It is unfortunate that Union atrocities were not recorded extensively because the victors write and rewriter history. I am quite sure Union atrocities were more brutal and extensive than it was recorded and that is based on the recorded massacres, rapes and pillaging of Sherman. If that much was recorded can you imagine those which were not recorded?

actually, not much was recorded because it didn't happen. We didn't make Souther Cooters and Cleetuses extinct like they did to the Cherokee or the Apache.

The reality is that the North took more causalities than the South did, and civilian casualties were relatively light.
"It also must be noted that these same tactics used against Southern civilians by Brigadier General George Custer and Major Generals Philip H. Sheridan and William T. Sherman taught them fine art of extermination which they later used so effectively against Native Americans."

[
"It also must be noted that these same tactics used against Southern civilians by Brigadier General George Custer and Major Generals Philip H. Sheridan and William T. Sherman taught them fine art of extermination which they later used so effectively against Native Americans."

Do you have a link to that? Or are you j ust making shit up again.

First, Shermans troops destroyed a lot of infrastructure, but they didn't kill civilians wantonly.
"General Sherman in a June 21, 1864 letter to Lincoln's Secretary of War, Edwin Station wrote, "There is a class of people men, women and children, who must be killed or banished before you can hope for peace and order." Stanton replied, "Your letter of the 21st of June has just reached me and meets my approval." While the war on civilians started much earlier than 1864, the above is simply proof that the war on children was part of that scheme!"
"Sherman once wrote to his wife that his purpose was the "extermination, not of soldiers alone but of the people" of the South. Sherman often ordered his soldiers, many of whom were street criminals from Northern as well as European cities, to shoot civilians at random. And the thousands of letters and diaries that survived the war attest to the rape of both black and white women by Sherman's men."

Wow, another unlinked source.

Wow, joe bitching about an unlinked source. That is you What you do all the time, you make up shit with no links. Then you have the nerve to bitch about others?

What an idiot!

[

Do you have a link to that? Or are you j ust making shit up again.
Are you projecting your practice on me such as making shit up? Just enter "Sherman's atrocities and war crimes into your search engine" in any combination of the words. You need to work a little but it will be worthwhile to educate yourself. On the other hand I do not make shit up to prove a point. That would be lying and I owe that much to myself not sink to your level of lying. It is called integrity and honesty (alien concept to you, I know, but you should try it, that way you never have to remember what you lied about) capisci?

Last edited:

See post #269

Wow, joe bitching about an unlinked source. That is you What you do all the time, you make up shit with no links. Then you have the nerve to bitch about others?

What an idiot!
There was a reason for not to post a link. ;) That way he will find a whole lot of references he can check out. :popcorn:

"Nope...he's spot on. You just, unfortunately, bought into the "Lost Cause" story very carefully cultivated in the South since the 1870s".

Nope, you've just bought into Northern revisionist Propaganda.

What an idiot!
There was a reason for not to post a link. ;) That way he will find a whole lot of references he can check out. :popcorn:
That seems like a lame excuse for not being able to show evidence of what you are stating as factual. How much research must one be expected to do before coming upon this account? I am ready to accept it as fact if I can see some sources to verify the account or data as valid.

Generals Sherman and Sheridan The War Criminals - Riverside Civil War History Examiner.com

Generals Sherman and Sheridan: The War Criminals

During the War Between the States the Union forces were waging war on women and children on two separate fronts, raping, pillaging and murdering in the South as well as in the West. The most notorious of these thugs reported to General William Tecumseh Sherman, famous for his march to the sea. But long before that he had adopted a policy of “total war” against civilians.

In 1862 Sherman was having difficulty subduing Confederate sharpshooters who were harassing federal gunboats on the Mississippi River near Memphis. He then implemented the theory of “collective responsibility” to “justify” attacking innocent civilians in retaliation for such attacks. He had the entire town of Randolph, Tennessee burned to the ground. He also took civilian hostages and either traded them for federal prisoners of war or executed them.

