Mentally Challenged Man Unintentionally Shoots and Kills Sister with a Golden Gun

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Marcus Anderson, Alicia Anderson: Mentally challenged man shoots and kills sister with a golden gun.

Several readers have sent me this tragic story from the St. Louis area, about a mentally challenged 20-year-old man named Marcus Anderson who reportedly shot and killed his 15-year-old sister with a loaded shotgun he found behind a dresser. The shotgun, which belonged to a family friend, had been spray-painted gold, and Anderson apparently thought it was a toy. He has been arrested and charged with second-degree involuntary manslaughter. The owner of the gun, as far as I know, has not been charged with anything; nor has Anderson's mother, who, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, told police that she was the one who hid the gun behind the dresser.

Last edited:
With a headline like, that, it appears you're racing for first in mentally handicapper of the year.

Well he certainly stood his ground, didn't he?

I know I feel safer knowing he has access to a weapon.

Less then 800 accidental deaths a year due to shootings. How many people are in this Country? 340 million? Do the math.

As for this particular case the shooter should not be charged for anything. His mother and the family friend are the ones that caused it. But depending on State law they may not be able to charge them.

Sometimes an accident is just an accident.

An old friend of mine was sitting around with a bunch of friends sharpening their knives. This old friend was killed when after he answered the phone, he came back a plopped down on the couch sitting on a knife that fell between the cushions.

Because of this accident and his own carelessness he is dead, but I blame the knife.

And I wonder how many illegal guns were used in shootings the same day in Chicago?

Less then 800 accidental deaths a year due to shootings. How many people are in this Country? 340 million? Do the math.

As for this particular case the shooter should not be charged for anything. His mother and the family friend are the ones that caused it. But depending on State law they may not be able to charge them.

The fact that they painted the gun gold where a child or someone with a child's mind might think it was a toy, borders on negligence.

And, yes, 800 accidental gun deaths are too many.

With a headline like, that, it appears you're racing for first in mentally handicapper of the year.

I'm sure you found that funny, Corky.... but the short bus will be around for you shortly...

So what law would you propose that would have prevented this?

a ban on painting guns gold?

A ban on privately owned guns would be nice, as if you aren't a cop or a soldier, you have no real valid reason to own one.

Failing that, we should treat gun ownership the way Germany does. You can have a gun, but ONLY after you have been registered, trained, background checked and monitored.

Marcus Anderson, Alicia Anderson: Mentally challenged man shoots and kills sister with a golden gun.

Several readers have sent me this tragic story from the St. Louis area, about a mentally challenged 20-year-old man named Marcus Anderson who reportedly shot and killed his 15-year-old sister with a loaded shotgun he found behind a dresser. The shotgun, which belonged to a family friend, had been spray-painted gold, and Anderson apparently thought it was a toy. He has been arrested and charged with second-degree involuntary manslaughter. The owner of the gun, as far as I know, has not been charged with anything; nor has Anderson's mother, who, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, told police that she was the one who hid the gun behind the dresser.

Hid it behind the dresser like an Easter Egg.

I have no problem with responsible people owning guns. I do have a problem with fucking idiots owning guns. If you have a mentally challenged child/young adult living with you, owning and/or storing a gun in what is basically open sight is just asking for trouble. I don't own any guns because both of my teenage sons are super hot heads and are always threatening to kill each other. Much of it is just sibling rivalry, but at times it goes beyond that. I'm smart enough to understand that keeping a gun in my house would pose a greater risk to my family via some type of tragedy versus not being able to defend myself should someone break into my home.

Bottom line is that this wasn't the kid's fault. It was his mother's fault. Sad.

I'm sure you found that funny, Corky.... but the short bus will be around for you shortly...

So what law would you propose that would have prevented this?

a ban on painting guns gold?

A ban on privately owned guns would be nice, as if you aren't a cop or a soldier, you have no real valid reason to own one.

Failing that, we should treat gun ownership the way Germany does. You can have a gun, but ONLY after you have been registered, trained, background checked and monitored.

:rolleyes:

How about you move to Germany...so much simpler and elegant a solution...

Last edited:
Fought with my brothers all the time. We all knew exactly where the loaded guns were and knew when we were supposed to go get them and when not.... Only accidental shooting was when a shell got stuck in the chamber of a shot gun and it went off while Dad was trying to clear it...With the gun pointed up and away from everyone or anything other than the attic....

Forum List

Back