More at above link.

What an idiot!
That seems like a lame excuse for not being able to show evidence of what you are stating as factual. How much research must one be expected to do before coming upon this account? I am ready to accept it as fact if I can see some sources to verify the account or data as valid.
With all due respect, I do not give a fuck what it seems like to you or doesn't seem like to you. How long it would have taken for me to paste the link? 3 seconds maybe? I want you to see that there are numerous webpages if you enter the search words. Pick whichever page you want, pick all. But you do not want to face the truth you won't look. Your mushroom life (they kept you in the dark and fed you shit) developed a one track thinking mechanism.

Generals Sherman and Sheridan The War Criminals - Riverside Civil War History Examiner.com

During the War Between the States the Union forces were waging war on women and children on two separate fronts, raping, pillaging and murdering in the South as well as in the West. The most notorious of these thugs reported to General William Tecumseh Sherman, famous for his march to the sea. But long before that he had adopted a policy of “total war” against civilians.

In 1862 Sherman was having difficulty subduing Confederate sharpshooters who were harassing federal gunboats on the Mississippi River near Memphis. He then implemented the theory of “collective responsibility” to “justify” attacking innocent civilians in retaliation for such attacks. He had the entire town of Randolph, Tennessee burned to the ground. He also took civilian hostages and either traded them for federal prisoners of war or executed them.

More at above link.
I have seen this account and have been aware of it for a long time. I am looking for the account that has sources noted. Otherwise, it is just hearsay. Might be true, but it might not. To be honest, the accounts that dispute this account fail to give sources also. So far it appears to be one of those stories that just gets repeated over and over as different authors plagiarize the original story.

More at above link.
I have seen this account and have been aware of it for a long time. I am looking for the account that has sources noted. Otherwise, it is just hearsay. Might be true, but it might not. To be honest, the accounts that dispute this account fail to give sources also. So far it appears to be one of those stories that just gets repeated over and over as different authors plagiarize the original story.
For a more in depth study of this topic get a copy of War Crimes Against Southern Civilians by Walter Brian Cisco. It is very graphic and sometimes disturbing to read but you will have a greater understanding of native Southern sympathies against “damn” Yankees.

More at above link.

Yep. You're exactly right.

Southern snipers wrecked havoc on the British in the Revolutionary War. Legendary stuff. Years of hunting and comfort with weapons and a familiarity with the land.

Sherman and the Union were facing the same sniper hell. So....unlike most of the British military. ..they decided to unleash hell on civilians to punish the innocent and cause those snipers to want to return home and get their kids out.

War crimes.

More at above link.

Yep. You're exactly right.

Southern snipers wrecked havoc on the British in the Revolutionary War. Legendary stuff. Years of hunting and comfort with weapons and a familiarity with the land.

Sherman and the Union were facing the same sniper hell. So....unlike most of the British military. ..they decided to unleash hell on civilians to punish the innocent and cause those snipers to want to return home and get their kids out.

War crimes.
Unfortunately those kids were massacred…..

More at above link.
For a more in depth study of this topic get a copy of War Crimes Against Southern Civilians by Walter Brian Cisco. It is very graphic and sometimes disturbing to read but you will have a greater understanding of native Southern sympathies against “damn” Yankees.

Excellent source. Northern folks will never "get it". In a way...its almost how some Arabs who never had terrorist ties...will hold animosity for America...because of what some rogue troops may have done. Except while todays US Army that is a rare and rogue criminal soldier who may do shit....in 1862-64 it was literally the official strategy of the Union generals....to devastate civilians and non military targets. Punish the citizens into...well...hell. Total war. More brutal than the blitzkrieg honestly.

That animosity remaines in some Southern regions for decades and decades....especially rural areas.

When its combined with Northern transplants moving here...with a generally uppity attitude and bad manners...no wonder many Southerners dont care for them. And it has nothing to do with slavery or not liking black people.

But again....Northern liberals dont and never will "get it".

Forum List

Back